IGNORED

Everton show the way .

Major Isewater

5 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

It is. But we cannot go on forever saying: we're doing better than when we were shite; had a crumbling old ground; attendances of 147 to 16k; had very little income beyond season tickets and matchday tickets; were hopeless in the transfer market.

Comparing ourselves now to what we were before the ground was modernised is lazy, complacent and no longer of any merit. 

SL won't be thinking like this, nor LJ or MA; why would you or we think like this?

I don’t expect Man City spend much time comparing where they used to be, to where they are now

5 hours ago, Dolman_Stand said:

I must admit I am waming to the idea of Mark Robins the job he has done at Coventry with all the turmoil they have surrounding them is an excellent achievement but he does have failures on his CV also. I think what gets missed by a lot of people on here is that whoemever is brought in to replace LJ will have to operate with the same sustainability restrictions i.e. bring in younger players with a view to making a proft at a later date, this wouldn't be to everyone's liking for example I'm not sure Chris Hughton would be up for that working arrangement. This does limit us somewhat in terms of attracting the "top" coaches available

Previous failures followed by a subsequent success on a CV is a plus point if you ask me.  An indication they may have learned from their mistakes.  It's why you interview - so you can ask about that.  What did they learn and how did it inform how they approached their next challenge.

The sustainability is a rule to work to. I think coaches expecting massive spending sprees are going to struggle to get employed in the next few years.  We are a damnsight more attractive than a club with no home or one with the spectre of FFP hanging over it.  A history of giving managers/coaches time will also be attractive

• Like 4

Just now, Portland Bill said:

He just said he’s achieved more than LJ, that’s a fact,  Why try and twist that fact into something else.

Not trying to twist it at all, he may well have had successes but the fact he’s never managed at this level makes them pretty irrelevant. Lee Lashenko has won more than LJ, doesn’t make him a better manager though does it?

4 hours ago, Riaz said:

Dont think i am negative.

I just dont think people realise what a small club we are seen as, outside of Bristol.

I also think LJ is doing a good job overall, when you take everything into account.

I work all other the country, we are certainly not seen as a small club , the sleeping giant thing gets mentioned a few times, which I don’t agree we are , but we’re definitely not seen as a small club 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, glen humphries said:

I work all other the country, we are certainly not seen as a small club , the sleeping giant thing gets mentioned a few times, which I don’t agree we are , but we’re definitely not seen as a small club 

Outside of the Bristol area - no one grows up and dreams of playing for Bristol City do they?? :laugh:

8 hours ago, Packman said:

Any ideas? I would suggest top coaches wouldn't be interested in Bristol City, we're not a big club. Bristol Bears are in the premiership, and I'm guessing have one on the best budgets in the league, you can't really compare the two.

You say not big club but you certainly got a lot going for you and what often intrigues me over the years is how Swindon attracted   the  likes of , Ardiles, Hoddle, McMahon, Evans, Wise, Di Canio etc yet City have stayed clear of a big names since the likes of Cooper & Jordan 

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

You say not big club but you certainly got a lot going for you and what often intrigues me over the years is how Swindon attracted   the  likes of , Ardiles, Hoddle, McMahon, Evans, Wise, Di Canio etc yet City have stayed clear of a big names since the likes of Cooper & Jordan 

Fair point and you guys have certainly set your sights higher than us on the manager front, so fair play. ?

We just set our sights lower down here and play safe and go for someone who isn’t likely to shake things up.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, headhunter said:

Would I be right to assume you are suggesting something similar might work at City? A bit like when SL signed up Pat Lamb for Bristol Bulls?

I can't think of a single City fan that would disagree with such an idea!

9 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

You’re not wrong,

He is wrong. It's Bristol Bears and Pat Lam. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

Fair point and you guys have certainly set your sights higher than us on the manager front, so fair play. ?

We just set our sights lower down here and play safe and go for someone who isn’t likely to shake things up.

I definitely think that's what you need to do speculate to accumulate to take you to the next level where you compete in the Premiership with the likes of Norwich, Bournemouth, Burnley etc even if you were a yo yo club for a few years to get established 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

I definitely think that's what you need to do speculate to accumulate to take you to the next level where you compete in the Premiership with the likes of Norwich, Bournemouth, Burnley etc even if you were a yo yo club for a few years to get established 

Sure you’re right ST and many of our fans have mentioned WBA as a good model too.

unfortunately for us, I really don’t think we’re that much closer on the playing side since Lee Johnson took over.  Some fans get fooled by only looking at the League table, but that only tells half the story.

I think Johnson is pragmatic enough to realise he isn’t a tactical genius or man manager, so he relies on playing a percentage game and grinding out results which are often undeserved. It really is turgid and painful to watch, particularly for a fanbase who are usually calling for attacking football.

There is a feeling that we’re just one good appointment away from really getting this club into gear and kicking on. Problem is, although we’re willing to spend very multi £millions on players, we insist on shopping in the Poundshop for our managers!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Outside of the Bristol area - no one grows up and dreams of playing for Bristol City do they?? :laugh:

They perhaps grow up dreaming of being part of a history making team.

I remember when Middlesbrough were a ‘ joke ‘ club , never having won a major domestic trophy until 2004 . They are now a respected club . 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I remember when Middlesbrough were a ‘ joke ‘ club , never having won a major domestic trophy until 2004 . They are now a respected club . 

16 hours ago, glen humphries said:

Obviously not but that doesn’t mean we’re a small club 

Until we make it to the premier league, we will be viewed as a small club.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Riaz said:

Until we make it to the premier league, we will be viewed as a small club.

I don’t know how much we’re viewed as a ‘small club’ , but I think we’re widely viewed as a club with very big potential.

Sadly, I seriously doubt that will ever be realised, and BCFC will forever be the club that people say they expected to kick on and were surprised that it never actually happened.

I reckon this club are happy to stay comfortably around the Championship, preferably in the top half, to give fans the hope that with one good season we could progress.  This means any player who shines for a season will have a Championship price tag when they are inevitably sold.

That to me can be the only reason why we still have LJ at the helm, as to be fair, he isn’t doing a bad job in that respect, though I’d wager that the majority of the fanbase have little or no belief that he’ll ever take us up.

• Like 2

Just now, Major Isewater said:

If we view ourselves as a ‘ small ‘ club then we’ll never make the Prem so what do we do ? 

Small clubs make the PL.... Blackpool were tiny... still are!

Its difficult but can be done

8 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Good point. Swindon as well come to think of it .

They did however think big in terms of managerial appointments.

I guess my thinking is, as long as we stay a top half club, we always have a chance and our time will come!

22 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Reached a European final too- 35k stadium, they certainly have grown as a club.

A joke club though? Hadn't they been in the top 2 divisions for a fair chunk of their history, not that small or minor. Not saying big but not at the status of 'joke' club surely.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

On 25/06/2020 at 16:20, Shaun Taylor said:

Geography? It`s fairly easy to live in your nice house in the Home Counties and commute to Swindon, an extra hour+ each way to Bristol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Geography? It`s fairly easy to live in your nice house in the Home Counties and commute to Swindon, an extra hour+ each way to Bristol.

Good point and I know Hoddle used to travel from his country pad in Surrey, Phil Brown lived in the Cotswolds and Wellens got an apartment on the outskirts of Town but does travel back to Manchester throughout the week 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Good point. Swindon as well come to think of it .

They did however think big in terms of managerial appointments.

I guess small in comparison to Bristol but still over 223,000 compaired with Blackpool 140,000, Blackburn 150,000, Burnley 89,000, Bournemouth 180,000

On 25/06/2020 at 08:07, Packman said:

Any ideas? I would suggest top coaches wouldn't be interested in Bristol City, we're not a big club. Bristol Bears are in the premiership, and I'm guessing have one on the best budgets in the league, you can't really compare the two.

The question is - How then do we become a big club?

On 25/06/2020 at 08:46, pongo88 said:

The top coaches wouldn’t be interested as they could work for top Premier League teams or clubs abroad. However, there are always plenty of good coaches who would want to work with a team like City. We’ve got a good ground, training facilities, the basis of a good team and an owner who gives a coach time and money. The way to identify them is to advertise the job, see who applies and then interview the top 5 applicants. Unfortunately, this basic principle doesn’t seem to happen at City and the job is just given to someone SL likes - eg Lee Johnson, Steve Coppell, Keith Millen, Brian Tinnion 

One season with the quality of our players would ensure that a top coach would soon be up there with the Premier League teams.