IGNORED

Woodgate out - Warnock in at Boro!

CyderInACan

53 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Every time he brings a team to Ashton Gate, the game is nearly always ruined by his players rolling around everywhere

**** watching that every week!

Well that’s not true - but we can agree to disagree. Although I still think if Bristol City FC was top of the championship because a snarling, pumped up Neil Warnock had our chaps chomping at the bit to do whatever it took, within the laws of the game, to win the three points ... you’d be in the stadium somewhere ... in disguise obviously because you wouldn’t want to admit you were wrong ... ???

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Fair enough, you wouldn’t watch a Bristol City team at the top of the championship - that’s your choice ... you say Warnock ‘cheats’ - would he have lasted well over three decades in football management if he’d been constantly found guilty of ‘cheating’? I think his teams are streetwise, they ain’t cheats ... our club has had a soft underbelly for too long, we get bullied in games by well-drilled, physical teams with proven managers and our fans are quick to cry ‘cheat’ ?? 

The Rotherham game at AG still stands out, it wasn't streetwise it was just straight up cheating not being punished, Flint was being dragged to the floor and shirt pulled constantly from set pieces, Halford play acting constantly etc, it was straight up dirty.

48 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Well that’s not true - but we can agree to disagree. Although I still think if Bristol City FC was top of the championship because a snarling, pumped up Neil Warnock had our chaps chomping at the bit to do whatever it took, within the laws of the game, to win the three points ... you’d be in the stadium somewhere ... in disguise obviously because you wouldn’t want to admit you were wrong ... ???

I’d much rather we were stuck in the championship than watching a side with the play acting of that Rotherham side a few years back, no matter where we were in the table 

10 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Why would i be wrong???

I havent told you Warnock could'nt get us promoted?? I said i dont want to watch a team who cheats

I would gain no satisfaction from us winning the way he does.

What i find enjoyable is up to me - so again, how would i be wrong?

3 hours ago, Riaz said:

Why would i be wrong???

I havent told you Warnock could'nt get us promoted?? I said i dont want to watch a team who cheats

I would gain no satisfaction from us winning the way he does.

What i find enjoyable is up to me - so again, how would i be wrong?

Apologies, I shouldn’t have used the word ‘wrong’  - it was the, umm, wrong word to use! I just meant I thought that any fan would want to watch us if we were top of the table .... apologies again 

15 hours ago, hodge said:

The Rotherham game at AG still stands out, it wasn't streetwise it was just straight up cheating not being punished, Flint was being dragged to the floor and shirt pulled constantly from set pieces, Halford play acting constantly etc, it was straight up dirty.

Halford was down for ages, right in front of me in the South Stand (Lansdown was bein built). When they brought oxygen on I thought it was bad. Then the guy goes off, I was wondering if I should sportingly clap. Blow me, what seemed like ten secs later he was back on the pitch running around and diving into tackles !

Also have fond memories of the "ghost goal". Warnock was just in front of me in The Enclosure. We all knew it was a legitimate goal and kept telling him ?

23 hours ago, Riaz said:

Every time he brings a team to Ashton Gate, the game is nearly always ruined by his players rolling around everywhere

**** watching that every week!

Here’s Warnock’s press interview after that 1-1 draw with Rotherham - he really does like our club - lots of praise for us, watch until the end, I know you despise him but we really have missed out on his experience, skills, knowledge and success ...

12 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Here’s Warnock’s press interview after that 1-1 draw with Rotherham - he really does like our club - lots of praise for us, watch until the end, I know you despise him but we really have missed out on his experience, skills, knowledge and success ...

Warnock is a one-off and a larger.than life character and football will undoubtedly be a duller place when he decides which final club will actually be his last.

He totally divides football, between those like yourself who obviously feel that the result is everything, regardless of how you get it, compared with the rest, who want to be successful, but not to the point of bending every rule possible and blatant cheating.

I personally detest Warnock ‘football’ and I think the only way he’s survived is he is a master of playing the media. Whichever club he’s at, he manages to instil a them and us attitude in players and supporters alike. They feel like they’re taking on the world and everyone is against them, so are prepared to accept the shocking football and tactics to achieve the final result.

He’s actually a fascinating and clever character and amazingly, actually sounds a very pleasant bloke in interviews and seems the archaetypal Jekyll and Hyde character.  There’s certainly no disputing he also brings real passion and winning mentality to a club, but for me, the cost is far too high.

I can say hand on heart, I could never bring myself to watch City if he was managing us, as to me, it would be like selling your football soul to the devil.

25 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

Warnock is a one-off and a larger.than life character and football will undoubtedly be a duller place when he decides which final club will actually be his last.

He totally divides football, between those like yourself who obviously feel that the result is everything, regardless of how you get it, compared with the rest, who want to be successful, but not to the point of bending every rule possible and blatant cheating.

I personally detest Warnock ‘football’ and I think the only way he’s survived is he is a master of playing the media. Whichever club he’s at, he manages to instil a them and us attitude in players and supporters alike. They feel like they’re taking on the world and everyone is against them, so are prepared to accept the shocking football and tactics to achieve the final result.

He’s actually a fascinating and clever character and amazingly, actually sounds a very pleasant bloke in interviews and seems the archaetypal Jekyll and Hyde character.  There’s certainly no disputing he also brings real passion and winning mentality to a club, but for me, the cost is far too high.

I can say hand on heart, I could never bring myself to watch City if he was managing us, as to me, it would be like selling your football soul to the devil.

“Blatant cheating”?? Warnock would never have survived well over three decades in football management if he was a blatant cheat. He has never been charged with ‘cheating’ by the authorities and has never been found guilty of ‘cheating’ - he would have been hounded out of the game if he had. Even in the infamous Battle of Bramall Lane he was only fined £300 for his comments to the fourth official during the game and two of his players who were sent off for violent conduct during that game never played for Sheffield United again - surely he’d have selected them over and over again if they’d merely been carrying out his ‘blatant cheating’ instructions? .... he’s a streetwise, cunning manager with plenty of guile, but not a ‘blatant cheat’ in my opinion.

35 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

“Blatant cheating”?? Warnock would never have survived well over three decades in football management if he was a blatant cheat. He has never been charged with ‘cheating’ by the authorities and has never been found guilty of ‘cheating’ - he would have been hounded out of the game if he had. Even in the infamous Battle of Bramall Lane he was only fined £300 for his comments to the fourth official during the game and two of his players who were sent off for violent conduct during that game never played for Sheffield United again - surely he’d have selected them over and over again if they’d merely been carrying out his ‘blatant cheating’ instructions? .... he’s a streetwise, cunning manager with plenty of guile, but not a ‘blatant cheat’ in my opinion.

Maybe we can agree to changing the term cheating, to bending the rules like a cork screw then BS4 ?

I agree he’s clever and cunning and a master of getting away with a lot of stuff that the majority of football supporters find distasteful and against the spirit of the game.

I don’t dispute he’s a winner, but for me, winning by his methods is going way too far

6 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

I wonder whether he’s applied for our job... I don’t think he’s said that he will be staying at ‘Boro.  

Would not be surprised if he has, you never know, he could be the one SL is waiting for the end of season for. 

You can never rule it out, he certainly knows how to get teams promoted. 

3 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Would not be surprised if he has, you never know, he could be the one SL is waiting for the end of season for. 

You can never rule it out, he certainly knows how to get teams promoted. 

I know it’s not a popular view in here but I really think he’s someone who could spark us into the right direction.  His record is outstanding.  

when I think of recent successful managers here, Cotts, GJ... well he’s not a million miles from them.  The nicer, more technical managers don’t seem to have had the same impact here.  

That said, I’d be amazed if he was appointed. 

11 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

I know it’s not a popular view in here but I really think he’s someone who could spark us into the right direction.  His record is outstanding.  

when I think of recent successful managers here, Cotts, GJ... well he’s not a million miles from them.  The nicer, more technical managers don’t seem to have had the same impact here.  

That said, I’d be amazed if he was appointed. 

Neil Warnock - he can keep you up or he can take you up - with Cardiff he did both in double quick time - often derided on here, but then he constantly delivers - over and over again, just to annoy the ‘comedians’ who call him ‘Colin’ ... ?

8 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Neil Warnock - he can keep you up or he can take you up - with Cardiff he did both in double quick time - often derided on here, but then he constantly delivers - over and over again, just to annoy the ‘comedians’ who call him ‘Colin’ ... ?

Fortunately the Lansdowns haven’t joined your Colin Fan Club. ?

Warnock is a LEADER and a WINNER. 

Bristol City don’t do these sort of people. 

Cotts was just a blip that was quickly corrected. 

We've got got to change our Club’s DNA.

Over to you Mr Ashton. One must say a little late for you to identify the need. Better late than never though. 

• Admin

I honestly think we missed the opportunity this season. 

We were stuttering badly and LJ should have gone a game or two earlier at least. 

Warnock had publicly stated he wanted a short term job.

We had nothing to lose in appointing him until the end of the season. 

He has a knack of turning sides around quickly so if he paid off and we made the play offs, great

Or it could have nose dived and we finished 12th 

Whilst giving us time to source a replacement 

43 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yeh, perish the thought that we might just achieve promotion - the Lansdowns seem to shy away from proven, successful guys at this level - as you do you, given your post above ...

Not at all. I was an admirer of Don Revie whose Leeds team were ruthless - dirty if you like - but often played scintillating football. Revie was dour in public, but loved by his players. That, I could live with.

Warnock, on the other hand, never plays scintillating football, and sets out to win by any means possible. On top of that, he is a foul tempered, whinging bad loser who is charming only when things are going his way, but turns on everyone when they’re not.

Not at my club thanks. Winning with him at the helm would lose its enjoyment.

On business once in Cornwall a year or so ago, I met someone who was not remotely interested in football but occasionally met Warnock, living in the same area.  He described him as a really likeable chap, good for a natter, probably appreciated some light banter that didn’t involve football talk.

It will never happen now of course and I’m not suggesting it should have but from some of the comments he has made over the years about us, I do feel that he would have really valued the manager position here more than we think, and perhaps far more than some of the names being mentioned now on this forum.  Whatever you think of him, he can lift supporters and make average players deliver results, those attributes and the financial backing along with some of the above average players to wear a city shirt might just have clicked.

26 minutes ago, Leveller said:

On top of that, he is a foul tempered, whinging bad loser who is charming only when things are going his way, but turns on everyone when they’re not.

Not at my club thanks. Winning with him at the helm would lose its enjoyment.

You must have really hated the Steve Cotterill era then.

Archived