IGNORED

COD

ohhhshauntaylor

Yes everyone was prettt much woeful yesterday. But HOW does this guy start, and play 90 mins? 
what does he offer? 
what is his position? 
what’s his role in the team?

COD is a player who had 3-4 decent games before an injury. Before and after that he’s always been completely inconsistent, weak, and no form of a threat. 

I can’t see a way we can continually keep playing him when he gives us nothing! 

Really disappointing, I thought there was really a future player there in the first season or two where he looked promising but lacked end product.

Seemed to be outstanding at running with pace and having the strength to back it up.  Like a championship level Bale in his directness and style of play. But now that seems to have disappeared. I can’t understand what has happened for that to vanish entirely. 

2 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Really disappointing, I thought there was really a future player there in the first season or two where he looked promising but lacked end product.

Seemed to be outstanding at running with pace and having the strength to back it up.  Like a championship level Bale in his directness and style of play. But now that seems to have disappeared. I cayn’t understand what has happened for that to vanish entirely. 

In a nutshell Lee Johnson!

When he came I thought he was a tricky winger but the results of him him playing is not mutch to write home about. Seldom good passes, shots and dribbles. He looks to have panic when he gets the ball and dont know what to do. For sure he got it in him but in City it dont works for him. LJ had played him often but seldom he is good. In the beginning of the season LJ picked COD before Niclas, a big ? for me. When Palmer played bad he is miles from the starting eleven, COD plays bad most of the times but he is still in the starting eleven. When we best Cardiff away, 1-0, COD played good, only game he been good as I remember. What LJ see in him I dont. As a City fan I really hope he will do well when he plays but I dont think that will happen. Hope Im wrong.

6 hours ago, marcofisher said:

Seemed to be outstanding at running with pace and having the strength to back it up.  Like a championship level Bale in his directness and style of play. But now that seems to have disappeared. I can’t understand what has happened for that to vanish entirely. 

Lee Johnson!

I rate him.  again typical city, when we lose let’s start slagging off the players. Bentley, Massengo, O’Dowda and when someone comes back with an opinion you have a go at them. O’Dowda is a international player and if he wasn’t that good he would not get in the squad. He offers us energy and he’s not afraid to run at players and draw players in to create space for others in behind and his running off ball and engine is first class. I would have him in a midfield three and let him run at players and attack the box. 

9 minutes ago, redpole said:

I rate him.  again typical city, when we lose let’s start slagging off the players. Bentley, Massengo, O’Dowda and when someone comes back with an opinion you have a go at them. O’Dowda is a international player and if he wasn’t that good he would not get in the squad. He offers us energy and he’s not afraid to run at players and draw players in to create space for others in behind and his running off ball and engine is first class. I would have him in a midfield three and let him run at players and attack the box. 

I think CoD was being slagged off well before now to be honest.

He’s been a big disappointment.

If you remember back to both Norwich games he scored an outstanding goal in both & looked a strong, hard running player.

Unfortunately those games have been few & far between & as has been pointed out he painted himself into a corner with his contact business.

Expect he’ll feature again with so many games coming up in short succession after Sunday but he was really poor on Saturday & so cannot expect to start the next one.

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

He’s been a big disappointment.

If you remember back to both Norwich games he scored an outstanding goal in both & looked a strong, hard running player.

Unfortunately those games have been few & far between & as has been pointed out he painted himself into a corner with his contact business.

Expect he’ll feature again with so many games coming up in short succession after Sunday but he was really poor on Saturday & so cannot expect to start the next one.

Everyone was poor, not just him. For me players have been off their games long before lockdown. However it’s always the same people that get ripped into! For example, Kalas was way off his game on Saturday and almost cost us a goal with a dodgy back pass but no one is having a go at him.  Afobe is not quite there yet after his injury but players are calling for him rather than a fit Diedhiou. Fans favorites get left alone.  

I'm not normally glad to see a player leave.  But when it seemed he was going to leave I was happy, as it seemed best for all parties.

Since then I have not seen much from him that makes me think other teams will be forming a long line to sign him.

Listening to the BCFC podcast the other day it mentioned he is regularly top of all team stats .. sprints, distance covered etc.

So I suspect that may well be a big part of the reason he plays.  Also got the impression he is very similar to LJ.

Not a fans firm favourite.  Competitive.  Keen to learn and wouldnt be surprised if COD went into management of some sort after playing days are over.

Just wonder if LJ is maybe less than 100% objective because of this?

33 minutes ago, redpole said:

Everyone was poor, not just him. For me players have been off their games long before lockdown. However it’s always the same people that get ripped into! For example, Kalas was way off his game on Saturday and almost cost us a goal with a dodgy back pass but no one is having a go at him.  Afobe is not quite there yet after his injury but players are calling for him rather than a fit Diedhiou. Fans favorites get left alone.  

Kalas was also truly dreadful, agreed.

O’Dowda is being criticised though because he was also really poor, for me along with Bentley & Kalas even worse than the others & that is a very low bar.

It is super optimistic to think Afobe can start yet, we both know that Famara has more than his share of critics, some of whom won’t ever credit him but he has an important role to play & I’m sure he will make a useful contribution over the last 8 games.

Unfortunately he's one of those players who has been told he's great and believed it long before his performances on the pitch warranted it.  I get the distinct impression he would be a lot better if he let someone other than his old man manage his career.

He runs at pace in obvious lines and doesn't produce much because he goes one opponent too far too often.  He doesn't run onto a ball in behind, doesn't beat players with skill and rarely gets a good cross in.  Easily bullied, he's a defender's dream.

I'd sell him for the first decent bid in the summer.

There’s definitely a player in there as has all the attributes required in that he’s athletic, quick and powerful ...........BUT he lacks one thing that will hold him back and that’s a heart to fight and dig in when required.

So wanted him to succeed but had too many chances now !

2 hours ago, redpole said:

I rate him.  again typical city, when we lose let’s start slagging off the players. Bentley, Massengo, O’Dowda and when someone comes back with an opinion you have a go at them. O’Dowda is a international player and if he wasn’t that good he would not get in the squad. He offers us energy and he’s not afraid to run at players and draw players in to create space for others in behind and his running off ball and engine is first class. I would have him in a midfield three and let him run at players and attack them

Everytime he gets the ball he either passes sideways or he runs with his head down facing his feet he never looks up and runs in to dead end 9/10 loses the ball, and just because he sits on bench is a 23 man squad and plays about 9 mins every international break its the irish squad ffs if declan rice would picked ireland odowda wouldnt got a look in 

3 hours ago, redpole said:

You are talking about Callum O 'Dowda?? 

He doesn't run at players. He stops, checks and lays it off.  

1 hour ago, Highguy said:

Everytime he gets the ball he either passes sideways or he runs with his head down facing his feet he never looks up and runs in to dead end 9/10 loses the ball, and just because he sits on bench is a 23 man squad and plays about 9 mins every international break its the irish squad ffs if declan rice would picked ireland odowda wouldnt got a look in 

HA HA another person who plays football manager and knows everything. 

9 hours ago, Garland-sweden said:

When he came I thought he was a tricky winger but the results of him him playing is not mutch to write home about. Seldom good passes, shots and dribbles. He looks to have panic when he gets the ball and dont know what to do. For sure he got it in him but in City it dont works for him. LJ had played him often but seldom he is good. In the beginning of the season LJ picked COD before Niclas, a big ? for me. When Palmer played bad he is miles from the starting eleven, COD plays bad most of the times but he is still in the starting eleven. When we best Cardiff away, 1-0, COD played good, only game he been good as I remember. What LJ see in him I dont. As a City fan I really hope he will do well when he plays but I dont think that will happen. Hope Im wrong.

There was a moment in the second half on Saturday, when he picked the ball up in space, left of centre, 10 yards into our half.  He had the option to drive into the space, or pass it to Paterson 15 yards ahead of him free, or knock a pass to Dasilva which would’ve taken out the man who was the only one who might have pressed him.  What did he do?  Pirouettes on the ball, going nowhere, but it looks pretty.  Man now on top of him, passing lanes to Pato and Dasilva now closed.  He lost the ball.

That was typical of the way he plays.  

3 hours ago, Riaz said:

This O'Dowda in the middle of the park nonsense, cost us another game saturday.

I've no idea why LJ thinks its a good idea.

I hadn’t really thought too much about it until you mentioned it, but O’Dowda in a 2 is not something I would’ve done.  If he was worried about not making a third half-time sub, why not put Rowe in there and moved Callum to LB?

it highlighted a really unbalanced bench / squad.

1 hour ago, Highguy said:

??

⬇️

7 minutes ago, redpole said:

HA HA another person who plays football manager and knows everything. 

I agree with everything @Highguy says.  The head down part is something I’ve noticed from watching (and made comment on here many times).  You can’t see that on Football Manager, so stupid comment really.  You notice things like that by observing them.

Its why he often loses possession on a run, because he has to look down at his feet and ball to check it is under control before making his next move.  It is that split second that means when he looks back up, he suddenly finds the pass he was intending to make, or the dribble he was going to do is no longer on.  Brownhill was a bit like this but improved significantly over 18 months.

Even the goal against Norwich had elements of head down, ball slightly out of control but he got through the tackles.  The skill at the end was good, but all too infrequent.

When I watch players, pretty much the first thing I look at is do they play with their head up.  Dasilva plays with his head up, he trusts his first touch, he has a picture of the game.  Callum doesn’t.

I imagine in training where the intensity is lower he can look good, for no fear of being whacked.  His better performances are against the teams that don’t press, that give him a bit of time.

4 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Kalas was also truly dreadful, agreed.

O’Dowda is being criticised though because he was also really poor, for me along with Bentley & Kalas even worse than the others & that is a very low bar.

It is super optimistic to think Afobe can start yet, we both know that Famara has more than his share of critics, some of whom won’t ever credit him but he has an important role to play & I’m sure he will make a useful contribution over the last 8 games.

Afobe was , so say , looking very sharp in training and the two practice games we played . Heck he scored twice in the last match he played before the resumption.

Play him from the start , what’s the worst that could happen ? He scores, wears himself out , gets injured ? 

We had five , yes five , possible substitutions , including Nahki Wells who could have been a straight swap.

If he gets injured again, well , regrettably, he goes back to Stoke at the end of the season and we dodge an expensive bullet.

Sorry but too much negative football from LJ .

Archived