Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

1 hour ago, Spud55 said:

They have a philosophy at club level and recruit to suit that, in terms of both managers and personnel, if Franck was to leave tomorrow they would appoint a manager with a similar philosophy allowing continuity. 

We don't appear to have that and have allowed the same manager to change the philosophy and we have ended up with a talented but disjointed squad that don't actually seem to fit the style of play we seem to have adopted. 

Half the players he can’t even ‘trust’ apparently let alone develop a consistent philosophy and style of play with them! 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Brentford Fan said:

Darren Moore mentioned during the summarising that Ollie was also offered to West Brom.

Their loss and all that.

Could have been double that BF, iirc.

Whatever happens at the end of the season, Brentford appear to be a proper club, who haven’t completely sold out to the money men, but still manage to play great football on a budget.

I admit to having a soft spot for the Bees, partly due to many stays in the Kew Bridge.Travelodge and I’ve watched your stadium development with interest.  Will miss Griffin Park, as I’m sure you all will, but sure it’ll be a good move for you.

Must be tough being one of the smaller clubs in London, but you’re doing a cracking job and I’ll bet there are a fair few of the bigger ones looking on you with a good deal of envy on how you’re conducting yourselves in a tough market.

I’ve long given up on us getting anywhere near promotion this year, so will be rooting for your side to make it, even though that will be yet another side sailing past us on the way up to the top flight.

Agree with everything that has been said about Brentford, easily the best side I've seen at Ashton Gate this season, with Leeds and West Brom away the best I've seen full stop (in no small part due to how inept we were). In each of those three games (Brentford at home, West Brom and Leeds away) we looked completely - as in divisions difference in standard - outclassed. Any season where the top 3 are clearly the standout teams, it's a bit of shame there needs to be any play offs (though as always for selfish reasons will happily take them, if only for the fleeting moments of optimism for us prior to that customary annual surrender when Neil Harris and most of mid-table overtake us).

The thing that impresses me about Brentford relative to us is less standout players like Watkins or Benrhama (or in the past Sawyers or Maupay or Gray), but the supporting cast of squad players who come in, know the system and match the required standard. We don't have Brentford's record for unearthing gems, but we could at least get a similar consistency from our squad. Compare to how frequently LJ dips into his squad for adjustments that result in confused, calamitous performances and his "players I can trust" reverse ferret. The difference, I imagine, is Brentford have a clear system that all the squad understand, and the coach truly believes in and trusts any one of them to step in.

As an illustration of that, I think in the 4-0 in January they brought a Russian (?) 21 year old right back into the side, who looked completely comfortable throughout and from memory made quite a few overlapping runs to combine with star players. If we're swapping right back it's because we're flip-flopping on formation or punishing mistakes by one or other following one of our regular meltdowns. With all this said, for a bit of levity, so any lurking Brentford fans don't get a big head, on a small point of order, the season we won at their place via Eliasson, I think Frank had already had a poor run as caretaker and a few of them didn't rate the choice as manager, so hindsight is always easy.  

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

A front 5? Blimey! On paper sounds very exciting, OTOH I have tactical concerns. 

I remember and checking back confirmed this. Last season in a game (one that springs to mind) we did start with Weimann, Eliasson, Paterson and Diedhiou. Ipswich at home.

Bottom of the table and relegation bound Ipswich. As I recall we were somewhat of a mess, no real particular fluency, no patterns of play, little control...

Brentford are a lovely side to watch, great balance too. They play with a central 3. Preston are more orthodox but can score a few at home especially. They play with a 4-2-3-1 albeit one that can shift into a 4-3-3 given a CM is part of the '3' in front. This helps with balance and structure IMO- it labours a point but I see this as fairly crucial at this level today. 

And for 35 minutes chased the ball around as Chalobah controlled midfield 😜😜😜

23 hours ago, GrahamC said:

The choice was actually sign him or Eliasson.

In hindsight we made the wrong one, but I think it is also fair to say we have spent £2m on far worse players that we did on Niclas. 

Maybe Nicolas would have been a better player if he had gone to Brentford? Who knows, they are playing under different coaches. 

2 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Maybe Nicolas would have been a better player if he had gone to Brentford? Who knows, they are playing under different coaches. 

Yes, that’s entirely possible.

My point was that the choice we had was between signing Watkins & Eliasson & we probably chose the wrong one, but the signing we actually made was still a good one.

Someone earlier on tried to compare for effect the signing of O’Dowda instead, that is completely irrelevant, as we signed him the year before those 2 players moved clubs.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Yes, that’s entirely possible.

My point was that the choice we had was between signing Watkins & Eliasson & we probably chose the wrong one, but the signing we actually made was still a good one.

Someone earlier on tried to compare for effect the signing of O’Dowda instead, that is completely irrelevant, as we signed him the year before those 2 players moved clubs.

Yes, totally agree. Though It’s difficult to compare players entirely when they have different coaches and play in a different system 

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

My point was that the choice we had was between signing Watkins & Eliasson & we probably chose the wrong one

Remember LJ saying we were looking for a 'Knockaert type player' so depends how you compare both against him

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

And for 35 minutes chased the ball around as Chalobah controlled midfield 😜😜😜

True enough! Outnumbered or outmanouvered again. 👍

That's a good example of why I  think, and this is any side not just us, just throwing in or throwing on lots of attackers, though it's a signal of intent isn't necessarily wise and actually can be counterproductive. Sure we put Palmer on too!

• Like 1

One of LJ's lowest points this season for me when he objected to their "showboating"  FFS. If we were able to do it, he'd have been reveling in it. No, even I on the day applauded that little bit of skill. Sorry! Thomas Frank seems like a nice guy and is proving to be a pretty good manager too. An embarrassing day all round.

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 1
Just now, paul_fox said:

They're winning both boxes, that's a buzzword now isn't it 

'Winning'? that is a bit of an elusive word to us!. Or did you mean boxes is the buzzword?😀

21 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

They're winning again, keeping that pressure on the top 2.

Worth noting that though it maybe papertalk, their Head of Recruitment is linked with RB Leipzig. Go get him Steve? Lee Dykes, his name.

Why would he want to leave Brentford? Promotion chasing team and doing his cv no harm either, being in London will also help with recruitment 

3 minutes ago, hodge said:

Why would he want to leave Brentford? Promotion chasing team and doing his cv no harm either, being in London will also help with recruitment 

RB Leipzig would be a strong opportunity, for us nope agreed- I suppose the only argument you could make would be that we have greater potential in the medium-long run than Brentford- but very exciting times for them right now.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

RB Leipzig would be a strong opportunity, for us nope agreed- I suppose the only argument you could make would be that we have greater potential in the medium-long run than Brentford- but very exciting times for them right now.

Getting Brentford over the line and finishing the project there would probably be better for him then starting a new somewhere slightly bigger in general football scale

5 minutes ago, hodge said:

Getting Brentford over the line and finishing the project there would probably be better for him then starting a new somewhere slightly bigger in general football scale

If they go up this season, absolutely. If not and Leipzig's interest- CL quarter finalists atm is concrete- then he'd have a decision to make.

We'd be a distant third in any case.

Just now, OldlandReddies said:

They simply have to go up automatically as no team playing in Red/White stripes has ever won playoff final. 

2020 is no ordinary year. They'll go up, and I really hope they do. They deserve it.

Seeing as they didn't get a proper goodbye to Griffin Park wouldn't it be great for them to have Premier League football for the opening season at Lionel Road. Wish Brentford all the best tbh, if not us then them for me. A fantastic away day with friendly fans, and great pubs, plus I've been in their home end several times as a neutral. Met lots of Bees fans during my time in London and they are generally humble, knowledgeable and frankly pleasantly surprised at what is happening to their club.

• Like 4
8 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Their form at the moment reminds me of Fulham a few years ago when they came from nowhere to almost overhaul Cardiff. Playing similar football too. 

Better defensive structure and balance IMO but yes skill in midfield and and goal power undoubtedly similar.

Jokanovic's side could be got at a bit more I think.