IGNORED

Who do we want, who could we realistically get?

AppyDAZE

TBH, many of the names mentioned don't set the pulse running (Michelle Keegan apart ?), good coached they may be.

IF we could interest them, Hughton, Jokanovic and Van Bommel certainly tick all the boxes IMHO but could we get them and would they work in the current set up?

as an aside, even in the unlikely, but most welcome, event that we win tonight, nothing changes for me. I think he's had enough time and resources to improve us and it's time for a change. Lose tonight and the distant dream of play offs has gone so that makes me think the time for change is perfect.

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I’ll bite again - Redknapp hasn’t left any of his clubs bankrupt and in his two spells at Pompey he spent less on buying players than he recouped in selling players - he also wasn’t involved in the players’ salary negotiations. He won the FA Cup for them, took them into Europe in the UEFA Cup and took them to a ninth placed finish in the premier league ... he was also awarded The Freedom of Portsmouth shortly after he left - not many towns would bestow that honour on someone who had left their football club bankrupt...

At Birmingham he did however bring in 14 players in one window, yes its weak from the board but irresponsible by Redknapp he should know bringing in that many players can't be financially stable for the club. He wouldn't get a weak reaction from SL/MA here and would probably then get annoyed about not being able to bring in more players.

16 hours ago, Harry said:

Paul Cook getting a lot of respect these days.  
I remember when I was scouting, and I watched his Chesterfield team back in 12/13, 13/14 and 14/15. 
I actually really loved watching that team. I had a personal scouting fave of mine whom I loved watching, Tendayi Darikwa. They had a quality creative player in Jay O’Shea, who was used correctly and effectively. They had steel with Liam Cooper at CB. 

In fact, the first thing that Cook did when he took over was to bring Liam Cooper (now at Leeds) in on loan. He then quickly followed that up with the loaning of O’Shea and Connor Townsend (now at West Brom). They were his first signings - an eye for talent or what?? 

Lovely team to watch that Chesterfield 12/13 13/14 side. 

The next season he brought in Sam Morsy - proper solid DM, Eion Doyle, who he’d worked with at Sligo, then solidified further with signings like Ian Evatt, Ritchie Humphreys, Gary Roberts - proper good signings for the level, no frills, players who just give their all. Roberts followed him to Portsmouth and to Wigan. Morsy also at Wigan now too. 

He built a proper solid team, but one that played good football - I scouted them loads at that time - solid spine (Cooper/Evatt/Morsy/Roberts) then attacking flair with Darikwa, O’Shea, Doyle.

They won the league. 

The next season, he brought in Sam Clucas, Daniel Johnson on loan, Mark Duffy (helped Sheff U to promotion last year). 
He got them to the League One playoffs. 

I’ve been watching Cook ever since those days. He can certainly spot a player. 

He went to Portsmouth and brought in Matt Clarke (the now highly rated Brighton CB), Enda Stevens & Kieron Freeman (both of whom helped Sheff U to the Prem), Kal Naismith (now with him again at Wigan), Jayden Stockley (now at PNE).  
They won the league the next year. 

He then moved to Wigan. Signed Chey Dunkley, Gavin Massey, Ivan Toney, Lee Evans, Jay Fulton, Christian Walton. Got promoted. 
Next season he signs Kipre, Windass, Garner, Pilkington - solid, no frills signings. He also loaned in Reece James, Antonee Robinson, Dan Burn. 
Followed up this season with Joe Williams, Jamal Lowe, Kieron Dowell. 

It’s safe to say that Paul Cook can spot a player. He also signs players that fit into his style. He has 3 promotions with 3 different clubs. 
Perhaps I just like him because he has a similar liking to players as I do. Again, when I was scouting, I also shortlisted many of the players he signed (Darikwa (well he didn’t sign him but gave him his chance), Cooper, O’Shea, Morsy, Evans, Johnson, Stevens, Naismith, Stockley, Windass, Dunkley, Toney, Fulton, Walton). 

I’d take Paul Cook here, with his own remit for recruitment, in a heartbeat. 

Nice one Harr ??

I’ve been mentioning him for a while, glad you’d given more ammo with detailed recruitment successes.  I just liked the way his sides played, and the way he talks too.

I liked him as a player, nice kept foot....Tranmere, Wolves and Burnley from memory (and others too).

4 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

“No recent record...” ???!!! So you’re just totally dismissing the incredible job Mick McCarthy did at Ipswich then? In the six years he was there he had a total of £5 million to spend on transfers -  less than £1 million per season yet he kept them competitive in the 5th best division in the world.

Not many would have done the job he did under those severe financial restraints - to dismiss his time at Ipswich with “no recent record” is very disingenuous ... 

Distinctly average for past decade + he’s a miserable sod. 

We’re complaining about mid table mediocrity & boring football - sounds like Ipswich to me.

3 minutes ago, Red Alert said:

We’re complaining about mid table mediocrity & boring football - sounds like Ipswich to me.

Distinctly average for the past decade? 

He has just got Ireland to the Euro playoffs in a group that included both Switzerland & Denmark. 

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Distinctly average for the past decade? 

He has just got Ireland to the Euro playoffs in a group that included both Switzerland & Denmark. 

Fair enough apart from euro qualifiers then ?

Can he get himself up for the day in day out management of a championship team?

Ipswich we’re literally the dullest mid-table team

2 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Arousal, arousal, that's our problem already according to LJ.

She's bloody gorgeous so they would deffo be 'aroused'! 

I hope you aren't implying that none of our players could be LGBTQ+      ;)

Triggered GIFs | Tenor

2 hours ago, Red Alert said:

As I said, in his six year stint at Ipswich Mick M had less than one million pounds per season to spend on transfer fees when buying players ... and he kept them competitive in the championship, not many managers could have achieved that ... “distinctly average”? Harsh, unfair and incorrect in my opinion ... it’s very likely that Mick would have been much more successful if he’d had the money that LJ has been allowed to spend on players ...

3 hours ago, hodge said:

At Birmingham he did however bring in 14 players in one window, yes its weak from the board but irresponsible by Redknapp he should know bringing in that many players can't be financially stable for the club. He wouldn't get a weak reaction from SL/MA here and would probably then get annoyed about not being able to bring in more players.

Which window was that? The start of the 2017/2018 season? Does that include loan signings? Sorry to bombard you with questions!

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Which window was that? The start of the 2017/2018 season? Does that include loan signings? Sorry to bombard you with questions!

Yeah 17/18 first window in charge I believe and 3 maybe 4 loan signings, pretty sure it was double figures for permanent signings

2 minutes ago, hodge said:

Yeah 17/18 first window in charge I believe and 3 maybe 4 loan signings, pretty sure it was double figures for permanent signings

Just had a quick peek around - ‘Wiki’ says they signed 9 players and 3 of them were ‘free signings’ - and they took 5 players on loan, including a certain Liam Walsh. ‘Transfermkt’ says pretty much the same with a few differences. 

What we need now (assuming LJ is toast) is someone to excite and unite the fans. The last thing we need is a devisive appointment (like Mick McCarthy) who would split the fanbase, and more than likely, the players. Let's take our time with this one and get it right. Let's break the bank if necessary to get someone we can all support and believe in. Maybe Eddie Howe will be looking for work very soon? This is the sort of calibre we should be looking at!

1 minute ago, Scrumpylegs said:

What we need now (assuming LJ is toast) is someone to excite and unite the fans. The last thing we need is a devisive appointment (like Mick McCarthy) who would split the fanbase, and more than likely, the players. Let's take our time with this one and get it right. Let's break the bank if necessary to get someone we can all support and believe in. Maybe Eddie Howe will be looking for work very soon? This is the sort of calibre we should be looking at!

I thought about Howe just now actually, but then realism hit home and the fact he kept Bournemouth in the premier for 5 seasons for me means he will probably be considered for the next lower prem team availability 

2 minutes ago, Scrumpylegs said:

Can see him being next West Ham manager

I think Sol Campbell would be a good shout. Top centre back for Arsenal and England and did miracles with Macclesfield. Big guy, intelligent, ambitious who would get respect from players. Also open doors to get players from the top division. 

9 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

“No recent record...” ???!!! So you’re just totally dismissing the incredible job Mick McCarthy did at Ipswich then? In the six years he was there he had a total of £5 million to spend on transfers -  less than £1 million per season yet he kept them competitive in the 5th best division in the world.

Not many would have done the job he did under those severe financial restraints - to dismiss his time at Ipswich with “no recent record” is very disingenuous ... 

I was replying to another poster who was citing his promotions....the latest of which was 10 yrs ago, thus me saying why not give Harry Basset a call cos if your only criteria is promotion then he has loads of them in his CV.

Personally I do not want a dinosaur like McCarthy and if you ask Ipswich fans about his record that you are so impressed with then they couldnt wait to get rid due to his boring football (Yes I know where they are now.........and who knows if we make a change we may join them next year).

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

I was replying to another poster who was citing his promotions....the latest of which was 10 yrs ago, thus me saying why not give Harry Basset a call cos if your only criteria is promotion then he has loads of them in his CV.

Personally I do not want a dinosaur like McCarthy and if you ask Ipswich fans about his record that you are so impressed with then they couldnt wait to get rid due to his boring football (Yes I know where they are now.........and who knows if we make a change we may join them next year).

You were replying to me ... you asked when Mick last won promotion from the championship and I replied to you telling you how and when he took Sunderland into the premier league as champions of the championship and how he took Wolves into the premier league as champions of the championship. You replied saying ‘nothing recent then’ so I replied to you again to highlight his ‘recent’ record. I still maintain that Mick’s record at Ipswich during the six years he was there was incredible due to the severe financial restraints under which he had to work. He had LESS than £1m per season to spend on transfer fees when signing players for Ipswich, yet he kept them competitive in this tough division for six years. Which other managers do you think could have achieved that? And you obviously aren’t aware about how he did in his last job which ended in April 2020 due to the global pandemic ... incidentally, why do you describe an experienced, proven, successful manager as a ‘dinosaur’ ? He’s 17 years younger than Sir Alex, 11 years younger than Roy Hodgson and 10 years younger than Neil Warnock ...

3 hours ago, Scrumpylegs said:

I don’t think I’ve ever known an appointment as City manager split the fan base as much as LJ’s appointment did and has ... I don’t think the players would be ‘split’ by Mick McCarthy being brought in. He would tell them straight what he expects from them and there would be no confusing textbook buzzwords or any of the other unintelligible bollox that LJ comes out with - the players would respond to that and would give him everything in my opinion ... because as soon as they glanced at his CV they’d realise he is due big respect as he’s an experienced, proven, successful winner ...

17 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

So no recent record then.... surprised Harry Basset hasn’t been mentioned he’s got more than a few promotions on his cv..

Come on do we really want an old dinosaur off the managerial merry go round.

Nigel Clough has a few promotions including a League Cup semi final plays entertaining football is a name that would attract players currently out of work and could start Thursday morning.

“Old dinosaur” ? Mick McCarthy is 61 and full of experience and knowledge, he knows how to get teams out of this league and has experience at the higher level as well. Nigel Clough is 54! not much younger than an old dinosaur?‍♂️!!! 

Don’t get me wrong, Ive nothing against Nigel Clough, and he would probably do a decent job, but Mick McCarthy ain’t no dinosaur. 

The team at the top of the Championship have a manager who is 64!

4 hours ago, MC RISK77 said:

I thought about Howe just now actually, but then realism hit home and the fact he kept Bournemouth in the premier for 5 seasons for me means he will probably be considered for the next lower prem team availability 

Can see him being next West Ham manager

I was wondering if West Ham would go for Dyche if he leaves Burnley

Have someone who has won honours as a player. International, played in Europe. Big trophy winner, not Freight-Rover stuff.

Mean streak.

Roy Keane or Steve Gerard.

Might focus a few minds, and sort out who wants to play to win or just go through the motions.

SL would have to commit to a serious attempt at going up though - and spending when if we get there.

No more hobby SL - shit or get off the pot.

Keane wouldn't be popular, but the 'old boys comfy club' would certainly be gone - and sharpish.

Joey Barton as assistant!  ?️????️

To those who are angry with McCarthy being called a Dinosaur, whilst I don't have anything against his age, he has had a reputation (maybe an unfair one) for old fashioned football that has displeased fans. I couldn't see him playing some of the Palmers, Walshs and Eliassons of the squad. He has a known love for workhorses and players that can run. Not saying there is anything too wrong with that though.

Having said that whilst 18 months ago I would have massively rubbished the idea of someone like McCarthy or Cook. Ive 180'd and am quite keen on the idea of both of them as they know how to work within a tight budget. We will undoubtedly need someone who can do this post covid-19. Furthermore, I think our squad is actually very good and I would much rather a manager come in and work with what we have rather than someone with a bigger name come in and demand a new squad. I really don't want to see another 3 windows where all the personnel change.

It should also be noted that both McCarthy and Cook also have great reputations for getting the best out of young/academy players. Something Johnson has failed to do IMO.

9 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

“Old dinosaur” ? Mick McCarthy is 61 and full of experience and knowledge, he knows how to get teams out of this league and has experience at the higher level as well. Nigel Clough is 54! not much younger than an old dinosaur?‍♂️!!! 

Don’t get me wrong, Ive nothing against Nigel Clough, and he would probably do a decent job, but Mick McCarthy ain’t no dinosaur. 

The team at the top of the Championship have a manager who is 64!

Also worth noting that Mick McCarthy is the same age as Chris Hughton  - yet lots of people seem to be dismissing Big Mick as a dinosaur but clamouring for Chris...

18 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

TBH, many of the names mentioned don't set the pulse running (Michelle Keegan apart ?), good coached they may be.

IF we could interest them, Hughton, Jokanovic and Van Bommel certainly tick all the boxes IMHO but could we get them and would they work in the current set up?

as an aside, even in the unlikely, but most welcome, event that we win tonight, nothing changes for me. I think he's had enough time and resources to improve us and it's time for a change. Lose tonight and the distant dream of play offs has gone so that makes me think the time for change is perfect.

The whole "don't set pulses running" thing is lost on me, LJ flatlines my pulse right now and certainly didn't set it running when he was announced. Cotterell didn't set a lot of pulses running either and he got us a title.

It's not about getting pulses running, it's about finding the right man for the job. LJ isn't that man, which means any appointment with a degree of focusing on who could better our position is a plus for me. 

Archived