IGNORED

Adam Nagy

SouthStand Sandwich

1 hour ago, Lez said:

Based on his track record, international experiences, and the 1 game he played when fit.

Track record? 
Nagy played barely a full season over 3 years at Bologna - 31 starts, 1 assist, 1 goal - in 3 seasons. 
That’s also in a team which finished 15th in two of those years (they finished 10th in his 3rd season there, but he only made 1 start). 

By comparison, Marlon Pack has played 6 seasons at Bristol City, being pretty much an ever present in the majority of that time, racking up 244 appearances. 

International experience. 
Ok, so Nagy has 30 odd more caps than Pack. Trust me, if Pack was Hungarian he’d probably have 100 caps and be their captain. 
Nagy has 36 caps gained over a 5 year period, so not exactly a regular starter. For a country ranked below Iran, Ireland, Algeria, Morocco, Bosnia, Iceland, Tunisia, Romania, Australia, Jamaica. 
The current midfield competition he faces for a place in this lowly ranked nation currently ply their trade in the luminary leagues of Slovakia, Austria, Hungary and The United Arab Emirates!!! 
Now, I don’t have a great knowledge of those leagues, but I’d be pretty confident in saying the Championship is a highly more competitive and quality standard than those. 

Lez’s eyes. 
You saw him play 1 game when fit. Where yes, he did have a good game. What a body of work to make a judgement upon versus 244 appearances and an integral part of a team that rose from the bottom of L1 to the top 10 of the Championship. 

I’ll reserve judgement on Nagy as to how he compares to Pack, when Nagy has shown he can actually be fit, for one, and two, play at the consistent level Pack played at for 6 years (I’ll be kind to Nagy and just ask for 1 year of consistent service for me to make a comparison). But even that seems to be a big ask. 

3 hours ago, OldlandReddies said:

Smith/Palmer is the perfect combo for me as long as Afobe is in front of them. As simple as that. Can't see what the problem is Lee ?????

I'm the opposition manager and I overload 2 on Smith and one to take advantage of Palmer's defensive shortcomings. Or indeed to track and neutralise him? Or maybe if I fancy one of my CM's in a 1 v 1 with Smith, it's 2 on Palmer to a) Stop and b) Counterpress in on him.

2 v 1 and 3 v 2- your move? ;) I'd love as a Championship manager to see that midfield 2 up against me- good chance to overload, outnumber- outmanoeuvre.

Saw your side higher up too. Williams was once excellent, though even a few years ago not the quickest. He's good for us but he is now 35.

You get past that midfield shield such as it is, and one of the 3 CBs is Williams- I get a runner up against him- say 4-3-3- to maybe try and chance it, to gain a red card or penalty, as we saw vs Brentford he had a significant headstart and ended up getting the 2nd yellow! He's the CB I'd look to target in a back 3 generally though.

Not even considered flanks yet but why not. Supply line to Weimann, Wells and Afobe an issue but Weimann I guess can pull wide right to help Hunt out defensively and offensively. And vice versa. Would Wells cover DaSilva adequately though? If not, it's a 2 v 1 on the left as well, or general possible quick switch and overload.

7 minutes ago, Harry said:

Track record? 
Nagy played barely a full season over 3 years at Bologna - 31 starts, 1 assist, 1 goal - in 3 seasons. 
That’s also in a team which finished 15th in two of those years (they finished 10th in his 3rd season there, but he only made 1 start). 

By comparison, Marlon Pack has played 6 seasons at Bristol City, being pretty much an ever present in the majority of that time, racking up 244 appearances. 

Ok, so Nagy has 30 odd more caps than Pack. Trust me, if Pack was Hungarian he’d probably have 100 caps and be their captain. 
Nagy has 36 caps gained over a 5 year period, so not exactly a regular starter. For a country ranked below Iran, Ireland, Algeria, Morocco, Bosnia, Iceland, Tunisia, Romania, Australia, Jamaica. 
The current midfield competition he faces for a place in this lowly ranked nation currently ply their trade in the luminary leagues of Slovakia, Austria, Hungary and The United Arab Emirates!!! 
Now, I don’t have a great knowledge of those leagues, but I’d be pretty confident in saying the Championship is a highly more competitive and quality standard than those. 

Lez’s eyes. 
You saw him play 1 game when fit. Where yes, he did have a good game. What a body of work to make a judgement upon versus 244 appearances and an integral part of a team that rose from the bottom of L1 to the top 10 of the Championship. 

I’ll reserve judgement on Nagy as to how he compares to Pack, when Nagy has shown he can actually be fit, for one, and two, play at the consistent level Pack played at for 6 years (I’ll be kind to Nagy and just ask for 1 year of consistent service for me to make a comparison). But even that seems to be a big ask. 

I'm not sure what the point of this is. 

1 minute ago, Leveller said:

Possibly challenging your assertion that Nagy is a much better player than Pack?

Just guessing.

As a team we’ve certainly lost our way since we sold Pack.

We sold him in August and had spells in the playoffs since then and up until yesterday were 7th. So sorry to disapoint but you were factually wrong.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Track record? 

Lez’s eyes. 

40 starts in Serie A, according to Transfermarkt.

I get your point, I get your comparison player v player.  But comparing Serie A appearances v Championship is not comparing like with like. I could argue has Pack played any Prem games.

They are different types of midfielder too, but both play in midfield.

The Pack of 17/18 was peak-Pack.  He was not the same player in 18/19.  You could argue he missed Smith.  Personally I don’t think that was it, but the Pack of 17/18 was a threat all over the middle  third of the pitch.

I think you can be a tad over-critical of anyone who plays in midfield.

Personally, I agree with you,  I don’t think he’ll have the sane influence as peak-Pack what what I’ve seen, but I don’t think he is anywhere near as poor as you make out, nor is Massengo.

But it’s all about opinions, and I know you put a lot effort into your game-watching / reviewing, etc.

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

40 starts in Serie A, according to Transfermarkt.

I get your point, I get your comparison player v player.  But comparing Serie A appearances v Championship is not comparing like with like. I could argue has Pack played any Prem games.

They are different types of midfielder too, but both play in midfield.

The Pack of 17/18 was peak-Pack.  He was not the same player in 18/19.  You could argue he missed Smith.  Personally I don’t think that was it, but the Pack of 17/18 was a threat all over the middle  third of the pitch.

I think you can be a tad over-critical of anyone who plays in midfield.

Personally, I agree with you,  I don’t think he’ll have the sane influence as peak-Pack what what I’ve seen, but I don’t think he is anywhere near as poor as you make out, nor is Massengo.

But it’s all about opinions, and I know you put a lot effort into your game-watching / reviewing, etc.

Sorry. I’d actually got the stats from transfermarkt and misread his 18/19. I thought it said 1 start, but it was 10, so yes, a total of 40, not 31. You are correct Dave. 
Anyway, my point was not necessarily that Pack is a world beater, more that Lez chose to state Nagy was better based on track record, international apps, and 1 game for us!! 
I thought I’d make the point that his track record isn’t really all that and his international record is bitty and for a 3rd rate nation in the rankings. 
Re the Serie A/Champ comparison, I’d say most people would say that the bottom end of Serie A is of the same standard/rep as the top of the champ. So Bologna and City are probably quite comparable. Nagy was a bit-part, Pack an ever-present. 

2 hours ago, Harry said:

Track record? 

Lez’s eyes. 

i dont think we will see 1 full season out of him.something not quite right in there somewhere and i dont believe he is fully committed to bristol city, perhaps he came here hoping to do a kodjia,i dont know

33 minutes ago, paul_fox said:

Can't see him being here next season. Probably not up for the physicality of the league and hasn't got his heart into it to be here now. 

This. He comes across as an intelligent lad and would have been well aware of the physicality of the championship but like most foreign footballers the chance to play in England even to just say they have ‘’done it’’ so to speak is too much of a draw.. It’s not worked out for him for whatever reason and its a shame as there is a cracking ball playing midfielder in there. At times in certain games at the start of the season he oozed a type of class i have rarely (if at all) seen in a City midfielder. A shame but i think a loan out to a club on the continent with a view to a permanent deal would be the most sensible option for the club.

4 hours ago, bcfcbulgaria said:

I don't like the lad at all...I mean have you seen that video from Failand when he said "stop filming me man" with that pissed off grim on his face. Let him go.

They had a camera in his face whilst he was concentrating trying to put a plaster on what looked like a blister. I'd have told them to piss off as well.

14 minutes ago, ohhhshauntaylor said:

Add him to the list. 
Hegelar, Djuric, Engvall, Pisano, Marinovic, 

Nah I'm not having Djuric and Pisano on a list with those other 3. Milan and Eros were at the club a short time but acquitted themselves well.

Away at Birmingham he looked like he could become our best CM by some distance, same again at home to QPR. Injury must have really hit him hard, may still not be 100%? See a lot of players playing through injury/delaying surgery to play, could be a similar situation

Midfield is a mess for us, too many players with similar characteristics but none are particularly effective.

we need to play 3 to compete, and we needed the strong leader that henrikkson should have been. As it stands, playing 2 of the young ones is questionable, 3 would be suicide, which means smith has to play. Then who??? Id be looking at Massengo, then probably walsh, but thats a whole lot of players not getting games

23 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Dont buy any more players from Italy. Whether it's the club overexaggerated propaganda or what attracting them but the reality is no one who has lived in Italy would rather live in Bristol. Djuric, Nagy, Magnussen. All sound great, all couldn't hack it here professionally and or sociologically.  

I think that's a little broad-brushed, we've had more problems with Scots recently.

Magnússon went to Russia, so that's hardly an easy choice.

15 hours ago, Harry said:

Track record? 

Lez’s eyes. 

Spot on.

In effect this season we have traded a top eight Championship midfield pairing in Pack & Brownhill for an 18 year old kid with potential & Nagy, who has over the last 2 seasons struggled to get into Bologna’s side, plus for a short while Henriksen, who LJ then ditched after 4 games.

All this optimism over our young players like Walsh (7 Championship starts ever) & Morrell (none) is based on what, exactly? League One performances against the likes of the Gas, though to be fair to Morrell he has done well for Wales, too.

I’d love to see one of them be a major part of next season’s midfield but it is complete fantasy land to think both of them & Szmodics could all be our first choices against the likes of Norwich & Villa.

2 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

It is too early to write off Adam Nagy. We are yet to see a run of games from him when he is actually 100% fit.

This is my view as well. 

Nagy isn't a guy who seems to respond to Johnson's tombola in one week/out the next approach.  He looks poor when he hasn't played, but seems to grow in confidence once he has a game or two under his belt.

And we know he can deliver a beautiful pass. 

Archived