IGNORED

Next seasons squad

Eddie Notgetinya

I think we all felt we had the most talented squad in recent times at the start of the season - how bleak does it look now. LJ hasn’t got the best out of them because he refuses to play to our strengths and as a result some will be out of contract, loans will be finishing and others will want out. Others simply haven’t delivered. 

Loan terminations

Pereria 

Afobe

Williams

Benkovic 

Henrikson 

Likely leavers 

Diedhiou - Last year of contract linked elsewhere 

Eliasson - Too good for us and not used enough. Linked to better clubs 

Palmer - full of talent but never used, must want out surely if LJ stays

Nagy - Something seems wrong with him and he hasn’t cut it anyway  

Out of contract 

Smith

Maenpaa

Squad players at best

Rowe

Vyner 

Hunt

O’Dowda 

Paterson 

Massengo

Watkins

Starting XI players 

Bentley (he will recapture form)

Dasilva

Kalas

Baker 

Moore

Wells

Wiemann

Returning loan players that have a realistic chance at featuring 

Walsh

Morrell  

A lot of recruitment will be needed to make us competitive next season. 

35 minutes ago, Eddie Notgetinya said:

Or perhaps just one bit of recruitment? 

4 hours ago, Eddie Notgetinya said:

I think we all felt we had the most talented squad in recent times at the start of the season - how bleak does it look now. LJ hasn’t got the best out of them because he refuses to play to our strengths and as a result some will be out of contract, loans will be finishing and others will want out. Others simply haven’t delivered. 

Loan terminations

Pereria 

Afobe

Williams

Benkovic 

Henrikson 

Likely leavers 

Out of contract 

Smith

Maenpaa

Squad players at best

Rowe

Vyner 

Hunt

O’Dowda 

Paterson 

Massengo

Watkins

Starting XI players 

Dasilva

Kalas

Baker 

Moore

Wells

Wiemann

Walsh

Morrell  

As it stands for next season the only two players left from the Man Utd squad are Vyner and Baker. Food for thought, althought equally - depressing - on the assumption I cannot see Eliasson staying. To summarise, I think - this summer - this squad is going to get shat on. If I could, I'd get rid of Hunt, Pato, Bentley, Weimann, Watkins, and O'Dowda - if I could where possibly, as realistically on current performances we're wasting wages on all of them. For the way we want to play, we have too many players lacking the technical skills to play such a system - ironic as on balance all have good work rates so would have been great in an amalgamising pressing system that some genius stopped using.....

Out already: Korey Smith, Niki Maenpaa, Ashley Williams, Pedro Pereira (Option), Benik Afobe (Option), Filip Benkovic, Henrikson (Confirmed), Matty Taylor (Confirmed), Bailey Wright (Confirmed?)

Last Year of Contract (ending 2021): Niclas Eliasson, Jack Hunt, Andreas Weimann, Famara Diedhiou, Nathan Baker, Liam Walsh, Marley Watkins, Tommy Rowe, Zak Vyner, Joe Morrell, Jamie Paterson, Max O'Leary, Cameron Pring, Jonny Smith, Hakeep Adelakun, Tyreeq Bakinson, Taylor Moore (https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport/football/blackpool-fc/west-brom-target-blackpool-loan-defender-taylor-moore-bristol-city-2842466)
Likely to demand a move due to reasons (playing time, happiness); Kasey Palmer, Sam Szmodics, Ádám Nagy.

Assuming, in line with the clubs business philosophy, unless the last line contracts are extended (where expiring in 2021), we could have a mass exodus, leaving a very depleted squad in the wake of this season; for the most part left with overbloated wasters who've been picking up wages, mostly due to LJ's mismanagement.

I would offer entensions to those we have a realistic chance of signing on if promoised increased development and playing time or due to utility; namely, Baker (+1y), Walsh (+2yr), Vyner (+1yr), Morrell (+2yr), O'Leary (+3yr), Moore (+2yr), possibly Jonny Smith (+1yr).

We're likely to sell the likes of Eliasson & Deidhiou due to their contract situations, but more importantly possible interest abroad and or PL.
While looking to sell those who either do not make the grade, or do not currently wish to keep - for instance, I could see Baker leaving to reduce ever increasing wage costs that have occurred over the course of LJ's tenure, as well as others such as Hunt, Weimann.

From a personal standpoint I would actively transfer list and look to sell Paterson, Adelakun, Watkins, and Hunt to reduce costs, possibly sell Bentley and extend Maenpaa to his extent also.

In terms of possible transfer targets, we need to repeat what Cotts did the promotion season to some entent, but adjusted slightly, signing the better, younger, players from League 1 and League 2, that eventually became the long-standing core of this team that we are now struggling to replace, with Smith to leave.

Examples of such signing could be the likes Harry Pickering (LB, Crewe), Callum O'Hare (AM, Aston Villa, played with Walsh at Cov last season), Ben Whitemen (CM, Doncaster, to replace Pack's lost presence in the middle).

Might have to factor in that we may not be quite the pull that we have been recently. Whatever you think of them as players, the treatment of Szmodics, Palmer, Moore, Adelakun, Walsh and even Ryan Kent may make others think twice before joining. 

6 hours ago, Eddie Notgetinya said:

Loan terminations

Pereria 

Afobe

Williams

Benkovic 

Henrikson 

Likely leavers 

Out of contract 

Smith

Maenpaa

Squad players at best

Rowe

Vyner 

Hunt

O’Dowda 

Paterson 

Massengo

Watkins

Starting XI players 

Dasilva

Kalas

Baker 

Moore

Wells

Wiemann

Walsh

Morrell  

For what it's worth (because I doubt it will happen) 

Loan players: try to do permanent deals for Perreira and Afobe. Cut the rest loose. 

Likely leavers: try to get Diedhiou to stay, but if not look for similar type as replacement. Get best possible prices for Eliasson and Palmer  and let Nagy leave if he wants to go. 

Out of contract: Say goodbye with thanks to Korey but offer new contract to Maenpaa. 

Starting XI: controversially listen to offers for Kalas if form doesn't improve. Seriously in danger of joining the list of players who played better on loan than after signing permanently. 

Promote Morrell, Walsh and Jonny Smith to the 1st team squad and keep Moore, Vyner and O'leary around. 

Decisions to be made on other players in pre-season. 

What's more worrying is that

1) Landsown will back LJ with more money - he'll have to if that many players leave otherwise we won't have a competitive squad.

2) sadly, it won't matter what quality the new players bring, it'll just be drilled out of them as they integrate in to the confusing tactics and style we play.

It's such a shame that Landsdown seems to be too frightened to call it a day for LJ and use this as an opportunity to build on the squad we have rather than let it be ripped apart and start again. I do believe if we get the right man in next, he'll be able to rediscover the quality we already have.

Some of us never thought this was a particularly good squad, always looked light in midfield, far too large, and the youth development completely overlooked. We stopped doing what we had done well, and repeated past mistakes of going for quantity ahead of quality. 
As for next season, Who knows when fans will be allowed back, capacity limits etc., so spending on players would be very reckless with no guarantees of income. 

6 minutes ago, RedEyez said:

O’Dowda, Watkins, Hunt, Weimann, Williams, Rowe

Would argee with the most. I'm still not sure on O'Dowda. Think he's been messed about as one of LJ's 'versatile' or 'club in bag options'. As an out and out winger I think he could work. There must be a player there somewhere as even McCarthy liked him.

I'd also add Pato to that list; only a year left on his deal and simply too inconsistent.

Massive rebuild needed this summer it seems - the one bright side are the good loans elsewhere. Based on today I'd really like Benkovic to extend (assuming Baker could leave also with 12 months left), he gives us such as a Flint-like option from set pieces, I feel a back three of Moore, Kalas, and Benko could work well.

There is going to be quite a few going out the door to allow the new manager to bring in at least 4-5 that will toughen up the squad 

some may raise a few eyebrows but the following may not be here next season 

Taylor Moore, Smith, Patterson, Rowe, Hunt, Djeidhou, Eliasson,  Williams, Vyner, Semenyo, Bakinson, Maenpaa, Perreira, Benkovic, Afobe, Palmer 

I think there will be a massive shift in emphasis on signing players who can do a specific job for the new Manager and hence why LJ has gone now and not at the end of the season

Recruiting the right players as early as possible and telling those who they don’t want to get agents to find them new clubs is a strategy MA should be doing now 

We will see and watch with interest over the coming weeks

It's  going to be virtually impossible to move on contracted players with the exception of Elliason.

The new manager will have to find a system that get the best out of what we've got.

Possibly five at the back with Taylor Moore playing out from the back, but more likely 4-4-.2

Assuming we don't buy Afobe, I would try Palmer upfront alongside Wells. I thought when we signed Palmer, Johnson would do the same with him as Bobby Reid.  Hopefully the lad wants it because he obviously has talent, he just needs Reid's work ethic and may be a bit of confidence.

On 28/06/2020 at 15:03, Eddie Notgetinya said:

Loan terminations

Pereria 

Afobe

Williams

Benkovic 

Henrikson 

Likely leavers 

Out of contract 

Smith

Maenpaa

Squad players at best

Rowe

Vyner 

Hunt

O’Dowda 

Paterson 

Massengo

Watkins

Starting XI players 

Dasilva

Kalas

Baker 

Moore

Wells

Wiemann

Walsh

Morrell  

What about Szmodics  ?

1 hour ago, Fuber said:

As this may become relevant again -  is there anyone, in terms of the current squad, we reckon should follow LJ out the door?

The new manager will form their own views but I reckon Rowe, Hunt, Smith, O'Dowda, Paterson, Weimann and Watkins are a lot more vulnerable than they were this morning.

Also reckon, like many do, that Eliasson and Diedhiou will leave due to contract reasons. 

On 28/06/2020 at 15:03, Eddie Notgetinya said:

Loan terminations

Pereria 

Afobe

Williams

Benkovic 

Henrikson 

Likely leavers 

Out of contract 

Smith

Maenpaa

Squad players at best

Rowe

Vyner 

Hunt

O’Dowda 

Paterson 

Massengo

Watkins

Starting XI players 

Dasilva

Kalas

Baker 

Moore

Wells

Wiemann

Walsh

Morrell  

id get rid opf weinman just runs around aimlessly.

44 minutes ago, kiwicolin said:

What about Szmodics  ?

I'd like to think he could play a role, even out wide cutting inside.

His goal records from midfield even for League 2 is impressive; and did very well at Peterboro

1 minute ago, Top Robin said:

Another one who came here a good player and has had the skill sucked out of him 

Think it more likely LJ overcomplicated the role and his instructions to the extent he didnt know whether the sky was above or below.

Alot of the younger players will get a second wind and/or chance for me. Semenyo, Walsh, Morrell, Moore, Jonny Smith, Szmodics, Palmer, etc.

1 hour ago, INCRED said:

There is going to be quite a few going out the door to allow the new manager to bring in at least 4-5 that will toughen up the squad 

some may raise a few eyebrows but the following may not be here next season 

Taylor Moore, Smith, Patterson, Rowe, Hunt, Djeidhou, Eliasson,  Williams, Vyner, Semenyo, Bakinson, Maenpaa, Perreira, Benkovic, Afobe, Palmer 

I think there will be a massive shift in emphasis on signing players who can do a specific job for the new Manager and hence why LJ has gone now and not at the end of the season

Recruiting the right players as early as possible and telling those who they don’t want to get agents to find them new clubs is a strategy MA should be doing now 

We will see and watch with interest over the coming weeks

Obviously many factors can influence these choices: the new manager's profile, his tactical ideas, money to invest, rich offers in the transfer market, etc.

Talking about your list...I'm not sure that T.Moore, Rowe, Hunt and Afobe would leave: the first one will take Williams place, the second one is an utility player and could be considered a good reserve for more positions, the third one would be the only natural RB left in case of Pereira's departure (I expect it) and is one of the best assist creators of the current squad, and Afobe could fill the gap if Fammy were sold. i have some doubts about Smith too, because he knows City better than any other player, he's not a bad leader and could ''help'' the new manager to settle.  

Then if the new manager could convince Niclas to stay....

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

It's bizarre that someone who looks as talented as Benkovic hasn't been getting in our team. 6 foot 4, very good on the ball, decent pace. He looks like he will be a top defender. What a waste!

i agree with that back 3. But will be hard to get Benkovic back here.

I really hope Taylor Moore is now of the required standard. I believe someone like Jokanovic could be a great appointment for ball playing centre backs like Moore to be given a chance.

i really hope we get a manager in that plays this kind of way.

That's the big issue with fans wanting Hughton.

His record regarding youth is nonexistent afaik. Jokanovic meanwhile has the likes of Dembele and Sessegnon on his record, plus loaning out Bettinelli and Rodak out with the view to develop them. Seems to be a good judge of when to utilise youth and deciding whats best for them.

Just now, JonDolman said:

Yep for me Jokanovic or Robins type.

Someone who will play young players and play the right way.

Or like you say at least have a plan to bring them through.

We have some serious young talent. People say league one is far below championship standard. Yes it is. But having players in their early 20s looking quality at that level suggests they will develop to at least championship level.

It is so important we don't change our plan imo.

That's the main reason LJ lost me the last season - no signs of interesting youth unless forced (Vyner).

Archived