IGNORED

Everton show the way .

Major Isewater

Everton signalled their ambitions with the appointment of three-time Champions League-winning boss Ancelotti in December to replace Marco Silva, who was sacked after a string of poor results.

When the Italian took over, Everton were 15th in the table and staring the wrong way - just four points clear of the relegation zone - but their latest victory sees them looking in the opposite direction, four points behind seventh-placed Tottenham.

Get the best coach available and look what happens with the same squad of players.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2

19 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Get the best coach available and look what happens with the same squad of players.

Would I be right to assume you are suggesting something similar might work at City? A bit like when SL signed up Pat Lamb for Bristol Bulls?

I can't think of a single City fan that would disagree with such an idea!

• Like 13

Rarely post an opinion on here as snipers get on my nerves - opinions are just that not facts. However this says it all, Lee reminds me of Eric Morecambe that is - "I'm playing all of the right notes (players) but not necessarily in the right order (formation)" Back to my silent mode, stay safe people, and enjoy that first pint of cider at your local.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Packman said:

Any ideas? I would suggest top coaches wouldn't be interested in Bristol City, we're not a big club. Bristol Bears are in the premiership, and I'm guessing have one on the best budgets in the league, you can't really compare the two.

I wrote ‘ the best coach available ‘ , it wouldn’t be terribly attractive to the likes of Gardiola , for example, but we should be bold and try for a top coach.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Packman said:

Any ideas? I would suggest top coaches wouldn't be interested in Bristol City, we're not a big club. Bristol Bears are in the premiership, and I'm guessing have one on the best budgets in the league, you can't really compare the two.

The top coaches wouldn’t be interested as they could work for top Premier League teams or clubs abroad. However, there are always plenty of good coaches who would want to work with a team like City. We’ve got a good ground, training facilities, the basis of a good team and an owner who gives a coach time and money. The way to identify them is to advertise the job, see who applies and then interview the top 5 applicants. Unfortunately, this basic principle doesn’t seem to happen at City and the job is just given to someone SL likes - eg Lee Johnson, Steve Coppell, Keith Millen, Brian Tinnion 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I could but I know nothing about them other than their records and maybe there are better available ; Hughton, Robins for two .

I must admit I am waming to the idea of Mark Robins the job he has done at Coventry with all the turmoil they have surrounding them is an excellent achievement but he does have failures on his CV also. I think what gets missed by a lot of people on here is that whoemever is brought in to replace LJ will have to operate with the same sustainability restrictions i.e. bring in younger players with a view to making a proft at a later date, this wouldn't be to everyone's liking for example I'm not sure Chris Hughton would be up for that working arrangement. This does limit us somewhat in terms of attracting the "top" coaches available

Edited by Dolman_Stand
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Why? A bunch of non league promotions and a single promotion from L2 to L1. Might as well suggest Darrell Clark. 

It was more of who we will probably end up with! 

34 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I wrote ‘ the best coach available ‘ , it wouldn’t be terribly attractive to the likes of Gardiola , for example, but we should be bold and try for a top coach.

I’m frankly sick of the mind numbingly boring, timid, unadventurous dross we’re stuck with now Major and really think we’ve reached the point where a change is needed.

The problem is, whenever we discuss this subject, we find the pool of potential recruits is pretty depressing.  Unfortunately with our system of having a head coach rather than a manager, that’s going to put off a fair few potential targets, as they won’t have full control. They could be right too and maybe we’re a good example of what can go wrong if too many different individuals are running a football club.

I really fear we’ll then be left with taking a punt on a potentially up and coming individual (in the LJ mould), who sees us as a step up and is prepared to fit in with our management system. That looks like the downside of our continuity model, where a change of HC doesn’t automatically lead to wholesale changes of staff, even though that’s beginning to look like what we desperately need, as things seem to have got very stale.

So in the end, it looks more likely that if change does happen, it’ll be another punt on someone who’ll work within our restrictive system and isn’t going to want full control.  Something along the lines of a Mark Robbins, who appears to be on the up, but hasn’t got an inspiring record in the Championship.  The other scary possibility is a promotion from within, perish the thought!

Bottom line is, I just don’t trust this club to do what’s needed to shake off this lethargy we’ve slipped into and in fact, they may be quite happy where we are.

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

29 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

I’m frankly sick of the mind numbingly boring, timid, unadventurous dross we’re stuck with now Major and really think we’ve reached the point where a change is needed.

The problem is, whenever we discuss this subject, we find the pool of potential recruits is pretty depressing.  Unfortunately with our system of having a head coach rather than a manager, that’s going to put off a fair few potential targets, as they won’t have full control. They could be right too and maybe we’re a good example of what can go wrong if too many different individuals are running a football club.

I really fear we’ll then be left with taking a punt on a potentially up and coming individual (in the LJ mould), who sees us as a step up and is prepared to fit in with our management system. That looks like the downside of our continuity model, where a change of HC doesn’t automatically lead to wholesale changes of staff, even though that’s beginning to look like what we desperately need, as things seem to have got very stale.

So in the end, it looks more likely that if change does happen, it’ll be another punt on someone who’ll work within our restrictive system and isn’t going to want full control.  Something along the lines of a Mark Robbins, who appears to be on the up, but hasn’t got an inspiring record in the Championship.  The other scary possibility is a promotion from within, perish the thought!

Bottom line is, I just don’t trust this club to do what’s needed to shake off this lethargy we’ve slipped into and in fact, they may be quite happy where we are.

If the plan is to have a head coach rather than a manager.  Is what we really need a Director of Football instead?

Just now, soultrader said:

If the plan is to have a head coach rather than a manager.  Is what we really need a Director of Football instead?

Well, that could certainly address the glaring lack of experience in the management side of the club. I’d love someone like Joe Jordan, he’d kick some arses.

One thing seems certain, we’re going nowhere as it stands at present and really needs a shake up.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

Well, that could certainly address the glaring lack of experience in the management side of the club. I’d love someone like Joe Jordan, he’d kick some arses.

One thing seems certain, we’re going nowhere as it stands at present and really needs a shake up.

But would he be in charge of match day team, tactics etc? We're certainly lacking in that dept!

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

The top coaches wouldn’t be interested as they could work for top Premier League teams or clubs abroad. However, there are always plenty of good coaches who would want to work with a team like City. We’ve got a good ground, training facilities, the basis of a good team and an owner who gives a coach time and money. The way to identify them is to advertise the job, see who applies and then interview the top 5 applicants. Unfortunately, this basic principle doesn’t seem to happen at City and the job is just given to someone SL likes - eg Lee Johnson, Steve Coppell, Keith Millen, Brian Tinnion 

I don’t think you can group Coppell in with that group. Two promotions to the PL, for starters. SL interfered and get walked on principle. 

53 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

If he’s achieved so much more than LJ then why has no club above league one taken him on...

Just the way it is. He did a bloody brilliant job at Rovers on the budget he had. If he was an ex-City player a lot on here would be touting him big time, or at least would’ve been a year or so ago.

LJ did not get the job here based on his performances as a head coach at Oldham and Barnsley did he?

54 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

Unfortunately with our system of having a head coach rather than a manager, that’s going to put off a fair few potential targets, as they won’t have full control.

I don’t believe this will be a problem as the days of one man doing everything , in the higher divisions,  are over .

Most clubs have gone in this direction and overseas it is pretty much the norm.

15 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

Ewe make a good point

Baaad pun.

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Everton signalled their ambitions with the appointment of three-time Champions League-winning boss Ancelotti in December to replace Marco Silva, who was sacked after a string of poor results.

When the Italian took over, Everton were 15th in the table and staring the wrong way - just four points clear of the relegation zone - but their latest victory sees them looking in the opposite direction, four points behind seventh-placed Tottenham.

2 hours ago, headhunter said:

Would I be right to assume you are suggesting something similar might work at City? A bit like when SL signed up Pat Lamb for Bristol Bulls?

I can't think of a single City fan that would disagree with such an idea!

All sounds good in theory.

But in reality, anyone who is interested in Bristol City are likely to be a "proven failure" to some degree....

Unless of course, we take a punt on an upcoming manager, but i dont think that would satisfy either of you.

• Hmmm 1

3 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

But would he be in charge of match day team, tactics etc? We're certainly lacking in that dept!

That’s the big question.  You would hope so, because as you say, we’re seriously lacking in the tactical department.  

We already know JJ’s football philosophy, so we know what we’d be getting ..... good, attacking football with a bit of passion and steel. That would certainly lift the mood around the the. club.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, soultrader said:

Can't see that happening with Mark Ashton here.

Although, as we're nearly out of players we can sell on for a profit, his job may come under more scrutiny.

12 minutes ago, Super said:

Didnt we hire a top manager in Steve Coppell?

We thought we had . 

I don’t believe that Uncle Steve is entirely without blame in our current situation. 

He certainly had his fingers burnt with the Coppell fiasco but surely that is down to a) bad luck or b) lack of depth in the recruiting process. 

Does this mean that , unlike many dynamic clubs , we won’t hire a successful established coach at the club again ? 

I, increasingly, feel that SL is a big part of the problem. He evidently trusts the Johnson family and is very loyal to those who are loyal to him . It makes for a comfortable existence. 

However Bristol Cosy Football club will not survive with the sharks at the top table if certain risks are not taken. 

• Like 2