IGNORED

Next season

The Bard

23 hours ago, Atyeo's Love Child said:

Never been in the Johnson out camp previously, but hard to see any other option if we don’t want more of the same next season... we will have to probably lose 5 or 6 of the remaining 8 games for SL to make that call.

I have never wanted a Bristol City team to lose games but this season is finished, the games are woeful without fans and it all just seems a pointless exercise with money being the only reason this season is being finished.. Honestly if losing the next 6 out of 8 meant the board would pull the trigger and get rid of LJ and his management team then i would begrudgingly be for it.

I can’t see us watching home games from the gate until late October so give it a few months and they will be trying to persuade me to let them keep my season ticket money with talk of a promotion push, how we are almost there and how a tv voucher and my name in the programme is the only decision a true fan will make .

well not this time, if Lee is still there and if Saturdays boring performance is anything to go on it’s a cash refund for missed games

it’s a small stance but it really is a good way of sending a message to Steve Lansdown of enough is enough 

2 hours ago, Clutton Caveman said:

One problem with your team plan. What happens when we play teams like West Brom, Millwall or Blackburn who have 11 6 feet 3 monsters

LJ has recruited in his own image and since Pack has gone we barely win a header in midfield and get out muscled every week

A good bigun is always better than a good littlun and with your front 3 and midfield we would be swamped

I'm going to look at the height averages and sometimes weight averages come up top, of WBA and Blackburn especially. Millwall as an example probably closest to your blueprint. 

We get out muscled arguably but we also often get out thought too. That midfield 3 would prevent the latter certainly. WBA are a mix of technique and physique, Blackburn have elements of each and wasn't aware physique the decisive factor or Millwall would be top!

I'm sure I looked at WBA heights earlier in season in fact and Livermore aside, didn't seem packed with physicality. In midfield certainly!

Their Pereira is one of the players of the season. Skill or physique? To add to that, just has a quick check Pereira, Krovinovic and Sawyers all 5 ft 8/9. I guess they must be swamped week in week out...except they aren't!

I've not bothered with a season ticket for the forthcoming season. Nothing to do with money I couldn't stand being bored shitless every week for 80 minutes. Yeah I was a dolman early leaver so that's one.less leaving early next season!

On 21/06/2020 at 11:53, Corsham Ed said:

No more chances for me. The board has given him plenty of money to spend. I look at the current squad, and on paper it looks strong, but LJ cannot get get it right on the pitch. He mentions they all do well in training, but it’s not happening when it matters.

Yep............If there was a training league, we would be top of the table.  Just ask LJ?, he can explain it better than I can, it's all about inches apparently?

22 minutes ago, frenchred said:

I've not bothered with a season ticket for the forthcoming season. Nothing to do with money I couldn't stand being bored shitless every week for 80 minutes. Yeah I was a dolman early leaver so that's one.less leaving early next season!

My thoughts entirely ... I’ve not renewed either... I’d much rather go for a 90 minute walk in the country than endure the crap depressing football served up by LJ 

3 hours ago, RobintheRed Red said:

The fans can see it but not the Lansdowns or are they happy to stagnate every year.

That's the thing I can't understand, a man who was obviously a success in business must have had a ruthless streak allows a manager with so many long periods of failure to keep his job, there was that time we lost was it 8 matches in a row I doubt any other manager ever apart from LJ would have kept his job but here we are and so is he.

On 21/06/2020 at 13:39, TonyTonyTony said:

After yesterday, losing 5 or 6 out of the remaining 8 is entirely possible.

After yesterday, losing ALL of the remaining 8 is entirely possible.

We'd have to come up against an incredibly poor (or completely unmotivated) team to even get a point if we continue to perform like that.

Next season - We have no idea if season will be disrupted by Covid Wave 2, we have no idea if fans will be allowed into ground, Robins TV will not compensate for loss of income, we have no idea when capacity restrictions will end, we have a large number of players under contract. Therefore, we just make do with what we already have, if we get offers for players, don’t stand in their way, and if an absolutely essential need, there should be plenty of unemployed players available at affordable salary. 
Just being realistic.

I think Saturday pretty much proved we don’t have guts for a playoff push, but I haven’t give them up hope.

Just gotta take it one game at a time.  Sunday does feel like must win.

If we take 6th down:

Preston 57

Cardiff 57

Blackburn 56

Swansea 56

Bristol C 55

Millwall 54

Derby 54

Preston v Cardiff - a win for either means they are 5 points clear ahead of our fixture.  A draw would be great.

Swansea v Luton - a win for Swansea means we are 4 points off them, they could be 6th if a draw above

Barnsley v Millwall - we’d still be in touch with them whatever their result

Derby v Reading - ditto above

Wigan v Blackburn - ditto Swansea game

We could quite easily be 12th going into our game.

It really is a must win.  It could look very tight again after this weekend, or if we lose, pretty much all over.

On 21/06/2020 at 18:49, Moments of Pleasure said:

One more chance for Lee next season I reckon (Steve might be thinking). Five full seasons is ample time to get a club in the current rude good health that we are in (amongst a number of clubs in various levels of disarray) into the top six at least once.

Each year (at the end of season review) there is always a "yeah, but" as for why we have yet to finish top six:

16/17 yeah, but it was Tomlin that ruined it; and anyway, it was Lee's first full season. He's young, upcoming...

17/18 yeah, but if we hadn't been so tired after the cup run; also, Flint, Reid and Bryan were off and stopped trying/didn't get on with Diony or Kent

18/19 yeah, but if we didn’t have to sell Reid (can't remember the reason we fell away last season)

19/20 yeah, but all the injuries. Afobe. The covid situation; we were just turning it around against Fulham

20/21 yeah, but ... 

Even Steve will tire of hearing this, and see through it, eventually (seeing as he has asked for a top six finish despite the challenge of doing so, and stated PL is the goal. If he is, in fact, content with being thereabouts playing dull football, then scrub all of the above).

I hope you are dreaming if SL keeps LJ next season if its what you are saying 

10 hours ago, pillred said:

That's the thing I can't understand, a man who was obviously a success in business must have had a ruthless streak allows a manager with so many long periods of failure to keep his job, there was that time we lost was it 8 matches in a row I doubt any other manager ever apart from LJ would have kept his job but here we are and so is he.

Gutting mate every other club gets rid if the footballs crap Middlesbirough being the latest hes got something on the Lansdowns.

I'm afraid Lansdown Jr, LJ and MA are in a cosy little comfort zone where they all slap eachother on the back (well pre-covid) and shout about the great progress we've made. 

I'm not sure a poor run and finishing 10th is incentive enough to make them throw this away and bring in an outsider. Too risky for them, they'd sooner muddle on all having a nice time and avoiding tough decisions. 

I wouldn’t underestimate SL. 

You can claim he’s soft, comfortable etc, but I suspect you don’t become an extremely successful businessman without a streak of ruthlessness. He’s invested in Ashton Gate, and the desire for Premier League football is palpable. 

What SL clearly is not, however, is knee-jerk. SL is evidently happy enough to see consistent progress and on paper - if not always in the football we watch - LJ has delivered that every season. 

When we are two points for the playoffs, why would SL undermine his manager? But, if LJ takes us back to mid-table after 5 years of management then don’t be surprised to see things change quickly in my opinion.  

On 21/06/2020 at 11:31, The Bard said:

Call me negative but I've given up on the play offs.  Watching Fulham and Brentford, we are deluding ourselves.

We certainly need to improve on Saturdays showing, but we have won 1, lost 1 & drawn 2, of our 4 games against those teams this season, so I don't think it's "deluded" to think that we can compete. 

Can see this whole pandemic saving LJ’s job, effectively an excuse for disrupting the season and players finding it difficult to resume play. Giving him an extra year to reach SL’s goal of play offs minimum. 

Player wise, I say get rid of Baker, too injury prone and we have a better player in Moore who can step up. Try and sign a solid RB and let Perreira go back. Cyrus Christie could be available if Fulham go up. Try and keep Smith as he will be valuable for Morrell and Walsh to learn from. Strikers seem to be solved if we can get Afobe in and let Diedhou go for a decent price. Only other position we need to strengthen is RM where we need quality. Jacob Murphy could be available from Newcastle having spent the season on loan at Sheff Wed. 

So,

OUT - Diedhou, Baker, O’Dowda. If we can get £10m for them that would be good business.

IN - Murphy, Christie and Williams on a free. If we can get them for £7.5m tops we will be up income and should be up on wages as well.

Will leave us with 

GK - Bentley, O’Leary, Maenpaa (one could go)

RB - Hunt, Christie, Vyner 

CB - Kalas, Moore, Vyner, Williams

LB - Dasilva, Rowe

CM - Morrell, Rowe, Walsh, Smith, Massengo

LM - Paterson, Elliason, Murphy

RM - Weimann, Murphy, Elliason

CAM - Palmer, Paterson

ST - Wells, Afobe, Weimann, Semenyo

Would give us a squad of 22 with strength in depth as well instead of us struggling when we look to our bench. 

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

We certainly need to improve on Saturdays showing, but we have won 1, lost 1 & drawn 2, of our 4 games against those teams this season, so I don't think it's "deluded" to think that we can compete. 

But it is because you are deluded, that you can think it is not deluded, to think that. Is what I think The Bard is telling us.

1 hour ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

Can see this whole pandemic saving LJ’s job, effectively an excuse for disrupting the season and players finding it difficult to resume play. Giving him an extra year to reach SL’s goal of play offs minimum. 

Player wise, I say get rid of Baker, too injury prone and we have a better player in Moore who can step up. Try and sign a solid RB and let Perreira go back. Cyrus Christie could be available if Fulham go up. Try and keep Smith as he will be valuable for Morrell and Walsh to learn from. Strikers seem to be solved if we can get Afobe in and let Diedhou go for a decent price. Only other position we need to strengthen is RM where we need quality. Jacob Murphy could be available from Newcastle having spent the season on loan at Sheff Wed. 

So,

OUT - Diedhou, Baker, O’Dowda. If we can get £10m for them that would be good business.

IN - Murphy, Christie and Williams on a free. If we can get them for £7.5m tops we will be up income and should be up on wages as well.

Will leave us with 

LB - Dasilva, Rowe

CAM - Palmer, Paterson

Would give us a squad of 22 with strength in depth as well instead of us struggling when we look to our bench. 

I think Elliasson could be on his way as he won't sign a new contract. You might need to recruit one more!

The plan has always been for LJ to be here a very long term imo,  and a mid table finish, with 'excuses' at the ready, won't affect that.

I'm not even sure disenchantment of the fans leading to a drop of several thousand STH's would change SL's mind.

That may be tested now though. Not many who haven't renewed yet - including me - will be rushing to renew while visits to AG are so often (completely predictably) a frustrating and depressing experience, with little or nothing to get excited about from LJ's disjointed team.

2 hours ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

So,

Will leave us with 

LB - Dasilva, Rowe

CAM - Palmer, Paterson

Who’s Murphy?  Jamie?

Also you have 29, not 22 ?

On 21/06/2020 at 11:58, BrizzleRed said:

Trust seems to be a very odd thing where LJ is concerned.

On the one hand we have Niki Maenpaa, who has been the most solid and dependable keeper I can remember at City in literally decades and  yet he gets dropped for no apparent reason, and is replaced by a totally out of form Bentley.  We then have players like O’Dowda who have maybe one outstanding game in 10, but seem nailed on to get on the pitch virtually every game.

This club likes to talk about DNA and when you look at both LJ and even moreso GJ before him, there does seem to be a mindset of caution and only wanting to use experienced pros, and a fear of using the younger players.  Not exactly the DNA of daring and patience we need to integrate a few younger players into the side.

We know Joe Bryan and Bobby Reid came through, but I fear they are going to be the exceptions under LJ.

Next season will be telling and seeing the likes of Walsh and Morrell getting game time is the the only thing I’m actually looking forward to next season. I’ve got a horrible feeling that they won’t be ‘trusted’ though.

Would give this post ten likes if I could..

Part of Lee's make-up is to make nonsensical decisions ie; dropping Niki...

Let's not forget the oft' repeated man management disaster of publicly 'hanging out to dry.......

Walsh & Morrell have imo earned their chance next season...somthing I also would be excited to see.....

That chance should be just that,,an opportunity to shine - not one dodgy game & "see you later"..trust is a two way street.

Moore & O'Leary will be able to advise.

Lee seems to thrive on deep thoughts & consideration so you'd be forgiven to believe 'moral courage would be a strong suit for him..

4 hours ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

So,

Will leave us with 

LB - Dasilva, Rowe

CAM - Palmer, Paterson

Would we be selling Nagy too then? :)

Think that looks a reasonably balanced squad though unsure about Rowe at LB, in terms of age or attacking threat.

It seems pretty obvious to me that we need not just one but two quality, experienced 'championship ready' central midfielders - no more punts on overseas players like Hegeler and Nagy.  Ideally a combative leader (Gary Shelton mould) and one which can screen the back four (Kalifa Cisse mould).

To be fair to Johnson, he has tried to do this with O'Neil, Hegeler, and Henriksen but none of worked out for a variety of reasons.

I appreciate that Walsh has had a brilliant year at Coventry, and Morrell is highly rated, but to expect them to run the midfield in a couple of months time is ludicrous.  We have lost Pack and Brownhill, and even if offered a new contract Smith is certainly injury prone.  Massengo is still learning his trade as well.  

We will have to trade, and it seems pretty obvious Diedhiou and Eliasson see their futures elsewhere so their sales for me would have to fund it.  If Nagy has an opportunity to move on then it might be best for all parties.  If we can shift out Palmer (don't think ever wanted to be here) and Szmodics as well to boost transfer pot then all the better. 

Archived