IGNORED

Lee Johnson talking to Burnley

Hxj

15 minutes ago, Redpool said:

Rather have this Potter 

8D830AB3-9091-435F-9347-926C2698FFD5.png

Rather have his nephew Harry .

He might be able to conjure up that bit of magic that LJ can't!

10 minutes ago, Fatalist said:

FLW must be pretty reliable as they report that "Johnson's teams play football that is easy on the eye". Who can doubt them after that insight?

The report was written by Stevie Wonder.

37 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Just to say your point being "If you ignore the higher one, he's delivered our highest finish" doesn't mean much.

Even ignoring 2008, we also finished 10th the year after, and 15th the year after that.

In 15/16 we were 18th, in 16/17 we were 17th, and in 17/18 we were 11th - so all lower than 09/10, and two lower than 10/11.

To say he has "constantly" done it is a bit of an exaggeration don't you think? He's finished higher than our SECOND best finish last time... once. By two places.

We are currently sitting 10th - the same as the 09/10 season.

Don’t overlook 90/91, just 2 points outside the playoffs.

A forgotten period, but city should have achieved more. 

I always think that early 90s period sums us up in that the second division is our top flight and we’re too scared to ever push for more.

17 minutes ago, Matty_Taylor_is_god said:

We were 10th when he left I believe?

.... dropping like a stone, being dragged down by a combination of the useless dross he’d signed and the growing dressing room unrest.

Don’t get me wrong, I loved his cheeky chappy personality and he had a great connection with the fans.  GJ did a really great job for us and I absolutely loved that Play-off season, but it was so clear the wheels were totally coming off at the point when he left.

GJ could also get far more out of his players than his son can manage, which is why it looks like SL will be throwing good money after bad, if he keeps LJ on any longer.

Hoping he’ll come good isn’t enough, he needs to show he’s got it in him and he certainly isn’t giving any indication that he has, sadly.

1 hour ago, hodge said:

Webster wasn't an initial starter for Brighton, took several games to displace Duffy and thats a £20m signing

Joined Burnley in summer 2018 IIRC...all clubs and managers have bad signings or those who don't work out of course. According to Wiki 1 PL appearence, 2 FA Cup and 2 League Cup last season, 1 this- on a 4 year deal, club record fee!

Peacock-Farrell- joined summer 2020, zero appearances to date. Only £2.5m of course so that's pretty modest.

In fairness, in summer 2018 he'd have padded the squad out a bit for Europe...but they went out in 2nd qualifying round! 

A certain Wells he signed for £5m, appearances 9 and that's it. According to WhoScored, all sub apps- in total about half a game- great investment!

His overall hit rate is probably not bad but there are some he signs who he wastes cash on or doesn't utilise in a way that gets the best out of them.

Brownhill too of course- has only played once, but still early days there of course. Think he will prove to be a success in due course. Vydra, one who has been underused or misused- might have done better at PL level in a more footballing side.

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

I don’t think Moyes would want to come to City but, if he did want to come, I wouldn’t complain. I agree he’s past his best, but his “past his best” is still probably better than LJ. It would probably be a drab style of play with him in charge but I could live with that as we’d  win more matches. 

Its not about a level such as 'past his best' I think the game of football itself is/has evolved beyond his brand of management.

Never happen ............though if he gets offered the job, i am happy to pay his petrol money to Burnley,  Any manager who states that Bentley is a Prermiership keeper who will one day play for England (Admittedly he doesn't say at which sport?} is unlikely to become a Premiership manager.... IMHO.

Archived