IGNORED

Cardiff

daored

During lockdown many thought it would between us and Preston for the last play off spot.  Looking at today's games, and if we continue in the same vein as last week, both could be well out of the reckoning.

Also looking at today's games and the table, if we do continue in the same vein then we are likely to go backwards very quickly and could then easily finish a way down the table. If that does happen then surely Sl's loyalty will be tested to the limit.

Just now, downendcity said:

During lockdown many thought it would between us and Preston for the last play off spot.  Looking at today's games, and if we continue in the same vein as last week, both could be well out of the reckoning.

Also looking at today's games and the table, if we do continue in the same vein then we are likely to go backwards very quickly and could then easily finish a way down the table. If that does happen then surely Sl's loyalty will be tested to the limit.

LJ going nowhere. 

One of the teams in the pack were going to come out flying and it looks like Cardiff are that side. Beating Leeds and Preston is impressive and it'll be interesting to see if they keep that up against some tough opponents to come.

Hopefully they'll lose every game...

Derby worry me.

Edit: City worry me most...

Starting to wonder if our season petering out to a damp squib mid-table finish might be for the greater good.

I think play offs look increasingly unlikely, and success if we were to actually get there remote at best.

If we finish 7th, Johnson will be able to claim continued progress (just), Lansdown will be able to justify sticking with him - whereas in reality we would still know we’ve been inconsistent, rarely entertaining, and still with no identifiable playing style, formation or tactical approach.

If we finish 12th, it’s tangible regression despite continued substantial investment - and a more obvious need for a fresh start. And it would directly contravene Lansdown’s stated expectation of continued upward progress.

11 minutes ago, westonred said:

A change of Manager sometimes works wonders (SL take note)  i know Warnock walked and wasn't pushed but bringing in Harris has transformed them and they now look like play off certs ..  

When he first took over Cardiff were awful and their fans were giving him terrible stick. Us fans know nothing.

2 minutes ago, Lez said:

LJ going nowhere. 

Lose to Wednesday ( and after last week anything is now possible) we will be 5 points off the last play off spot. 

It seems to me that other teams have picked up far better than us and it is not inconceivable that if we no have a bad run till the end of the season we could finish in the lower half of the table. That would be a long way off the season o season improvement that Sl has previously said was his aim. As many others have commented it is starting to feel that LJ is getting stale and running out of ideas and if SL feels the same then, if a viable alternative is available, he might be tempted to make a change.  

3 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Starting to wonder if our season petering out to a damp squib mid-table finish might be for the greater good.

I think play offs look increasingly unlikely, and success if we were to actually get there remote at best.

If we finish 7th, Johnson will be able to claim continued progress (just), Lansdown will be able to justify sticking with him - whereas in reality we would still know we’ve been inconsistent, rarely entertaining, and still with no identifiable playing style, formation or tactical approach.

If we finish 12th, it’s tangible regression despite continued substantial investment - and a more obvious need for a fresh start. And it would directly contravene Lansdown’s stated expectation of continued upward progress.

Whilst I completely understand your viewpoint, I'd say 2 things:

1. If we finish 7th, it is proof that LJ can keep improving us, so you'd be mad not to want him to continue his season on season gains.

2. Surely fan morality dictates that supporters can't hope for losses, even if it were for a perceived greater good?

Just now, downendcity said:

Lose to Wednesday ( and after last week anything is now possible) we will be 5 points off the last play off spot. 

It seems to me that other teams have picked up far better than us and it is not inconceivable that if we no have a bad run till the end of the season we could finish in the lower half of the table. That would be a long way off the season o season improvement that Sl has previously said was his aim. As many others have commented it is starting to feel that LJ is getting stale and running out of ideas and if SL feels the same then, if a viable alternative is available, he might be tempted to make a change.  

Agree, lose tomorrow and that's that. The thing is, every time Lee is put in that situation he somehow squeezes out 3 wins in a row and all of a sudden he's back in favour. 

4 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

Agree, lose tomorrow and that's that. The thing is, every time Lee is put in that situation he somehow squeezes out 3 wins in a row and all of a sudden he's back in favour. 

He is very much like the cat with 9 lives.

The thing is,  he's used up 12 of them already!

7 minutes ago, mozo said:

1. If we finish 7th, it is proof that LJ can keep improving us, so you'd be mad not to want him to continue his season on season gains.

2. Surely fan morality dictates that supporters can't hope for losses, even if it were for a perceived greater good?

There's a stat going around that only 4 current EFL managers have improved teams year on year for last 3 seasons and one of them is Lee.

24 minutes ago, westonred said:

A change of Manager sometimes works wonders (SL take note)  i know Warnock walked and wasn't pushed but bringing in Harris has transformed them and they now look like play off certs ..  

I think he's proving to be a good manager, performed wonders at Millwall to get them on the verge of the play-offs with practically no money

13 minutes ago, mozo said:

I would say its another wasted season if we finish 7th. Bored of hearing now about progression etc.

14 minutes ago, mozo said:

I’ve frequently defended LJ’s record here in terms of incremental league position improvement.

But my view now is that improving our position this year by one place, given the continued substantial investment investment in the team, coupled with the sheer lack of entertainment or any sense of the manager knowing his best team or how he wants to play...would NOT represent a successful season or vindication of Johnson remaining in charge.

Far from it being “mad” to get rid of Johnson, I can’t help but conclude that we are now underachieving and that another manager - such as a Hughton or McCarthy - would be capable of getting more from this group of players, and with the same amount of money afforded to them.

Simple league position improvement does not automatically mean the season can be considered a success; it’s about fulfilling our potential - and I’m not convinced that we are.

19 minutes ago, mozo said:

I don't think finishing 7th is much of an achievement. The quality of football we are producing with probably the most talented squad we have ever had is dire, predictable, boring ,shapeless and clueless you can only blame LJ and his coaching team for this. Bringing in a new man around the time Cardiff did would have turned us into serious contenders with this squad  

12 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

There's a stat going around that only 4 current EFL managers have improved teams year on year for last 3 seasons and one of them is Lee.

The others secured promotion!

16 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I’ve frequently defended LJ’s record here in terms of incremental league position improvement.

But my view now is that improving our position this year by one place, given the continued substantial investment investment in the team, coupled with the sheer lack of entertainment or any sense of the manager knowing his best team or how he wants to play...would NOT represent a successful season or vindication of Johnson remaining in charge.

Far from it being “mad” to get rid of Johnson, I can’t help but conclude that we are now underachieving and that another manager - such as a Hughton or McCarthy - would be capable of getting more from this group of players, and with the same amount of money afforded to them.

Simple league position improvement does not automatically mean the season can be considered a success; it’s about fulfilling our potential - and I’m not convinced that we are.

Absolutely bang on Chip

These people still going on about LJ still progressing need to wake up, smell the coffee and give their head a f*****g massive wobble!

There is no way in this world that LJ has the ability to take us up and that is abundantly clear, as our football is light years behind the leading teams in this division.

So if we have to settle for playing our football at this level, let’s at least have some entertainment while we’re doing it.

I’m coming to the conclusion that our few months of great football in the cup run season wasn’t due to any great tactics by LJ, but a very lucky bonus of putting Bobby Reid up front.  I think his energy, press and all action displays inspired his team mates (something LJ has repeatedly failed to do) and when Reid went, so did the press.  Surely if if it had been LJ’s plan, he’d have tried to re-create it, but he didn’t

It’s pretty obvious LJ is a bluffer and we have a case of the emporer’s new clothes going on here.

Currently our ‘Emporer’ LJ is stood here bollock naked (thankfully not over aroused!) and his loyal followers are still crowing over what wonderful clothes he’s wearing!!!

Rant over

4 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

Who were the other 3 out of interest?

I made that bit up, tongue in cheek! Sorry I should have added a smily face to avoid misunderstanding.

In any event promoted managers would no longer be included in long serving championship manager stats.

3 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

Which is why he hasn't got sacked yeah?

He hasn't been sacked yet because they are very close family friends SL  What is the old saying " Never Mix Business with Pleasure"  I'm sure if a manager working for Hargreaves Lansdown was under achieving for so long and cost the company millions of pounds each year he would have been got rid of very quickly..    Do you think any other club would give LJ the time and money that he has had only to produce a top 7 team

Archived