IGNORED

Tony Mowbray, Garry Monk, & Lee Johnson

NickJ

These 2 TV games with the drinks breaks have perfectly exposed Johnson's utter incompetence.

You see Mowbray and Monk with most of the players gathered round their coach who is err, coaching, talking to the players, presumably giving instructions and motivating.

Watch Johnson. Nothing.

Except the second half break today which he spent the entire time arguing with the 4th official.

Johnson spends most of most games arguing with the 4th official, so not so much of a surprise, but really, apart from picking the team and substitutions like some sort of xBox geek, it's hard to see any contribution from the person whose official title is "Head Coach"..

Boro and Swansea's Captain's with great leadership qualities, read Bruce Rioch's comments about Mowbray.

Johnson was in my opinion a poor player (extremely fortunate to play over 170 times for our club) and certainly displayed no leadership skills. No track record as a manager, a dreadful appointment. 

1 minute ago, irishreds said:

Boro and Swansea's Captain's with great leadership qualities, read Bruce Rioch's comments about Mowbray.

Johnson was in my opinion a poor player (extremely fortunate to play over 170 times for our club) and certainly displayed no leadership skills. No track record as a manager, a dreadful appointment. 

Johnson’s ability as a player is completely irrelevant 

There is a pattern forming. Blackburn & Sheff Weds played to their strengths and as a team. We, on the other hand, looked disjointed and very much like a team of individuals.

All LJ is doing is alienating all of the squad to such an extent that nothing is cohesive.

I don't like some of the nasty comments directed to him  on here and I have backed him no matter what as I do believe he has a lot of good coaching ideas but it's plain to see that he is unable to harness all of the talented players at his disposal. We should be taking these games by the scruff of the neck.

Enough is enough

13 minutes ago, Swede said:

There is a pattern forming. Blackburn & Sheff Weds played to their strengths and as a team. We, on the other hand, looked disjointed and very much like a team of individuals.

All LJ is doing is alienating all of the squad to such an extent that nothing is cohesive.

I don't like some of the nasty comments directed to him  on here and I have backed him no matter what as I do believe he has a lot of good coaching ideas but it's plain to see that he is unable to harness all of the talented players at his disposal. We should be taking these games by the scruff of the neck.

Enough is enough

Completely agree. I don’t mind him making mistakes and am in no rush to go up. Happy with steady progress but he keeps making the same mistakes over and over again. Defence getting worse, scoring fewer goals and haven’t won a midfield for about a year 

29 minutes ago, Swede said:

Enough is enough

Agree with a lot of this but Blackburn away is clearly a tough game, decent side, well drilled.

However yeah- over the season we should be playing better indeed. Much better.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Agree with a lot of this but Blackburn away is clearly a tough game, decent side, well drilled.

However yeah- over the season we should be playing better indeed. Much better.

I sort of agree but also think that - purely by the virtue of being a technically unspectacular side who get results via organisation, preparation and hard work - Blackburn show exactly what the basics are that we are lacking. 

3 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I sort of agree but also think that - purely by the virtue of being a technically unspectacular side who get results via organisation, preparation and hard work - Blackburn show exactly what the basics are that we are lacking. 

They're not bad technically in any case IMO, but I don't want to digress. Average over 50% possession for a start, though that can be misleading of course. Holtby (ex PL, CL and Bundesliga player), Evans, Travis are all sound in midfield- Dack of course injured is icing on the cake. Armstrong is good, I like their CBs not bad on the ball- like Nyambe.

I'm getting off the point though- I think Mowbray would absolutely get more out of our squad than LJ.

1 hour ago, irishreds said:

In fairness, he hasn’t been a dreadful appointment. He’s taken us away from the relegation zone, established us as a decent Championship team That is nowhere near the relegation zone, and got us to the semi finals of the league cup. 

However, a manager will generally have a limited shelf life at any one club, and it would appear that his time here is coming to an end. He doesn’t deserve any of the vitriolic comments towards him and it would really be best for all concerned that a mutual parting of the ways is agreed with thanks to him for what he’s achieved at the club. That would be the classy way for it to happen (Not that I think that will happen though!)

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

They're not bad technically in any case IMO, but I don't want to digress. Average over 50% possession for a start, though that can be misleading of course. Holtby (ex PL, CL and Bundesliga player), Evans, Travis are all sound in midfield- Dack of course injured is icing on the cake. Armstrong is good, I like their CBs not bad on the ball- like Nyambe.

I'm getting off the point though- I think Mowbray would absolutely get more out of our squad than LJ.

Sure. I don't mean to suggest they're a poor side. They've a lot of solid Championship players. But I don't believe that, in terms of personnel, they are a better side than us or one that would be competing for the play-offs without Mowbray doing a really good job of getting the best out of the tools at his disposal. 

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

What examples of a lack of professionalism as a player do you have? 

By all means have a go at him as a manager. Enough ammunition without creating new ones out of thin air 

Wow you obviously did not notice the player that only got on the field due to a relative selecting the team. A player so tactically and safety aware in his last 2 seasons he was an expert in avoiding contact with the ball! 

11 minutes ago, dave36 said:

Wow you obviously did not notice the player that only got on the field due to a relative selecting the team. A player so tactically and safety aware in his last 2 seasons he was an expert in avoiding contact with the ball! 

So lee had a lack of professionalism because Gary picked him?  As I said, have a go at him for many things but NOT lack of professionalism. Pretty disgusting slur to criticise him for that when it’s clearly not the case. That’s the last thing anyone can level at him. 

3 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

So lee had a lack of professionalism because Gary picked him?  As I said, have a go at him for many things but NOT lack of professionalism. Pretty disgusting slur to criticise him for that when it’s clearly not the case. That’s the last thing anyone can level at him. 

I rather liked Lee as a player, and felt it dented our promotion chances when he was crocked towards the end of the play-off season...but it's not helped his reputation amongst his doubters that of the 405 games of professional football he played the overwhelming majority were for Yeovil and City when his Dad was the manager...of those 405 games all but 39 were for the two clubs. I know he played a few games under Millen but what's that? 90% for his Dad? And as a manager most of his career has been under an owner who is a mate of his Dad. Personally I don't doubt his professionalism, but a whiff of nepotism has done him no favours.

5 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

I rather liked Lee as a player, and felt it dented our promotion chances when he was crocked towards the end of the play-off season...but it's not helped his reputation amongst his doubters that of the 405 games of professional football he played the overwhelming majority were for Yeovil and City when his Dad was the manager...of those 405 games all but 39 were for the two clubs. I know he played a few games under Millen but what's that? 90% for his Dad? And as a manager most of his career has been under an owner who is a mate of his Dad. Personally I don't doubt his professionalism, but a whiff of nepotism has done him no favours.

That is why I was extremely disappointed when LJ was recruited by SL.

We could do with a total, complete break with the Johnson family. We need an entirely new outlook at the playing side of the Club.

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Let's be fair, football and favoritism and nepotism is far from uncommon, these days especially- maybe it's just easier to find these days but it's far from uncommon. Perhaps it never was that rare.

Maybe, but I think we'd struggle to find another professional footballer who'd played over 400 matches and almost exclusively for his Dad.

5 hours ago, NickJ said:

These 2 TV games with the drinks breaks have perfectly exposed Johnson's utter incompetence.

You see Mowbray and Monk with most of the players gathered round their coach who is err, coaching, talking to the players, presumably giving instructions and motivating.

Watch Johnson. Nothing.

Except the second half break today which he spent the entire time arguing with the 4th official.

Johnson spends most of most games arguing with the 4th official, so not so much of a surprise, but really, apart from picking the team and substitutions like some sort of xBox geek, it's hard to see any contribution from the person whose official title is "Head Coach"..

I shouldn’t hold Mowbray and Monk up as examples just because their teams beat us. Blackburn lost yesterday and you can put your house on it that Sheffield Wednesday will lose their next game. 
it seems most teams beat us then lose their next game. We just lightweights at the moment. 

4 hours ago, irishreds said:

Run out of likes but fully agree.

10 hours ago, NickJ said:

Watch Johnson. Nothing.

its because  none of our players speak to him or vice versa .

12 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Let's be fair, football and favoritism and nepotism is far from uncommon, these days especially- maybe it's just easier to find these days but it's far from uncommon. Perhaps it never was that rare.

Ferguson, and Pulis are good examples of looking after their boys, but not to the extent of Johnson senior.

I firmly believe it cost us the playoff final but water under the bridge now. However, enough people really disliked him as a player and felt he was picked because of his dad, so his appointment as head coach was unfortunately not surprising, and therefore very divisive, and compounded by the love in with the Lansdowns, evident when he was retained when any other coach would have been shown the door.

16 hours ago, RobintheRed Red said:

its because  none of our players speak to him or vice versa .

Do you mean that literally?

Based on watching the drinks breaks in the TV games, it certainly seems that wouldn't necessarily be far from the truth.

Archived