IGNORED

Who do we want, who could we realistically get?

AppyDAZE

1 minute ago, Loosey Boy said:

You can honestly see SL acting if we lose at Forest on Wednesday?

Yes, I could see it.  Not saying definitely.  But he doesn’t like being made to look silly, and always gets his action in first.

2 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Yes, but they are, inevitably, approaching the end of their careers, and I’m afraid that I think achieving success in the modern game needs someone who is going to adopt modern methods and thinking.  No disrespect to any of the names mentioned (I actually have a lot time even for Warnock), but none seem to be forward-looking appointments, which is what I find so depressing.  Would anyone want Pauli’s back?

But Mick McCarthy and Chris Hughton probably each have about 10 years left in their management careers - Sir Alex and Sir Bobby were managers into their 70s and Roy Hodgson and Neil Warnock are still going in their 70s ... and no, I wouldn’t want Pauli’s back ...

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

But Mick McCarthy and Chris Hughton probably each have about 10 years left in their management careers - Sir Alex and Sir Bobby were managers into their 70s and Roy Hodgson and Neil Warnock are still going in their 70s ... and no, I wouldn’t want Pauli’s back ...

I agree. Seems strange to write someone off based on age. Also, managers only last a few years anyway. I couldn’t care less if a manager is very close to the end of their career if they can offer us something. Mick McCarthy or Chris Hughton would be very good appointments and we would be lucky to have either.

35 minutes ago, bris red said:

Adkins is a good shout to be fair, as you said he has done a good job everywhere he has been. Probably a more realistic option aswell.

I think we can do better than Atkins.....granted a solid manager....but 2020 stadium training squad resources and stable ownership can be a big draw to higher level managers desperate to get back into work.

3 hours ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Rafael Benitez is the mananger who could take you forward and inject some excitement and sell even more season tickets  and didn't mind dropping down down to the championship with Newcastle. I don't know how you prise him away from China but that's upto your billionaire chairman to show his ambition!

I'd have a bit of your di canio's passion right now, what's he up too?

13 minutes ago, Lez said:

I think we can do better than Atkins.....granted a solid manager....but 2020 stadium training squad resources and stable ownership can be a big draw to higher level managers desperate to get back into work.

True. As I've said i think we should do whatever it takes to get Hughton here. 

If they sacked him before the end of the season they'd put Macca in charge for the remaining games, and if he did ok might give him the job next season, ie a bit like when Millen was appointed. Can't see any 'big name' coming here and having to report to Ashton, and SL won't want anyone who's going to be difficult and potentially upset the applecart.

7 minutes ago, Robin-hugh-blind said:

I'd have a bit of your di canio's passion right now, what's he up too?

I have no idea idea what he's upto since he upset everyone at Sunderland I think he went back to Italy but if he took over City evertyhing from top to bottom would change and it would certainly be interesting times! He had a win rate of 56.8 % here but I'm not sure any chairman would take a chance on him now plus he was expensive reportedly on £15k a week in league 2 

1 hour ago, Robin-hugh-blind said:

Hannes Wolf, a wild card I guess. But much more realistic than some suggestions on here. Young, relatively inexperienced. But affordable and our size of club would be the perfect place for him to make a name for himself

i will say, be careful what you wish for. There isn't much between play off hopeful and religation battle in the championship. I believe this is why SL is cautious when changing manager. 

I usually avoid this type of post like the plauge, but today and Blackburn just so frustrating. I honestly wouldn't mind losing both but it's the way we lost. Both games were there for the taking if it was just kept simple IMO. 

This is a blokes lively hood. And i very much appreciate what he has done for the club, but stability isn't success, it's just the gamble for success that we might not look back on so fondly if all goes tlts

LJ has made a name for himself :gaah:

Jokanović-

Prmotoed with Watford in 2015 and Fulham in 2018.

Left Maccabi Tel Aviv to join Fulham so obviously has the ambition to do well in England. If SL is just as ambitious, he would be able to persuade his to step away from his Qatari club and give him even more time than he needed for Watford or Fulham to build a promotion winning side.

How everyone can moan about the quality of football and they say they want Houghton is ridiculous. Be a bit more ambitious. 

6 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Jokanović-

Prmotoed with Watford in 2015 and Fulham in 2018.

Left Maccabi Tel Aviv to join Fulham so obviously has the ambition to do well in England. If SL is just as ambitious, he would be able to persuade his to step away from his Qatari club and give him even more time than he needed for Watford or Fulham to build a promotion winning side.

How everyone can moan about the quality of football and they say they want Houghton is ridiculous. Be a bit more ambitious. 

Decent shout.

10 hours ago, Natchfever said:

I don't trust the club to recruit well to be honest.

Clearly Chris Hughton who would though be looking for a better club than us

10 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Houghton is waiting for a Premier League job and has turned down other Championship sides.

10 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

I disagree. I think Hughton would fancy our squad and set-up

9 hours ago, lenred said:

Robins or Adkins realistically. Hughton a bit far fetched possibly but would be a big statement of intent. Wouldn’t be disappointed with Ainsworth. 

9 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

Hughton is the obvious answer,,, and is politically bright enough to work under the lansdown ashton regime.

Heard from a reliable person on Tuesday last week, that Hughton said he’d definitely be interested in the City job if it came up. 
This is from a non-city fan who knows the family. 

I’m not saying there’s anything in it, just that for those people who say Hughton wouldn’t come here, I think you’re wrong, he would. 

As for the wider LJ situ - I think time is up.  Wouldn’t be surprised to see something develop soon. 

11 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Think you need to listen to the ipswich fans on that one him and conner wore them down.

Indeed. I worked with an Ipswich fan- he was quite happy McCarthy had gone for the reasons you state. Until the untimely lockdown he was even quite enjoying League One, Lambert, some games won, younger players- a bit more hope- maybe come back stronger.

I'd be interested to see how McCarthy would do here, and I think LJ has run his race here but it may not be a terribly good watch...though I'd be open minded.

McCarthy had a solid body of work there but it is worth noting too that in summer 2018, something McCarthy fans never mention, is that McGoldrick left, Garner left, Waghorn left- as well as Webster and loanee in the form of Celina.

Would even he have kept them up with so many goals plus a reasonable number of assists out of the side? Unsure Webster was an integral player there.

I also question whether Webster would have flourished here in the same way under McCarthy- how cheaply we got him for from Ipswich makes me wonder!

Sl would be too intrested in getting compensation, to sack lj.

If any truth in the rumour, hes talking to burnley, fair few quid at stake there.

If Mark robins could influence the team, as a manager like he did as a player, id take him tomorrow.

Also that german fella that got huddersfield up.

He must have some good ideals.

7 hours ago, Robin-hugh-blind said:

Hannes Wolf, a wild card I guess. But much more realistic than some suggestions on here. Young, relatively inexperienced. But affordable and our size of club would be the perfect place for him to make a name for himself. 

i will say, be careful what you wish for. There isn't much between play off hopeful and religation battle in the championship. I believe this is why SL is cautious when changing manager. 

I usually avoid this type of post like the plauge, but today and Blackburn just so frustrating. I honestly wouldn't mind losing both but it's the way we lost. Both games were there for the taking if it was just kept simple IMO. 

This is a blokes lively hood. And i very much appreciate what he has done for the club, but stability isn't success, it's just the gamble for success that we might not look back on so fondly if all goes tlts

LJ is a sheep in wolf’s clothing.

If we want a different style of football then

Clough, Ainsworth or Jankovic.

Wages wise and style wise Houghton and McCarthy are light years away from what we need. ( unless fans want promotion at all costs)

Personally I don’t care so much for promotion I just want to see a bit of entertainment and win lose or draw come away from the Gate knowing that the team gave everything.

7 hours ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Think you need to listen to the ipswich fans on that one him and conner wore them down.

Listen to the Ipswich fans and then look at the table and what happened to the Tractor Boys after they decided they would be better off without MM!

Archived