IGNORED

Physicality.

Bob Thompson

2 hours ago, Cowshed said:

Mr Johnson is not attempting to achieve high lines and pressing. His team use a medium block, frequently screen and generally are not a fast pressing team. The players didn't abandon high pressing Mr Johnson did. Its is not a mystery. If we have a fair cursory look at City's players like Famara or Palmer or Eliason and think about the skills needed (pressing profiles) including these players would be problematic. 

I was answering your point about trends in the game. Its a fact over decades football has become more technical. Its a fact football has become more physical. That physicality is not tacking as players are tackling less, physicality is they are running more, much more. Football has also become more tactical, and technical ability in players feeds tactical flexibility.

Hence my answer to your point -. Technique and aerobic performance are the trends in the game.

I would like to see City employ an extra player in midfield. I would like to see the team press more screen less. I would like to see the team pass the ball more efficiently. That would not be resolved by stature alone. 

Totally agree.  He stopped it and moved us to counter attacking team, without great thought in terms of how we’d transition into an attack effectively.  The 17/18 high press allowed transition to attack really easily because everyone was close at hand, when we won the ball back.

On 26/06/2020 at 07:53, Alessandro said:

Not sure physicality is the only solution. Talking of midfielders, off the top of my head, some of the championship recent best are hardly ‘physical’ as a key attribute:

Bannan

Cairney

Hernandez

Benrahma

Phillips

Bowen 

Knockaert

Grealish

Norwood

To name a few...

Two of our most recent top scorers, Bobby and Tammy, again, hardly all physicality. Work rate for Bobby yes, and he made the best of what he had, but not dominant physically. 

Plenty of cumbersome physicality has been on display today.

Bristol City did not have a player or players who could put a foot on the ball. Bristol City did not have a player who could get their head up and could bring team mates into play consistently.

I can say without exaggeration I frequently see youth teams with players who display more composure on a football than the team Lee Johnson has formed and developed. Mr Johnson should be chastened by the performance of his team. It is reflection of his ideas. This is his identity.

On the oppositions side there was a player who was always available for his team mates, composed on the ball, got his head up distributing the ball efficiently with precision, and there he is at the top of your list.

He was the smallest player on the pitch. 

On 26/06/2020 at 09:03, glos old boy said:

Bannan will have a field day on Sunday, should have signed him

M.O.M ....our midfielders werent at the races

2 hours ago, Three Lions said:

Bristol City v Sheffield Wednesday skys man of the match Bannan all 5.6 of him!!.

not the sort to come here, wouldnt put up with LJ`s gooble-de-gook, leaders dont like to be led.

On 26/06/2020 at 10:47, Cowshed said:

James Milner is an outlier in terms of athletism- it's aerobic element.  He is exceptional in a squad of exceptional athletes.

its a different skill set. M

Famara is physical he would not be able to do the yards. His recovery is not up to standard. 

Liverpool are based upon endurance athletes . Endurance and recovery = power. 

Endurance and recovery doesn’t equal power at all.

Power equals work done over time where work done equals force x distance. Force is mass x acceleration.

#justsaying

12 minutes ago, Murraysrightplum said:

Endurance and recovery doesn’t equal power at all.

Power equals work done over time where work done equals force x distance. Force is mass x acceleration.

#justsaying

Yes and a big no. Football requires endurance. If work is concentrated on force capacity quality of performance will suffer. Without endurance and recovery a footballer isn't powerful. 

Genuinely think the third man the extra man is  pretty important as @Cowshed says. 

He also mentions Elliason, Palmer and Diedhiou as not up to it in the high press  recovery time etc. Think you could play one of them at any one time. eg Palmer behind say Afobe and Wells (Weimann first reserve) in a 4-3-1-2 (3 true CMs) or say Eliasson left in a 4-3-3/4-3-2-1, again 4-3, then Eliasson wide left, Eliasson wide right forward then either Afobe or Wells. 

Would also add Williams to list of players unsuited to a high line/press. There's more no doubt but he stands out.

Age 35 and 36 in August or September which is an obvious point, can be exposed by pace- he's not been the quickest for a while AFAIK. 

A reminder of the pitfalls now, view back his second yellow vs Brentford. Or was it a straight red having already been blocked. Whatever it was, he's manifestly unsuitable for a high, perhaps even a medium block.

7 hours ago, Three Lions said:

Bristol City v Sheffield Wednesday skys man of the match Bannan all 5.6 of him!!.

My Nan is 5’4’’ and could have won MoM against our non-existent midfield.

If Monk played a a bleeding sausage dog he would have been in the running too. 

LJ can only use the players he’s got. Some have lost their touch at the moment.  Back to basics and hard work which means without Pack and Brownhill probably five hard workers midfield and Diedhou and Adobe sharing the hard work up front one at a time.

Archived