IGNORED

Bristol City v Sheffield Wednesday - Match Day 39

Davefevs

If I was Sheffield Wednesday I'd consider Reach or Da Cruz behind Wickham in a 3-5-1-1. If we lineup in the 3-5-2 including Williams of course. I suspect they'll play 3-5-2, played well enough last week.

Few thoughts on potential duels, strengths and weaknesses. 

If say (I'd go Maenpaa but unsure if LJ will). 

Bentley

Kalas Baker Williams

Hunt Nagy Smith DaSilva

Palmer

Wells    Afobe

Could easily switch Paterson for Palmer or Weimann for one of the strikers. Even saw the idea of Weimann as the '1'. I digress! 

Vs the side by Dave but I'd consider one tactical alternative. Reach or Da Cruz behind Wickham, unsure how dangerous Rhodes is these days. Playing in a 2 would surely help Rhodes however!

Iorfa can pull wider to help out Murphy defensively in certain phases. Could he also help out attacking wise?

Reach can pull left- unsure how he is defensively but could he hemp out Harris on the left in certain phases. A quick search suggests Da Cruz can pull left, really know little about him. 

Our wingbacks can expose their wingers rise but if Iorfa and Reach/Da Cruz pulled wide that could turn the tables.

Movement of Wells and Afobe could stretch there back 3, Weimann too but a 3 v 3 at the back? Interesting! 

Back 3 for us might be a worry. If in my scenario Reach or Da Cruz played behind Wickham, in a loose 3-5-1-1 then we have the numbers but not necessarily the legs. Wickham is a handful, Da Cruz or Reach behind...hmm.

Extra man yes but if Reach or Da Cruz runs at Williams we have an issue! Kalas v Wickham, well he'll have his hands full but will relish it. Baker is the spare man but has limited technical and ball carrying ability. Stepping into midfield to get us higher up? Don't think so!

Luongo and Lee vs Smith and Nagy. Good duel but then you have Bannan- and I think a 3 can get the best of him- we're on the back foot and the links between the different parts of the team begin to break down.

I think there are opportunities certainly but I'm also a bit wary. Especially if Monk did something like dropped Reach or Da Cruz in in a freeish role behind Wickham.

I feel we can stretch their back 3 though. Palmer behind two of Afobe, Weimann or Wells could be a challenging 3 v 3.

Albeit, Iorfa is of the age and mobility to cope with that battle, Borner has some reasonable technical stats but don't know a great deal. Palmer I always considered a full back, unsure exactly how he would cope- could he be a weak link?

Sunday could be an interesting tactical battle! 

59 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

I predict a shite performance with a lucky win or streaky draw. Johnson will talk bollocks after the game - something like we worked our socks off and we did better winning the inches (if you like)

Same old bollocks

Cynical, but let's be honest, this is probably what is going to happen.  :laugh:

8 hours ago, marcofisher said:

A great read, cheers @Davefevs!

I would like to see something like this:

Maenpaa

Kalas      Williams/Benkovic    Baker/Benkovic

Hunt              Smith                    Nagy                         Dasilva

Paterson/Palmer

Wells                  Afobe

Less fussed about who starts at the back, as long as Kalas is there, all are capable in a back three I believe. 

Nagy needs to come in for Massengo, he has more ability to look forward when passing and this will be better for us when breaking the lines and connecting defence to attack. Smith and Massengo don't offer enough in a 2 for me and struggled to do this last week. 

I would like to see Palmer but I think it will be Pato. I think Pato is on good form and can do a job in that role so have no qualms about him starting.

Eliasson, Diedhiou and Palmer/Pato/Weimann gives us very good options to change it up off the bench. 

This formation for me. I would pick Williams and Baker from your options. Think I’d start with Weimann alongside Wells with Paterson behind, with a view to bringing Afobe and Palmer on later (given their likely lesser fitness level).

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Shoot out at High Noon!

Lee Johnson versus Garry Monk (a Giant in comparison).  Lansdown versus Chansiri, there’s a contrast in ownership models!  Ultimately this match will be played out in front of an empty Ashton Gate, albeit fans will be represented by cardboard cutouts.  Got the feel of a cheap Spaghetti Western studio set!

City could find themselves in 12th place and 5 points off 6th place overnight, strong possibility it will be at least 4 points off the playoffs, and pressure dumped on us after last week’s awful performance first game back.

Ashton Gate certainly not the Wild Wild West for visiting teams this season....and as the home side we’ve not been City Slickers either!

Garry Monk

An interesting case, got his admirers, but also his detractors.  Did a reasonable job at Swansea in the Prem,  before taking over Leeds, who at the time were a basket case.  Had them well in the playoff picture before a late slump saw them miss out in 7th.  Went to Boro, who he promised promotion straight back up.  A difficult spell there resulted in him leaving at Xmas.  His best times came at Birmingham, who were struggling after a heavy spending spree, and he got his 442 working really well, centred around a very tidy front pairing of bounty hunters in Jutkiewicz and Adams.  A 9 point deduction for FFP breach cost them any realistic hope of playoffs and over the summer he left.  Onto Sheffield Wednesday where he’s had good and bad runs, but also rumours of dressing room discontent.  His stock is probably at its lowest point.  This might be the last decent job he gets without some success.

How Will They Line-up?

Despite Monk’s reliance on 442 at other clubs, he’s recently alternating between this and a 532.  This has probably been down to personnel as they seek to end a miserable run of 1 win in 11.  When they beat us on Sky just before Xmas they went third!  Their 532 relies on wingers in the wingback positions rather than full-backs, and perhaps the extra man in the centre allows Bannan to Marshall the midfield and play without restrictions.

image.jpeg.00348dd12803f2cd61e6c418183537ba.jpeg
Last week v Forest they rained in 40 crosses, inc several from set pieces.

These weren’t diags from deep, but a result of possession high up the pitch.

image.thumb.jpeg.a609afcf2251fbf7937c5bde42cda317.jpeg

The Players

GK: Joe Wildsmith (and Wesson) (24) - came through the ranks at Wednesday but selected for the first time last week v Forest.

RCB: Liam Palmer (28) - Scottish international who came through youth ranks.  Closing in on 250 games for Wednesday but only one goal.  Likes a tackle, and full of energy down the right side usually, but will be more constrained in the RCB position in a three man defence.

CB: Dominic Iorfa (25) - converted right back and former England u21 international.  Can’t believe how much he has filled out from the skinny RB at Wolves (via loans at Shrewsbury and Ipswich), and I’ve been really impressed each time I’ve seen him this season.  Calm and composed.

LCB: Julian Börner (29) - German born defender who had a fairly undistinguished career back home. Signed on a free in the summer, he has added physicality to the Owls in both boxes.

RWB: Jacob Murphy (25) - on loan from Newcastle and a very tidy wideman with a goal in him.  Not sure how suited to RWB he is though.

LWB: Kadeem Harris (27) - signed on a free from Cardiff in the summer, is a bit of an unsung hero with his hard work and direct running down the left, cutting in onto his right foot

CM: Massimo Luongo (27) - Aussie international signed for £1m from QPR in the summer.  Started at Tottenham before appearing on our radar during his time at Swindon.  Taken over in CM in preference to Sam Hutchinson since just before Xmas.  Hardworking but good technically.

CM: Barry Bannan (30) - experienced Scottish DM with one of the best left pegs in the Champ.  Much wanted at City by Otib, I’ve always been a bit cooler on him, because I think you need the right players around him.  Started at Villa, followed by loans at Derby, Blackpool and Leeds before a move to Palace before finding home at Hillsborough in May 2015.

CM: Kieran Lee (32) - now a veteran in this Wednesday side after signing from Oldham in 2012.  Likes a goal v City too.

ST: Jordan Rhodes (29) - another Scot, whose career has been all about goals. Started at Ipswich, but Huddersfield, then Blackburn was where his glut of goals saw a £10m move to Boro.  Didn’t work out there, so a £10m to Wednesday ensued.  Loaned to Norwich last season, but back in the fold, and back with a bang last week with a hat-trick.  Always felt this gunslinger needed a big-man to help him.  He’s got one here....

ST: Connor Wickham (27) - on loan from Crystal Palace.  Big, mobile striker, with a good touch.  If we don’t get a handle on him physically, him and Rhodes could cause havoc.  My man to watch!

Other Players of note (not mentioned above):

Adam Reach (26) - left footed right sided player who joined Wednesday for over £5m on deadline day in 16/17 season.  Scorer of long rangers, so need to be mindful around the box.  Formerly at Boro, with loans at Bradford and Preston.

ST: Steven Fletcher (32) - former Scottish international who is having a fine season, 12 goals so far.  Excellent in the air and a nice left foot. Came south from Hibs to Burnley for £4.5m, Wolves £6.5m and Sunderland £13.5m, before arriving on a free in summer 2016. 

Tom Lees (CB), Fernando Forestieri (ST), Anti Nuhiu (ST), Moses Odubajo (RB)

How Do We Set-up?

Monk’s decision to switch to a 532 might be a blessing for Johnson.

Having had 100 days to think about shape and system, and players to fill it, he ultimately got it hugely wrong last weekend.  There will be many of us who want him to pick a system and stick with it, but the temptation to match up the opposition will be great, and it will give Johnson the chance to move to a 532/5212 without much criticism, depending on who he selects.  If he sticks with 4411 but changes several personnel, questions will be legitimately asked as to why they weren’t given their chance last week.  Famara Diedhiou did not work as the Lone Ranger last week.  Johnson is looking a bit desperado and this game could be his “last chance saloon”.

I think there could be as many as a Magnificent Seven changes from last week:

1. Maenpaa for Bentley
  2. Hunt for Pereira (injured)
  3. Dasilva for Rowe
  4. Williams in
  5. Weimann or Afobe in
  6. Outlaw Nahki Wells in
  7. Nagy in

Outgoing: Eliasson, O’Dowda, Massengo and Diedhiou

Should Benkovic replace Baker that will be a Hateful Eight of players no longer in the “trust group”.  The pink blades group may have just died with their boots on! They certainly fell over a lot.

How do we win? Key Battles

Some interesting duels across the pitch, will definitely be interesting to see who wins the gunflight out wide, Dasilva v Murphy, Hunt v Harris (a man called horse).  Territory / position might seem an obvious indicator, but Hunt and Da(hiho)silva can let Harris and Murphy come on to them and our forwards exploit the gaps in behind them, where Borner isn’t the most mobile.

Kalas v Wickham - TK was poor last week, but we do know he can take a game or two to get up to speed.  He’s gonna need to show True Grit against Wickham who likes to get it into feet / chest and roll his man 

The Outlaw Nahki Wells must start, and he can gives the Three Amigos Borner, Palmer and Iorfa a difficult afternoon with his movement.  That could be both barrels if Weimann or Afobe partner him.

Our midfield need to stop coming so deep to pick up the ball if we play a back 3, Korey Alias Smith and Nagy (or Billy the Kid Massengo) need to create better passing angles to draw Luongo and Lees out of position.

We must keep the distances back to front shorter than last week.  To be as stretched out as last week is Unforgiven.

Prediction:

Will we see the good, the bad and the ugly? Could be Johnson’s Tombstone, but I do expect that with the Sky cameras present we will get the 3 points.

Should we lose, Johnson’s post match meeting with Ashton and Lansdown could leave him with a Rawhide!

Cmon you reds!

good post but for a few dollars more you could have had head coach Little Lee Van Cleef

17 hours ago, marcofisher said:

A great read, cheers @Davefevs!

I would like to see something like this:

Maenpaa

Kalas      Williams/Benkovic    Baker/Benkovic

Hunt              Smith                    Nagy                         Dasilva

Paterson/Palmer

Wells                  Afobe

I'm going with:

Doesn't 

Matter   Since      The      Squad's

Rammed  With   Clueless   Spinless

Choking   Bedwetters        

20 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Shoot out at High Noon!

Lee Johnson versus Garry Monk (a Giant in comparison).  Lansdown versus Chansiri, there’s a contrast in ownership models!  Ultimately this match will be played out in front of an empty Ashton Gate, albeit fans will be represented by cardboard cutouts.  Got the feel of a cheap Spaghetti Western studio set!

City could find themselves in 12th place and 5 points off 6th place overnight, strong possibility it will be at least 4 points off the playoffs, and pressure dumped on us after last week’s awful performance first game back.

Ashton Gate certainly not the Wild Wild West for visiting teams this season....and as the home side we’ve not been City Slickers either!

Garry Monk

An interesting case, got his admirers, but also his detractors.  Did a reasonable job at Swansea in the Prem,  before taking over Leeds, who at the time were a basket case.  Had them well in the playoff picture before a late slump saw them miss out in 7th.  Went to Boro, who he promised promotion straight back up.  A difficult spell there resulted in him leaving at Xmas.  His best times came at Birmingham, who were struggling after a heavy spending spree, and he got his 442 working really well, centred around a very tidy front pairing of bounty hunters in Jutkiewicz and Adams.  A 9 point deduction for FFP breach cost them any realistic hope of playoffs and over the summer he left.  Onto Sheffield Wednesday where he’s had good and bad runs, but also rumours of dressing room discontent.  His stock is probably at its lowest point.  This might be the last decent job he gets without some success.

How Will They Line-up?

Despite Monk’s reliance on 442 at other clubs, he’s recently alternating between this and a 532.  This has probably been down to personnel as they seek to end a miserable run of 1 win in 11.  When they beat us on Sky just before Xmas they went third!  Their 532 relies on wingers in the wingback positions rather than full-backs, and perhaps the extra man in the centre allows Bannan to Marshall the midfield and play without restrictions.

image.jpeg.00348dd12803f2cd61e6c418183537ba.jpeg
Last week v Forest they rained in 40 crosses, inc several from set pieces.

These weren’t diags from deep, but a result of possession high up the pitch.

image.thumb.jpeg.a609afcf2251fbf7937c5bde42cda317.jpeg

The Players

GK: Joe Wildsmith (and Wesson) (24) - came through the ranks at Wednesday but selected for the first time last week v Forest.

RCB: Liam Palmer (28) - Scottish international who came through youth ranks.  Closing in on 250 games for Wednesday but only one goal.  Likes a tackle, and full of energy down the right side usually, but will be more constrained in the RCB position in a three man defence.

CB: Dominic Iorfa (25) - converted right back and former England u21 international.  Can’t believe how much he has filled out from the skinny RB at Wolves (via loans at Shrewsbury and Ipswich), and I’ve been really impressed each time I’ve seen him this season.  Calm and composed.

LCB: Julian Börner (29) - German born defender who had a fairly undistinguished career back home. Signed on a free in the summer, he has added physicality to the Owls in both boxes.

RWB: Jacob Murphy (25) - on loan from Newcastle and a very tidy wideman with a goal in him.  Not sure how suited to RWB he is though.

LWB: Kadeem Harris (27) - signed on a free from Cardiff in the summer, is a bit of an unsung hero with his hard work and direct running down the left, cutting in onto his right foot

CM: Massimo Luongo (27) - Aussie international signed for £1m from QPR in the summer.  Started at Tottenham before appearing on our radar during his time at Swindon.  Taken over in CM in preference to Sam Hutchinson since just before Xmas.  Hardworking but good technically.

CM: Barry Bannan (30) - experienced Scottish DM with one of the best left pegs in the Champ.  Much wanted at City by Otib, I’ve always been a bit cooler on him, because I think you need the right players around him.  Started at Villa, followed by loans at Derby, Blackpool and Leeds before a move to Palace before finding home at Hillsborough in May 2015.

CM: Kieran Lee (32) - now a veteran in this Wednesday side after signing from Oldham in 2012.  Likes a goal v City too.

ST: Jordan Rhodes (29) - another Scot, whose career has been all about goals. Started at Ipswich, but Huddersfield, then Blackburn was where his glut of goals saw a £10m move to Boro.  Didn’t work out there, so a £10m to Wednesday ensued.  Loaned to Norwich last season, but back in the fold, and back with a bang last week with a hat-trick.  Always felt this gunslinger needed a big-man to help him.  He’s got one here....

ST: Connor Wickham (27) - on loan from Crystal Palace.  Big, mobile striker, with a good touch.  If we don’t get a handle on him physically, him and Rhodes could cause havoc.  My man to watch!

Other Players of note (not mentioned above):

Adam Reach (26) - left footed right sided player who joined Wednesday for over £5m on deadline day in 16/17 season.  Scorer of long rangers, so need to be mindful around the box.  Formerly at Boro, with loans at Bradford and Preston.

ST: Steven Fletcher (32) - former Scottish international who is having a fine season, 12 goals so far.  Excellent in the air and a nice left foot. Came south from Hibs to Burnley for £4.5m, Wolves £6.5m and Sunderland £13.5m, before arriving on a free in summer 2016. 

Tom Lees (CB), Fernando Forestieri (ST), Anti Nuhiu (ST), Moses Odubajo (RB)

How Do We Set-up?

Monk’s decision to switch to a 532 might be a blessing for Johnson.

Having had 100 days to think about shape and system, and players to fill it, he ultimately got it hugely wrong last weekend.  There will be many of us who want him to pick a system and stick with it, but the temptation to match up the opposition will be great, and it will give Johnson the chance to move to a 532/5212 without much criticism, depending on who he selects.  If he sticks with 4411 but changes several personnel, questions will be legitimately asked as to why they weren’t given their chance last week.  Famara Diedhiou did not work as the Lone Ranger last week.  Johnson is looking a bit desperado and this game could be his “last chance saloon”.

I think there could be as many as a Magnificent Seven changes from last week:

1. Maenpaa for Bentley
  2. Hunt for Pereira (injured)
  3. Dasilva for Rowe
  4. Williams in
  5. Weimann or Afobe in
  6. Outlaw Nahki Wells in
  7. Nagy in

Outgoing: Eliasson, O’Dowda, Massengo and Diedhiou

Should Benkovic replace Baker that will be a Hateful Eight of players no longer in the “trust group”.  The pink blades group may have just died with their boots on! They certainly fell over a lot.

How do we win? Key Battles

Some interesting duels across the pitch, will definitely be interesting to see who wins the gunflight out wide, Dasilva v Murphy, Hunt v Harris (a man called horse).  Territory / position might seem an obvious indicator, but Hunt and Da(hiho)silva can let Harris and Murphy come on to them and our forwards exploit the gaps in behind them, where Borner isn’t the most mobile.

Kalas v Wickham - TK was poor last week, but we do know he can take a game or two to get up to speed.  He’s gonna need to show True Grit against Wickham who likes to get it into feet / chest and roll his man 

The Outlaw Nahki Wells must start, and he can gives the Three Amigos Borner, Palmer and Iorfa a difficult afternoon with his movement.  That could be both barrels if Weimann or Afobe partner him.

Our midfield need to stop coming so deep to pick up the ball if we play a back 3, Korey Alias Smith and Nagy (or Billy the Kid Massengo) need to create better passing angles to draw Luongo and Lees out of position.

We must keep the distances back to front shorter than last week.  To be as stretched out as last week is Unforgiven.

Prediction:

Will we see the good, the bad and the ugly? Could be Johnson’s Tombstone, but I do expect that with the Sky cameras present we will get the 3 points.

Should we lose, Johnson’s post match meeting with Ashton and Lansdown could leave him with a Rawhide!

Cmon you reds!

A great read DF and insight in to days  match. I hope LJ takes on some of your valuable suggestions. 

On the result let’s hope with the cameras today it will bring the 3 points to us.

16 minutes ago, City oz said:

A great read DF and insight in to days  match. I hope LJ takes on some of your valuable suggestions. 

On the result let’s hope with the cameras today it will bring the 3 points to us.

It has changed in more recent seasons with us getting lots of sky matches, but there was a time going back a few years whenever we were on the box we would win. Here's hoping ?

1 hour ago, City oz said:

1 hour ago, sglosbcfc said:

It has changed in more recent seasons with us getting lots of sky matches, but there was a time going back a few years whenever we were on the box we would win. Here's hoping ?

absolutely,how can we forget how the teams performed in that cup run. window looming they looked like world beaters.no big moves and normality resumed.  a few could look at it this way today if they thought they were better than bristol city . any way,it would be great for a decent win and performance, boost morale big time outside the gates

13 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Hi mate, nice to have you back.

I was on Owlstalk earlier and they said Fox had travelled and were presuming something had been sorted out with him.

Yeah apparently so, I imagine he'll just be on the bench in case of an injury. He's still under contract for another 2 days so I suppose he can't refuse can he. Hope he has signed something though.

Hope LJ has been providing remedial training on the basic needs this week.  Here are the required lessons:

1.  How to shoot.

2.  How to pass to your own team mates.

3.  How to take a throw in.

4.  How to tackle.

5.  How not to waste a corner.

6.  How to pass a ball forwards.

7.  How to take a decent free kick.

8.  How to hold onto a lead for over 5 minutes.

9.  Which half of the field you need to be in to score a goal.

10.  How to reach the ball before the opposing player does even when you are 5 yards closer to it in the bloody first place.

Archived