Who do we want, who could we realistically get?

4 hours ago, MC RISK77 said:

I thought about Howe just now actually, but then realism hit home and the fact he kept Bournemouth in the premier for 5 seasons for me means he will probably be considered for the next lower prem team availability 

Can see him being next West Ham manager

I was wondering if West Ham would go for Dyche if he leaves Burnley

Have someone who has won honours as a player. International, played in Europe. Big trophy winner, not Freight-Rover stuff.

Mean streak.

Roy Keane or Steve Gerard.

Might focus a few minds, and sort out who wants to play to win or just go through the motions.

SL would have to commit to a serious attempt at going up though - and spending when if we get there.

No more hobby SL - shit or get off the pot.

Keane wouldn't be popular, but the 'old boys comfy club' would certainly be gone - and sharpish.

Joey Barton as assistant!  🗯️👊👊👊🗯️

To those who are angry with McCarthy being called a Dinosaur, whilst I don't have anything against his age, he has had a reputation (maybe an unfair one) for old fashioned football that has displeased fans. I couldn't see him playing some of the Palmers, Walshs and Eliassons of the squad. He has a known love for workhorses and players that can run. Not saying there is anything too wrong with that though.

Having said that whilst 18 months ago I would have massively rubbished the idea of someone like McCarthy or Cook. Ive 180'd and am quite keen on the idea of both of them as they know how to work within a tight budget. We will undoubtedly need someone who can do this post covid-19. Furthermore, I think our squad is actually very good and I would much rather a manager come in and work with what we have rather than someone with a bigger name come in and demand a new squad. I really don't want to see another 3 windows where all the personnel change.

It should also be noted that both McCarthy and Cook also have great reputations for getting the best out of young/academy players. Something Johnson has failed to do IMO.

9 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

“Old dinosaur” ? Mick McCarthy is 61 and full of experience and knowledge, he knows how to get teams out of this league and has experience at the higher level as well. Nigel Clough is 54! not much younger than an old dinosaur🤷‍♂️!!! 

Don’t get me wrong, Ive nothing against Nigel Clough, and he would probably do a decent job, but Mick McCarthy ain’t no dinosaur. 

The team at the top of the Championship have a manager who is 64!

Also worth noting that Mick McCarthy is the same age as Chris Hughton  - yet lots of people seem to be dismissing Big Mick as a dinosaur but clamouring for Chris...

Edited by BS4 on Tour...
  • Like 1
18 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

TBH, many of the names mentioned don't set the pulse running (Michelle Keegan apart 😍), good coached they may be.

IF we could interest them, Hughton, Jokanovic and Van Bommel certainly tick all the boxes IMHO but could we get them and would they work in the current set up?

as an aside, even in the unlikely, but most welcome, event that we win tonight, nothing changes for me. I think he's had enough time and resources to improve us and it's time for a change. Lose tonight and the distant dream of play offs has gone so that makes me think the time for change is perfect.

The whole "don't set pulses running" thing is lost on me, LJ flatlines my pulse right now and certainly didn't set it running when he was announced. Cotterell didn't set a lot of pulses running either and he got us a title.

It's not about getting pulses running, it's about finding the right man for the job. LJ isn't that man, which means any appointment with a degree of focusing on who could better our position is a plus for me. 

43 minutes ago, Spike said:

The whole "don't set pulses running" thing is lost on me, LJ flatlines my pulse right now and certainly didn't set it running when he was announced. Cotterell didn't set a lot of pulses running either and he got us a title.

It's not about getting pulses running, it's about finding the right man for the job. LJ isn't that man, which means any appointment with a degree of focusing on who could better our position is a plus for me. 

Fair comment Spike.

10 minutes ago, Eddie Notgetinya said:

The Robins debate is on about 1000 other threads 

You wouldn't believe the number of new threads people have created over the past few days going over and over the same topics