IGNORED

Who do we want, who could we realistically get?

AppyDAZE

Just now, cidercity1987 said:

Lowe 2 years as manager, 2 promotions is a ridiculous suggestion presumably as its lower league.

Cook some success at lower levels, struggled in the Champ with Wigan is a great shout.

Alright then.

Got promoted with Chesterfield 

Got promoted with Portsmouth

Got promoted with Wigan

Get in the real world.

1 minute ago, cidercity1987 said:

Lowe 2 years as manager, 2 promotions is a ridiculous suggestion presumably as its lower league.

Cook some success at lower levels, struggled in the Champ with Wigan is a great shout.

Alright then.

Struggling- it's relative. Since the turn of the year saw some stat last night, their form has been 2nd or 3rd best in 2020 at this level.

Main reason for their struggle IMO was away record- and even then their performances seemed to indicate a midtable/bottom of the top half type placing. They've won 5 away games from January 1st-present.

Just now, Lez said:

Got promoted with Wigan

Get in the real world.

Lowe has had 2 promotions with 2 different clubs in his first 2 seasons. God knows why he so extreme in your opinions compared to Cook.

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Struggling- it's relative. Since the turn of the year saw some stat last night, their form has been 2nd or 3rd best in 2020 at this level.

Main reason for their struggle IMO was away record- and even then their performances seemed to indicate a midtable/bottom of the top half type placing. They've won 5 away games from January 1st-present.

3rd lowest budget in the league as well....some people just dont understand how this game works.

Just now, cidercity1987 said:

Lowe has had 2 promotions with 2 different clubs in his first 2 seasons. God knows why he so extreme in your opinions compared to Cook.

If you think BCFC would even look at Ryan Lowe you are deluded.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Wigan doing alright at the moment, a few months ago most of their fans wanted Cook gone.

1 minute ago, Lez said:

3rd lowest budget in the league as well....some people just dont understand how this game works.

If you think BCFC would even look at Ryan Lowe you are deluded.

I doubt they'll look at Lowe but I bloody hope they dont look at Cook either! 

17 minutes ago, Whale Eye Beef Hooked said:

Eddie Howe seems the perfect fit.  Likes a long term project and is used to selling his best players and promoting youth.  I think there is more of a chance than people think 

Depends on the owners at Bournemouth I guess. If they go down is he more likely to be available or less likely? No doubting he would be a good fit though.

Giving Williams a crack short term might be a good move too, as long as he is his own man and not a LJ clone.

1 minute ago, cidercity1987 said:

Wigan doing alright at the moment, a few months ago most of their fans wanted Cook gone.

I doubt they'll look at Lowe but I bloody hope they dont look at Cook either! 

Indeed, but again- I'd argue their performance levels were better than results. Now it's levelling out a bit- whereas this season for us, our results have been better than performance most of the time.

David Wagner? Need to keep it real though, until we know what will be happening next season in terms of fans returning and likely revenues, we need to work on a tight budget. And there’s the risk of a second wave of the virus this winter. 
May a guess, whoever comes in will have to work with an already bloated squad, with the odd free transfer added.

1 hour ago, Lez said:

We are looking for promotion to the prem.....Hughton and Neil are reasonable shouts but Robin's was sacked by Scunthorpe only 2 years back and Lowe is a ridiculous suggestion.

You want a manager that has never been sacked? 

Know anything about conditions he worked under at Scunthorpe?  I don’t think one sacking should rule any manager out. We aren’t Liverpool

Not sure why Lowe is such a ridiculous shout. 

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I would quite like Jokanovic. 

Two promotions, a great brand of football. Gets control in that midfield. 

I think Fulham tried to change too much too soon which caused them issues but at this level, well I'd be more than happy to see how it goes. 

He was linked with Birmingham IIRC. I think we're a better prospect at this time.

Unfortunately he wants £40k per week which I cannot see us paying 

57 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

As a realistic name, it's Paul Cook for me.

Has good lower league experience of winning - took Chesterfield up from L2 in his second year as champions, and then got them into the L1 playoffs which was no mean feat.

Went to Portsmouth, and got them promoted as champions from L2.

Then Wigan out of L1 as champions, and now has them team doing decently, and has steered them to mid table having been bottom and expected to go down by many just a few months ago. Wigan play reasonable football too, considering the quality and money he has at his disposal.

Good pragmatic suggestion. I like that.

Not going to happen but I’d be genuinely intrigued to see what someone like Allardyce could do with our squad. On paper I think our squad is good, I feel Johnson has run out of ideas.

1 minute ago, And Its Smith said:

You want a manager that has never been sacked? 

Know anything about conditions he worked under at Scunthorpe?  I don’t think one sacking should rule any manager out. We aren’t Liverpool

Not sure why Lowe is such a ridiculous shout. 

Unfortunately he wants £40k per week which I cannot see us paying 

No I want a manager who hasnt been sacked by Scunthorpe with a playoff budget when on the verge of relegation.

Lowe is ridiculous shout because it wont happen....we are a side looking for prem football not a mid table league 1 side.

26 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I personally think Brentford got the better of the deal or may well do- I know Smith did get them up but with such a big, shit or bust club wide effort I'd have thought it was promotion or bust...possibly in all ways.

Smith can't for me anyway, properly and consistently organise the defensive side- I don't mean boring 11 men behind the ball but tactically, structurally- Frank I believe can. Whereas looking at Smith's sides- they were entertaining and at times great, but they weren't half susceptible at the back at times! Talking even at this level.

As you say, excuse after excuse- he's a right moaner or seems to have come across as one this season.

Yep, my reservations too.  Smith teams always concede.

21 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Alright then.

Wigan have a budget 1/3 of ours.  Got them up at first attempt, kept them in the Champ.  Plays a decent style of football, gets a lot out of his players, e,g, Nick Powell, temperamental, but got a tune out if him .  Good eye for a player, Robinson, Williams, Lowe, etc.

20 minutes ago, Lez said:

Got promoted with Wigan

Get in the real world.

??????

31 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Giving Williams a crack short term might be a good move too, as long as he is his own man and not a LJ clone

You referring to MK Dons assistant manager or Ashley Williams? Would rather Ashley focusing on being a player

21 minutes ago, Lez said:

No I want a manager who hasnt been sacked by Scunthorpe with a playoff budget when on the verge of relegation.

Lowe is ridiculous shout because it wont happen....we are a side looking for prem football not a mid table league 1 side.

No hard or fast rule for success I’m afraid. 

9 minutes ago, hodge said:

You referring to MK Dons assistant manager or Ashley Williams? Would rather Ashley focusing on being a player

Ashley mate.

He can't do any worse than LJ after all. As an interim, we could do worse and we clearly aren't going anywhere this season. 

Birmingham interested in Robins from what I've just read in the paper. Would be a gamble tbh.

Where we are now, we would either need to go big or go home. Someone with experience of being near the top of this league, and/or getting up out of it. The alternative is to go abroad for someone with experience at the equivalent level.

Go for another gamble, then you may as well just give it to Jamie Mac or let Brian Tinnion have another go.

Either way Johnson has to go now. Even if it means a temporary coach until the season finishes.

I would like Hughton or Bowyer, realistically I think it would be Robins (not completely against it but unsure he would take us to the next level.)

Even more realistic I think is two more seasons of going nowhere (except maybe sideways, backwards, sideways again before a long kick to the corner) under Johnson.

Hughton, McCarthy are the two that spring to mind for me. Robins is a good shout, I think I could get behind that.

Seem to be a few rumblings over Dean Smith’s future at Villa - would take him in a heartbeat.

Short of Dean Saunders I’d be willing to listen to pretty much any suggestion now.

Assuming Johnson goes, and that’s a big if right now, whoever the new manager is he needs to command respect from a squad packed full of international, expensive talent. That could be an exceptional former player who’s on the up as a manager (Van Bommel), a manager with a record of getting teams up to the PL (Moyes, Hughton), or both (Jokanovich). Not another lower league journeyman who’s achieved nothing as a player or manager with a penchant for bullshit. 

As for Jokanovich wanting £40k pw, that’s around £2.1m a year. I’d imagine you could get around that by offering £20k pw and a £1m promotion bonus. Dangle that carrot to get us up and see what he can do.

I’d be happy with Jokanovich or Van Bommel, that would show real ambition and prove the board actually does aspire to be in the PL. 

2 minutes ago, tin said:

Assuming Johnson goes, and that’s a big if right now, whoever the new manager is he needs to command respect from a squad packed full of international, expensive talent. That could be an exceptional former player who’s on the up as a manager (Van Bommel), a manager with a record of getting teams up to the PL (Moyes, Hughton), or both (Jokanovich). Not another lower league journeyman who’s achieved nothing as a player or manager with a penchant for bullshit. 

As for Jokanovich wanting £40k pw, that’s around £2.1m a year. I’d imagine you could get around that by offering £20k pw and a £1m promotion bonus. Dangle that carrot to get us up and see what he can do.

I’d be happy with Jokanovich or Van Bommel, that would show real ambition and prove the board actually does aspire to be in the PL. 

The problem is this assumes that Johnson goes.....which he wont

Archived