IGNORED

Classic Motown music

The Batman

Dinner is in the oven, daughter asleep, no house chores to do. Thought I'd start on my Christmas quiz that I do for the family. 

Like doing a music round and the family are big motown fans. I like listening to it too but I imagine there a lot of hidden gems from back in the day that I am yet to hear of. 

YouTube has only been so helpful and I listen to Gold when I'm in the car to try and get some more song ideas but I thought I'd open it up to you all as well. 

23 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

R Dean Taylor. Created history for them as well. Maybe not rare but wirth a question.

first white person to have a hit on the Motown label.

Here I go Again..Archie Bell & the Drells.  Not Motown it was on the Atlantic label, fantastic soul sound all the same.

2 hours ago, stephenkibby. said:

first white person to have a hit on the Motown label.

Here I go Again..Archie Bell & the Drells.  Not Motown it was on the Atlantic label, fantastic soul sound all the same.

And also part of their song writing team as well IIRC.

My favourite Motown song wasn't first released on Motown! Edwin Starr's S O S (stop on sight). It was re-released on Tamla. 

Also, The Temps Ball Of Confusion. Doesn't date in my opinion. Yet another track associated with the Motown label but originally released on the Gordy label.

Splitting hairs? I think not...not in a quiz!  You need only two more tracks that are associated with Motown but not released on that label to have a question ie... What's the connection between Ball Of Confusion,  SOS (Stop On Sight), A N Other and A N Other.

Other Otibers could suggest the other 2!

22 minutes ago, Sir Leigh of Somerset said:

You could ask "what has been the biggest selling Motown hit single in the UK?"

I'm sure it was Stevie Wonder's 'I just called to say I love you' back in 1984 with 1.8 m sales.(but do check!!).

Not even close, but it was Stevie Wonder.

https://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/the-official-top-100-motown-songs-of-the-millennium__27106/

On 21/06/2020 at 14:13, The Batman said:

Dinner is in the oven, daughter asleep, no house chores to do. Thought I'd start on my Christmas quiz that I do for the family. 

Like doing a music round and the family are big motown fans. I like listening to it too but I imagine there a lot of hidden gems from back in the day that I am yet to hear of. 

YouTube has only been so helpful and I listen to Gold when I'm in the car to try and get some more song ideas but I thought I'd open it up to you all as well. 

Contours Baby Hit and Run. One of the greatest northern soul anthems and featuring the truly great Dennis Edwards before his transfer to the Temps replacing David Ruffin. 

Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell greatest hits LP was the first record I ever bought Mrs Downend! 

The Onion Song

You're all I need to get by

You ain't livin' 'till you're lovin"

Ain't no mountain high enough.

Ain't nothin' like the real thing

1 hour ago, BS2 Red said:

My tentative assertion (I did say to check it!) was drawn from this website;

https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread.php?3144-Top-30-selling-Motown-singles-in-UK

which refers to 'records' as at the end of 2008 and puts 'I just called to say I love you' at the top by some degree.

Your 'top 100' source from 2019 refers to 'digital downloads and streams'.

Possibly something lost in translation over the years?

With the exception of The Batman trying to set up a factually accurate quiz, this is one subject where the absolute answer really doesn't matter (too much!) as so many Motown artists and their records were (are) just bloody fantastic.

24 minutes ago, Sir Leigh of Somerset said:

My tentative assertion (I did say to check it!) was drawn from this website;

https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread.php?3144-Top-30-selling-Motown-singles-in-UK

which refers to 'records' as at the end of 2008 and puts 'I just called to say I love you' at the top by some degree.

Your 'top 100' source from 2019 refers to 'digital downloads and streams'.

Possibly something lost in translation over the years?

With the exception of The Batman trying to set up a factually accurate quiz, this is one subject where the absolute answer really doesn't matter (too much!) as so many Motown artists and their records were (are) just bloody fantastic.

Ahh that might be right, counting streams is bound to massively change the order!

41 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Honourable mentions to Jimmy Ruffin and Smokey Robinson too. What a thread!

Mention for David Ruffin,(Jimmys brother) and Eddie Kendrick mainstay of the Temps in the early days.

Check out Gonna  walk away from love,David Ruffin.  When he's singing about the life he totally regrets.

5 hours ago, BS2 Red said:

The fact that stuff like I just called or Happy Birthday, are the Stevie sounds that get played on the radio sums it up.

The man is up there in the top ten song writers of all time. As for Superstition, well walking into a nightclub with that intro blaring out, don't make em like it today.!!!

On 22/06/2020 at 23:33, stephenkibby. said:

Mention for David Ruffin,(Jimmys brother) and Eddie Kendrick mainstay of the Temps in the early days.

Check out Gonna  walk away from love,David Ruffin.  When he's singing about the life he totally regrets.

Always thought Levi Stubbs had the best motown voice. 

Archived