IGNORED

Players I can trust XI

ollywhyte

So who are the shoe in players LJ can trust for the weekend? Personally going entirely on that basis, I would go with something like:-

Maenpaa

Vyner
Williams
Kalas
DaSilva

Smith
Rowe

Elliason
Palmer
Weimann

Afobe

Wonder if we will see Watkins back in contention...

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Perhaps the team needs to be “the players I trust....this week”.

It really is a joke comment from LJ.  It does his no favours, actually makes him look like a poor decision maker / judge.

But what message does it give to the players throwing statements like these out three or four times a season. 

It used to be said it’s cheaper to change the manager than the players - we seem determined to show it’s true 

In all honesty I can only think of 4 players who are (or should be) nailed on to start on Sunday;

Maenpaa, no explanation is needed.

Dasilva, the only natural LB we have.

Korey, the only senior central midfielder.

Wells, presumably who is fitter than the player who came on as sub after missing so much training.

Elsewhere it is just guesswork, Pereira or Hunt, Nagy or Massengo, Williams or Benkovic. Paterson or Palmer.

Not so much an embarrassment of riches as far too many of the same standard.

I can't imagine that dropping players, which now infers you don't trust them, is going help!

Lee has effectively put this squad together having spent millions - so he has to take ultimate responsibility here.

I like him and think he can steer us back in the right direction, but comments like this are going to annoy people, including the players.

In December Lee said of Weimann: "He's such a good lad, I trust him with my life." And went on to explain this was because, to put it plainly, he will run about a lot and hassle the opposition. Consistently. 

Lee said: "I've got to put a team out that I trust is adhering to the Bristol City ethos and is going to put on an extremely consistent performance in terms of energy and work rate."

This might explain why CO'D is in the team currently, and the likes of Palmer not.

If Palmer is paying attention then it is not difficult to work out what he must do to be "trusted" and get back in the team: run around loads, every time, all the time, hassle opponents, be energetic, and work bloody hard.

And do it now, in June/July, during a heatwave.

Worryingly, after a three month break in the first game back, with a play-off place to go for, Lee could not inspire/cajole/enforce/motivate his team to do the bottom line basics of running around with energy and working hard. 

13 minutes ago, daored said:

But what message does it give to the players throwing statements like these out three or four times a season. 

It used to be said it’s cheaper to change the manager than the players - we seem determined to show it’s true 

When I said “joke comment”, I didn’t mean it as “funny haha (Goodfellas)” or he was joking....I meant it is a joke of a comment as in pathetic, needless, undermining, etc.

Poor man-management.

14 minutes ago, David Brent said:

He will have to sign a new starting XI if he wants players he can trust. 

Correct mate. That was a completely destructive comment he made after what could be seen as the first game of a mini season. The players should have been bursting with energy, motivation and certainty about what they were doing after spending 3 weeks preparing with our genius head coach. Instead they were listless and uncertain. Does this mean that the players are conning him on the training ground? I don't think so. The truth is they don't trust him.

Come on Sir Steve. Have the guts to get shot of the bull-***tter and appoint a proper top-flight manager.

It is probably the most insulting comment that a manager can come out with, directly towards the players (especially those who don't get picked for the next line up), and indirectly insulting the intelligence of us fans, as we should be able to assume that he has trust in his squad, after 3 and a half years of "the right DNA" recruitment, as a given.

I ask this as someone who really wants our head coach/manager to bring success to the club, and with the knowledge of LJ's history of going from a really bad streak to a winning streak for no apparent reason, but how would LJ feel if Jon or Steve suddenly pronounced in the media that he wanted a "manager that he could trust"!?

Edited as a PS to this, it is also noteworthy that the winning streaks never seem to materialise at the end of a season when chasing a play off place!

23 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

When I said “joke comment”, I didn’t mean it as “funny haha (Goodfellas)” or he was joking....I meant it is a joke of a comment as in pathetic, needless, undermining, etc.

Poor man-management.

I think the problem is nobody in the club is calling him out for these comments - whilst many will say how do you know ? I can’t believe if his knuckles were rapped previously he would continue to make such statements  

41 minutes ago, New Dazzler said:

It is probably the most insulting comment that a manager can come out with, directly towards the players (especially those who don't get picked for the next line up), and indirectly insulting the intelligence of us fans, as we should be able to assume that he has trust in his squad, after 3 and a half years of "the right DNA" recruitment, as a given.

I ask this as someone who really wants our head coach/manager to bring success to the club, and with the knowledge of LJ's history of going from a really bad streak to a winning streak for no apparent reason, but how would LJ feel if Jon or Steve suddenly pronounced in the media that he wanted a "manager that he could trust"!?

Edited as a PS to this, it is also noteworthy that the winning streaks never seem to materialise at the end of a season when chasing a play off place!

Sorry to be pedantic in correcting my own post, but that should read 4 and a half years, which makes it worse!

1 hour ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

In December Lee said of Weimann: "He's such a good lad, I trust him with my life." And went on to explain this was because, to put it plainly, he will run about a lot and hassle the opposition. Consistently. 

Lee said: "I've got to put a team out that I trust is adhering to the Bristol City ethos and is going to put on an extremely consistent performance in terms of energy and work rate."

This might explain why CO'D is in the team currently, and the likes of Palmer not.

If Palmer is paying attention then it is not difficult to work out what he must do to be "trusted" and get back in the team: run around loads, every time, all the time, hassle opponents, be energetic, and work bloody hard.

And do it now, in June/July, during a heatwave.

Worryingly, after a three month break in the first game back, with a play-off place to go for, Lee could not inspire/cajole/enforce/motivate his team to do the bottom line basics of running around with energy and working hard. 

Well the ethos currently seems to be poor dire football and seeing how few shots you can have in a game.

get your best players in and let them play it’s that simple. I don’t mind losing 3-1 if we had a positive team out but what we seen Saturday was shocking.

1 hour ago, Red Grovesy said:

Expect to see 11 'busy bees' on Sunday.

You don't want yer keeper getting or acting too "busy," or hyperactive, think Maenpaa is more steady, and "rock" like, than "Bents," so I reckon ten busy bees, one rock.

And then, yer centre halves, you don't want "busy bee" centre halves either, following the bloody ball hither and tither. You want them pretty steady, too.

So, to sum up: 8 busy bees, two steady Eddies, and one unflappable rock. 

2 hours ago, ollywhyte said:

So who are the shoe in players LJ can trust for the weekend? Personally going entirely on that basis, I would go with something like:-

Maenpaa

Vyner
Williams
Kalas
DaSilva

Smith
Rowe

Elliason
Palmer
Weimann

Afobe

Wonder if we will see Watkins back in contention...

The players played like they did, because unhappy with what being asked to do, have no faith or belief in the manager, it happens in any work place, if you are being told what to do by a complete k*ob, who hasn’t a clue what he’s on about, and you know what you’re being asking to do, will not work, and is a complete waste of time, you won’t then give 100% for the cause.

55 minutes ago, SODS_LAW said:

Well the ethos currently seems to be poor dire football and seeing how few shots you can have in a game.

get your best players in and let them play it’s that simple. I don’t mind losing 3-1 if we had a positive team out but what we seen Saturday was shocking.

This in spades.

30 shots on target in the last 10 games. 8v Fulham, 5v Derby and 5v QPR. Only 12 shots on target in the other 7 games , that's SOD levels of tedium.

Or is Russell Osman back on the staff...?

Archived