IGNORED

Kasey Palmer

ohhhshauntaylor

2 hours ago, GTFABM said:

What has vyner done to get a chance? On loan at aberdeen and sent back. Chasing a game i would rather have palmer than vyner all day everyday

Zak Vyner is in the squad as the Academy reared player. Just as Semenyo was earlier in the season.

I'm pleased that he has had some minutes. Now that we are not destined for the play offs, we should also register Walsh Jonny Smith and Morrell. Even Max O'Leary.

25 minutes ago, Swede said:

He is the one player that can save him his job (& that's too late). I thought COD had his best game today in that position (which doesn't say much) but with Wells AND Afobe they need the service.

The bloke is a quick thinker and a real talent. It's an absolute travesty that he doesn't play.

I was amazed at one piece of O'Dowda skill. He picked the ball up ten yards from Wednesday penalty area, went very close to the box, turned with the ball and after going past several Wednesday players, ended up with a back pass to Maenpaa when he was ten yards inside the City half.

Exquisite bit of football!

Listening to LJ's post match interview which is unbelievable "Bannon's a good player always tucking it around the corner. We haven't got that sort of player. Walsh cold be that player for us next season"

Lee, put a bit of faith in KP45. You once described him as "Hoddlesque"

That comment pretty much underlines that he just doesn't know how to coach at this level.

Shocking.

19 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Zak Vyner is in the squad as the Academy reared player. Just as Semenyo was earlier in the season.

I'm pleased that he has had some minutes. Now that we are not destined for the play offs, we should also register Walsh Jonny Smith and Morrell. Even Max O'Leary.

I understand from LJs interview that we cannot use our loan players this season , unless we have 5 or more players who test positive for coronavirus.

33 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

If thats the only reason then i would be even more fuming if i was palmer. He is there because he quite literally has to be

I don't think it's KP.

It's because LJ doesn't forgive a mistake. See how he dropped Kalas today. There are so many other examples if someone says Kalas was injured.

So when KP does make the pitch, he is so desperate to make a difference, he forces the passes rather than relaxing into the game - because he knows he'll be dropped as soon as he makes a mistake. All the more so as it will allow LJ to say that he tried him out but knew he would struggle ie he is always right.

We have to give these players time to settle and feel supported - that's how you get the best out of them. It doesn't matter who could be Taylor Moore or Walsh or Morrell

We all know he hasn't forgiven KP who came on earlier this year and made a mistake which led to a goal (can't remember the opposition but was at home) and now he is trying desperately to prove he is a game changer.

We cannot go on like this.

3 hours ago, WirralRobin said:

I genuinely haven't seen any lack of hard work in any of the fleeting appearances I've seen from Kasey this year at all. I think it's something wrongly associated with him.

couldn’t agree more, he works hard enough, he’s just not great at it.  Had a few tweets with Gregor pregame where he suggested Callum’s pressing stats per 90 were good.  My argument back was it’s ok getting within a yard, but if the player has popped the ball off by the time you got there, it might counts as a “1” in the stats column, but has zero benefit to the team.

If it were me, I’d be coaching KP on his pressing, but I’d also be coaching Diedhiou too, who presses inefficiently, and knackers himself out too easily.  I’d persevere with KP because what he can do on the ball.

Something must be going on behind the scenes though for LJ not to bring him on instead of Zac Vyner today. I wonder what he's like in training? Unless he's shown a marked down turn in attitude this year compared to last he can't be that much of a bad egg or LJ would not have signed him after his loan.  I'm just really struggling to see why he hasn't had more opportunities this year, especially now we have Afobe and Wells as a front pairing.

it’s bonkers really.  This will be LJ’s costliest recruit.  £3.5m, we won’t get that back, and we might not even get a club to pick up his wages.  A different manager will get more out of him....and avoid a costly sale.

55 minutes ago, Swede said:

Listening to LJ's post match interview which is unbelievable "Bannon's a good player always tucking it around the corner. We haven't got that sort of player. Walsh cold be that player for us next season"

For a player Johnson admires so much, you’d think he’d have come up with a plan to stop him by now.  Nobody got close to him today.  Makes you wonder doesn’t it.  Could’ve easily made it 10v10 today by telling Massengo to just follow him round the pitch.  It would stifle Wednesday massively.

That comment pretty much underlines that he just doesn't know how to coach at this level.

Agree, it’s become more evident (perhaps proof at last?) with two car crash performances.  Sledgehammer again today tactically.

Shocking.

I think we can only play Palmer if we play 3-5-2 which LJ seems very much against at the moment.

Slightly controversial but I think Palmer will be more effective with Nagy playing. He is our only CM intelligent enough to play a forward pass first time and just feel he would bring Palmer into the game quicker. Even if he takes a touch he seems willing to play passes forward and may just get Kasey a bit more space.

Without that sort of player Palmer has to drop deeper and deeper and ends up being ineffective. Smith is trying to do the ‘Nagy’ role but dont quite think his skill set suits it.

Would love to see us set up with Smith, Nagy and Palmer as a midfield 3 next game with wing backs either side and two strikers in front. (Not like we have anything to lose now!)

2 minutes ago, hinsleburg said:

I think we can only play Palmer if we play 3-5-2 which LJ seems very much against at the moment.

Slightly controversial but I think Palmer will be more effective with Nagy playing. He is our only CM intelligent enough to play a forward pass first time and just feel he would bring Palmer into the game quicker. Even if he takes a touch he seems willing to play passes forward and may just get Kasey a bit more space.

Without that sort of player Palmer has to drop deeper and deeper and ends up being ineffective. Smith is trying to do the ‘Nagy’ role but dont quite think his skill set suits it.

Would love to see us set up with Smith, Nagy and Palmer as a midfield 3 next game with wing backs either side and two strikers in front. (Not like we have anything to lose now!)

Agree, for me our most effective midfield 3 would be Nagy and Smith sitting with Palmer as the advanced playmaker. 

Only part I don't agree with is that this only works in a 3-5-2 I think it works perfectly in a 4-3-3 as well as you Have Smith to be the engine and then Nagy to be the link between defence and attack. 

12 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

I don't think it's KP.

It's because LJ doesn't forgive a mistake. See how he dropped Kalas today. There are so many other examples if someone says Kalas was injured.

So when KP does make the pitch, he is so desperate to make a difference, he forces the passes rather than relaxing into the game - because he knows he'll be dropped as soon as he makes a mistake. All the more so as it will allow LJ to say that he tried him out but knew he would struggle ie he is always right.

We have to give these players time to settle and feel supported - that's how you get the best out of them. It doesn't matter who could be Taylor Moore or Walsh or Morrell

We all know he hasn't forgiven KP who came on earlier this year and made a mistake which led to a goal (can't remember the opposition but was at home) and now he is trying desperately to prove he is a game changer.

We cannot go on like this.

Exactly this. Magnússon got the same treatment. Hung out to dry after the 5-0 at Preston despite coming on when the game was already lost. Never sure of his place. Taylor Moore’s treatment is baffling too. With Palmer, he’s now backed into a corner because if he plays well, it’ll be a case of you should have done that ages ago. Yet he gives him 30 mins here or there whilst O’Dowda now plays regularly without producing. 12 months ago, it was him getting the same treatment. There is no logic.

2 minutes ago, Spud55 said:

Agree, for me our most effective midfield 3 would be Nagy and Smith sitting with Palmer as the advanced playmaker. 

Only part I don't agree with is that this only works in a 3-5-2 I think it works perfectly in a 4-3-3 as well as you Have Smith to be the engine and then Nagy to be the link between defence and attack. 

Unsure who would then play as the front 3 then would be my concern? Think Afobe, Wells and Diedhiou all need to play central and we would end up with Afobe left wing like today. 

Unless you drop two of them I think 433 is a struggle. I think we lack natural pace to play proper wingers like that as well personally.

Just now, hinsleburg said:

Unsure who would then play as the front 3 then would be my concern? Think Afobe, Wells and Diedhiou all need to play central and we would end up with Afobe left wing like today. 

Unless you drop two of them I think 433 is a struggle. I think we lack natural pace to play proper wingers like that as well personally.

I think if you play Palmer then you want a 3 with some Width, so I would probably go Fam in the middle with Nic out left and Wells out right, if I wanted to have more strikers I'd play Fam In the middle and then Benik and Wells either side, with Fam to drop deeper allowing them all to play narrow and then use Pato as the advanced player allowed to drift and support the full backs to provide the width. 

8 minutes ago, Spud55 said:

I think if you play Palmer then you want a 3 with some Width, so I would probably go Fam in the middle with Nic out left and Wells out right, if I wanted to have more strikers I'd play Fam In the middle and then Benik and Wells either side, with Fam to drop deeper allowing them all to play narrow and then use Pato as the advanced player allowed to drift and support the full backs to provide the width. 

Interesting thoughts, I would have concerns about too many players playing out of position but you can’t deny there’s goals there.

At the end of the day, what have we got to lose now!?

5 minutes ago, Swede said:

He is the one player that can save him his job (& that's too late). I thought COD had his best game today in that position (which doesn't say much) but with Wells AND Afobe they need the service.

The bloke is a quick thinker and a real talent. It's an absolute travesty that he doesn't play.

I wonder whether there is too much focus on what a player can't/doesn't do, rather than what he does do - from the head coach and our fans.

Applying that logic, Jimmy Greaves would have struggled to get a game back in the day, as he more than often did pretty well nothing for 88 minutes!

1 hour ago, Swede said:

Shocking.

You mean Hoddle - the player who would have had well over 100 caps had he been French, or Italian or,  well, anything but English?

Hoddle's England career suffered through England being managed by manager's with little/ no imagination and looking to "keep things tight" and "give nothing away". Sound familiar?

5 minutes ago, downendcity said:

I wonder whether there is too much focus on what a player can't/doesn't do, rather than what he does do - from the head coach and our fans.

Applying that logic, Jimmy Greaves would have struggled to get a game back in the day, as he more than often did pretty well nothing for 88 minutes!

So did David Seal. And then he'd bury a screamer from about forty yards.

And yes, I have just compared David Seal to Jimmy Greaves. ?

Just now, Superjack said:

So did David Seal. And then he'd bury a screamer from about forty yards.

And yes, I have just compared David Seal to Jimmy Greaves. ?

I remember reading  a quote from a defender who played against JG back in the day. He said that after 85 minutes he'd not given Greaves a kick and was congratulating himself on a job well done. 5 minutes later Greaves has scored twice.

Greaves wasn't in the team to track back, win the ball an umpteen other things. His job was to score goals, and that's what he did. Other players were in the team to do what JG couldn't/didn't do but JG was in the team to do what others could not do.

42 minutes ago, hinsleburg said:

Really good points you make here. Agree completely re-Nagy and your favoured midfield. Really feel there is a real player there in Nagy who has been unlucky with injury.  Early in the season pre-injury we saw flashes of the link up play we could see between him and Palmer. As you say this squad, now injury free, is crying out for 3-5-2 built around creating chances for an Afobe / Wells partnership up top and both Nagy and Palmer would play key roles in that formation.

Archived