IGNORED

Woodgate out - Warnock in at Boro!

CyderInACan

18 minutes ago, City oz said:

He has nothing to lose and has respect in all football circles. Some how he makes things click and lets the players play that is in bread within and the he gels them into a team of quality. Football might be sh&$te but the results are good. He gets under the noses of other managers  that gives his team a one goal advantage either home or away.

Sure but has he ever had to turn a team around with this many games in such a short space of time? This isn't a criticism of Warnock's ability - my point is simply that, when clubs bring managers in to save a season with eight weeks to go, there is usually a week's turn around between games, with a few midweek fixtures admittedly. This gives the manager time to impart ideas, drill formations and make changes. Bringing a manager in for eight games over four weeks may make it far harder for that manager to have the impact they would usually have.

1 hour ago, Galley is our king said:

Close to the words of Kevin Keegan.....

I would love it, just love it if boro got relegated.

Hate Colin with a passion.

NEVER EVER at City!

Don’t worry Lee, you have a job for life under Uncle Steve ( no matter how shit the football is, how many Clubs of an equal or lesser size sail past us etc).

3 hours ago, Steve Watts said:

Nope.

Is this his last job in management?  You know....until his next last job in management?

Neil Warnock has made more comebacks than Frank Sinatra did. 

3 hours ago, RobArnold10 said:

Anybody else think this may get SL thinking? Him and Gibson very similar styles in club running especially when it comes to managers. Couple more poor results and play off contention dwindling you have to wonder if he would do something similar?

I really don't think there is much chance of him doing that to his blue eyed boy.

27 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Neil Warnock has made more comebacks than Frank Sinatra did. 

But how many promotions did Frank Sinatra achieve with unfashionable  clubs ? 

None , that’s how many . 

One big problem is that we are football snobs at City . Bristol City , purveyors of the beautiful game, would never resort to anything as vulgar as winning matches with sheer guts and determination, oh no .

Whilst we’ve pussyfooted and fancy Danned around the lower leagues for most of our existence, other more pragmatic clubs have sailed by us and made history for themselves.

2 hours ago, Shaun Taylor said:

What's makes a man in early 70's, who's had a decent managerial career and no doubt financially sound leave a stunning home in Cornwall and move to dreary Teeside!

Umm ... cash?

Hes always ready for a short term firefighting job and rarely stays at a club long. If you think about it, getting sacked halfway through your contract on a regular basis can be a good money-making process for a shrewd manager.

2 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Exactly and at least there is some kind of method behind his tactics unlike our brand of tripe. 

I cannot give this enough likes.  My only criticism would be that its not called Lee's brand of tripe.  Because it is his.  He made it. 

3 hours ago, Leveller said:

Typically, promotion followed by coming straight back down. Rarely lasts long anywhere. Short term fix merchant.

So what? Get him in to get promotion, then move on, everyone’s a winner, most clubs and managers who get promoted to Prem come back down again the next season don’t they, are they all crap?

Savvy move by Boro. Love him or hate him, nobody can deny that the man gets results. His best attributes IMO are man motivation and tactical nous. Oh how we could use some of that right now. If only things weren't so cushy for LJ at BCFC

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Weird this, I mean he’s so brilliant according to many on here that I expected sides very near the top to be queuing up to employ him.

Instead this sad old ****** takes over a team in 21st place, level on points with a side in the relegation zone.

The sides very near the top already have managers. The way he rescued Rotherham and then Cardiff a few seasons back shows the depth of his talent - he can save teams from going down and he can take them up ... a great manager ...

5 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Weird this, I mean he’s so brilliant according to many on here that I expected sides very near the top to be queuing up to employ him.

Instead this sad old ****** takes over a team in 21st place, level on points with a side in the relegation zone.

You are quite clearly allowing your personal distaste for the man make you blind to facts. Warnock has a phenomenal record at this level.

Fully expect Boro to surpass us next season, get promoted and enjoy Premier League football while we continue to hover around 8th place making worthy comments about entertaining football as if we’re Brazil 1970.

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

But how many promotions did Frank Sinatra achieve with unfashionable  clubs ? 

None , that’s how many . 

One big problem is that we are football snobs at City . Bristol City , purveyors of the beautiful game, would never resort to anything as vulgar as winning matches with sheer guts and determination, oh no .

Whilst we’ve pussyfooted and fancy Danned around the lower leagues for most of our existence, other more pragmatic clubs have sailed by us and made history for themselves.

I saw  him on TV where he talked of an interview he had with a club ( I can't remember which one).  One of the questions from a stuffy board member was "Mr Warnock, would our fans like your style of football?" "They'd like to see the team winning for a change" he replied.  

He didn't get the job

10 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

You are quite clearly allowing your personal distaste for the man make you blind to facts. Warnock has a phenomenal record at this level.

Fully expect Boro to surpass us next season, get promoted and enjoy Premier League football while we continue to hover around 8th place making worthy comments about entertaining football as if we’re Brazil 1970.

If we carry on with our coaches in employment next season then 8th would be highly optimistic, more like 18th imo!

He's the Championships Sam Allardyce, and now paints his new job in an altruistic way: "Steve phoned me and asked if I'd come up and help". 

It will be interesting, if having kept Boro up he hits a bit of a dip which fans question his football, S'pose it's down to the size of his contract.. 

I'm interested to know about this ageing, past it manager who in November we beat on his own patch and were above them in the league, despite them having a premier league squad with parachute payments, what is it about him you like?

And I'm on about the current 71 year old, you don't get a Warnock of 5-10 years ago

Archived