IGNORED

Afobe

Lez

Great to have him back, let down badly but the manager sticking him on the left....absolutely shocking.

The stat from sky sports was damning....Afobe didn't have a single touch in the opposition box.....tactical masterclass LJ.

I hope we sign this guy up aslong as he is fit.

1 minute ago, Lez said:

Great to have him back, let down badly but the manager sticking him on the left....absolutely shocking.

The stat from sky sports was damning....Afobe didn't have a single touch in the opposition box.....tactical masterclass LJ.

I hope we sign him but doubt he will want to come here now , especially as it obvious Palmer will be off in the summer unless the Lansdowns grow some balls and sack golden boy

1 minute ago, Lez said:

With everything that has gone on today to play Afobe wide left has to be the ultimate example of LJ’s poor management.

SL must remove him.

I think LJ has just proved why he’ll never get this club as high up the league as his father managed.

Doesn’t matter how good he believes he is, junior is just proving his ego is way bigger than his actual ability.  His failings are out there for everyone to see, so there’s no hiding place and no bullshit or lame excuses will make any difference to that.

I cringe at how he has been treated today. Stuck on the left wing, out of position, arguably our best player and then gets hauled off.

Why he’s not being played up top with Wells is beyond me - with either Pato or Palmer just behind. But LJ won’t play Palmer for some reason. 

Johnson’s man management and team selection in general is awful.  

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

He’s very good and looked sharp today. Wrong decision to play him out wide though. On paper, him and Wells is a strong partnership so play them to their strengths! Immensely frustrating to watch.

First game back in the starting lineup and bossed his man each time, lovely bit of trickery and skill to keep the ball as well. 

10 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Felt very sorry for Afobe. He deserved better than to be used like that.

As an aside, I felt he came across very well on the RB post-match interview. Articulate and sounds like a nice guy

Did he say he had enough of this manager?

The only positive today was Afobe’s performance. 
Shame it wasn’t in a position to carry a goal threat. 
Considering LJ loves his ‘POMO’s’ it’s bewildering to see such a talented striker left to flounder on the wing. 

I thought he was very mediocre today. With doubts over income next season, would only sign him on a free, and if he accepts realistic wages.

As for Palmer, he was very ordinary on loan and has been less than ordinary this season. Don’t think LJ is the problem there.

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

He’s very good and looked sharp today. Wrong decision to play him out wide though. On paper, him and Wells is a strong partnership so play them to their strengths! Immensely frustrating to watch.

Great pair, but if the midfield can't provide stability, control or a supply line it all goes to waste!

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Felt very sorry for Afobe. He deserved better than to be used like that.

As an aside, I felt he came across very well on the RB post-match interview. Articulate and sounds like a nice guy.

Was about to post the same RR. He came across really well post match on YouTube. 

I wonder why LJ didn’t make an appearance post match. I’d love to hear what  he thought of more defensive errors and only two shots on goal from City and why he didn’t play Wells and Afobe as a striking pair.

Like most of us I was really disappointed with City today. Huffing and puffing with nothing to show and I’m now seriously beginning to question whether LJ can deliver. 

Until today I’ve been indifferent to LJ largely because SL has made it clear that LJ is his man regardless and unless City are in danger of the drop SL won’t be replacing him.

However......I suspect that SL is realising that LJ is not going to achieve his dream of the PL riches and there could well be some recruitment wheeling and dealing happening behind the scenes.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Was about to post the same RR. He came across really well post match on YouTube. 

I wonder why LJ didn’t make an appearance post match. I’d love to hear what  he thought of more defensive errors and only two shots on goal from City and why he didn’t play Wells and Afobe as a striking pair.

Like most of us I was really disappointed with City today. Huffing and puffing with nothing to show and I’m now seriously beginning to question whether LJ can deliver. 

Until today I’ve been indifferent to LJ largely because SL has made it clear that LJ is his man regardless and unless City are in danger of the drop SL won’t be replacing him.

However......I suspect that SL is realising that LJ is not going to achieve his dream of the PL riches and there could well be some recruitment wheeling and dealing happening behind the scenes.

Gotta say your posts are a far better read since your ban.

keep up the good work ?

4 hours ago, Countryfile said:

With everything that has gone on today to play Afobe wide left has to be the ultimate example of LJ’s poor management.

SL must remove him.

It’s not even poor management it’s lunacy. 

LJ turned Bobby Reid into something he wasn’t but for the one bobby there have been thirty square pegs in round holes. 

He seems to think he can change players into something they are not and only he can see it or do it!

Afobe’s interview post Match was excellent he clearly does want to stay here and said they had been talking all week about him playing wide and doing a job for the team. Unfortunately all I got out of it was I was asked to do something I don’t know and did my best as the manager was giving me a run. 

FFS. 

4 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

Fantastic striker at this level. Cursing as he went off . Would thrive under the right manager. Along with Palmer 

A decent, proven manager would look at our forward options of Afobe, Wells, Diedhiou, Weimann, Palmer and Eliasson and just salivate instantly while utilising and rotating all of them properly in their correct positions as we tear up the division with flair up front coupled with a solid foundation of Maenpaa, Baker, Kalas and Williams at the back .... Korey and Liam patrolling and prompting from the midfield and Dasilva, Hunt and Rowe giving us a mixture of guile and steel as and when they are selected...that lot would run through brick walls for the right guy at the helm ...

Afobe is a top class striker. Play to his strengths as in through the middle and he will score goals.

We once had the privilege of a fantastic dutch midfielder loaned to us by Ajax. He played in the same pre season friendly as a central midfielder against us in the same team as a certain Louis Suarez. That midfielder who played us off the pitch was Evander Sno.

When he came to us our manager at the time thought he knew best by playing him out wide.

Amongst the teams Sno played for were Ajax and Celtic.

Amongst the teams our manager at the time had managed were Yeovil and a coaching stint at Watford.

Fast forward that to our situation now;

Afobe has played for the likes of Wolves, Stoke and Bournemouth.

Our Head Coach has coached at Oldham, Barnsley and City. 

Spot the similarities?

The quality of the playing personnel has gone up considerably. The quality of the coaching remains at League 1 or lower Championship standard at best.

That is why we are struggling.

55 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

A decent, proven manager would look at our forward options of Afobe, Wells, Diedhiou, Weimann, Palmer and Eliasson and just salivate instantly while utilising and rotating all of them properly in their correct positions as we tear up the division with flair up front coupled with a solid foundation of Maenpaa, Baker, Kalas and Williams at the back .... Korey and Liam patrolling and prompting from the midfield and Dasilva, Hunt and Rowe giving us a mixture of guile and steel as and when they are selected...that lot would run through brick walls for the right guy at the helm ...

Mention for HNM. Thought he broke up their play well at times. Invites a free kick almost every time he gets near the ball. Takes the pressure off... Beyond his years. 

2 hours ago, Harry said:

The only positive today was Afobe’s performance. 
Shame it wasn’t in a position to carry a goal threat. 
Considering LJ loves his ‘POMO’s’ it’s bewildering to see such a talented striker left to flounder on the wing. 

Maenpaa was good too.  Took his crosses, made his saves, assured with his feet, got the odd attack going early on.

I’d give him another year.  I’d move Bentley on.....keepers with a mistake in them never change.  It’s harsh, but money will be tight, could get decent money for Bentley.

I agree with a lot on here, but the thing that annoyed me was Johnson after.

"We didn't hold the ball up well enough centrally" 

Afobe was doing that brilliantly, but wide where Johnson put him. He wanted Wells to play centre of the 3, fair enough , then play Watkins & Weimann or someone used to playing wide.
DO NOT JUST STICK PLAYERS IN THE WRONG POSITIONS TO GET THEM IN THE TEAM .
I thinks it's one of the worst things a manager can do, shoehorn players into any old position just to get them in the team. How many times have you heard "he can do a job there"? I don't want that, I want a player, who is very good in a role, to play that role. TBF, hard to put players into a certain position when you don't know what system you want to play, or what your best team is.

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Weak link. With respect to targetable by pacey players- look at Brentford at home.

Forward options are great but without the structure around it can all go to waste.

However I agree with a lot of what you say but have a few concerns about individuals and how certain areas can be exposed by the opposition.

No Morrell, Massengo or Nagy for consideration for varied games? Squad game after all. Think we have a good squad but it is not being utilised correctly- < the sum of our parts I think.

Archived