IGNORED

Classic Motown music

The Batman

5 hours ago, downendcity said:

Always thought Levi Stubbs had the best motown voice. 

Stubbs had a fantastic voice could listen to him all night.

Others to consider though not on the Motown label, were Ed Levern O'Jays . Back Stabbers (what an intro)

Or my favourite Teddy Pendergrass. lead singer for Harold Melvin  & the Bluenotes.  Later to go on of coarse to sing on his own.

Was paralysed in a car crash but came back to sing on stage for a while in his wheelchair.

The sight of Teddy singing The Love I Lost at that time is truly heart tugging.

On 24/06/2020 at 23:47, stephenkibby. said:

Stubbs had a fantastic voice could listen to him all night.

Others to consider though not on the Motown label, were Ed Levern O'Jays . Back Stabbers (what an intro)

Or my favourite Teddy Pendergrass. lead singer for Harold Melvin  & the Bluenotes.  Later to go on of coarse to sing on his own.

Was paralysed in a car crash but came back to sing on stage for a while in his wheelchair.

The sight of Teddy singing The Love I Lost at that time is truly heart tugging.

....and "If you don't know me by know".

Hi SK.

Chairmen of The Board were another old favourite of mine. 'Give Me Just A Little More Time' was a really good number (1970).

The brilliant songwriting and production team of Holland-Dozier-Holland were behind Chairmen of The Board but they released an excellent single in 1972 under their own name (H-D-H) called 'Why Can't We Be Lovers'.

Worth a listen if you're not familiar with it;

8 hours ago, stephenkibby. said:

Sir Lee great sound. TSOP was a sound, a big meaning as the Motown label was fading.

The STAX  and Atlantic label were  still going strong. Also in the early 70s along side Motown the Invictus sound was going strong.

Chairman of the board were big back in the day on Invictus.

Hi S.K.

Oops - I should have quoted you (see above)!!

Loved Levi Stubbs voice.saw the 4 Tops twice in Bristol. . my two favourite Temptaions songs though, Take a look around.great lyrics and Papa was a rolling stone. Especially the extended version. Still sounds great today.

1 hour ago, fatchers said:

Loved Levi Stubbs voice.saw the 4 Tops twice in Bristol. . my two favourite Temptaions songs though, Take a look around.great lyrics and Papa was a rolling stone. Especially the extended version. Still sounds great today.

Love Papa was a rolling stone - my Dad did die on 3 September as well :sad26:

although I’m pleased to say he wasn’t a rolling stone

16 hours ago, fatchers said:

The Four Tops were a truly great Motown group and  ‘simple game’ is an absolute favourite of mine. The baritone voice of Levi Stubbs really comes thru in that particular song - covered by the Moody Blues amongst others.

On 21/06/2020 at 14:13, The Batman said:

Dinner is in the oven, daughter asleep, no house chores to do. Thought I'd start on my Christmas quiz that I do for the family. 

Like doing a music round and the family are big motown fans. I like listening to it too but I imagine there a lot of hidden gems from back in the day that I am yet to hear of. 

YouTube has only been so helpful and I listen to Gold when I'm in the car to try and get some more song ideas but I thought I'd open it up to you all as well. 

A good source of forgotten classics are Northern Soul compilations, alot of obscure greats... 

If you have the time to go through them, that is.. 

12 hours ago, Robbored said:

Stumbled across this on SkyDocmtrs - Huntsville The making of Motown.

Only seen some of it so far but it’s fascinating watch.. It’s roughly 2 hours long and will be on catch up.

Thanks but I wish you would check what you post! I spent ages looking to download Huntsville the making of Motown, was on the point of giving up when I stumbled upon HITSVILLE the making of motown!! ???

48 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

Thanks but I wish you would check what you post! I spent ages looking to download Huntsville the making of Motown, was on the point of giving up when I stumbled upon HITSVILLE the making of motown!! ???

No excuses this time FR............:dunno:

14 hours ago, Frenchay Red said:

If your into sweet soul sounds i can recommend the O'jays live at Daryl's house.  [Hall and Oats Daryl}  incredible 40 mins of live music.

Archived