IGNORED

Bristol City v Sheffield Wednesday - Match Day 39

Davefevs

Our players dont know what to do when they have the ball. We are out in possesion and have no movement. Was not even angry when I Watched the game, more sad. No defence, no midfield, no wingers, no attacking football. If Bakers header had went in it maybe had been different. No confidence. The starting eleven showed to be wrong. I thought we had to go for it, we have creative players, Eliasson, Palmer. No offcause should COD start. Eliasson in for Wonderboy, ofcause should COD have been subbed. For me is COD a joke. Wonder what, Niclas, Palmer, Nagy and the rest of the team thinks of playing COD all the time. Eliasson will move on and play for a manager that sees his strenghts. Always backed up LJ but when he plays the wrong starting eleven most of the times I think we had to bring in a new gaffer. COYR!!!

8 minutes ago, lenred said:

Please don’t take this as argumentative as it’s not meant to be, but other than beating Man U in a cup QF what are these great times that people refer to?  

Got to be honest, that was the main one I can think of! Perhaps you have a point here.

Just now, YGBjammy said:

Got to be honest, that was the main one I can think of! Perhaps you have a point here.

Cheers for taking it in the spirit intended as I wasn’t being snide ?!  Just I hear it a lot and wonder what people are getting at as I really don’t remember any ‘good times’ (other than that game) at all. 

2 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

The facts don’t point to this though. Year on year improvement in league position until this year. 

I'm afraid I simply don't get this 'year on year improvement' thing as a defence of him. 

I'm a very experienced manager of creative people. Worked in the creative industries all my life. I see Lee Johnson as man given better and better creative resources. Upgrade after upgrade. The team do better because they are better players, not because he is coaching or managing them better. His reactions, in game and after, suggest that he is just watching, claiming credit or blaming his staff. It's all a bit pathetic. He's out of his depth. I feel sorry for him in a way.

That's a controversial opinion, I accept. But that's what I see. Let's bring in a proven football manager and judge them as we would any other, not some 'project' of the owner who has to be handled with kid gloves.

1 minute ago, Northern Red said:

Like we were this year, and the year before that, and the year before that?

I think the current downturn is showing very worrying signs. The noticeable lack of attempts we have on goal tell a story and in the longer term will see us continue to struggle.

The players have either stopped listening or don’t understand what they are being told and if something significant doesn’t change we could easily find ourselves where Middlesbrough are (they finished a place above us last season) next season.

I just think the guy has ran out of ideas or has over complicated ideas to try and get us out of the fourth (?) major slump in his time here.

14 minutes ago, Selred said:

20 different players in two games. He doesn't know his best team or formation. He's signed 50+ players.

You made this exact same point already which I responded to. 

Would you keep the team the exact team same despite a very poor individual and team performance? 

1 minute ago, WRERE said:

You made this exact same point already which I responded to. 

Would you keep the team the exact team same despite a very poor individual and team performance? 

Who's fault is it? Surely if 21 players are poor it's due to the tactics, not due to the players?

Just now, billywedlock said:

I have never been a great fan of LJ but he does not deserve insults. Whilst his man management, tactical ability and lack of clarity are seriously lacking, he undoubtedly works very hard, has improved a number of players and has tried his very best to achieve success. It is well past the time he should have moved on, but no need for vitriol. he is just not up to the job. 

absolutely - a tragic case

2 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

I'm afraid I simply don't get this 'year on year improvement' thing as a defence of him. 

I'm a very experienced manager of creative people. Worked in the creative industries all my life. I see Lee Johnson as man given better and better creative resources. Upgrade after upgrade. The team do better because they are better players, not because he is coaching or managing them better. His reactions, in game and after, suggest that he is just watching, claiming credit or blaming his staff. It's all a bit pathetic. He's out of his depth. I feel sorry for him in a way.

That's a controversial opinion, I accept. But that's what I see. Let's bring in a proven football manager and judge them as we would any other, not some 'project' of the owner who has to be handled with kid gloves.

I wouldn't say it is a controversial opinion. - just a different one you have. You aren't alone in it either.

I think you have to factor in having to sell players so those resources are more changed than better. And I do think he has improved players but obviously there will be other influences too. If he was out of his depth we would have been relegated or finished lower.

The only thing we really have to point to in terms of facts is that he came in when Cotteril left us in a mess at the bottom of league one. He comfortably kept us up. He then improved us year on year. He is the manager so should take the credit for that just as he should now take the blame for this slump.

One thing I would say that really annoys me about his tenure is the streaks. We can win 4 in a row then just as easily lose 4 in a row. If he goes on to be a better manager at a higher level he will need to improve that.

Just now, Alex_BCFC said:

I wouldn't say it is a controversial opinion. - just a different one you have. You aren't alone in it either.

I think you have to factor in having to sell players so those resources are more changed than better. And I do think he has improved players but obviously there will be other influences too. If he was out of his depth we would have been relegated or finished lower.

The only thing we really have to point to in terms of facts is that he came in when Cotteril left us in a mess at the bottom of league one. He comfortably kept us up. He then improved us year on year. He is the manager so should take the credit for that just as he should now take the blame for this slump.

One thing I would say that really annoys me about his tenure is the streaks. We can win 4 in a row then just as easily lose 4 in a row. If he goes on to be a better manager at a higher level he will need to improve that.

I wonder whether he'll ever manage again at the same level, let alone higher? He talks a good game but has been a bit found out...I wonder whether he'll be another Lansdown appointment, Tinion, Millen, the peak of whose managerial career was Bristol City. Time will tell. 

1 minute ago, Red Exile said:

I wonder whether he'll ever manage again at the same level, let alone higher? He talks a good game but has been a bit found out...I wonder whether he'll be another Lansdown appointment, Tinion, Millen, the peak of whose managerial career was Bristol City. Time will tell. 

Tinnion and Miller left club in a worse position than when they started I think whereas this isn’t the case. He’s well thought of in football generally - outside of City fans anyway - whether we think that’s right or not. 

Just now, redsquirrel said:

two weeks ago i was hopeful and believed we could beat blackburn,weds,boro and stoke,maybe nick a point or 2 against the rest and hope it was enough for 6th. now i cant see where the next point might come from

Hasn’t this been said a million times under LJ and then we win 4 games in a row?

16 minutes ago, Garland-sweden said:

Our players dont know what to do when they have the ball. We are out in possesion and have no movement. Was not even angry when I Watched the game, more sad. No defence, no midfield, no wingers, no attacking football. If Bakers header had went in it maybe had been different. No confidence. The starting eleven showed to be wrong. I thought we had to go for it, we have creative players, Eliasson, Palmer. No offcause should COD start. Eliasson in for Wonderboy, ofcause should COD have been subbed. For me is COD a joke. Wonder what, Niclas, Palmer, Nagy and the rest of the team thinks of playing COD all the time. Eliasson will move on and play for a manager that sees his strenghts. Always backed up LJ but when he plays the wrong starting eleven most of the times I think we had to bring in a new gaffer. COYR!!!

If Elisasson moves on and ever plays against us, we will see what we could have had!

I'm sure we should all be able to name our 'starting 11' (subject to injuries), but under LJ I have no idea what it is. There should be a formation we play, with the same 11 starting, regulars on the bench, with subs that are good to come on to cover injuries, or if we need to change things up (not to bring on a defender in the last few minutes of a game we are losing).

Most games we should have confidence to play our way and not change completely depending on the opponents. Sure, there will be occasions we change slightly if there is a particular star opponent we need to man-mark out of the game, or need some extra height etc, but that wouldn't be very often.

LJ's signed enough players now, but still doesn't have a coherent plan.

We are now good enough (stable ownership, financially sound, good training facilities, great stadium, great fanbase, in an increasingly popular city) to attract a manager capable of taking us to the next stage. ?

17 minutes ago, lenred said:

Cheers for taking it in the spirit intended as I wasn’t being snide ?!  Just I hear it a lot and wonder what people are getting at as I really don’t remember any ‘good times’ (other than that game) at all. 

Winning at Sheff United, twice (one more than Cotts). Doing the double over Sheff Utd.

Doing the double over Derby.

Thrashing Crystal Palace in the cup.

Being 1:0 up at Man City.

The Sept to Christmas 2017 four months or so.

Finishing 8th in this division, not to be sniffed at.

Beating Leeds at home, drawing at Newcastle.

Beating Wolves at home, beating Cardiff away.

Bobby Reid's golden season; Webster; Brownhill.

Signing Matty Taylor.

20 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Like this.

19 minutes ago, Selred said:

Who's fault is it? Surely if 21 players are poor it's due to the tactics, not due to the players?

So you've decided not to answer my question because we both know what your answer would be and that it goes against everything you're saying. Rather than avoiding questions like you, I'll answer your question.

The responsibility is split between management and players. Was LJ the reason Bentley was at fault for goals at Blackburn? Obviously not, it's Bentley's fault hence why he was dropped. Is LJ tactics the reason why some players don't perform, yes.

Do players have no responsibility?  

1 minute ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Winning at Sheff United, twice (one more than Cotts). Doing the double over Sheff Utd.

Doing the double over Derby.

Thrashing Crystal Palace in the cup.

Being 1:0 up at Man City.

The Sept to Christmas 2017 four months or so.

Finishing 8th in this division, not to be sniffed at.

Beating Leeds at home, drawing at Newcastle.

Beating Wolves at home, beating Cardiff away.

Bobby Reid's golden season; Webster; Brownhill.

Signing Matty Taylor.

Most of that in a relatively short period of time and he has been dining out on it for years since.

Archived