IGNORED

Depressed

Unan

1 hour ago, Leveller said:

It’s a bit subtle, but presumably he’s suggesting that even with the best collection of strikers we’ve had for a while, we can’t create chances for them.

Midfield required to do that

12 hours ago, glos old boy said:

Midfield required to do that

Outnumbered yet again. A starting point.

The most curious suggestion I saw on here was a Smith and Palmer pair in a 3-4-3- could you imagine how overrun/outnumbered that gets and how penned in we'd be in multiple areas. Strikers would be wildly isolated, wing backs vs a lot of setups in this League exposed in 2 v 1, and ability to run at 35 year old Williams...one of those is bad enough but all 3 or 4!?

Makes me so annoyed to hear some of the excuses on here regarding issues like this. 

If we dont score, our strikers are crap

If we buy proven strikers, our midfield is crap

If we score 1 we have a crap defence and goalkeeper

I know we are still just in top half but how many times has Johnson had the final piece of the jigsaw delivered and then things still dont work out.

Buy 2 of the best defenders in the league with Dasilva and kalas. Cant score ... Must be midfield then, buy massengo and Nagy ... need creativity in attack ... spend 4 mill on Kasey Palmer ... things not going quite to plan by christmas and not scoring enough goals and conceding too many .. buy a multi million pound CB from leicester in benkovic ... hull citys former captain in cm and one of the leagues in form goalscorers. 

But of course harder to get players up to speed with playing style in january. This season Johnson then gets handed a 100 day break to work on bucking up his ideas and talking to his players. 

Add in the return of premier league quality striker benik afobe and what happens?

All the pieces click together?

Nope ... we are am absolute shambles, awful defence, zero midfield and 0 shots on target all game from any of our strike force.

All the quality we have brought in either look like the same crock of rubbish as the rest of the team or Johnsons fallen out with them/refuses to play them.

1 hour ago, City18 said:

Makes me so annoyed to hear some of the excuses on here regarding issues like this. 

If we dont score, our strikers are crap

If we buy proven strikers, our midfield is crap

If we score 1 we have a crap defence and goalkeeper

I know we are still just in top half but how many times has Johnson had the final piece of the jigsaw delivered and then things still dont work out.

Buy 2 of the best defenders in the league with Dasilva and kalas. Cant score ... Must be midfield then, buy massengo and Nagy ... need creativity in attack ... spend 4 mill on Kasey Palmer ... things not going quite to plan by christmas and not scoring enough goals and conceding too many .. buy a multi million pound CB from leicester in benkovic ... hull citys former captain in cm and one of the leagues in form goalscorers. 

But of course harder to get players up to speed with playing style in january. This season Johnson then gets handed a 100 day break to work on bucking up his ideas and talking to his players. 

Add in the return of premier league quality striker benik afobe and what happens?

All the pieces click together?

Nope ... we are am absolute shambles, awful defence, zero midfield and 0 shots on target all game from any of our strike force.

All the quality we have brought in either look like the same crock of rubbish as the rest of the team or Johnsons fallen out with them/refuses to play them.

Boom ? 

His football is predictable, the team he picked Saturday was not aligned to the way we played, or vice-versa.  We are easily stifled.

As I often say I don’t think formations are the be all and end all, but the best football we played this season was either:

1. 5212 with Palmer feeding Afobe and Weimann
  2. a lopsided 4231 where Brownhill played narrow right and Weimann buzzed around in the hole behind Diedhiou

Both set ups allowed us to be heavier in numbers in the centre of the pitch than when we go with two “wingers”, especially when they stay stuck out on the touch line.  This helps us both defensively and transition into attack to, with shorter (and more like to be successful) passes.

On Sunday, I think the 4411 will be chucked in the bin:

1. because it didn’t work
  2. because Wednesday also play 532, and LJ has a ready made “I had to match them up” excuse.

Wednesday play wingers as their wing-backs, we play full-backs.  That will be an interesting dynamic to watch.  You’d like to think there are huge holes down the side of their CBs and would suit Wells, Afobe or Weimann over Diedhiou.

Don't have access to all the stats, but it seems to me that 1 shot on target per 90 minutes is about par for the course for me.  Pretty poor when you have a defence so full of holes that it leaks 3.

With a squad worth millions and a wage bill off the planet there seems to be only one area it is going wrong. When I saw the team selection on Saturday I was flabbergasted.  There seemed to be no commitment to tackle, close down or chase after loose balls, in fact the team apperared to be socially distancing.  And as for tactics, lump it forward to Diedhiou is never going to work. 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Boom ? 

His football is predictable, the team he picked Saturday was not aligned to the way we played, or vice-versa.  We are easily stifled.

As I often say I don’t think formations are the be all and end all, but the best football we played this season was either:

2. a lopsided 4231 where Brownhill played narrow right and Weimann buzzed around in the hole behind Diedhiou

Both set ups allowed us to be heavier in numbers in the centre of the pitch than when we go with two “wingers”, especially when they stay stuck out on the touch line.  This helps us both defensively and transition into attack to, with shorter (and more like to be successful) passes.

2. because Wednesday also play 532, and LJ has a ready made “I had to match them up” excuse.

Wednesday play wingers as their wing-backs, we play full-backs.  That will be an interesting dynamic to watch.  You’d like to think there are huge holes down the side of their CBs and would suit Wells, Afobe or Weimann over Diedhiou.

The last bit of this is what infuriates me. Every teams worked out a system that works for them and train that way then play that way.

Johnson goes off and studies other teams and tries to make the perfect counter plan. Then the players have a week to learn new style and then we get served up the crap we did at the weekend

11 minutes ago, City18 said:

Johnson goes off and studies other teams and tries to make the perfect counter plan. Then the players have a week to learn new style and then we get served up the crap we did at the weekend

That's it in a nut shell for me. Too much time spent worrying about the opposition instead of maximising our own strengths.

Stop trying to be too clever Lee.

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Boom ? 

Didn't we play 532/352 at their place earlier this season. We lost 1-0 and had 3 shots in the game. Soft penalty IIRC but still, looking at the stats and the match day thread we were, to put it mildly, ******* shite.

8 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Don't have access to all the stats, but it seems to me that 1 shot on target per 90 minutes is about par for the course for me.  Pretty poor when you have a defence so full of holes that it leaks 3.

It's not quite as bad a s one per 90 minutes, but it's still pretty poor.

We average 3.32 shots on target per game. We let our opponents have 4.66 per game.

This is where we sit in the league for that metric. Keep scrolling down.

image.png.1a892db08f7a204f8fa2ef8783293069.png

29 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Didn't we play 532/352 at their place earlier this season. We lost 1-0 and had 3 shots in the game. Soft penalty IIRC but still, looking at the stats and the match day thread we were, to put it mildly, ******* shite.

Yes we did, a midfield 3 of Smith, Brownhill and O’Dowda.  We were complete shite.

They played a 442, Bannan and Luongo cooing no probs at all with our extra man, feeding balls into Rhodes and Nuhiu.  I recall Smith having a decent game, but Brownhill and O’Dowda being non-existent.

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yes we did, a midfield 3 of Smith, Brownhill and O’Dowda.  We were complete shite.

They played a 442, Bannan and Luongo cooing no probs at all with our extra man, feeding balls into Rhodes and Nuhiu.  I recall Smith having a decent game, but Brownhill and O’Dowda being non-existent.

God, and I am going to be hungover and watching at 6am where I am. Cannot wait.

11 hours ago, City18 said:

The last bit of this is what infuriates me. Every teams worked out a system that works for them and train that way then play that way.

11 hours ago, ooRya said:

That's it in a nut shell for me. Too much time spent worrying about the opposition instead of maximising our own strengths.

Stop trying to be too clever Lee.

The funny thing is this is both true and untrue IMO.

He can try to match up individually on one level. Think Sheffield United at home last year- which actually came off and was a fairly intriguing if slow burning game.

However if you actually look at how a lot if the sides and especially the higher to middling ones he goes his own way. Many of them use 3 in CM, a genuine one at that and outnumber us, often out manoeuvre us too. 

We have the worst of all worlds in a sense! He can try to match up yet all too often seems to get us outnumbered in midfield and out thought in general.

Archived