IGNORED

Brentford- what a team

MC RISK77

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Yes, that’s entirely possible.

My point was that the choice we had was between signing Watkins & Eliasson & we probably chose the wrong one, but the signing we actually made was still a good one.

Someone earlier on tried to compare for effect the signing of O’Dowda instead, that is completely irrelevant, as we signed him the year before those 2 players moved clubs.

Yes, totally agree. Though It’s difficult to compare players entirely when they have different coaches and play in a different system 

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

My point was that the choice we had was between signing Watkins & Eliasson & we probably chose the wrong one

Remember LJ saying we were looking for a 'Knockaert type player' so depends how you compare both against him

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

And for 35 minutes chased the ball around as Chalobah controlled midfield ???

True enough! Outnumbered or outmanouvered again. ?

That's a good example of why I  think, and this is any side not just us, just throwing in or throwing on lots of attackers, though it's a signal of intent isn't necessarily wise and actually can be counterproductive. Sure we put Palmer on too!

One of LJ's lowest points this season for me when he objected to their "showboating"  FFS. If we were able to do it, he'd have been reveling in it. No, even I on the day applauded that little bit of skill. Sorry! Thomas Frank seems like a nice guy and is proving to be a pretty good manager too. An embarrassing day all round.

21 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

They're winning again, keeping that pressure on the top 2.

Worth noting that though it maybe papertalk, their Head of Recruitment is linked with RB Leipzig. Go get him Steve? Lee Dykes, his name.

Why would he want to leave Brentford? Promotion chasing team and doing his cv no harm either, being in London will also help with recruitment 

3 minutes ago, hodge said:

Why would he want to leave Brentford? Promotion chasing team and doing his cv no harm either, being in London will also help with recruitment 

RB Leipzig would be a strong opportunity, for us nope agreed- I suppose the only argument you could make would be that we have greater potential in the medium-long run than Brentford- but very exciting times for them right now.

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

RB Leipzig would be a strong opportunity, for us nope agreed- I suppose the only argument you could make would be that we have greater potential in the medium-long run than Brentford- but very exciting times for them right now.

Getting Brentford over the line and finishing the project there would probably be better for him then starting a new somewhere slightly bigger in general football scale

5 minutes ago, hodge said:

Getting Brentford over the line and finishing the project there would probably be better for him then starting a new somewhere slightly bigger in general football scale

If they go up this season, absolutely. If not and Leipzig's interest- CL quarter finalists atm is concrete- then he'd have a decision to make.

We'd be a distant third in any case.

Seeing as they didn't get a proper goodbye to Griffin Park wouldn't it be great for them to have Premier League football for the opening season at Lionel Road. Wish Brentford all the best tbh, if not us then them for me. A fantastic away day with friendly fans, and great pubs, plus I've been in their home end several times as a neutral. Met lots of Bees fans during my time in London and they are generally humble, knowledgeable and frankly pleasantly surprised at what is happening to their club.

8 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Their form at the moment reminds me of Fulham a few years ago when they came from nowhere to almost overhaul Cardiff. Playing similar football too. 

Better defensive structure and balance IMO but yes skill in midfield and and goal power undoubtedly similar.

Jokanovic's side could be got at a bit more I think. 

The cruel reality is that if Brentford fail to catch West Brom, they could find themselves beaten in the play offs (as so many good 3rd place sides have), then losing their trio up front and facing a rebuild.

On 26/06/2020 at 20:32, MC RISK77 said:

Watching the game tonight and they are a great side and so good going forward with so much energy, regardless of the end result.

Im not sure about the comparisons to us are but think they sold maupay for 20m and someone called konsi or knota for £10m? But brought in mbuembo and Jansen for 10m. I would suggest our net spends are similar if you disregard January transfer window when we sold brown hill.

we bought Kalas and Massengo for near £15m if you believe the Massengo transfer fee.

Why then are they so far ahead of us and why do they look like such a good team on what I would imagine is a much lower wage cap?

they beat us 5-0 at Ashton gate if I remember correctly 

So what you're saying is that their net spend is similar to ours if we believe made up figures (HNM) and ignore actual ones (JB).....

At the end of the day they are performing extremely well and are unarguably a much smaller club than us in the grand scheme of things, but you don't have to embellish facts to drive that point home.

Archived