IGNORED

Bristol City v Sheffield Wednesday - Match Day 39

Davefevs

Just now, daored said:

Who let him so free?

I couldn't tell. Dasilva seems to be the closest player but surely he'd not be marking Wickham at a Corner as that would be crazy?

Sky think Williams should have been the one picking him up but poor communication across the team I'd say. But certainly Williams wasn't near anyone and should have been looking out more. 

Just now, Lanterne Rouge said:

Williams just never moved when Wickham did, so poor.

Wickham wasn't Williams' man, it was Baker but Wednesday had 2 blockers stopping Baker from following Wickham, the 2 City players were still marking their players

1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

How does one of a front two go completely unchecked at a corner FFS. 

Fantastic start as well, completely undone by Sunday league defending. 

Because Baker was asleep and it happens way too often defending set pieces - the number of times he has to attempt deperate challenges because he's been left flat footed is beyond belief

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

I couldn't tell. Dasilva seems to be the closest player but surely he'd not be marking Wickham at a Corner as that would be crazy?

Sky think Williams should have been the one picking him up but poor communication across the team I'd say. But certainly Williams wasn't near anyone and should have been looking out more. 

When shown again , looks like baker 

1 minute ago, hodge said:

Its a great set piece tactically by Wednesday, Baker was his man, 2 blockers who other City players were marking block Baker off from following Wickham who was his man

Agree good set piece, however for me that shows up why our hopping and changing has been such a problem, had Bakes and Williams played together for a significant amount of games our any defensive partnership then Williams reads what has happened to Bakes and goes with Wickham and Bakes takes his man. 

This is where our lack of continuity comes back to haunt us. 

Just now, Spud55 said:

Agree good set piece, however for me that shows up why our hopping and changing has been such a problem, had Bakes and Williams played together for a significant amount of games our any defensive partnership then Williams reads what has happened to Bakes and goes with Wickham and Bakes takes his man. 

This is where our lack of continuity comes back to haunt us. 

Its a split second thing, by the time anyone can realise whats happened Wickham has the room he needs

If anyone looks into it who doesn't know, blockers at set pieces is a really interesting subject, England used them well at the last world cup

Archived