IGNORED

Bristol City v Sheffield Wednesday - Match Day 39

Davefevs

Just now, ChippenhamRed said:

If we finish mid table when the stated objective was a play off finish, I’d say that was an unacceptable degree of failure.

I don’t think LJ will be here if we don’t make top 6, mainly because the performances have been so poor (we are going backwards). Watching Ashton before the match I don’t think he’ll tolerate it and I think Lansdown will listen to Ashton. 

1 minute ago, Br1stolCityBoy said:

Ideal time to bring in a new manager for next season. It won’t happen though!

I agree on both counts. We have a relatively meaningless run of games. We're highly unlikely to vault 5 clubs to reach the play-offs. Equally, i don't think we're quite bad enough to go down and we have enough points banked to keep us safe.

Unusually, the close season will be minute this year and a new manager won't have much time for a pre-season to assess the players.

Mr Lansdown, start looking this afternoon for a new guy. He can see what we have in the club; where the problems are; where players fit best; where strengthening is required; in the remaining 7 games.

I don't expect Lansdown to do this. But it would be the wise decision. 

Say thanks for everything Lee but we need a new man to push us on, and give that guy some real games to look over the team in order to set up for next season. 

Just now, Red Exile said:

other than Lee Johnson who wouldn't have thought Palmer a better option to turn a game around! I doubt that even Zak Viner would have brought himself on!

Sad to say but Vyner brings more to the team than Palmer who does a couple stepovers and loses the ball countless times a game.

Yes he has had moments in a handful of games, but for 4 million pounds he should be forcing Johnson to play him with his quality.

If you're not getting in ahead of players like Weimann, O'Dowda, Nagy or Massengo who just run around like headless chickens there must be something going on.

Just now, Red-Robbo said:

I agree on both counts. We have a relatively meaningless run of games. We're highly unlikely to vault 5 clubs to reach the play-offs. Equally, i don't think we're quite bad enough to go down and we have enough points banked to keep us safe.

Unusually, the close season will be minute this year and a new manager won't have much time for a pre-season to assess the players.

Mr Lansdown, start looking this afternoon for a new guy. He can see what we have in the club; where the problems are; where players fit best; where strengthening is required; in the remaining 7 games.

I don't expect Lansdown to do this. But it would be the wise decision. 

Say thanks for everything Lee but we need a new man to push us on, and give that guy some real games to look over the team in order to set up for next season. 

Far too sensible RR. Heart says SL May well do it this time but head says he won’t. 

5 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Very well said.

Anyone with half a brain can appreciate that he saved us from relegation in his first season, and has since steadily turned us from relegation candidates to play off contenders. That’s a respectable achievement. It’s time for a change, but all the “clown” type commenters need to grow up.

Good to see so many accepting that it's time for change. But some humility from the LJ glee club would be welcomed. Been obvious to many of us that he's been our of his depth for 18 months, if not two years. And we've taken abuse for it.

2 minutes ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

Sad to say but Vyner brings more to the team than Palmer who does a couple stepovers and loses the ball countless times a game.

Yes he has had moments in a handful of games, but for 4 million pounds he should be forcing Johnson to play him with his quality.

If you're not getting in ahead of players like Weimann, O'Dowda, Nagy or Massengo who just run around like headless chickens there must be something going on.

there certainly must be something going on if the creative option to unlock a defence is to bring on a defender who's not played for the club for a couple of years...as opposed to a proven promotion winning creative attacking player you signed for a tidy sum less than a year ago....

2 hours ago, Selred said:

Look at the number of players used this season. We are one of the highest. 

Changing 7 players is ridiculous. How can you get consistency? How can you form a relationship over a period of games? 

We've used 31 players which is the 6th highest in the division; 'one of the highest' is a bit of a reach. The average number of players used per club this season is 28.79.

If you then look at the players this includes for us Marlon Pack (1 app - 90 minutes), Liam Walsh (1 app - 90 minutes) & Matty Taylor (1 app - 10 minutes), we're actually about average for 'number of players used this season' and none of the aforementioned players would have an effect on 'consistency' especially considering they would've left within the first month of the season. Even the likes of Szmodics (4 apps - 179 minutes), Rodri (6 apps - 151 minutes) Semenyo & Henriksen who are all included have had little game time to have made an effect on consistency.   

Changing 7 players would be ridiculous if there were no logical reasons for the changes however, there are reasons. A very poor performance and with players returning from injuries/fitness, changes were the right move to be made.

10 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

Like I've just said, he's taken as far as he can. But to call him a shite manager and a clown is factually incorrect and frankly childish and pathetic, especially if it's coming from an adult.

Can we not just say he's not good enough to take us that extra percent without the abuse? 

Well said Badger. The abuse is unnecessary, so is the petulance. None of us on here get to decide whether a manager stays or goes; it's fair enough to have a view, but to keep shouting the same thing, louder and louder, and with more and more abuse thrown in, just comes across like a child not getting its own way. And I'm pretty sure that's what we've got to look forward to the rest of today on here.

2 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Good to see so many accepting that it's time for change. But some humility from the LJ glee club would be welcomed. Been obvious to many of us that he's been our of his depth for 18 months, if not two years. And we've taken abuse for it.

I don’t think it’s been obvious at all - we took last season to the final day and looked to have recruited well with Afobe etc. That was improvement on the previous year. 

This season clearly its gone wrong and now is time to move on.

11 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

Like I've just said, he's taken as far as he can. But to call him a shite manager and a clown is factually incorrect and frankly childish and pathetic, especially if it's coming from an adult.

Can we not just say he's not good enough to take us that extra percent without the abuse? 

I suppose what it comes down to is that he's played a quality central striker as a winger today, he's started O'Dowda over our most creative and explosive winger and he's refused to even bring on Palmer despite the fact that he and Afobe link up so well. I'm not sure what you'd call that but I'd say it qualifies as shit management. 
To call him a clown may be a bit far but the fans have every right to be frustrated when he's making stupid decisions like these and then continues to spout the same old shit. He needs to stop blaming the players, it's just killing their desire to play for him and with him constantly changing systems they have to put up with being played out of position as well as having to change the way they play week in week out. I honestly do not have any blame for the majority of the players right now, it's time to LJ to take some responsibility seeing as he's very quick to accept the credit when things go his way.

1 minute ago, italian dave said:

Well said Badger. The abuse is unnecessary, so is the petulance. None of us on here get to decide whether a manager stays or goes; it's fair enough to have a view, but to keep shouting the same thing, louder and louder, and with more and more abuse thrown in, just comes across like a child not getting its own way. And I'm pretty sure that's what we've got to look forward to the rest of today on here.

It's a competition to see who can be most outraged, which means the posts get ever more ridiculous.

1 minute ago, Dingbat said:

The body language of all of them, for some time now, hasn’t been great. No one looks like they are enjoying their football. 

It's lucky that there weren't another 20,000 or so in the ground whose body language would have indicated that they were not enjoying their football.

2 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

I suspect there are fans who have been anti LJ from the off and certainly since his first dire run of defeats and perhaps one or two have a "told you so" feeling at the moment.. However, in the meantime he has demonstrated his potential and there were real improvements in the team and performances, although in the last couple of seasons improving league positions have been achieved despite performances rather than because of them.

My concern, ably demonstrated today, is his ability to keep choosing formations and personnel contrary to any logic, and certainly none that fans can see. Not only that, but his propensity to constantly change formations and players from game to game, with little or no continuity is continually baffling. If these changes were achieving good results then I would happily bow to his greater knowledge and ability as a coach, but particularly at Ashton Gate, they only seem to herald the latest disappointing performance and result.

In his early days I thought he was a forward thinking young coach, and as we improved, and in particular around the time of the league cup run, could see a real possibility that he might crack promotion with us and/or move on the bigger and better things. Unfortunately, over the last 2 seasons, I think he's increasingly flattered to deceive, with league positions masking underlying weaknesses. His future now seems to be behind him!

Since the turn of the year in particular, it has been difficult to work out what he's been trying to achieve, with some real left field selections getting the performances and results they deserved. I get the distinct feeling he's fishing for a formation and team selection that will work, rather than planning to make best use of players by playing to their strengths. Palmer must be wondering why he committed his and his family's future to Bristol and Bristol City, because it seems clear to me that his coach doesn't see him having any future here, other than as a bench warmer.

There have been a number of occasions in the past when fans have commented on him "losing the dressing room", only for us then to go on a decent run, with players working their socks off, contrary to speculation about their attitude towards the coach.  I get the feeling that there a few players not too happy with things at the moment and if they feel that the coach has no new ideas, or is unable to change things for the better then is the writing on the wall for LJ? I don't think this is about players trying to get LJ the sack, but simply lacking leadership, motivation and inspiration.

2 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

I don’t think it’s been obvious at all - we took last season to the final day and looked to have recruited well with Afobe etc. That was improvement on the previous year. 

This season clearly its gone wrong and now is time to move on.

Well, I disagree. And have said so for a long time. I think it's been obvious for a very long time. He doesn't know what he is doing, watching games, not managing them. Zero track record. A 'project' of the owner. Given endless extra clubs for his bag, limited understanding of how to use them...wasted years.

5 minutes ago, Spike said:

I suppose what it comes down to is that he's played a quality central striker as a winger today, he's started O'Dowda over our most creative and explosive winger and he's refused to even bring on Palmer despite the fact that he and Afobe link up so well. I'm not sure what you'd call that but I'd say it qualifies as shit management. 
To call him a clown may be a bit far but the fans have every right to be frustrated when he's making stupid decisions like these and then continues to spout the same old shit. He needs to stop blaming the players, it's just killing their desire to play for him and with him constantly changing systems they have to put up with being played out of position as well as having to change the way they play week in week out. I honestly do not have any blame for the majority of the players right now, it's time to LJ to take some responsibility seeing as he's very quick to accept the credit when things go his way.

Agreed. He also keeps playing an 18 year old lad with no experience at this level. I don't want to crticise the player but i feel johnson needs to play more championship ready players for now.

11 minutes ago, WRERE said:

We've used 31 players which is the 6th highest in the division; 'one of the highest' is a bit of a reach. The average number of players used per club this season is 28.79.

If you then look at the players this includes for us Marlon Pack (1 app - 90 minutes), Liam Walsh (1 app - 90 minutes) & Matty Taylor (1 app - 10 minutes), we're actually about average for 'number of players used this season' and none of the aforementioned players would have an effect on 'consistency' especially considering they would've left within the first month of the season. Even the likes of Szmodics (4 apps - 179 minutes), Rodri (6 apps - 151 minutes) Semenyo & Henriksen who are all included have had little game time to have made an effect on consistency.   

Changing 7 players would be ridiculous if there were no logical reasons for the changes however, there are reasons. A very poor performance and with players returning from injuries/fitness, changes were the right move to be made.

20 different players in two games. He doesn't know his best team or formation. He's signed 50+ players.

23 minutes ago, Loderingo said:

Abysmal.  We'll be lucky to finish 16th at this rate.  And Wednesday were nothing special - just a solid team with everyone playing in their correct positions.

Let's be fair to Johnson  - we have had some good times as well as bad like the Man Utd win but you have to say we should be doing much better with the calibre of players Johnson has at this disposal.

He's had a good run but after 4 years it has to be time for a change.  I would put McAllister in temporary charge and then get a new manager for next season.

That's the thing that gets me.  Simple competence is enough to beat us, no more than that required.

1 minute ago, YGBjammy said:

Had great times under Lee, but I think it's time for someone else more experienced at this level or higher to come in now and actually help these players fulfil their potential. 

It looked easy for Wednesday today honestly.

Please don’t take this as argumentative as it’s not meant to be, but other than beating Man U in a cup QF what are these great times that people refer to?  

8 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Well, I disagree. And have said so for a long time. I think it's been obvious for a very long time. He doesn't know what he is doing, watching games, not managing them. Zero track record. A 'project' of the owner. Given endless extra clubs for his bag, limited understanding of how to use them...wasted years.

The facts don’t point to this though. Year on year improvement in league position until this year. 

Archived