IGNORED

Massengo

13 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Fair points dave fevs made about nagy, getting injured, and him getting chucked in.

That is a fact i overlooked.

I just cant see a proven manager like ch going with a kid.

Can you to be fair?

I think most managers pick the best players, irrespective of age.

Just looked up players Chris Hughton gave debuts to (u24) at Championship:

14540DD4-6CF7-42C2-B2AC-35329AFD7182.thumb.jpeg.8a4cb22192bb2d46e776b3db1ecd617d.jpeg

There will other players who’d already made their debuts who he gave plenty of minutes to.

I just think we need to keep an open mind about who he selects, should he get the job.  We are too quick to decide that he’ll pick x or y because of z.

3 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

I did ask hours ago how many goal assists, hes been involved with.

If somebody could take the time and confirm, if its 1 or not.

Thanks!

I'm not sure he got any direct assists, and certainly he didn't score any goals (though he came close once or twice).

Bear in mind he only made 25 appearances (it seemed like more), and was subbed off 10 times as well.

I think I'm correct in saying we only lost one of his first 17 appearances. Then we collectively had a pretty bad time from December onward.

He had a perfectly fine first season for an 18 year old in his first year in England, impressive if anything.

At 19 next season is he ready to start 46 games for a side who's ambition is top 6 minimum? My opinion, probably not quite. Does he have tremendous potential, and should he stay with us and develop, be part of the squad next season? Again, my opinion, YES, absolutely.

14 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

All the players he gave debuts too dave, id wager he didnt stick with to many of those names a lot.

This is a diffrent situation.

Hes been tried and tested at this level, and isnt ready.

Not aimed at you per se, but people on here throw accusation,  speculation and stereotyping around based on lack of research and / or knowledge.  I don’t know the ins and out of Chris Hughton’s time at Brighton, bar the high level stuff, but if you spend a bit of time looking into it:

14/15 - players who played a decent part

Caskey-Forster (20) 33 apps

March (19) 13 apps

R.Ince (21) 38 apps

Texeira (21) 35 apps

Dunk (22) 44 apps (on loan with us season before)

G.Gardiner (22) 20 apps

LuaLua (23) 38 apps

J.Bennett (24) 42 apps

Thats significant game time to young / youngish player.

Look at our own squad, if anything you could argue this season in particular it’s been worse.

In 15/16 - ditto

J.Wilson (19) 27 apps

March 17 apps

Ince 15 apps

Goldson (22) 26 apps

Dunk 41 apps

Skalak (23) 14 apps (joined in jan)

Knockaert (23) 21 apps (joined in jan)

LuaLua 22 apps

I would suggest Hughton likes a blend of young and experienced.  It doesn’t scream at me, “only plays older players”.

30 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

All the players he gave debuts too dave, id wager he didnt stick with to many of those names a lot.

This is a diffrent situation.

Hes been tried and tested at this level, and isnt ready.

Specifically re Massengo....isn’t he ready?  Or is it more he isn’t producing enough consistently high performances?  How many of the rest of the squad have either?  I’m not defending him, just trying to give a barometer....and also he’s at the base of his development curve in pro football.  Who’s to say next season he’s not a really key part, rather than a squad player this season?

1 hour ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Still despair over our fans and Massengo. Still the same old discourse. It will be a League one loan suggested again next or something. 

In the space of a few years some fans have lost their collective heads. I have said this for donkey's and will reiterate it again, just to be sure. You need to play the young players in our team, our way to know if they are going to make it.  You cant forever palm them out on loan  it's just so backwards thinking

We will have Vyner, Morrell and Walsh back with glowing reviews and Smith and Moore, that's 5 'new' players effectively. Season 2 for Massengo.

It's exciting times, if we actually play them as covers a lot of problem positions

Hardly did Walsh and Morrell’s stock any harm.

7 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

giphy.gif

This is the same Joe Morrell who at 24 nearly has nearly as many international caps for Wales (5) than he does appearances for the club which iirc is 6.

He's been here 8 years nearly. He was ready when we played him in those FA cup games 2 seasons or more ago. Yet some want to keep loaning and loaning and loaning when it's daft to do so. I cannot get that view point and really dont understand why some of our fans want to echo that. 

Liam is going into season 4 with us and has played more games for loan clubs than his parent clubs. 

The list goes on and on. Play them, see what happens. Simples

I'm not arguing that they weren't already ready, I agree with you that in these cases LJ should have put his trust in them and played them. Both Morrell and Walsh were mismanaged, especially when you consider how Brownhill and Pack looked absolutely flogged at times last season. However, it at least gave them a chance to play. 

If the new manager comes in and decides he can use HNM, then do that. But let's not forget that bar a handful of games this season he has not quite looked up to it yet. Obviously a lot of that could be down to LJ and his coaching, we will soon find out really what it is. If the new manager comes in and decides that HNM isn't ready for it and/or brings in a more established midfielder, he is going to find his game time very limited. So would he be better off sticking around and getting a handful of starts and some minutes off the bench or going to a lower Champ/higher L1 club to get 35+ games? I would say probably the latter. 

Loans also balance the books to make other transfers by offloading wages. You say it is a daft thing to do, but now we have two players in Morrell and Walsh who had their wages offloaded for a season and are probably worth a fair bit more than before their loan deals if we were to sell them.

Archived