IGNORED

Brentford- what a team

MC RISK77

Watching the game tonight and they are a great side and so good going forward with so much energy, regardless of the end result.

Im not sure about the comparisons to us are but think they sold maupay for 20m and someone called konsi or knota for £10m? But brought in mbuembo and Jansen for 10m. I would suggest our net spends are similar if you disregard January transfer window when we sold brown hill.

we bought Kalas and Massengo for near £15m if you believe the Massengo transfer fee.

Why then are they so far ahead of us and why do they look like such a good team on what I would imagine is a much lower wage cap?

they beat us 5-0 at Ashton gate if I remember correctly 

Ollie ******* Watkins again. 

A Newton Abbot lad. Playing for Exeter. He went to Brentford. We got CoD. 

Explains everything.

My mini-league of Brentford, Preston and us ain’t looking good reading for LJs future. 

Brentford fully deserve to go up.

They haven’t got huge resources, get small crowds, no history of success at higher levels.  In spite of all that, they’ve settled on a style of play that’s a joy to watch and they seem to be able to repeat it, year after year, even after they sell their star players. In spite of selling, they seem to be able to identify replacements to keep things rolling on perfectly.

They are successfully doing everything we’re trying to do, but we’re falling well short.

Good luck to them

2 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

Brentford fully deserve to go up.

They haven’t got huge resources, get small crowds, no history of success at higher levels.  In spite of all that, they’ve settled on a style of play that’s a joy to watch and they seem to be able to repeat it, year after year, even after they sell their star players. In spite of selling, they seem to be able to identify replacements to keep things rolling on perfectly.

They are successfully doing everything we’re trying to do, but we’re falling well short.

Good luck to them

Spot on and also the chairman took a chance on the manager when he could have played safe 

19 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

Watching the game tonight and they are a great side and so good going forward with so much energy, regardless of the end result.

Im not sure about the comparisons to us are but think they sold maupay for 20m and someone called konsi or knota for £10m? But brought in mbuembo and Jansen for 10m. I would suggest our net spends are similar if you disregard January transfer window when we sold brown hill.

we bought Kalas and Massengo for near £15m if you believe the Massengo transfer fee.

Why then are they so far ahead of us and why do they look like such a good team on what I would imagine is a much lower wage cap?

they beat us 5-0 at Ashton gate if I remember correctly 

Massengo was apparently £8m if you include every possible add on, rumour was initial fee was closer to £2.5m so £9.5m if all of Kalas fee was upfront. 

Their coach was an assistant who also worked with their players between the 1st team and B team, knew the philosophy of the club and didn't have to rip anything up just evolved it. Their recruitment has obviously been excellent, remember we wanted Watkins at the same time they did but Exeter wanted more money from us for him which put us off.

20 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Ollie ******* Watkins again. 

A Newton Abbot lad. Playing for Exeter. He went to Brentford. We got CoD. 

Explains everything.

My mini-league of Brentford, Preston and us ain’t looking good reading for LJs future. 

The choice was actually sign him or Eliasson.

In hindsight we made the wrong one, but I think it is also fair to say we have spent £2m on far worse players that we did on Niclas. 

16 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Spot on and also the chairman took a chance on the manager when he could have played safe 

They did and it’s paying dividends.

The funny thing is, even though they are building for the future, their new stadium only holds 17,000, so they aren’t expecting to be able to increase their fanbase that much.

Contrast that to us, who refuse to be ambitious with a manager, yet are happy to speculate on a 27,000 seater stadium, then seem satisfied to bore the fans shitless!

It’s a funny old game!!!

14 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

The choice was actually sign him or Eliasson.

In hindsight we made the wrong one, but I think it is also fair to say we have spent £2m on far worse players that we did on Niclas. 

Was this summer according to Johnson, we seemingly didn't think the prices Troyes wanted was worth it (~£7.5m) which after a similar outlay on Kalas could have been viewed as a risk

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/lee-johnson-reveals-bristol-city-transfer-miss/

Just now, Seneca the Younger said:

What I find amazing is that Dean Smith left and they still play the same way, such great football, if only we had such a sound philosophy. 

Similar to Swansea a few years back. They'll do well in the Prem if/when they get there 

They definitely deserve to go up. As I said on the SL thread, their chairman Benham has a clear plan and isn’t afraid to wield the axe in pursuit of success.

Unlike SL and LJ, Benham got rid of Warburton who was successful in establishing them in the Championship. That was considered the ceiling for the little old Bees but they haven’t looked back since. Good luck to them. 

Just now, JonDolman said:

The way they passed it into midfield then with ease with West Brom pressing them. Superb.

But that is their philosophy that they stick with every game.

Agree some of the football is beautiful.

can you imagine us trying to take it to west brom

Frank is better than Smith. Better balance, latter struggles to organise the out of possession side.

They play a 4-3-3 which surely helps!

Strong ethos, consistently recruit with this in mind.

They sell plenty. Have for years- excellent side. Genuinely intrigued to see if they could survive it cope reasonably well in PL. With some judicious strengthening of course.

Archived