IGNORED

Bristol City v Sheffield Wednesday - Match Day 39

Davefevs

Just now, redsquirrel said:

seems so long ago tho,i cant remember it

Well probably not that long ago (excluding the lockdown period) we were on a 4/5 game winning run without conceding.

I think he should go but  it is very conceivable we win 3 in a row to give hope and then lose the next 3 to crash and burn.

1 minute ago, WRERE said:

So you've decided not to answer my question because we both know what your answer would be and that it goes against everything you're saying. Rather than avoiding questions like you, I'll answer your question.

The responsibility is split between management and players. Was LJ the reason Bentley was at fault for goals at Blackburn? Obviously not, it's Bentley's fault hence why he was dropped. Is LJ tactics the reason why some players don't perform, yes. 

Its Johnson's fault for picking players out of position and out of form.

You wouldn't or shouldn't drop a stellar performer after one mare of a game.

Johnson's fault is that he never ever takes any responsibility.

I place it pretty much all at his door at present.

25 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

I'm afraid I simply don't get this 'year on year improvement' thing as a defence of him. 

I'm a very experienced manager of creative people. Worked in the creative industries all my life. I see Lee Johnson as man given better and better creative resources. Upgrade after upgrade. The team do better because they are better players, not because he is coaching or managing them better. His reactions, in game and after, suggest that he is just watching, claiming credit or blaming his staff. It's all a bit pathetic. He's out of his depth. I feel sorry for him in a way.

That's a controversial opinion, I accept. But that's what I see. Let's bring in a proven football manager and judge them as we would any other, not some 'project' of the owner who has to be handled with kid gloves.

Exactly this

1 minute ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Well probably not that long ago (excluding the lockdown period) we were on a 4/5 game winning run without conceding.

I think he should go but  it is very conceivable we win 3 in a row to give hope and then lose the next 3 to crash and burn.

you are right,i remember us being at or near the top of current form table 

3 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Winning at Sheff United, twice (one more than Cotts). Doing the double over Sheff Utd.

Doing the double over Derby.

Thrashing Crystal Palace in the cup.

Being 1:0 up at Man City.

The Sept to Christmas 2017 four months or so.

Finishing 8th in this division, not to be sniffed at.

Beating Leeds at home, drawing at Newcastle.

Beating Wolves at home, beating Cardiff away.

Bobby Reid's golden season; Webster; Brownhill.

Signing Matty Taylor.

As someone has already mentioned most of that came within a short space of time. No doubting we hit that purple patch but we couldn’t capitalise.  Nothing of note since then for me - no doubting signing Webster and Taylor was great but if you throw enough muck etc....and I wouldn’t class signings as ‘great times’ anyway. For me it’s the feeling and the style of football. Being desperate for that next game to come around, praying you’ll get hold of an away ticket because you know they will sell out quickly. Haven’t had that for a good while now. 

4 minutes ago, WRERE said:

So you've decided not to answer my question because we both know what your answer would be and that it goes against everything you're saying. Rather than avoiding questions like you, I'll answer your question.

The responsibility is split between management and players. Was LJ the reason Bentley was at fault for goals at Blackburn? Obviously not, it's Bentley's fault hence why he was dropped. Is LJ tactics the reason why some players don't perform, yes.

Do players have no responsibility?  

5 minutes ago, WRERE said:

Do players have no responsibility?  

Why did COD not get dropped then? 

2 minutes ago, nickolas said:

LJ says the performance was ‘much improved’. ? my god his standards must be low!

Dreadfull. Get out!

Let's be honest anything would have been an improvement on the Blackburn game, so he was probably right there.  Unfortunately still not good enough, due to the wrong midfield selection and then playing Afobe to far left.

12 minutes ago, Cider_boy said:

If Elisasson moves on and ever plays against us, we will see what we could have had!

I'm sure we should all be able to name our 'starting 11' (subject to injuries), but under LJ I have no idea what it is. There should be a formation we play, with the same 11 starting, regulars on the bench, with subs that are good to come on to cover injuries, or if we need to change things up (not to bring on a defender in the last few minutes of a game we are losing).

Most games we should have confidence to play our way and not change completely depending on the opponents. Sure, there will be occasions we change slightly if there is a particular star opponent we need to man-mark out of the game, or need some extra height etc, but that wouldn't be very often.

LJ's signed enough players now, but still doesn't have a coherent plan.

We are now good enough (stable ownership, financially sound, good training facilities, great stadium, great fanbase, in an increasingly popular city) to attract a manager capable of taking us to the next stage. ?

Amen to that.

11 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Tinnion and Miller left club in a worse position than when they started I think whereas this isn’t the case. He’s well thought of in football generally - outside of City fans anyway - whether we think that’s right or not. 

Agreed on Tinnion and Millen. I was thinking of them as examples of managerial appointments that left me with my head in my hands when they were announced, and that reflect badly on our owner's talent spotting record...which doesn't bode well tbh!

For what it's worth, and I'm not a very ITK person, I have only heard three things about LJ from people in the football world, all of which back things folk on here have said over the years...that as a player some of his colleagues believed he was only in the team because his Dad was the manager, I overheard two his team mates at the time discussing this...that as a manager he has a bit of a reputation for throwing his players under the bus when things go badly...and that he can be wound up by being likened to David Brent.

15 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

Its Johnson's fault for picking players out of position and out of form.

You wouldn't or shouldn't drop a stellar performer after one mare of a game.

Johnson's fault is that he never ever takes any responsibility.

I place it pretty much all at his door at present.

Indeed.

If I'm an opposition manager I'm loving the way LJ sends us out. Not difficult to counteract. 

3 in CM, can often beat 2. Palmer, Paterson aren't ideal in a CM 3.

2 vs 2 in wider areas, can negate crossing. A less method of scoring anyway, in modern times.

Williams at CB. Target him with your striker and a runner from CM. May even get a bonus penalty or red card! Baker can have the ball, he's not technically great.

Bottom line is we don't create enough, we lack control and possession and we lack defensive stability because of how many chances we allow.

I assign a fair chunk of the blame to LJ for this! Is quite a feat to get all 3 in the same side...

24 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Tinnion and Miller left club in a worse position than when they started I think whereas this isn’t the case. He’s well thought of in football generally - outside of City fans anyway - whether we think that’s right or not. 

This is said a lot. Do we have a list, and anything concrete to back it up? 

20 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Agreed on Tinnion and Millen. I was thinking of them as examples of managerial appointments that left me with my head in my hands when they were announced, and that reflect badly on our owner's talent spotting record...which doesn't bode well tbh!

For what it's worth, and I'm not a very ITK person, I have only heard three things about LJ from people in the football world, all of which back things folk on here have said over the years...that as a player some of his colleagues believed he was only in the team because his Dad was the manager, I overheard two his team mates at the time discussing this...that as a manager he has a bit of a reputation for throwing his players under the bus when things go badly...and that he can be wound up by being likened to David Brent.

Not saying it isn't true but is there actually evidence that  informed people in the game eg: not lazy tv pundits really have a high opinion of Johnson ? He is a spin doctor for sure but he is never positively  linked with a bigger job than City so far as i'm aware.

34 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

GIF by joanramoneLee gives his aftermatch interview 

1 hour ago, WRERE said:

You made this exact same point already which I responded to. 

Would you keep the team the exact team same despite a very poor individual and team performance? 

Do you know what?

• I wouldn’t get to game 38 without knowing my basic “go to” system
  • i wouldn’t recruit players that can’t play that system
  • i wouldn’t recruit players that can’t play with certain other players
  • I wouldn’t chop and change my basic system on average every 3 games
  • i wouldn’t change basic system drastically so many times at half-time
  • i wouldn’t consistently pick players who fail to deliver

I would:

• drill my teams in my go to system
  • i would coach my players to play that system
  • i would improve them in that system, and if they don’t do it they don’t play
  • have consistency in my selection policy

Of course changes need to be made game to game, injuries fatigue, form, etc.

By making 7 today highlights he got it so wrong last week that he isn’t capable of resolving by fine-tuning on the training ground....and that shows no courage in his convictions.  It’s weak management.

If you keep having to make changes, you don’t understand cause and effect....you are basically guessing / hoping something works. 

1 hour ago, billywedlock said:

I have never been a great fan of LJ but he does not deserve insults. Whilst his man management, tactical ability and lack of clarity are seriously lacking, he undoubtedly works very hard, has improved a number of players and has tried his very best to achieve success. It is well past the time he should have moved on, but no need for vitriol. he is just not up to the job. 

Exactly.  Not good enough.

1 hour ago, WRERE said:

You made this exact same point already which I responded to. 

Would you keep the team the exact team same despite a very poor individual and team performance? 

Regardless of how a team play one week, you do not make 7 changes. He had 3 months to think about that Blackburn game, so obviously he felt that was the team he felt most confident in playing. Then 8 days later he drops 7 of them!. Players do not become bad players overnight, you have to show some loyalty and belief, we now have 7 players who will be pissed right off, to add to all the others who regularly get thrown under the bus. 

A manager manages, LJ has proven by just this one decision he is beyond doubt, incapable of managing. 

Yes, we were poor against Blackburn, but by doing what he has done, it’s even more clear to see that it’s not the players, it’s him. 

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Do you know what?

I would:

By making 7 today highlights he got it so wrong last week that he isn’t capable of resolving by fine-tuning on the training ground....and that shows no courage in his convictions.  It’s weak management.

If you keep having to make changes, you don’t understand cause and effect....you are basically guessing / hoping something works. 

I’ve got no likes left, but I’m 100% with you, so had to post ??

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Do you know what?

I would:

What are u up to for the next 7 games Dave?

Are we capable of playing 1 or 2 touch football, obviously players need to get nearer each other for this to happen. It's like their social distancing in the pitch.

The sight of Smith picking the ball up level with the center backs in the first 5 minutes told you all you needed to know.

2 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Difficult to say from outside the club but not convinced Holden or McAllister are automatically culpable. I'd have no problem with them being here if the next manager wanted them. 

Sorry but there’s something very wrong with our coaching setup. The number of schoolboy errors we make year after year is absolutely ridiculous. 

1 hour ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Winning at Sheff United, twice (one more than Cotts). Doing the double over Sheff Utd.

Doing the double over Derby.

Thrashing Crystal Palace in the cup.

Being 1:0 up at Man City.

The Sept to Christmas 2017 four months or so.

Finishing 8th in this division, not to be sniffed at.

Beating Leeds at home, drawing at Newcastle.

Beating Wolves at home, beating Cardiff away.

Bobby Reid's golden season; Webster; Brownhill.

Signing Matty Taylor.

And you haven't even mentions Fulham!

Archived