IGNORED

Who do we want, who could we realistically get?

AppyDAZE

10 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

If they sacked him before the end of the season they'd put Macca in charge for the remaining games, and if he did ok might give him the job next season, ie a bit like when Millen was appointed. Can't see any 'big name' coming here and having to report to Ashton, and SL won't want anyone who's going to be difficult and potentially upset the applecart.

Apologies for singling your post out when there's lots of people saying this, but I think this viewpoint (which is quite widespread) does the club a disservice. 

If you're a manager of good pedigree with no connection to the area you'd see an up and coming club, modern stadium, new training ground on the horizon, clear (in theory anyway) plan regarding recruitment, not afraid to spend money, large city that's nice to live in, very patient chairman who'll give you a fair go.

I think we're a very intriguing option for lots of managers. Obviously because we're fans of the club we'll see ourselves more negatively, but compared to lots of other clubs we're an exciting proposition.

We haven't really done 'proper' recruitment of a manager for a while anyway. I get the impression Johnson was being groomed for this role for years and it wasn't as if we had a shortlist of 10 candidates. By all accounts Cotterill was Dawe's man and he too was a fairly straightforward appointment that happened fairly quickly. The last time I can remember us going through the motions of recruiting someone properly was McInnes and the club was in a much worse place at the time.

If the manager's position became available today and we welcomed applications (rather than appointing one of the board's 'men') I think we'd get some intriguing and high-profile applications.

8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Indeed. I worked with an Ipswich fan- he was quite happy McCarthy had gone for the reasons you state. Until the untimely lockdown he was even quite enjoying League One, Lambert, some games won, younger players- a bit more hope- maybe come back stronger.

I'd be interested to see how McCarthy would do here, and I think LJ has run his race here but it may not be a terribly good watch...though I'd be open minded.

McCarthy had a solid body of work there but it is worth noting too that in summer 2018, something McCarthy fans never mention, is that McGoldrick left, Garner left, Waghorn left- as well as Webster and loanee in the form of Celina.

Would even he have kept them up with so many goals plus a reasonable number of assists out of the side? Unsure Webster was an integral player there.

I also question whether Webster would have flourished here in the same way under McCarthy- how cheaply we got him for from Ipswich makes me wonder!

McCarthy’s “solid body of work” includes winning the Championship title twice! Got Ireland to the Euro playoffs too. Bit more than solid, I’d say?

They finished one place below us when he left (13th), the following season they were relegated & this season under Lambert nosedived after Xmas (sound familiar?) so start next season level with the Gas..

I know an Ipswich fan through a friend & he said McCarthy did an incredible job, Marcus Evans stopped giving any manager funds years ago & he said he was doing an amazing job to keep them competitive.

For those Warnock fans there are lots of similarities but Mick is 10 years younger & far less of a ***.

41 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Apologies for singling your post out when there's lots of people saying this, but I think this viewpoint (which is quite widespread) does the club a disservice. 

If you're a manager of good pedigree with no connection to the area you'd see an up and coming club, modern stadium, new training ground on the horizon, clear (in theory anyway) plan regarding recruitment, not afraid to spend money, large city that's nice to live in, very patient chairman who'll give you a fair go.

I think we're a very intriguing option for lots of managers. Obviously because we're fans of the club we'll see ourselves more negatively, but compared to lots of other clubs we're an exciting proposition.

We haven't really done 'proper' recruitment of a manager for a while anyway. I get the impression Johnson was being groomed for this role for years and it wasn't as if we had a shortlist of 10 candidates. By all accounts Cotterill was Dawe's man and he too was a fairly straightforward appointment that happened fairly quickly. The last time I can remember us going through the motions of recruiting someone properly was McInnes and the club was in a much worse place at the time.

If the manager's position became available today and we welcomed applications (rather than appointing one of the board's 'men') I think we'd get some intriguing and high-profile applications.

Trouble is the higher profile candidates will find it more difficult to fit in and conform to the 'system' at AG, SL will remember appointing Steve Coppell and how that ended. He's far more likely to get an up and coming coach as he did with LJ and McInness.

1 hour ago, ashton_fan said:

Trouble is the higher profile candidates will find it more difficult to fit in and conform to the 'system' at AG, SL will remember appointing Steve Coppell and how that ended. He's far more likely to get an up and coming coach as he did with LJ and McInness.

That is true. It may mean we'd have to look abroad (which is no bad thing). It does limit our options for established managers in this country though I think.

21 hours ago, xerox6060 said:

If and when .Jamie Mac would get it I reckon .

As others have said this would be a huge gamble given SL's penchant to trust the deputy in the past and it going miserably wrong. I don't think he would make that mistake again.

20 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

Exclusive. Steve Gerrard leaves big club in shit league. To takeover at Championship Bristol City. :laughcont:

He would bring that mouthie scouser winger with him so its a no from me.

20 hours ago, Natchfever said:

Van Bommel too strong a character for the owner methinks.

Time Jon L stepped up to the plate and made the decision and for him, Van Bommel is a good choice; not a shrinking violet but well into developing youth. Someone the players would really look up to. Cost a fair packet but SL has tried this route before with Copout... he needs to be brave and do it again if he truly wants the Premier League because it is clearly not working with Lee and Co.

Unfortunately I feel that this thread is the opposite of a typical transfer forum thread - ie 20 pages and then the player doesn’t sign. With this, we’ll get 20 pages of suggestions and Johnson stays. 

20 hours ago, IAmNick said:

As a realistic name, it's Paul Cook for me.

Has good lower league experience of winning - took Chesterfield up from L2 in his second year as champions, and then got them into the L1 playoffs which was no mean feat.

Went to Portsmouth, and got them promoted as champions from L2.

Then Wigan out of L1 as champions, and now has them team doing decently, and has steered them to mid table having been bottom and expected to go down by many just a few months ago. Wigan play reasonable football too, considering the quality and money he has at his disposal.

And he's a hard bastard that doesn't mind ripping heads off. Just ask Guardiola. I think he's a good shout. 

5 hours ago, GrahamC said:

McCarthy’s “solid body of work” includes winning the Championship title twice! Got Ireland to the Euro playoffs too. Bit more than solid, I’d say?

They finished one place below us when he left (13th), the following season they were relegated & this season under Lambert nosedived after Xmas (sound familiar?) so start next season level with the Gas..

I know an Ipswich fan through a friend & he said McCarthy did an incredible job, Marcus Evans stopped giving any manager funds years ago & he said he was doing an amazing job to keep them competitive.

For those Warnock fans there are lots of similarities but Mick is 10 years younger & far less of a ***.

Okay maybe I understated it a bit. Evans clearly a ****.

My question to you is, would McCarthy have still kept them up in 2018/19 sans McGoldrick, Garner and of course Waghorn. Plus Webster and Celina- the number of goals they chipped in and assists makes me wonder...check the stats.

Pop, all very good comments about Mick. Brings it home nicely. You are hired. 

p.s. my sincere apologies to Grahma C. Pop; you are fired. Graham in the hot seat to decide our next gaffer. Mick is a good shout. Imagine what he could do with the cash Lee has had... boy it does not bear thinking about lest i get depressed. 

p.p.s. but could he get on with Ashton?

24 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Pop, all very good comments about Mick. Brings it home nicely. You are hired. 

p.s. my sincere apologies to Grahma C. Pop; you are fired. Graham in the hot seat to decide our next gaffer. Mick is a good shout. Imagine what he could do with the cash Lee has had... boy it does not bear thinking about lest i get depressed. 

p.p.s. but could he get on with Ashton?

Mick’s not great at bullshit bingo, can’t see him getting on to well with Ashton.

Robbie Fowler just became available. Been released by a grammatically dubious team from Australia called "Brisbane Roar". Apparently been linked to the Birmingham job (seemingly a very long list for that one) but maybe worth a look?

No idea of his credentials, just throwing another name into the ring.

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Robbie Fowler just became available. Been released by a grammatically dubious team from Australia called "Brisbane Roar". Apparently been linked to the Birmingham job (seemingly a very long list for that one) but maybe worth a look?

No idea of his credentials, just throwing another name into the ring.

How is that grammatically dubious? 

10 minutes ago, Redpool said:

If I can dream a little bit and have my head in the clouds.

If Brentford fail to go to. Could we put together a very good pay package for Thomas Frank and his coaching team please.

IMO you'd be disappointed. The Brentford project has been years in the making and is so much more than just a good coach and staff. 8 years of Benham's ownership, coupled with formal relationships with clubs like with Midtjylland and underlying it all is Benham's own software and philosophy. You cannot simply remove Frank and his coaching staff from that set up and expect them to instantly elevate us to the top 6.

Brentford are where they are thanks to everything that they have done over the past 8 years. 

2 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

How is that grammatically dubious? 

Surely it should be "Brisbane Roars" or "Brisbane will Roar" or "Brisbane can Roar". It's odd to use it this way. But anyway, let's not derail the thread.

25 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

IMO you'd be disappointed. The Brentford project has been years in the making and is so much more than just a good coach and staff. 8 years of Benham's ownership, coupled with formal relationships with clubs like with Midtjylland and underlying it all is Benham's own software and philosophy. You cannot simply remove Frank and his coaching staff from that set up and expect them to instantly elevate us to the top 6.

Brentford are where they are thanks to everything that they have done over the past 8 years. 

Surely it should be "Brisbane Roars" or "Brisbane will Roar" or "Brisbane can Roar". It's odd to use it this way. But anyway, let's not derail the thread.

Oh I see, yeah. I suppose it's a bit like Chicago Sting

7 hours ago, Lez said:

In terms of interventions yours is right up there as the most pointless.

I disagree - people are discussing Mark Robins on here as a possible replacement for LJ - you added to the debate with a totally inaccurate statement saying that Robins had been ‘sacked two years ago’ - that is untrue, he’s had a very successful last few years as boss at Coventry City. Anyone reading your inaccuracies would probably dismiss Robins as a potential managerial candidate if they believed he’d ‘been sacked two years ago’ as it suggests he’s recently been a poor team manager. 

So I just thought I’d add fact to the discussion rather than your fiction so people can take a balanced view on his suitability as a possible LJ replacement ...

48 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I disagree - people are discussing Mark Robins on here as a possible replacement for LJ - you added to the debate with a totally inaccurate statement saying that Robins had been ‘sacked two years ago’ - that is untrue, he’s had a very successful last few years as boss at Coventry City. Anyone reading your inaccuracies would probably dismiss Robins as a potential managerial candidate if they believed he’d ‘been sacked two years ago’ as it suggests he’s recently been a poor team manager. 

So I just thought I’d add fact to the discussion rather than your fiction so people can take a balanced view on his suitability as a possible LJ replacement ...

Please get out more.

9 hours ago, BS13 Robin said:

It seems to me that we cant have Chris Hughton as manager because so many people cant spell his name .............................................unless they want Roy Houghton,sorry guys couldnt resist!!

Oooops i spelt that wrong as well i meant Ray Houghton!!!!

They will more than likely promote from within with either DH or JM taking over. There was an interview previously that pretty much said that.  The club believe they have the right structure and don’t want anyone coming in who is going to want to rip this up and start something new.

2 minutes ago, Red Billy said:

They will more than likely promote from within with either DH or JM taking over. There was an interview previously that pretty much said that.  The club believe they have the right structure and don’t want anyone coming in who is going to want to rip this up and start something new.

So the clubs answer is akin to rearranging the deckchairs on the titanic?

Archived