Jump to content

Who do we want, who could we realistically get?


Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Robin-hugh-blind said:

Hannes Wolf, a wild card I guess. But much more realistic than some suggestions on here. Young, relatively inexperienced. But affordable and our size of club would be the perfect place for him to make a name for himself. 

i will say, be careful what you wish for. There isn't much between play off hopeful and religation battle in the championship. I believe this is why SL is cautious when changing manager. 

I usually avoid this type of post like the plauge, but today and Blackburn just so frustrating. I honestly wouldn't mind losing both but it's the way we lost. Both games were there for the taking if it was just kept simple IMO. 

This is a blokes lively hood. And i very much appreciate what he has done for the club, but stability isn't success, it's just the gamble for success that we might not look back on so fondly if all goes tlts

 

LJ is a sheep in wolf’s clothing.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If we want a different style of football then

Clough, Ainsworth or Jankovic.

Wages wise and style wise Houghton and McCarthy are light years away from what we need. ( unless fans want promotion at all costs)

Personally I don’t care so much for promotion I just want to see a bit of entertainment and win lose or draw come away from the Gate knowing that the team gave everything.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Think you need to listen to the ipswich fans on that one him and conner wore them down.

Listen to the Ipswich fans and then look at the table and what happened to the Tractor Boys after they decided they would be better off without MM!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

If they sacked him before the end of the season they'd put Macca in charge for the remaining games, and if he did ok might give him the job next season, ie a bit like when Millen was appointed. Can't see any 'big name' coming here and having to report to Ashton, and SL won't want anyone who's going to be difficult and potentially upset the applecart.

Apologies for singling your post out when there's lots of people saying this, but I think this viewpoint (which is quite widespread) does the club a disservice. 

If you're a manager of good pedigree with no connection to the area you'd see an up and coming club, modern stadium, new training ground on the horizon, clear (in theory anyway) plan regarding recruitment, not afraid to spend money, large city that's nice to live in, very patient chairman who'll give you a fair go.

I think we're a very intriguing option for lots of managers. Obviously because we're fans of the club we'll see ourselves more negatively, but compared to lots of other clubs we're an exciting proposition.

We haven't really done 'proper' recruitment of a manager for a while anyway. I get the impression Johnson was being groomed for this role for years and it wasn't as if we had a shortlist of 10 candidates. By all accounts Cotterill was Dawe's man and he too was a fairly straightforward appointment that happened fairly quickly. The last time I can remember us going through the motions of recruiting someone properly was McInnes and the club was in a much worse place at the time.

If the manager's position became available today and we welcomed applications (rather than appointing one of the board's 'men') I think we'd get some intriguing and high-profile applications.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Indeed. I worked with an Ipswich fan- he was quite happy McCarthy had gone for the reasons you state. Until the untimely lockdown he was even quite enjoying League One, Lambert, some games won, younger players- a bit more hope- maybe come back stronger.

I'd be interested to see how McCarthy would do here, and I think LJ has run his race here but it may not be a terribly good watch...though I'd be open minded.

McCarthy had a solid body of work there but it is worth noting too that in summer 2018, something McCarthy fans never mention, is that McGoldrick left, Garner left, Waghorn left- as well as Webster and loanee in the form of Celina.

Would even he have kept them up with so many goals plus a reasonable number of assists out of the side? Unsure Webster was an integral player there.

I also question whether Webster would have flourished here in the same way under McCarthy- how cheaply we got him for from Ipswich makes me wonder!

McCarthy’s “solid body of work” includes winning the Championship title twice! Got Ireland to the Euro playoffs too. Bit more than solid, I’d say?

They finished one place below us when he left (13th), the following season they were relegated & this season under Lambert nosedived after Xmas (sound familiar?) so start next season level with the Gas..

I know an Ipswich fan through a friend & he said McCarthy did an incredible job, Marcus Evans stopped giving any manager funds years ago & he said he was doing an amazing job to keep them competitive.

For those Warnock fans there are lots of similarities but Mick is 10 years younger & far less of a ***.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Apologies for singling your post out when there's lots of people saying this, but I think this viewpoint (which is quite widespread) does the club a disservice. 

If you're a manager of good pedigree with no connection to the area you'd see an up and coming club, modern stadium, new training ground on the horizon, clear (in theory anyway) plan regarding recruitment, not afraid to spend money, large city that's nice to live in, very patient chairman who'll give you a fair go.

I think we're a very intriguing option for lots of managers. Obviously because we're fans of the club we'll see ourselves more negatively, but compared to lots of other clubs we're an exciting proposition.

We haven't really done 'proper' recruitment of a manager for a while anyway. I get the impression Johnson was being groomed for this role for years and it wasn't as if we had a shortlist of 10 candidates. By all accounts Cotterill was Dawe's man and he too was a fairly straightforward appointment that happened fairly quickly. The last time I can remember us going through the motions of recruiting someone properly was McInnes and the club was in a much worse place at the time.

If the manager's position became available today and we welcomed applications (rather than appointing one of the board's 'men') I think we'd get some intriguing and high-profile applications.

Trouble is the higher profile candidates will find it more difficult to fit in and conform to the 'system' at AG, SL will remember appointing Steve Coppell and how that ended. He's far more likely to get an up and coming coach as he did with LJ and McInness.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ashton_fan said:

Trouble is the higher profile candidates will find it more difficult to fit in and conform to the 'system' at AG, SL will remember appointing Steve Coppell and how that ended. He's far more likely to get an up and coming coach as he did with LJ and McInness.

That is true. It may mean we'd have to look abroad (which is no bad thing). It does limit our options for established managers in this country though I think.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, RobintheRed Red said:

No not another dour bloke.

That's no way to talk about a fellow poster.  :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, xerox6060 said:

If and when .Jamie Mac would get it I reckon .

As others have said this would be a huge gamble given SL's penchant to trust the deputy in the past and it going miserably wrong. I don't think he would make that mistake again.

20 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

Exclusive. Steve Gerrard leaves big club in shit league. To takeover at Championship Bristol City. :laughcont:

He would bring that mouthie scouser winger with him so its a no from me.

20 hours ago, Natchfever said:

Van Bommel too strong a character for the owner methinks.

Time Jon L stepped up to the plate and made the decision and for him, Van Bommel is a good choice; not a shrinking violet but well into developing youth. Someone the players would really look up to. Cost a fair packet but SL has tried this route before with Copout... he needs to be brave and do it again if he truly wants the Premier League because it is clearly not working with Lee and Co.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately I feel that this thread is the opposite of a typical transfer forum thread - ie 20 pages and then the player doesn’t sign. With this, we’ll get 20 pages of suggestions and Johnson stays. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, IAmNick said:

As a realistic name, it's Paul Cook for me.

Has good lower league experience of winning - took Chesterfield up from L2 in his second year as champions, and then got them into the L1 playoffs which was no mean feat.

Went to Portsmouth, and got them promoted as champions from L2.

Then Wigan out of L1 as champions, and now has them team doing decently, and has steered them to mid table having been bottom and expected to go down by many just a few months ago. Wigan play reasonable football too, considering the quality and money he has at his disposal.

And he's a hard bastard that doesn't mind ripping heads off. Just ask Guardiola. I think he's a good shout. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, GrahamC said:

McCarthy’s “solid body of work” includes winning the Championship title twice! Got Ireland to the Euro playoffs too. Bit more than solid, I’d say?

They finished one place below us when he left (13th), the following season they were relegated & this season under Lambert nosedived after Xmas (sound familiar?) so start next season level with the Gas..

I know an Ipswich fan through a friend & he said McCarthy did an incredible job, Marcus Evans stopped giving any manager funds years ago & he said he was doing an amazing job to keep them competitive.

For those Warnock fans there are lots of similarities but Mick is 10 years younger & far less of a ***.

Okay maybe I understated it a bit. Evans clearly a ****.

My question to you is, would McCarthy have still kept them up in 2018/19 sans McGoldrick, Garner and of course Waghorn. Plus Webster and Celina- the number of goals they chipped in and assists makes me wonder...check the stats.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Pop, all very good comments about Mick. Brings it home nicely. You are hired. 

p.s. my sincere apologies to Grahma C. Pop; you are fired. Graham in the hot seat to decide our next gaffer. Mick is a good shout. Imagine what he could do with the cash Lee has had... boy it does not bear thinking about lest i get depressed. 

p.p.s. but could he get on with Ashton?

Edited by havanatopia
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Pop, all very good comments about Mick. Brings it home nicely. You are hired. 

p.s. my sincere apologies to Grahma C. Pop; you are fired. Graham in the hot seat to decide our next gaffer. Mick is a good shout. Imagine what he could do with the cash Lee has had... boy it does not bear thinking about lest i get depressed. 

p.p.s. but could he get on with Ashton?

Mick’s not great at bullshit bingo, can’t see him getting on to well with Ashton.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Robbie Fowler just became available. Been released by a grammatically dubious team from Australia called "Brisbane Roar". Apparently been linked to the Birmingham job (seemingly a very long list for that one) but maybe worth a look?

No idea of his credentials, just throwing another name into the ring.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Robbie Fowler just became available. Been released by a grammatically dubious team from Australia called "Brisbane Roar". Apparently been linked to the Birmingham job (seemingly a very long list for that one) but maybe worth a look?

No idea of his credentials, just throwing another name into the ring.

How is that grammatically dubious? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Redpool said:

If I can dream a little bit and have my head in the clouds.

If Brentford fail to go to. Could we put together a very good pay package for Thomas Frank and his coaching team please.

IMO you'd be disappointed. The Brentford project has been years in the making and is so much more than just a good coach and staff. 8 years of Benham's ownership, coupled with formal relationships with clubs like with Midtjylland and underlying it all is Benham's own software and philosophy. You cannot simply remove Frank and his coaching staff from that set up and expect them to instantly elevate us to the top 6.

Brentford are where they are thanks to everything that they have done over the past 8 years. 

2 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

How is that grammatically dubious? 

Surely it should be "Brisbane Roars" or "Brisbane will Roar" or "Brisbane can Roar". It's odd to use it this way. But anyway, let's not derail the thread.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

IMO you'd be disappointed. The Brentford project has been years in the making and is so much more than just a good coach and staff. 8 years of Benham's ownership, coupled with formal relationships with clubs like with Midtjylland and underlying it all is Benham's own software and philosophy. You cannot simply remove Frank and his coaching staff from that set up and expect them to instantly elevate us to the top 6.

Brentford are where they are thanks to everything that they have done over the past 8 years. 

Surely it should be "Brisbane Roars" or "Brisbane will Roar" or "Brisbane can Roar". It's odd to use it this way. But anyway, let's not derail the thread.

Oh I see, yeah. I suppose it's a bit like Chicago Sting

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Lez said:

In terms of interventions yours is right up there as the most pointless.

I disagree - people are discussing Mark Robins on here as a possible replacement for LJ - you added to the debate with a totally inaccurate statement saying that Robins had been ‘sacked two years ago’ - that is untrue, he’s had a very successful last few years as boss at Coventry City. Anyone reading your inaccuracies would probably dismiss Robins as a potential managerial candidate if they believed he’d ‘been sacked two years ago’ as it suggests he’s recently been a poor team manager. 

So I just thought I’d add fact to the discussion rather than your fiction so people can take a balanced view on his suitability as a possible LJ replacement ...

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I disagree - people are discussing Mark Robins on here as a possible replacement for LJ - you added to the debate with a totally inaccurate statement saying that Robins had been ‘sacked two years ago’ - that is untrue, he’s had a very successful last few years as boss at Coventry City. Anyone reading your inaccuracies would probably dismiss Robins as a potential managerial candidate if they believed he’d ‘been sacked two years ago’ as it suggests he’s recently been a poor team manager. 

So I just thought I’d add fact to the discussion rather than your fiction so people can take a balanced view on his suitability as a possible LJ replacement ...

Please get out more.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, BS13 Robin said:

It seems to me that we cant have Chris Hughton as manager because so many people cant spell his name .............................................unless they want Roy Houghton,sorry guys couldnt resist!!

Oooops i spelt that wrong as well i meant Ray Houghton!!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

If i was in charge of our club

I would go for Duncan Furguson  Sell him the project and back him

Another left field Tim Cahill

Bloody hell. - thank god you’re not in charge!

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Maltshoveller said:

If i was in charge of our club

I would go for Duncan Furguson  Sell him the project and back him

Another left field Tim Cahill

Big dunc thats a terrific shout shoveller fired up a deomoralised everton team when he took over 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...