IGNORED

Who do we want, who could we realistically get?

AppyDAZE

33 minutes ago, paul_fox said:

Mick Mccarthy. The Van Bommel shout further up could be interesting though 

18 minutes ago, paul_fox said:

I can't see SL going for someone like Van Bommel. If he did then I'd be happy to give it a go. Although I'm sure we'd have to change our name to Van Bommels Bristol City 

21 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

Van Bommel too strong a character for the owner methinks.

I think he’s the most exciting of the names going round. Huge experience as a player, winners mentality, Barca and Dutch tactical mindset, tough as a player though. Would win instant respect of the players, fans and staff. He is singleminded but also as a European should be used to the head coach model.

2 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

In fairness his record is a bit patchy at this level but he was at perennial Championship strugglers Rotherham and Barnsley .

I don’t know what happened at Huddersfield but it wasn’t a great move for him . 

Has he learned his lessons ?

Also sacked from Scunthorpe.....so it's a no from me.

6 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

In fairness his record is a bit patchy at this level but he was at perennial Championship strugglers Rotherham and Barnsley .

I don’t know what happened at Huddersfield but it wasn’t a great move for him . 

Has he learned his lessons ?

Not sure I want our club to be the one that finds out.

Also, is Robins even going to fancy coming? Would you not expect him to be more interested in sticking with Cov and giving it a go with the club he got promoted? Isn't it quite arrogant of us to assume we can poach him.

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

Not sure I want our club to be the one that finds out.

Also, is Robins even going to fancy coming? Would you not expect him to be more interested in sticking with Cov and giving it a go with the club he got promoted? Isn't it quite arrogant of us to assume we can poach him.

Robins would jump at the chance .

The popular choice: Chris Hughton. Although I feel the longer we wait the more likely he will end up at Brum.

Ideal fit for the club currently: Alex Neil or Mark Robins. Both can work on a budget and have been very successful with their respective clubs. I would be excited to see how they could work with the talent in our squad. Alex Neil has done a fantastic job with Preston. Mark Robins has got Coventry playing great football and has worked well with Walsh which could do him the world of good in a city shirt to have a manager that plays a system suited to your strengths. I feel both of these could get Kasey and Liam Walsh playing fantastic football. 

Outside choice: Ryan Lowe. Done a fantastic job at Bury and Plymouth over the past two years. Earning consecutive promotions. Obvious question would be could he deliver at a higher standard. Seems to be a great man manager. 

I would quite like Jokanovic. 

Two promotions, a great brand of football. Gets control in that midfield. 

I think Fulham tried to change too much too soon which caused them issues but at this level, well I'd be more than happy to see how it goes. 

He was linked with Birmingham IIRC. I think we're a better prospect at this time.

1 minute ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

The popular choice: Chris Hughton. Although I feel the longer we wait the more likely he will end up at Brum.

Ideal fit for the club currently: Alex Neil or Mark Robins. Both can work on a budget and have been very successful with their respective clubs. I would be excited to see how they could work with the talent in our squad. Alex Neil has done a fantastic job with Preston. Mark Robins has got Coventry playing great football and has worked well with Walsh which could do him the world of good in a city shirt to have a manager that plays a system suited to your strengths. I feel both of these could get Kasey and Liam Walsh playing fantastic football. 

Outside choice: Ryan Lowe. Done a fantastic job at Bury and Plymouth over the past two years. Earning consecutive promotions. Obvious question would be could he deliver at a higher standard. Seems to be a great man manager. 

We are looking for promotion to the prem.....Hughton and Neil are reasonable shouts but Robin's was sacked by Scunthorpe only 2 years back and Lowe is a ridiculous suggestion.

30 minutes ago, Lez said:

That's bollocks he left them in the prem something we will never achieve with LJ.

At the bottom, 8 points adrift. 

He's set a club record at Schalke of 16 games without win. 

I'm not saying LJ is the answer, I want him gone, but Wagner isn't the answer either.

1 minute ago, Selred said:

At the bottom, 8 points adrift. 

He's set a club record at Schalke of 16 games without win. 

I'm not saying LJ is the answer, I want him gone, but Wagner isn't the answer either.

He took little Hiddersfield to the prem for God sake and did better than other sides over the years with much bigger resources. Get in the real world.

As a realistic name, it's Paul Cook for me.

Has good lower league experience of winning - took Chesterfield up from L2 in his second year as champions, and then got them into the L1 playoffs which was no mean feat.

Went to Portsmouth, and got them promoted as champions from L2.

Then Wigan out of L1 as champions, and now has them team doing decently, and has steered them to mid table having been bottom and expected to go down by many just a few months ago. Wigan play reasonable football too, considering the quality and money he has at his disposal.

27 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Has good lower league experience of winning - took Chesterfield up from L2 in his second year as champions, and then got them into the L1 playoffs which was no mean feat.

Then Wigan out of L1 as champions, and now has them team doing decently, and has steered them to mid table having been bottom and expected to go down by many just a few months ago. Wigan play reasonable football too, considering the quality and money he has at his disposal.

That's a good shout.

Always thought their performance level outstripped results earlier in the season, but yeah he has a solid body of work.

He certainly has a philosophy. Often likes 4-3-3, can vary between reasonable and more physical/defensive but he seems to have an idea of what he wants to achieve. Seems clear.

One big concern for me about him was their away record- not necessarily performances but results most certainly. However, he seems to have made big strides in that regard in 2020.

25 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Would be happy with him and as you say a realistic option.

29 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Great shout.

14 minutes ago, Whale Eye Beef Hooked said:

Eddie Howe seems the perfect fit.  Likes a long term project and is used to selling his best players and promoting youth.  I think there is more of a chance than people think 

Would have to check their PL expenditure though he does promote youth too- they broke FFP regs to go up and think they have spent quite broadly- his star has fallen a little this season IMO.

Besides which, I'm not sure there would be much of a chance.

Had a very brief look and a very brief look on Transfermarkt doesn't tell the whole story I'll grant you but they've had a net spend- not a brilliant metric I know but a net spend of £176.95m in their 5 PL seasons. Not exactly small beer?

31 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

He’d be on my shortlist too.

Some good names being thrown about.

Nothing against Macca or Deano, but I think you should only promote from within if your manager has left for better things, not because of a sacking....it’s the same people, short term uplift, then same old stuff (the stats prove it too).  Brentford appointed Frank when Smith went to Villa, not because he was sacked.

Smith has disappointed me this season, he’s become a walking excuse.  Nothing is Villa’s fault.  I don’t like that.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He’d be on my shortlist too.

Some good names being thrown about.

Nothing against Macca or Deano, but I think you should only promote from within if your manager has left for better things, not because of a sacking....it’s the same people, short term uplift, then same old stuff (the stats prove it too).  Brentford appointed Frank when Smith went to Villa, not because he was sacked.

Smith has disappointed me this season, he’s become a walking excuse.  Nothing is Villa’s fault.  I don’t like that.

I personally think Brentford got the better of the deal or may well do- I know Smith did get them up but with such a big, shit or bust club wide effort I'd have thought it was promotion or bust...possibly in all ways.

Smith can't for me anyway, properly and consistently organise the defensive side- I don't mean boring 11 men behind the ball but tactically, structurally- Frank I believe can. Whereas looking at Smith's sides- they were entertaining and at times great, but they weren't half susceptible at the back at times! Talking even at this level.

As you say, excuse after excuse- he's a right moaner or seems to have come across as one this season.

59 minutes ago, Lez said:

We are looking for promotion to the prem.....Hughton and Neil are reasonable shouts but Robin's was sacked by Scunthorpe only 2 years back and Lowe is a ridiculous suggestion.

I don't feel it's a "ridiculous suggestion". I seem to remember alot of people keen on Danny Cowley when he was at Lincoln. Lowe had achieved just as much. He wouldn't be first choice but certainly seems to be an up and coming manager worth keeping an eye on 

1 hour ago, Lez said:

12 minutes ago, Lez said:

Great shout.

Lowe 2 years as manager, 2 promotions is a ridiculous suggestion presumably as its lower league.

Cook some success at lower levels, struggled in the Champ with Wigan is a great shout.

Alright then.

Just now, AshtonRobin21 said:

I don't feel it's a "ridiculous suggestion". I seem to remember alot of people keen on Danny Cowley when he was at Lincoln. Lowe had achieved just as much. He wouldn't be first choice but certainly seems to be an up and coming manager worth keeping an eye on 

An up and coming manager to keep an eye on YES.....a manager to employ with the aim of prem football.....no chance.

As for Cowley, hes about to either be sacked or take huddersfield down so not a good comparison.....a big difference between success in league 2 and the championship. 

Archived