IGNORED

Who do we want, who could we realistically get?

AppyDAZE

Allardyce or McCarthy

Experience of winning things/getting promoted is vital for the next man I reckon.

I don’t feel as though it would guarantee promotion, but it would be good knowing that the man in charge knows exactly what it takes. 

We follow the same patterns every year under Johnson, I was fed up a year ago, in even more fed up of it all now. Looking forward to change. 

8 minutes ago, Lez said:

The problem is this assumes that Johnson goes.....which he wont

You don’t know that.

It’s a matter of record that he came very close to being sacked in 16/17 when we were in the relegation zone. He narrowly survived. The target is different now but he is now failing again....we can’t say for certain how Lansdown and the board will view that.

I do like Liam Rosenior...maybe a bit young, but with a DoF working above him?

But this is what will happen: Johnson until the end of the season. Then fired. Then McCalister appointed. Relagation. McCalister fired. League 1 mediocrity for 3 years. Then promotion.

I don't think SL wants us in the premier league.

Christ, what a depressing thread.  Most of the names mentioned make me want to slit my wrists.  Mick McCarthy, Chris Hughton, Warnock, really?  I’d like to see a young coach, possibly from overseas, similar to the Brentford manager.  Who is leading the way in the premiership, at the moment?  It sure as hell isn’t British managers over the age of 60 .

I think those who believe Steve Lansdown won’t act are wrong.  He has a vision for the club and if he feels that that is not likely to be achieved by LJ then I believe he will take action.  The one thing you can say about Steve Lansdown is that he is no fool.  He didn’t hand the job from GJ to Keith Millen.  Millen was the right (indeed, the only possible) appointment after we had been let down by Coppell.  We are on a different trajectory now, and I would bet a lot of money that Lansdown already knows who he would want to appoint if LJ has to go.

Neil Warnock

Chris Hughton 

Mick McCarthy

David Moyes / Joe Jordan partnership

... don’t care if any of that is unrealistic ... they’d sort us out - well, the first three definitely would, the last suggestion is built on great memories and fluffy nostalgia.... but even so, they couldn’t do any worse than the current incumbent ... ?

25 minutes ago, Hare Island said:

Upgraded the ground, upgraded the scouting network, upgraded the squad, upgrading the training ground. Time to upgrade the manager.

Agree, now is the time to make the change. Johnson is not a bad manager but has now peaked - found his level (mid table Champ at best), but we need new ideas from someone new. Also someone who can pick a best 11 and stick with it. That way the players will learn a system. The current chaotic team changes every game is just nuts! Johnson has run out of ideas.

Cook at Wigan is one to look at IMO. Probably the type of manager SL will go for as he ain’t gonna go for a “No” man. He will get a “Yes” man.

2 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

But this is what will happen: Johnson until the end of the season. Then fired. Then McCalister appointed. Relagation. McCalister fired. League 1 mediocrity for 3 years. Then promotion.

Why do people say this? Why would Lansdown invest £45,000,000 in a new stadium, rebuild the training ground and invest historic sums in the team if he didn’t want us to achieve the ultimate and reach the Premier League - the only place where he stands a chance of getting his money back?

I find it so bizarre when people say this. It’s like some weird coping mechanism to deal with our perennial failure.

Just now, DaveInSA said:

Sorry, but you’re wrong if you think Steve Lansdown doesn’t want success.  He has gambled an awful lot of money on trying to see us in the Premier League.  It is insulting to the man to suggest that he has not been trying to achieve that aim.  It may not be working at the moment, and it may be terminal, but I understand what the Johnson project was all about, and I think I understand why Steve has stood by Lee for so long, given our recent history.  Steve Lansdown has done more for this club than anyone since Harry Dolman, so please don’t insult him.  If he walked, you’d be very sorry.

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Neil Warnock

Chris Hughton 

Mick McCarthy

... don’t care if any of that is unrealistic ... they’d sort us out - well, the first three definitely would, the last suggestion is built on great memories and fluffy nostalgia.... but even so, they couldn’t do any worse than the current incumbent ... ?

If MM gets the job while we’re still playing behind closed doors can we call him Pandemick McCarthy?

2 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

It isn't. Lansdown hates Warnock.

But he wants premiership football and he's not getting it.

Warnock has wanted the job before, doesn't appear to be a Johnson family fan, admires Steve Lansdown, is totally proven and would be hugely motivated for all of those reasons 

I reckon he's get us to the PL in one season.

5 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Neil Warnock

Chris Hughton 

Mick McCarthy

Ha ha, posted two minutes after my post #159.

1 minute ago, cityfan said:

But he wants premiership football and he's not getting it.

Warnock has wanted the job before, doesn't appear to be a Johnson family fan, admires Steve Lansdown, is totally proven and would be hugely motivated for all of those reasons 

I reckon he's get us to the PL in one season.

I think he could too, but I still say he's not a Steve Lansdown type of man. Also I reckon he'll stay at Boro.

Rafael Benitez is the mananger who could take you forward and inject some excitement and sell even more season tickets  and didn't mind dropping down down to the championship with Newcastle. I don't know how you prise him away from China but that's upto your billionaire chairman to show his ambition!

16 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Christ, what a depressing thread.  Most of the names mentioned make me want to slit my wrists.  Mick McCarthy, Chris Hughton, Warnock, really?  I’d like to see a young coach, possibly from overseas, similar to the Brentford manager.  Who is leading the way in the premiership, at the moment?  It sure as hell isn’t British managers over the age of 60 .

I think those who believe Steve Lansdown won’t act are wrong.  He has a vision for the club and if he feels that that is not likely to be achieved by LJ then I believe he will take action.  The one thing you can say about Steve Lansdown is that he is no fool.  He didn’t hand the job from GJ to Keith Millen.  Millen was the right (indeed, the only possible) appointment after we had been let down by Coppell.  We are on a different trajectory now, and I would bet a lot of money that Lansdown already knows who he would want to appoint if LJ has to go.

I reckon it will happen after we lose to Forest this week.

23 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Ha ha, posted two minutes after my post #159.

Apologies, didn’t have time to read 159 posts before posting my suggestions - I want a proven, successful guy at this level - always have - you don’t, that’s fine - I’ve long held the view that some City fans are afraid of real success, they instantly shy away from managerial suggestions regarding people who have the right experience, skills and knowledge to be hugely successful with our club. The fact you used words such as ‘depressing’ and ‘slit your wrists’ when considering Warnock, Hughton or McCarthy suggests you are one such supporter...their CVs at this level are just awesome - all of them   ??

45 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Who is leading the way in the premiership, at the moment?  It sure as hell isn’t British managers over the age of 60....

Well, currently 10 of the 12 premiership clubs have British managers - I think St Mirren has an Irish manager and Hearts has a vacancy - but the rest are British - I don’t think any are over the age of 60 though, so you’ve got a point there ...

4 hours ago, Hare Island said:

I think he’s the most exciting of the names going round. Huge experience as a player, winners mentality, Barca and Dutch tactical mindset, tough as a player though. Would win instant respect of the players, fans and staff. He is singleminded but also as a European should be used to the head coach model.

Couldn't agree more, he'd be perfect for the job, which is exactly why we will never appoint such a figure!

In an ideal world I'd like Hughton but don't think he would come and if he did I think we'd be putting him in the shop window for someone else to come along and snatch should we be half decent.

So, Mick McCarthy would be my choice.  A solid, realistic appointment and one with a decent track record. 

I like the Liam Rosenior suggestion and he's seems very astute as well as having the top level coaching qualifications at such a young age.

LJ is a brilliant salesman but I suspect Liam Rosenior will make a much better football manager.  

He praises Tony Pulis here but only on the basis of consistency of a style of playing and each player knowing their specific role.  

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liam-rosenior-latest-shock-name-16380682

Warburton or Robins for me.

Though if SL is still after a puppet and someone who won’t cause him too much agro then I’d be happy to see Liam Rosenior given a chance. Convinced he’s going to be very good manager.

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Apologies, didn’t have time to read 159 posts before posting my suggestions - I want a proven, successful guy at this level - always have - you don’t, that’s fine - I’ve long held the view that some City fans are afraid of real success, they instantly shy away from managerial suggestions regarding people who have the right experience, skills and knowledge to be hugely successful with our club. The fact you used words such as ‘depressing’ and ‘slit your wrists’ when considering Warnock, Hughton or McCarthy suggests you are one such supporter...their CVs at this level are just awesome - all of them   ??

Yes, but they are, inevitably, approaching the end of their careers, and I’m afraid that I think achieving success in the modern game needs someone who is going to adopt modern methods and thinking.  No disrespect to any of the names mentioned (I actually have a lot time even for Warnock), but none seem to be forward-looking appointments, which is what I find so depressing.  Would anyone want Pauli’s back?

2 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Yes, but they are, inevitably, approaching the end of their careers, and I’m afraid that I think achieving success in the modern game needs someone who is going to adopt modern methods and thinking.  No disrespect to any of the names mentioned (I actually have a lot time even for Warnock), but none seem to be forward-looking appointments, which is what I find so depressing.  Would anyone want Pauli’s back?

Is he Italian?

Archived