IGNORED

Bristol City v Sheffield Wednesday - Match Day 39

Davefevs

Shoot out at High Noon!

Lee Johnson versus Garry Monk (a Giant in comparison).  Lansdown versus Chansiri, there’s a contrast in ownership models!  Ultimately this match will be played out in front of an empty Ashton Gate, albeit fans will be represented by cardboard cutouts.  Got the feel of a cheap Spaghetti Western studio set!

City could find themselves in 12th place and 5 points off 6th place overnight, strong possibility it will be at least 4 points off the playoffs, and pressure dumped on us after last week’s awful performance first game back.

Ashton Gate certainly not the Wild Wild West for visiting teams this season....and as the home side we’ve not been City Slickers either!

Garry Monk

An interesting case, got his admirers, but also his detractors.  Did a reasonable job at Swansea in the Prem,  before taking over Leeds, who at the time were a basket case.  Had them well in the playoff picture before a late slump saw them miss out in 7th.  Went to Boro, who he promised promotion straight back up.  A difficult spell there resulted in him leaving at Xmas.  His best times came at Birmingham, who were struggling after a heavy spending spree, and he got his 442 working really well, centred around a very tidy front pairing of bounty hunters in Jutkiewicz and Adams.  A 9 point deduction for FFP breach cost them any realistic hope of playoffs and over the summer he left.  Onto Sheffield Wednesday where he’s had good and bad runs, but also rumours of dressing room discontent.  His stock is probably at its lowest point.  This might be the last decent job he gets without some success.

How Will They Line-up?

Despite Monk’s reliance on 442 at other clubs, he’s recently alternating between this and a 532.  This has probably been down to personnel as they seek to end a miserable run of 1 win in 11.  When they beat us on Sky just before Xmas they went third!  Their 532 relies on wingers in the wingback positions rather than full-backs, and perhaps the extra man in the centre allows Bannan to Marshall the midfield and play without restrictions.

image.jpeg.00348dd12803f2cd61e6c418183537ba.jpeg
Last week v Forest they rained in 40 crosses, inc several from set pieces.

These weren’t diags from deep, but a result of possession high up the pitch.

image.thumb.jpeg.a609afcf2251fbf7937c5bde42cda317.jpeg

The Players

GK: Joe Wildsmith (and Wesson) (24) - came through the ranks at Wednesday but selected for the first time last week v Forest.

RCB: Liam Palmer (28) - Scottish international who came through youth ranks.  Closing in on 250 games for Wednesday but only one goal.  Likes a tackle, and full of energy down the right side usually, but will be more constrained in the RCB position in a three man defence.

CB: Dominic Iorfa (25) - converted right back and former England u21 international.  Can’t believe how much he has filled out from the skinny RB at Wolves (via loans at Shrewsbury and Ipswich), and I’ve been really impressed each time I’ve seen him this season.  Calm and composed.

LCB: Julian Börner (29) - German born defender who had a fairly undistinguished career back home. Signed on a free in the summer, he has added physicality to the Owls in both boxes.

RWB: Jacob Murphy (25) - on loan from Newcastle and a very tidy wideman with a goal in him.  Not sure how suited to RWB he is though.

LWB: Kadeem Harris (27) - signed on a free from Cardiff in the summer, is a bit of an unsung hero with his hard work and direct running down the left, cutting in onto his right foot

CM: Massimo Luongo (27) - Aussie international signed for £1m from QPR in the summer.  Started at Tottenham before appearing on our radar during his time at Swindon.  Taken over in CM in preference to Sam Hutchinson since just before Xmas.  Hardworking but good technically.

CM: Barry Bannan (30) - experienced Scottish DM with one of the best left pegs in the Champ.  Much wanted at City by Otib, I’ve always been a bit cooler on him, because I think you need the right players around him.  Started at Villa, followed by loans at Derby, Blackpool and Leeds before a move to Palace before finding home at Hillsborough in May 2015.

CM: Kieran Lee (32) - now a veteran in this Wednesday side after signing from Oldham in 2012.  Likes a goal v City too.

ST: Jordan Rhodes (29) - another Scot, whose career has been all about goals. Started at Ipswich, but Huddersfield, then Blackburn was where his glut of goals saw a £10m move to Boro.  Didn’t work out there, so a £10m to Wednesday ensued.  Loaned to Norwich last season, but back in the fold, and back with a bang last week with a hat-trick.  Always felt this gunslinger needed a big-man to help him.  He’s got one here....

ST: Connor Wickham (27) - on loan from Crystal Palace.  Big, mobile striker, with a good touch.  If we don’t get a handle on him physically, him and Rhodes could cause havoc.  My man to watch!

Other Players of note (not mentioned above):

Adam Reach (26) - left footed right sided player who joined Wednesday for over £5m on deadline day in 16/17 season.  Scorer of long rangers, so need to be mindful around the box.  Formerly at Boro, with loans at Bradford and Preston.

ST: Steven Fletcher (32) - former Scottish international who is having a fine season, 12 goals so far.  Excellent in the air and a nice left foot. Came south from Hibs to Burnley for £4.5m, Wolves £6.5m and Sunderland £13.5m, before arriving on a free in summer 2016. 

Tom Lees (CB), Fernando Forestieri (ST), Anti Nuhiu (ST), Moses Odubajo (RB)

How Do We Set-up?

Monk’s decision to switch to a 532 might be a blessing for Johnson.

Having had 100 days to think about shape and system, and players to fill it, he ultimately got it hugely wrong last weekend.  There will be many of us who want him to pick a system and stick with it, but the temptation to match up the opposition will be great, and it will give Johnson the chance to move to a 532/5212 without much criticism, depending on who he selects.  If he sticks with 4411 but changes several personnel, questions will be legitimately asked as to why they weren’t given their chance last week.  Famara Diedhiou did not work as the Lone Ranger last week.  Johnson is looking a bit desperado and this game could be his “last chance saloon”.

I think there could be as many as a Magnificent Seven changes from last week:

1. Maenpaa for Bentley
  2. Hunt for Pereira (injured)
  3. Dasilva for Rowe
  4. Williams in
  5. Weimann or Afobe in
  6. Outlaw Nahki Wells in
  7. Nagy in

Outgoing: Eliasson, O’Dowda, Massengo and Diedhiou

Should Benkovic replace Baker that will be a Hateful Eight of players no longer in the “trust group”.  The pink blades group may have just died with their boots on! They certainly fell over a lot.

How do we win? Key Battles

Some interesting duels across the pitch, will definitely be interesting to see who wins the gunflight out wide, Dasilva v Murphy, Hunt v Harris (a man called horse).  Territory / position might seem an obvious indicator, but Hunt and Da(hiho)silva can let Harris and Murphy come on to them and our forwards exploit the gaps in behind them, where Borner isn’t the most mobile.

Kalas v Wickham - TK was poor last week, but we do know he can take a game or two to get up to speed.  He’s gonna need to show True Grit against Wickham who likes to get it into feet / chest and roll his man 

The Outlaw Nahki Wells must start, and he can gives the Three Amigos Borner, Palmer and Iorfa a difficult afternoon with his movement.  That could be both barrels if Weimann or Afobe partner him.

Our midfield need to stop coming so deep to pick up the ball if we play a back 3, Korey Alias Smith and Nagy (or Billy the Kid Massengo) need to create better passing angles to draw Luongo and Lees out of position.

We must keep the distances back to front shorter than last week.  To be as stretched out as last week is Unforgiven.

Prediction:

Will we see the good, the bad and the ugly? Could be Johnson’s Tombstone, but I do expect that with the Sky cameras present we will get the 3 points.

Should we lose, Johnson’s post match meeting with Ashton and Lansdown could leave him with a Rawhide!

Cmon you reds!

'Punderful' preview Fevs. I think matching up 352 makes sense for this one.

Then we can crowbar the fantasy football trio of Palmer, Wells and Afobe and try to beat wednesday with class.

If plan A does work, we can do the old Eliasson switcheroo.

It’ll be interesting to see who isn’t trusted: 

Some or all of Bentley, Pereira (regardless of injury), Rowe, Baker, O’Dowda, Massengo, Eliasson.....

What interests me is firstly, how many other clubs at our level could realistically replace that many players with equal experience and little argument as to which team was stronger?

Secondly, that list is fully of players regularly or previously left out... the definition of “not trusted” surely. 

Thirdly, Nagy, Williams, Hunt, Maenpaa have all been left out and not trusted before...

How on earth do all these players feel...? it’s just a mess that your team for what’s effectively the first game of a season can be so wrong, perform so badly and need so much change after one game..... 

15 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

It’ll be interesting to see who isn’t trusted: 

Some or all of Bentley, Pereira (regardless of injury), Rowe, Baker, O’Dowda, Massengo, Eliasson.....

What interests me is firstly, how many other clubs at our level could realistically replace that many players with equal experience and little argument as to which team was stronger?

Secondly, that list is fully of players regularly or previously left out... the definition of “not trusted” surely. 

Thirdly, Nagy, Williams, Hunt, Maenpaa have all been left out and not trusted before...

How on earth do all these players feel...? it’s just a mess that your team for what’s effectively the first game of a season can be so wrong, perform so badly and need so much change after one game..... 

Not sure Maenpaa has ever been in the not trusted gang....injuries have cost him his place previously, not form.

A great read, cheers @Davefevs!

I would like to see something like this:

Maenpaa

Kalas      Williams/Benkovic    Baker/Benkovic

Hunt              Smith                    Nagy                         Dasilva

Paterson/Palmer

Wells                  Afobe

Less fussed about who starts at the back, as long as Kalas is there, all are capable in a back three I believe. 

Nagy needs to come in for Massengo, he has more ability to look forward when passing and this will be better for us when breaking the lines and connecting defence to attack. Smith and Massengo don't offer enough in a 2 for me and struggled to do this last week. 

I would like to see Palmer but I think it will be Pato. I think Pato is on good form and can do a job in that role so have no qualms about him starting.

Eliasson, Diedhiou and Palmer/Pato/Weimann gives us very good options to change it up off the bench. 

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Not sure Maenpaa has ever been in the not trusted gang....injuries have cost him his place previously, not form.

Maybe not “not trusted”.... not fancied? There was no real need to “upgrade” him - especially with Max O doing well. 
I guess we will see tomorrow... Bentley did enough to be dropped and also seemed at fault for goals against Southampton. 

18 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

A great read, cheers @Davefevs!

I would like to see something like this:

Maenpaa

Kalas      Williams/Benkovic    Baker/Benkovic

Hunt              Smith                    Nagy                         Dasilva

Paterson/Palmer

Wells                  Afobe

Less fussed about who starts at the back, as long as Kalas is there, all are capable in a back three I believe. 

Nagy needs to come in for Massengo, he has more ability to look forward when passing and this will be better for us when breaking the lines and connecting defence to attack. Smith and Massengo don't offer enough in a 2 for me and struggled to do this last week. 

I would like to see Palmer but I think it will be Pato. I think Pato is on good form and can do a job in that role so have no qualms about him starting.

Eliasson, Diedhiou and Palmer/Pato/Weimann gives us very good options to change it up off the bench. 

I don’t think many on here would disagree with much of that.  Was just debating similar with @hodge.

I think he’ll play Pato because he scored last week.  However the left field option might be Weimann in the hole.

With LJ we will never know!!!

I think he may go back to Palmer over Pato just because of how the link worked at the start of the season. Think we need Weimann's energy upfront though, not overly convinced Wells/Afobe will work well together, they're both the striker who'll look to take the shot rather than set up someone else.

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t think many on here would disagree with much of that.  Was just debating similar with @hodge.

I think he’ll play Pato because he scored last week.  However the left field option might be Weimann in the hole.

With LJ we will never know!!!

No we never can tell what starting 11 LJ will start with. Gone are the days when everyone was available that you could pretty much pick the first 11.

LJ puts huge influence on the training  sessions and none of us are privy as to who is impressing and who isn’t. For example is Walsh back at Failand and is he impressing have torn up L1 at Coventry? No doubt he’ll be buzzing and oozing confidence after his very successful loan.

I long ago gave up trying to select the starting 11...........it’s become something of a lottery under LJ.

Drop 3 points tomorrow and I have a feeling we can forget about the playoffs based on our most recent performances and particularly last week which to be frank was an embarrassment.

Some fight and spirit needs to be instilled from somewhere.

Wonder what team will come out of the tombola for this one? I will be a bit pissed off if O'Dowda or Bentley are playing.

Hope you're all well.

Been difficult for us to think much about the game this week with the hearing taking place. Was hoping it would be resolved either way yesterday so we can begin our inevitable survival battle. In other good news, 3 important players in Steven Fletcher, Morgan Fox and Fernando Forestieri have all refused to extend their contracts beyond the end of June so have all played their last games for the club. It's a particular blow about Fletcher, who's been our player of the season by a mile.

Not sure what to expect from the game tomorrow, we actually played quite well against Forest despite having to rescue a point deep into injury time. 2 wins in 16 league games between us :facepalm: 

Looking at the table right now, we are 5 points adrift so tomorrow is a must win or I feel any faint chance we had will be gone.

I can't believe I am talking about faint chance of going up as we are playing so badly.

Normally, if we were at this position at this stage of the season, I would be mildly optimistic but our performances have drained any optimism out if me. 

I think I am resigned to the fact that we just aren't going to improve enough to get over the line and I can only blame one person for that.

2 minutes ago, Owl Visiting said:

Hope you're all well.

Been difficult for us to think much about the game this week with the hearing taking place. Was hoping it would be resolved either way yesterday so we can begin our inevitable survival battle. In other good news, 3 important players in Steven Fletcher, Morgan Fox and Fernando Forestieri have all refused to extend their contracts beyond the end of June so have all played their last games for the club. It's a particular blow about Fletcher, who's been our player of the season by a mile.

Not sure what to expect from the game tomorrow, we actually played quite well against Forest despite having to rescue a point deep into injury time. 2 wins in 16 league games between us :facepalm: 

We're both pants

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

No we never can tell what starting 11 LJ will start with. Gone are the days when everyone was available that you could pretty much pick the first 11.

LJ puts huge influence on the training  sessions and none of us are privy as to who is impressing and who isn’t. For example is Walsh back at Failand and is he impressing have torn up L1 at Coventry? No doubt he’ll be buzzing and oozing confidence after his very successful loan.

I long ago gave up trying to select the starting 11...........it’s become something of a lottery under LJ.

None of the loanees are back training with the first team group currently.

Liking the style of the opening post and a good read indeed. 

I broadly agree with the team mentioned in the 3-5-2. The one I have some worry about is Williams at CB...can he be exposed by Wickham, Rhodes or pace from midfield?

I'm assuming Rhodes is the quicker of him and Wickham though he's not what he was, hasn't he had injuries too?

Otoh wingback as wingers/wide midfielders. This can be an area to exploit. Iorfa can if course pull wider right to help out in 2 v 1 attacks. Unsure about Palmer on the left?

I wonder if Monk may throw a curveball and play say Reach or Da Cruz behind Wickham? That could pose us one or two other tactical dilemmas or are they more outright wide men?

I never really associated him with 3-5-2 in any case.

My prediction. We will focus our entire preparation trying to neutralise their attack. 

We shall sit back and soak up pressure at the expense of any attacking threat. Reliable defenders, sideways passes across the defence, men behind the ball, when no link between defence and attack is evident we shall result to long hopeful balls forward. I expect ashley William's to play a big part in this.

We shall play defensively through midfield again trying to crowd and stop barry Bannan playing. This will be at the expense again of any creativity in the midfield. Hopefully they will sit deep enough in defence that when we win the ball back there will be a player close enough to the back 4 that they can join in the defensive sideways passing before the hopeful ball is pumped forward. I must reiterate that our wide players will offer little threat going forward and also little in defense. There will be no clever link up play between midfield and attack and if we have the ball in their half our plan will be Palmer work some magic to find afobe, or eliasson hit a wonder cross and diedhiou may be near it.

We shall play 2 up top with afobe/wells and weimann and boot balls up in clearance attempts and rely on the natural creativity of these players to create goals from an otherwise non existent attacking plan. Weimann shall tirelessly run at lost causes and will be lambasted after the game for being hopeless on this forum.

Johnsons master plan will be to clinch the game by a single goal whilst looking very much like the away side. Although we may dominate possession in our own half and claim that the stats showed we should have won.

Realistically I expect the plan to fail, wednesday go 1 up and then we shall throw our initial game plan out the window and finish with Palmer afobe wells and diedhiou on when weimanns exhausted himself chasing lost causes.

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

Alan whats going on i told you he was clueless ??

5 hours ago, Owl Visiting said:

Hope you're all well.

Hi mate, nice to have you back.

I was on Owlstalk earlier and they said Fox had travelled and were presuming something had been sorted out with him.

Archived