IGNORED

Woodgate out - Warnock in at Boro!

CyderInACan

5 minutes ago, Floatn Over said:

On business once in Cornwall a year or so ago, I met someone who was not remotely interested in football but occasionally met Warnock, living in the same area.  He described him as a really likeable chap, good for a natter, probably appreciated some light banter that didn’t involve football talk.

It will never happen now of course and I’m not suggesting it should have but from some of the comments he has made over the years about us, I do feel that he would have really valued the manager position here more than we think, and perhaps far more than some of the names being mentioned now on this forum.  Whatever you think of him, he can lift supporters and make average players deliver results, those attributes and the financial backing along with some of the above average players to wear a city shirt might just have clicked.

He’s very different to Lee and I think that’s needed but I feel we’ll go for more of the same. 

1 hour ago, RedRock said:

Warnock is a LEADER and a WINNER. 

Bristol City don’t do these sort of people. 

Cotts was just a blip that was quickly corrected. 

We've got got to change our Club’s DNA.

Over to you Mr Ashton. One must say a little late for you to identify the need. Better late than never though. 

This is it. Success around here hasn’t been achieved by nice, polite, technical managers but by those who’ve grabbed the place by the scruff of the neck and shown a bit of passion..... we’ll that’s been the “trend” in my 40 years of watching us.... Cotts, GJ (initially) and Terry Cooper.  

1 minute ago, Mendip City said:

This is it. Success around here hasn’t been achieved by nice, polite, technical managers but by those who’ve grabbed the place by the scruff of the neck and shown a bit of passion..... we’ll that’s been the “trend” in my 40 years of watching us.... Cotts, GJ (initially) and Terry Cooper.  

You forgot Joe.

7 minutes ago, Superjack said:

You forgot Joe.

Fair point! 
It is a pattern.... in fact that (I think) only leaves one other promotion winning manager in the last 40 years.... John Ward and he was, again, more inclined to wear his heart on his sleeve.  
I think at this club, with its tendency towards a soft underbelly and feeling like a holiday camp at times, needs a bit of a hard man at the helm.... we’re not likely to go that way. 

2 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

Fair point! 
It is a pattern.... in fact that (I think) only leaves one other promotion winning manager in the last 40 years.... John Ward and he was, again, more inclined to wear his heart on his sleeve.  
I think at this club, with its tendency towards a soft underbelly and feeling like a holiday camp at times, needs a bit of a hard man at the helm.... we’re not likely to go that way. 

Sadly correct.

9 minutes ago, hollydog said:

We are the closest team to where he lives that he might conceivably manage so wouldn’t entirely rule it out. Met him once and he was a very nice bloke but can’t stand his football!!

I’d settle for some very pragmatic football if it got us out of this division. 
the bottom line is that in 40 years we’ve not progressed beyond level 2 and 3. It’s dull and we need to break that cycle. If only for a year and become a yo yo club. I really think the alternate is a downward drift... it’s what’s happened before. 

1 hour ago, Leveller said:

Not at all. I was an admirer of Don Revie whose Leeds team were ruthless - dirty if you like - but often played scintillating football. Revie was dour in public, but loved by his players. That, I could live with.

Warnock, on the other hand, never plays scintillating football, and sets out to win by any means possible. On top of that, he is a foul tempered, whinging bad loser who is charming only when things are going his way, but turns on everyone when they’re not.

Not at my club thanks. Winning with him at the helm would lose its enjoyment.

It’s all an act!

He is addicted to winning. It’s infectious. 

He’s often given a ‘bad hand’ as compared to others - in terms of assets (players and cash) - and as a consequence uses every trick in the book to win. 

I wanna win. I want winners at my Club!

10 hours ago, RedRock said:

Cotts was just a blip that was quickly corrected. 

We've got got to change our Club’s DNA.

Over to you Mr Ashton. One must say a little late for you to identify the need. Better late than never though. 

What bollocks ???

8 hours ago, RedRock said:

It’s all an act!

He’s often given a ‘bad hand’ as compared to others - in terms of assets (players and cash) - and as a consequence uses every trick in the book to win. 

The diving, fouling and cheating his teams all do isn't an act.  The lying and lack of integrity isn't an act.  The misconduct in the battle of bramall lane that should have seen him banned from football wasn't an act.

He's not a winner, he's a cheat.

9 hours ago, RedRock said:

It’s all an act!

It’s not an act, he’s just bipolar or something. Sunny when he’s happy, vile when he’s not. Thank god we seem to be lining up the much more balanced Chris Hughton.

37 minutes ago, Leveller said:

It’s not an act, he’s just bipolar or something. Sunny when he’s happy, vile when he’s not. Thank god we seem to be lining up the much more balanced Chris Hughton.

If Chris Houghton is as successful as  ‘bipolar’ Warnock, I won’t be complaining ?

12 hours ago, RedRock said:

1992 Lumsden was dismissed. Ossie Ardiles said he was interested in the job and Chairman Leslie Kew said he believed Ardiles was the ideal man for the job. Chris Nichol, a former Southampton manager then applied. Two of the directors decided not to vote for Ardiles stating that a big name did not guarantee success. Martin O’Neil and Russell Osman then applied. Due to his playing experience Osman was appointed caretaker manager and that week City picked up their first point for seven weeks with a draw against Grimsby. 

I have frequently wondered how would City have fared under Martin O'Neil, especially when looking at his achievements in the years since.

12 hours ago, Leveller said:

Not at all. I was an admirer of Don Revie whose Leeds team were ruthless - dirty if you like - but often played scintillating football. Revie was dour in public, but loved by his players. That, I could live with.

Warnock, on the other hand, never plays scintillating football, and sets out to win by any means possible. On top of that, he is a foul tempered, whinging bad loser who is charming only when things are going his way, but turns on everyone when they’re not.

Not at my club thanks. Winning with him at the helm would lose its enjoyment.

Cheers for the reasoned and balanced response 

Archived