IGNORED

Adam Nagy

SouthStand Sandwich

I want to love Nagy but I just can't.... Yet. The coming weeks will probably dictate his future. I would imagine a fully fit and motivated Nagy would be kicking LJ's door down after Saturday's game demanding minutes. 

I would experiment with the following 4-4-2 (diamond midfield).

Nicky M

Pereira. Kalas Backer Jay DS

Rowe

Eliason.                 Nagy

Weinman

Wells      Afobe

I think we missed AW on Saturday. His industry off the ball is exceptional. He also has the footballing intelligence to play just in behind the strikers. That free role would cause the opposition midfielder all kinds of problems. I think he would find a lot of space due to his work rate. You would hate to be his market. 

Try Rowe just in front of back 4. Push Jay DS on in possession and get Nagy on the ball higher up the field. His interplay with AW would open up defences. 

If we could play on the front foot and get in behind teams Jay DS and NE would deliver excellent balls into the box for Adobe and Wells.

However it must be stated that Korey Smith's range of passing was excellent on Saturday. Perhaps the only plus point. 

On 22/06/2020 at 12:50, WayOutWest said:

I want to love Nagy but I just can't.... Yet. The coming weeks will probably dictate his future. I would imagine a fully fit and motivated Nagy would be kicking LJ's door down after Saturday's game demanding minutes. 

Nicky M

Rowe

Weinman

Wells      Afobe

I think we missed AW on Saturday. His industry off the ball is exceptional. He also has the footballing intelligence to play just in behind the strikers. That free role would cause the opposition midfielder all kinds of problems. I think he would find a lot of space due to his work rate. You would hate to be his market. 

Try Rowe just in front of back 4. Push Jay DS on in possession and get Nagy on the ball higher up the field. His interplay with AW would open up defences. 

If we could play on the front foot and get in behind teams Jay DS and NE would deliver excellent balls into the box for Adobe and Wells.

However it must be stated that Korey Smith's range of passing was excellent on Saturday. Perhaps the only plus point. 

Elliason, Afobe, Wells and Weimann in the same team, you're not exactly George Graham are you? ?

I want to love Nagy but I just can't.... Yet. The coming weeks will probably dictate his future. I would imagine a fully fit and motivated Nagy would be kicking LJ's door down after Saturday's game demanding minutes

Johnson's response would be  "I'll give you two".

Nicky M

Rowe

Weinman

Wells      Afobe

Could possibly see us losing the centre and gradually pushed back, pressed in strategic areas and getting sprung on the break- or maybe a bit of both. Interesting idea though- trying to think how it would match up on Sunday...

It's an interesting idea though- if Sheffield Wednesday field a 3-5-2, we may not get exposed and may be able to expose them in wider areas?

That Club appearance record is less than impressive and should have triggered alarm bells.

Then there’s our infamous DNA test. Don’t think that’s fit for purpose tbh. 

So Nagy - another of our ‘nice blokes’ - adds to the mounting debit side of LJs management debit/credit equation.

Don’t think players like these would last 5 minutes under a Warnock regime frankly.

On 22/06/2020 at 11:32, sephjnr said:

How long before the restauarant owner realises that the ingredients aren't the problem?

Yeah, it's the chef......top quality ingredients bought for decent money.

Then chef messes with the recipe every service, throws random ingredients into the pot (apart from one or two trusted ingredients he always uses) - never cooks the same dish twice with any consistently, can't resist tinkering with the recipe and then wonders why it tastes bloody awfull .

On 21/06/2020 at 10:23, cidercity1987 said:

Dont buy any more players from Italy. Whether it's the club overexaggerated propaganda or what attracting them but the reality is no one who has lived in Italy would rather live in Bristol. Djuric, Nagy, Magnussen. All sound great, all couldn't hack it here professionally and or sociologically.  

Italy isn't the problem or issue. I think they all have the same representative. Or management company. Maybe our COO has a relationship or understanding with them??

On 21/06/2020 at 18:13, And Its Smith said:

Well my XI wouldn’t have one central midfielder in it. 

The XI that gets most of the better players in their best position is 5-3-2 and includes Palmer is

Maenpaa

Kalas.  Benkovic. Baker

Pereira.                           Dasilva.    
              Smith.  Nagy

Palmer

Afobe.  Wells

Not a massive fan of the formation though nor Palmer so that wouldn’t be my team.  

Very hard to get those two strikers in a team without losing the midfield or wings.  

Why are so  many people insistent that Palmer should play? He's talented but only affects maybe 1 in 4 games he plays but doesn't contribute when he's below par

5 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Why are so  many people insistent that Palmer should play? He's talented but only affects maybe 1 in 4 games he plays but doesn't contribute when he's below par

Because the alternatives are 1 in 20 CoD, and a 1 in 8 Pato.

Our midfield, which should be our strength given the Manager being a midfielder,  is nothing short of wretched.

The XI that gets most of the better players in their best position is 5-3-2 and includes Palmer is

Maenpaa

Kalas.  Benkovic. Baker

Smith.  Nagy

Palmer

Afobe.  Wells

Not a massive fan of the formation though nor Palmer so that wouldn’t be my team.  

Very hard to get those two strikers in a team without losing the midfield or wings.  

“Well my XI...” 

“Not a massive fan of the formation ... so that wouldn’t be my team ...”

... so you were asked what would be your team and you posted a line up that wouldn’t be your team ... bit confusing I’m sure you’d agree 

59 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Our midfield, which should be our strength given the Manager being a midfielder,  is nothing short of wretched.

I think a different manager would get more out of our midfield, I'm sure of it.

Two centrally loses the centre. Two and Palmer can also be overrun. Even two and Paterson can be vulnerable.

Sadly it's a recurring then me. Happens, happens again, again and again... I remember this time last week on here predicting the risk and pitfalls of if we had two central and Blackburn had say Travis, Evans, with Holtby dropping back.

Think it panned out along those lines- as fans we can see it, oppositon managers they sure as hell can see it. Sadly the one who selects the team, tactics etc- seems either unwilling to see it or incapable of doing so!

46 minutes ago, The Bard said:

I know I keep showing little charts but they help explain things. Red is starts, yellow is sub, grey is unused sub.  If you zoom in you can see minutes played.  This is league games only.

5872247B-CE35-4FF8-8DEB-B6421BCAF421.thumb.jpeg.80c605a1e392c4054495ae68b47ab412.jpeg

This shows our midfielders, minus Tommy Rowe, as he’s predominantly played LWB.

Palmer is an enigma, but do enigmas benefit from playing here and there.  There is no doubt that his early season form was good, the link with Afobe...and Weimann.  But you start to see starts drop off, subs even drop off...he doesn’t even make the 18 for some games.  He got through two tough away games at PNE and Brentford with draws, appearances then become sporadic, the away defeat at Luton (after a bright start, it was one of the most inept team performances of the season), seemed to be the point LJ gave up on him.

O’Dowda, the other enigma (much less talented imho).  Out of favour early season, he gets a chance v Charlton (Brownhill late winner match), where we switch to a diamond late on, and Callum does well.  Gets a little run of 6 starts, inc away at Barnsley and Cardiff where he does well, but by the time we get crushed 4-1 by West Brom, he’s the next one to be given up on.  Gets a reprieve v Wednesday (another dog shit team performance) before cast aside until February v West Brom.

Formation changes don’t help, as Palmer seems to only be ok in a 5212 (but has played in other formations elsewhere.  O’Dowda typically 4231/442 type systems.

The Head Coach doesn’t stick with anything for too long.  Certain players survive a cull, but others, probably the ones that need a bit of a run, don’t get it.

Don't get me wrong, I don’t think there is a magic system, a magic eleven that guarantees results....but I don’t think constant changes help in anyway either.

52 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

“Well my XI...” 

“Not a massive fan of the formation ... so that wouldn’t be my team ...”

... so you were asked what would be your team and you posted a line up that wouldn’t be your team ... bit confusing I’m sure you’d agree 

It’s quite clear what I meant if you read what I was replying too as a conversation but you know that are just pretending to be confused.  Guess I am back living in your head again. Been a while.

12 hours ago, CodeRed said:

Yeah, it's the chef......top quality ingredients bought for decent money.

Then chef messes with the recipe every service, throws random ingredients into the pot (apart from one or two trusted ingredients he always uses) - never cooks the same dish twice with any consistently, can't resist tinkering with the recipe and then wonders why it tastes bloody awfull .

Get Gordon Ramsey in to sort then!?

13 hours ago, RedRock said:

1 in 8?

Paterson has started 10 games this season, in that time he has scored 4 times & has 2 assists.

You may not like him (& of course yes, he is inconsistent) but his contribution pisses all over Palmer’s 1 goal & 2 assists in more appearances.

26 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

1 in 8?

Paterson has started 10 games this season, in that time he has scored 4 times & has 2 assists.

You may not like him (& of course yes, he is inconsistent) but his contribution pisses all over Palmer’s 1 goal & 2 assists in more appearances.

Pato has done better since he came back in January.  He is good looking at the key stats.  Despite his goal on Saturday his contribution was poor...but he has had some good games....and I’d rather play him over both O’Dowda and Eliasson.  Playing all three is never gonna work.  It didn’t!  Playing two is too much of a luxury.

12 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I know I keep showing little charts but they help explain things. Red is starts, yellow is sub, grey is unused sub.  If you zoom in you can see minutes played.  This is league games only.

5872247B-CE35-4FF8-8DEB-B6421BCAF421.thumb.jpeg.80c605a1e392c4054495ae68b47ab412.jpeg

This shows our midfielders, minus Tommy Rowe, as he’s predominantly played LWB.

Palmer is an enigma, but do enigmas benefit from playing here and there.  There is no doubt that his early season form was good, the link with Afobe...and Weimann.  But you start to see starts drop off, subs even drop off...he doesn’t even make the 18 for some games.  He got through two tough away games at PNE and Brentford with draws, appearances then become sporadic, the away defeat at Luton (after a bright start, it was one of the most inept team performances of the season), seemed to be the point LJ gave up on him.

O’Dowda, the other enigma (much less talented imho).  Out of favour early season, he gets a chance v Charlton (Brownhill late winner match), where we switch to a diamond late on, and Callum does well.  Gets a little run of 6 starts, inc away at Barnsley and Cardiff where he does well, but by the time we get crushed 4-1 by West Brom, he’s the next one to be given up on.  Gets a reprieve v Wednesday (another dog shit team performance) before cast aside until February v West Brom.

Formation changes don’t help, as Palmer seems to only be ok in a 5212 (but has played in other formations elsewhere.  O’Dowda typically 4231/442 type systems.

The Head Coach doesn’t stick with anything for too long.  Certain players survive a cull, but others, probably the ones that need a bit of a run, don’t get it.

Don't get me wrong, I don’t think there is a magic system, a magic eleven that guarantees results....but I don’t think constant changes help in anyway either.

Interestingly you seem to feel Eliasson can be sold, as, despite his assists, he is too much of a risk otherwise.

If, as one of our most effective attackers, he is too much of a luxury, surely Palmer is even more so? 

2 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Interestingly you seem to feel Eliasson can be sold, as, despite his assists, he is too much of a risk otherwise.

If, as one of our most effective attackers, he is too much of a luxury, surely Palmer is even more so? 

Yes I do.

Very different argument with Palmer.  He knows tactically how to receive, how to make angles.  He needs to work on his pressing I accept.  I think he has a football brain.

Eliasson is a year older too, if I had to back one, it would be KP.  I think we saw there is a way of getting the best out of KP, without building it totally around him.

Eliasson doesn’t want to stay either, has a year left, has some value that I’d want to take advantage of.

When LJ realises out and out wingers don’t work in his system(s), then players like Palmer and Pato become key to creation.

Maenpaa

Kalas.  Benkovic. Baker

Smith.  Nagy

Palmer

Afobe.  Wells

This would be my team for Sunday, wth Eliasson and O'Dowda on the bench we will always have the option to change things if we need a spark

On 21/06/2020 at 20:41, Leveller said:

As a team we’ve certainly lost our way since we sold Pack.

We were doing alright when we scraped past Fulham in December. The two home games after that seemed to de-rail us.

After beating Fulham, we were level on points with them, joint third in the table; eight points off the top; +5 GD. In the thick of it.

18 games on, and we are: nine points behind Fulham, 16 points off the top, -4 GD. Slipping away.

Hardly surprising we have struggled in midfield, a guy with less than 50 games in 3 years, and a kid with minimal experience, both new to English football was a massive gamble. Palmer was unimpressive last year, so no idea why we signed him. Smith was unlikely to recapture form quickly after injury issues. 

He certainly does train them to play to his instructions.

Sadly, with the exception of certain periods- think first 5-6 months and the odd game here and there of 2017/18, and yeah tbh there was some okay stuff in the run ins of relegation survival in 2015/16 and 2016/17 but not vintage, and the reasonable spells last year but less so- it's not a lot to show for 4 and a half seasons.

This tells me that his instructions, his system are flawed- perhaps fatally so.

Archived