IGNORED

Who do we want, who could we realistically get?

AppyDAZE

Albert Calades has just been fired by Valencia. 

He's played for Real Madrid and Barcelona. 

He's been assistant for Spain and Real Madrid.

He was gaffer at Valencia for 9 months, and leaves them and their fickle owner in 8th.

Maybe, just maybe, he wants to try life in England....

16 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Happy. Mick McCarthy or Neil Warnock

Every time I see a post like this my jaw hits the floor.  Do you know what kind of football McCarthy and Warnock play?  Surely you’ve seen their teams play?  And you’d be happy for us to play like that?  Or do you think Warnock (at 71) or McCarthy (at 61) are suddenly going to discover expansive attacking football?  I can just about get the occasional shout for Hughton but please someone explain to me why they’d be happy with Warnock?

7 minutes ago, mozo said:

He was gaffer at Valencia for 9 months, and leaves them and their fickle owner in 8th.

Can't see him coming just to be LJ's number 2! :whistle2:

16 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Every time I see a post like this my jaw hits the floor.  Do you know what kind of football McCarthy and Warnock play?  Surely you’ve seen their teams play?  And you’d be happy for us to play like that?  Or do you think Warnock (at 71) or McCarthy (at 61) are suddenly going to discover expansive attacking football?  I can just about get the occasional shout for Hughton but please someone explain to me why they’d be happy with Warnock?

He's a manager that gets respect from his players. May not be champagne football but it's effective...gets results. Oh and yes, has managed teams to promotion. Three things our club desperately need.

32 minutes ago, mozo said:

What is it about his managerial style you'd like? 1.44 points per game at Valencia having them in 8th is poor for a club like them, favours 442 which LJ gets criticised for using and as for being an assistant at Real Madrid Paul Clement didn't work out over here and he had a great CV as an assistant, obviously doesn't apply to all but the saying of being a great number 2 doesn't necessarily translate to being a good number 1. 

34 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Are we a club that want promotion? Are McCarthy and Warnock proven at this level to deliver promotion if given the tools available? You work it out.

6 minutes ago, bris red said:

Are we a club that want promotion? Are McCarthy and Warnock proven at this level to deliver promotion if given the tools available? You work it out.

For me its not really about promotion. Whilst id love to watch the big clubs at the gate we would be the whipping boys of the Prem. For me its more about the style of football - i pay a good 2 grand a year all in to be entertained. I would want to watch Mick McCarthy or Colin's football

5 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

For me its not really about promotion. Whilst id love to watch the big clubs at the gate we would be the whipping boys of the Prem. For me its more about the style of football - i pay a good 2 grand a year all in to be entertained. I would want to watch Mick McCarthy or Colin's football

Paul Cook would be my favoured choice with the likes of Carvahal Wagner if they were available. Big fan of the Swansea coach but he wont be leaving anytime soon.

36 minutes ago, hodge said:

What is it about his managerial style you'd like? 1.44 points per game at Valencia having them in 8th is poor for a club like them, favours 442 which LJ gets criticised for using and as for being an assistant at Real Madrid Paul Clement didn't work out over here and he had a great CV as an assistant, obviously doesn't apply to all but the saying of being a great number 2 doesn't necessarily translate to being a good number 1. 

What do I like about Albert Celades' managerial style? Well I'm glad you asked...

One moment while I open Wikipedia...

Well as we all know, he replaced Marcelino García Toral who was popular with the players and therefore it was an uphill battle for our pal Albert. 

*checks Wikipedia again*

He was doing pretty well til February... uhhh...

Seriously though, I just saw that a bloke with good playing and coaching pedigree and probably well connected in the game became available. He could be good or could be rubbish. 

I've got no issue with 4-4-2 by the way.

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

I doubt they would play all the young talent coming through though.

And no guarantee they would get us promoted. Might really struggle.

Just to play devil's advocate... but do we?

We played 21 players in the last 2 games, and how many came through our academy - just Vyner coming on at 89m?

If you're counting spending millions on young players part of our pathway (blocking it more like!) then maybe...

7 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Just to play devil's advocate... but do we?

We played 21 players in the last 2 games, and how many came through our academy - just Vyner coming on at 89m?

If you're counting spending millions on young players part of our pathway (blocking it more like!) then maybe...

That's to do with our loan policy though, we'd rather our academy players (and purchased youngsters) play as much as possible before they're ready for a first team role, Joe Morrell could easily have been kept around and played in perhaps 20 something games this season with bench appearances etc would that have been better for him then a full season of league 1? Max could have been #2 is that better for him? 

Whereas if we just didn't send our lads out on loan and had strong 23's team probably more than a few would have picked up 1st team appearances here and there.

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

No I don't think we do. And that's one of the reasons to get rid of LJ.

I don't believe LJ likes young players. Much more interested in experienced players he can trust. 

I've just posted about our loan policy, LJ's switch to preferring experienced players seems to have evolved along with the club's ambition, playing youngsters, well that's fine when you're aiming for mid table and stability but aiming for top 6 and having to use younger players who perhaps aren't ready makes it tougher, I'm sure many would question why we were playing young players who weren't ready if we weren't getting results, they then get left out and because of current loan rules couldn't move anywhere until Jan/next season. Its a lot tougher for managers now they can't just send a player to a club for a month or two to get some game time. We sacrifice being able to give them some game time here so they can get a lot elsewhere and develop.

11 minutes ago, hodge said:

That's to do with our loan policy though, we'd rather our academy players (and purchased youngsters) play as much as possible before they're ready for a first team role, Joe Morrell could easily have been kept around and played in perhaps 20 something games this season with bench appearances etc would that have been better for him then a full season of league 1? Max could have been #2 is that better for him? 

Whereas if we just didn't send our lads out on loan and had strong 23's team probably more than a few would have picked up 1st team appearances here and there.

Yeah that's fair. Using "they wont play youngsters" though as a negative for some names has a slight caveat for me in that many of ours aren't our academy prospects breaking through, but in fact what I'd call an "experienced" youngster we've bought for a few million. I guess what I'm saying is that for me I'm not sure "playing youngsters" is a trait I'd associate with our current setup/philosophy.

Do we play young players? Sure. Are they what I'd consider "youngsters" - either raw, or broken through from our academy? Not really. In fact I'd argue in some ways we in fact block those players with purchases like Massengo, however good they make become. More young academy players on the bench (or backup to the bench) would be fine by me, and I'd be more understanding if they didn't perform then as well. In that case, I'd have preferred to have Joe on the bench than Massengo.

But has Joe Morrell been blocked by Walsh (a £1m+ purchase), who has in turn been blocked by Massengo (a much more expensive purchase)? All "youngsters" but clearly don't fit in the same category, for me anyway.

I don't know how it works, but I'd expect people could make arguments for both sides about them being in and around the first 11 and squad but not playing much vs out on loan getting game time, but in a different environment/system/level.

2 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

I don't know how it works, but I'd expect people could make arguments for both sides about them being in and around the first 11 and squad but not playing much vs out on loan getting game time, but in a different environment/system/level.

Tinnion has been quoted as saying it can be more beneficial for players to drop a level but play more than to get less game time at a higher level, almost exactly fits Morrell and Walsh this season by the looks of it

2 hours ago, bris red said:

When did McCarthy last win promotion from the championship ???

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

No I don't think we do. And that's one of the reasons to get rid of LJ.

I don't believe LJ likes young players. Much more interested in experienced players he can trust. 

Not sure thats fair. Lloyd Kelly played a bit. JD is England Under 21 player. HNM is 18 and played loads. Not to mention Bobby Reid, Taylor Moore etc etc. Josh Brownhill is also only 24

7 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

When did McCarthy last win promotion from the championship ???

As i said, when McCarthy is given the tools he delivers at this level. He was working on a horrendously tight budget at Ipswich and whilst the football was not necessarily the best he still got them in the play-offs in his tenure, something Lee once again is looking to be falling way short of with a budget way in excess of what McCarthy had to spend on players at Ipswich.

For the record McCarthy wouldn’t be my first choice but he would definitely be on my shortlist.. I honestly think with money to spend he would have us seriously challenging.

On 29/06/2020 at 06:32, Sir Geoff said:

If we want a different style of football then

Clough, Ainsworth or Jankovic.

Wages wise and style wise Houghton and McCarthy are light years away from what we need. ( unless fans want promotion at all costs)

Personally I don’t care so much for promotion I just want to see a bit of entertainment and win lose or draw come away from the Gate knowing that the team gave everything.

Amen.

3 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Promotion may not be for you but after over 30 years out of the top flight and year in year out having to see clubs like Brentford over take us many people are starting to get ****** off..!

22 hours ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Think go for a manager that can attract good players weve had enough of nobodys someone to put us on the map.

We have attracted good players. It's nothing to do with who is the manager. Or at least it wasn't. The longer Johnson goes on the harder that will get.

3 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Just out of interest when was the last time you were entertained on a regular basis? 3 years ago? Game after game where you could stick a Toolstation keeper in goal for the opposition because we create so little. Our only threat is set pieces......sounds like the teams Colin puts out except his teams can defend along with it!!

I agree totally with the guy who said give Mad Mick and Terry Connor the tools and they would get us top 6. People really are missing how well he did on literally two bob at Ipswich. Look at them now.

Wouldn't be my first choice but neither is the current incumbent by a long stretch.

4 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Do you know what kind of football Lee Johnson plays?

4 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I have and they play a Lee Johnson style, except their teams play with passion, grit and are effective and way better than the god awful excuse for football that Johnson is producing

I’d hate to see either of those managing our club, but I’d honestly prefer McCarthy over Johnson’s dross tbh.

Hope it doesn’t come to that though, as I’d like to think we set our sights higher.

Archived