IGNORED

Television bubble bursting?

Bristol Rob

The Bundesliga domestic television rights have fallen by €200 million.

They were the first European league to agree a new deal since the pandemic.

The Premier League is scheduled to start their tender process later this year as they start the process of negotiating a new 3 year deal.

I would imagine that if the top flight have to compromise on what the product is worth that will be reflected the further down the pyramid you go.

2 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

The Bundesliga domestic television rights have fallen by €200 million.

They were the first European league to agree a new deal since the pandemic.

The Premier League is scheduled to start their tender process later this year as they start the process of negotiating a new 3 year deal.

I would imagine that if the top flight have to compromise on what the product is worth that will be reflected the further down the pyramid you go.

Would be just our luck to make the Prem just as the gravy train gets derailed.

:disapointed2se:

1 minute ago, Major Isewater said:

The positive to that however, is that you would look to recruit and pay people accordingly.

Those promoted the year before and have spent bundles on fees and wage only to see revenue drop would likely feel the pinch more.

22 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

The positive to that however, is that you would look to recruit and pay people accordingly.

Those promoted the year before and have spent bundles on fees and wage only to see revenue drop would likely feel the pinch more.

Don’t get me wrong , I’m all for bubble bursting .

Obscene amounts of money circulating between a fistful of clubs and the rest  be damned. 

59 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

By the time we bloody get there it'll be a gravy skateboard 

30 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I, initially thought the thread title might be a more attractive activity to watch than City .

Definitely sounds like an Alan Partridge pitch as he desperately tries to get a 2nd series 

Like many people who have been seriously affected by the virus restrictions, football is one industry that will have to take a good long look at itself. There will have to be permanent changes and hopefully it will bring some sense of reality to those who didn't know they missed it. The goalposts are on the move!

2 hours ago, Erithacus said:

Like many people who have been seriously affected by the virus restrictions, football is one industry that will have to take a good long look at itself. There will have to be permanent changes and hopefully it will bring some sense of reality to those who didn't know they missed it. The goalposts are on the move!

Chelsea's expenditure already this summer makes me wonder...

With so many new TV platforms looking for a way into the market the over all rights figure could still be high but the spread of coverage much wider. Depending on how quickly things recover after COVID depends on how much money every one has in their pockets to spend. We may see 10 packages at 100 million a pop instead of 2 packages of 500 million each.

The problem with diluting the content across a larger number of platforms is that the consumer normally needs to spend more to access all of the matches...even with fewer matches I don’t see Sky or BT reducing their prices (many are already on 18 month contracts)

5 hours ago, Paulton Red said:

The problem with diluting the content across a larger number of platforms is that the consumer normally needs to spend more to access all of the matches...even with fewer matches I don’t see Sky or BT reducing their prices (many are already on 18 month contracts)

But when those contracts reach a point of renewal a lot might think... well, Amazon are showing games, and I use them a lot for other things, so I'll stick with Prime, the BBC have highlights, and Netflix provide something for everyone... I can do without Sky and BT Sport.

Archived