IGNORED

Possible boost for Sunday?

Mr Popodopolous

Looks like a number of Sheffield Wednesday players have rejected extensions between now and the end of the season- don't know if they are playing already or will be.

https://www.swfc.co.uk/news/2020/june/owls-201920-player-update/

The Owls can confirm that Paul Jones, Kieran Lee and Atdhe Nuhiu have signed short term contract extensions to the end of the current campaign.

However...

Offers were made to Steven Fletcher, Fernando Forestieri and Morgan Fox, which were declined.

What with this ongoing and their EFL hearing starting this week, will it help or hinder us? I'd like to think help but siege mentality and all that...Also one or two unknowns.

Sam Hutchinson and Sam Winnall will be released from the club upon the expiry of their contracts on 30 June.

Talks remain ongoing regarding loan extensions for Alessio Da Cruz, Jacob Murphy, Connor Wickham and Josh Windass.

David Bates will return to his parent club Hamburg at the end of June.

If those talks are not fruitful, would they play Sunday? They could be decimated in a best case scenario! ?

A week later could be even better, but a bit of stick or twist for the 4 loanees- do I commit to that challenge, do I bust a gut in my possible last game etc.

I assume the loanees will extend or at least play Sunday, be involved anyway- but the uncertainty can't be doing them any good in the build up.

I know I'm going to be knocked for this but I feel like whenever we play teams that have a number of their first choice players out, we get confident and then get hammered anyway. 

Maybe I'm just feeling deflated by our current form and style of play that makes me think any team could play us and get a result. I just don't see where our next, 'we played better than them', win is coming from.

39 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Looks like a number of Sheffield Wednesday players have rejected extensions between now and the end of the season- don't know if they are playing already or will be.

However...

What with this ongoing and their EFL hearing starting this week, will it help or hinder us? I'd like to think help but siege mentality and all that...Also one or two unknowns.

If those talks are not fruitful, would they play Sunday? They could be decimated in a best case scenario! ?

A week later could be even better, but a bit of stick or twist for the 4 loanees- do I commit to that challenge, do I bust a gut in my possible last game etc.

I assume the loanees will extend or at least play Sunday, be involved anyway- but the uncertainty can't be doing them any good in the build up.

If footballers are stupid their agent's are even more stupid

45 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

However...

I thought Blackburn had a number missing. Didn't seem to affect the result or performance  in our favour at all. Johnson would be terrified if they put out a youth team.

3 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

I thought Blackburn had a number missing. Didn't seem to affect the result or performance  in our favour at all. Johnson would be terrified if they put out a youth team.

They did! Nyambe, unexpectedly- better known about serious issues at LB (Cunningham, Williams and Bell) which meant fielding a 19 year old right sided midfielder there and of course Dack. Armstrong clearly not fully fit too, hence on the bench.

Holtby dropped in and got a 3 v 2 going in CM, which helped to begin our issues IMO. The number of fouls we committed, the slow start...so much wrong with last Saturday!

However I think the uncertainty could help...we'll see anyway and we of course need to be much better than we were.

We've been down this road before.

Team that we're due to play next are in turmoil/have  huge injury list/ have manager sacked/ are hit by sickness etc etc

We think we;re gonna get 3 points just by turning up......

... and then, against all the odds, we somehow manage to lose (and usually in spectacular style).

Let's take nothing for granted.

On the bright side, Wednesday might consider us to be the team in turmoil. Let's hope they play as badly as we played against Blackburn.

You've gone and done it now...

I remember Grealish was injured when we lost to Villa last season. Dack loves being injured when Blackburn beat us. Didn't Preston beat us with their under 17s once?

An opposition in crisis is guaranteed to beat City...

8 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

Barry Bannan will score that’s a bloody certainty! He would be a great signing.

He is exactly what we could do with in midfield - but we won’t because he’s probably too opinionated for Johnson 

Bannan would be good but even better in a 3 IMO. Can he operate in a 2? Unsure- would have to look at average positioning, history etc- he would though add some goals, assists and experience.

@Davefevs Okay that's not as much optimism as I hoped- still it may disrupt them a bit, cause them a bit of uncertainty.

Murphy and Wickham the latter scored the equaliser, started though- Da Cruz assisted the equaliser off the bench- seems it's still not yet nailed down (though I'd be surprised if it won't be).

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

However...

Away win written all over this. 

1 hour ago, daored said:

He is exactly what we could do with in midfield - but we won’t because he’s probably too opinionated for Johnson 

Or you know because he's 30 and we won't pay how much it would cost to buy him....

I think a wider point is how utterly ridiculous it is to be playing the season out in this fashion. 
The fact that out of contract players or their clubs can decide they don’t want to play. Some players won’t be sufficiently motivated to give their all. Having a ridiculous amount of substitutes. Having dickass kick off times. The whole thing is a farce. It’s not football that we are watching. It’s a compulsory event demanded by tv money. 

The integrity of it all is destroyed. You’ve basically got about 6 teams with something realistic to play for. The other teams won’t be showing any determination. Once a team knows it can’t go up or go down the majority of their players will switch off. It doesn’t make for a fair balance to the season. It’s just a total farce. 

If they’d wanted to do it properly, they should’ve at the very least made sure all player contracts were extended til the end of the season and ensured that teams had their full existing squad to choose from. 

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I agree, won't be easy- the uncertainty may come in handy for us though.

We also need to be positive, set up right etc- do our bit.

We haven't been set up right for a long time though when it's been so obvious for so long that something is not working, so I can't see us playing differently on Sunday unfortunately. Full of joy aren't I!

10 minutes ago, Harry said:

I think a wider point is how utterly ridiculous it is to be playing the season out in this fashion. 
The fact that out of contract players or their clubs can decide they don’t want to play. Some players won’t be sufficiently motivated to give their all. Having a ridiculous amount of substitutes. Having dickass kick off times. The whole thing is a farce. It’s not football that we are watching. It’s a compulsory event demanded by tv money. 

The integrity of it all is destroyed. You’ve basically got about 6 teams with something realistic to play for. The other teams won’t be showing any determination. Once a team knows it can’t go up or go down the majority of their players will switch off. It doesn’t make for a fair balance to the season. It’s just a total farce. 

If they’d wanted to do it properly, they should’ve at the very least made sure all player contracts were extended til the end of the season and ensured that teams had their full existing squad to choose from. 

That happens in normal seasons too.

21 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That happens in normal seasons too.

Not to anywhere near the extent it’ll happen now. 
In a normal season a player might not be fully motivated come season end and maybe perform at 80%, and likely get dropped as a result, but this year they’ll all be playing at half pace once they realise they don’t actually need to be there putting themselves or their families in unnecessary danger. 

2 minutes ago, daored said:

But we need experienced / creative  players in our squad 

Comes back to the outlay involved to get him here though would probably be at least a £5m transfer for someone you'd probably be wanting to replace in your starting XI within 2 seasons

6 minutes ago, hodge said:

Comes back to the outlay involved to get him here though would probably be at least a £5m transfer for someone you'd probably be wanting to replace in your starting XI within 2 seasons

Maybe but I guess the question is would he improve our starting 11? the alternatives we have is Walsh ? I don’t see Morrell being that creative player 

9 minutes ago, daored said:

Maybe but I guess the question is would he improve our starting 11? the alternatives we have is Walsh ? I don’t see Morrell being that creative player 

The thing would be looking for a younger player to bring in about 25 ish, so experienced enough but still able to be around for a while/sold on with value. Like Will Vaulks but the type of CM we'd be looking for

Archived