IGNORED

Is the tide turning?

Lez

• Admin
1 hour ago, Lew-T said:

I’ve seen lots of people @ Lee and Jon Lansdown on Twitter. Don’t think stuff like that is necessary.

Depends what is being said. 

If it threatening or personal that crosses the line, otherwise why would they be on social media when the whole point is interaction with people 

Don't worry all........."We will will dust ourselves off and go again" says LJ.  It goes against my normal philosophy, but i would be prepared to accept just about anything if it meant LJ was dismissed, including being embarrased by Forest and Cardiff.  Something needs to be done?  Playing Afobe on the left against Wednesday was the final coffin nail for me, he really has no idea what he is doing, and his team selection and tactics reek of desperation  IMHO.

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

Bang on. I actually think - with the right decisions now - I could easily look back on Lee Johnson's reign far more positively than I do at this exact moment. He's built on what Cotts started, established us in the division, attracted some decent talent and a new manager would start with a strong foundation in terms of a good squad and some players who could be sold for profit in order to address weaknesses in the squad. 

But, as you say, he has taken us as far as we can. I actually want him out for his sake as much as anything. I think another season like this one would sour the opinions of even those who think he has done okay up until now. There's no getting round the fact that we've not been good enough far too often and another manager could surely get more out of the players. 

Without a doubt if LJ left now, he could leave with his head held high knowing he’d left the club in a better state than he found it.

If he left now he could return with another club and would get a warm round of applause from the sensible majority in the ground.

The danger now is that, with the steady progress we have made under LJ now beginning to reverse, he well and truly outstays his welcome and becomes a figure of hate. It just feels like the right time for a change - not unlike when Gary Johnson left via the front door rather than the back.

3 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Sorry but they are jointly responsible. One cannot blame the other, they say they are mates, talk each day, and are both self congratulating. We have random player signings for a random playing approach. Both need to go. It would be hugely unfair on LJ if Ashton was not held equally as accountable IMHO. The club has to raise the level off the pitch, in a dramatic fashion and that includes the scouting and acquisition process as it has been found wanting and not integrated into any footballing strategy. We have taken steps forward, now it is time to grow further. LJ and MA have had their time and been found wanting. Very difficult for Sl as he would rather have these people succeed as he likes them, but Steve , you are not a fool, and keeping this cosy club together is making you look less than the very astute person you are. 

You are right.

LJ has done some good things, Ashton has too (selling players), but they’ve both created a cosy existence for each other.

Either one calls the other out, or they are both responsible.

14 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Sorry but they are jointly responsible. One cannot blame the other, they say they are mates, talk each day, and are both self congratulating. We have random player signings for a random playing approach. Both need to go. It would be hugely unfair on LJ if Ashton was not held equally as accountable IMHO. The club has to raise the level off the pitch, in a dramatic fashion and that includes the scouting and acquisition process as it has been found wanting and not integrated into any footballing strategy. We have taken steps forward, now it is time to grow further. LJ and MA have had their time and been found wanting. Very difficult for Sl as he would rather have these people succeed as he likes them, but Steve , you are not a fool, and keeping this cosy club together is making you look less than the very astute person you are. 

With all this ‘amazing’ set-up off the pitch that Ashton so-say presides over, has anyone ever questioned why he sacked his chief scout and has never replaced him? 
Recruitment is so so key. Brentford get it right for their respective budget. Preston get it right for their respective budget. Leeds & WBA tend to get it right for their budget. 
But we continually fail with our budget. 

Kudos, absolutely, to Ashton for the outgoing transfer negotiations. He’s been very good at that. 
But his identification of a player suitable for a required role has been dire. It’s what a head scout would know more about, but Ashton obviously feels he doesn’t need one of those. 

2 hours ago, glos old boy said:

They will be thinking, how many ST`s have we sold, who can we sell off to make some money,.

They will not be thinking; isnt it about time we tried the prem, even if its for just a season or if we should sack salesman LJ.

They will be thinking we are a business called Bristol Sport what else can we do to to bring in money in the future, that doesnt involve giving much more to Lee.

Fans opinions of our club will not be high on their priority list the boss will do what he likes, when he likes, whether the natives are restless or not.

There is a lot to this, however SL, MA and the BoD watched the same dross. The natives are restless no doubt but so are they!

23 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

You are right.

LJ has done some good things, Ashton has too (selling players), but they’ve both created a cosy existence for each other.

Aside from anything else, Mark Ashton's job is literally to make sure difficult decisions get made for the good of the club without sentimentalism getting in the way. If he does not now push for SL and the board to make the change then I simply don't see how he is doing the job he gets paid to do.

6 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Totally. You have to define how you are going to play and sign players that fit it. Too many of our signings are wayward and simply do not fit  (and LJ has a huge repertoire of approaches so that is going quite some to achieve) . The scouting process has got to jump to a much higher level. Both need to go asap so we can do something for next season. 

Next problem, who is going to find a new coach and DOF ? 

The talent scout at Brentford was laid off during Covid. I’ve no idea why he’s not already been re-employed here. 

24 minutes ago, Harry said:

With all this ‘amazing’ set-up off the pitch that Ashton so-say presides over, has anyone ever questioned why he sacked his chief scout and has never replaced him? 
Recruitment is so so key. Brentford get it right for their respective budget. Preston get it right for their respective budget. Leeds & WBA tend to get it right for their budget. 
But we continually fail with our budget. 

Kudos, absolutely, to Ashton for the outgoing transfer negotiations. He’s been very good at that. 
But his identification of a player suitable for a required role has been dire. It’s what a head scout would know more about, but Ashton obviously feels he doesn’t need one of those. 

I remember a Bristol Post article from earlier in the year about Lee Johnson’s second cousin joining as a “senior” scout. Any insight in to whether he could possibly be our Chief Scout but maybe not something the club wanted to publicise too wisely given the often cosy nature of appointments behind the scenes and the criticism that has come with it? Reminiscent of Pete and Gary. 

45 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

agreed

3 minutes ago, SuperRed said:

I remember a Bristol Post article from earlier in the year about Lee Johnson’s second cousin joining as a “senior” scout. Any insight in to whether he could possibly be our Chief Scout but maybe not something the club wanted to publicise too wisely given the often cosy nature of appointments behind the scenes and the criticism that has come with it? Reminiscent of Pete and Gary. 

Nope. There’s no head scout. There’s just a bloke with a massive ego in charge of the whole thing. 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

You are right.

Said it before, they live in a bubble.  A self congratulatory, back slapping, management speaking bubble of nonsense.  Not one of them has achieved anything.  Yet, they portray themselves as some kind of dream team.  Deluded idiots who should be shown the door for their sakes, our sakes and SL's sake. 

7 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

Said it before, they live in a bubble.  A self congratulatory, back slapping, management speaking bubble of nonsense.  Not one of them has achieved anything.  Yet, they portray themselves as some kind of dream team.  Deluded idiots who should be shown the door for their sakes, our sakes and SL's sake. 

Post of the day, for me. Well put, my friend. Well put.

Dunno why Ashton is getting too much flak- I see a fairly talented set of individuals, players, who are far from a cohesive unit, far from having consistent patterns of play, far from showing movement.

Sure don't have to agree with every signing but I refuse to believe this is the uppermost capability of this squad, form or style and indeed now position wise in the League.

I see a side that is somewhat less than the sum of its parts (IMO). Doesn't even hit it, let alone exceed- not really seeing the Ashton blaming yet.

2 hours ago, maxjak said:

Don't worry all........."We will will dust ourselves off and go again" says LJ.  It goes against my normal philosophy, but i would be prepared to accept just about anything if it meant LJ was dismissed, including being embarrased by Forest and Cardiff.  Something needs to be done?  Playing Afobe on the left against Wednesday was the final coffin nail for me, he really has no idea what he is doing, and his team selection and tactics reek of desperation  IMHO.

I was saying this to the old man earlier. If it means losing heavily in the remaining games and get embarrassed in a few of them for the trigger to be pulled then so be it. Ive never wanted a City team to lose or get embarrassed especially against rivals like Cardiff but LJ has to go now IMO.

Lots of sensible points being made in this thread . We are at the point of starting to go backwards. This season has been less than entertaining before lockdown and nothing changes after . We haven’t had a settled side or formation for a while and certainly no identity . If we sack LJ the other two certainly have to go and who would we get in for the last 7 games of the season or should we let Tins have it till they find a successor maybe in the pre season ? 

18 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Dunno why Ashton is getting too much flak- I see a fairly talented set of individuals, who are far from a cohesive unit, far from having consistent patterns of play, far from showing movement.

Sure don't have to agree with every signing but I refuse to believe this is the uppermost capability of this squad, form or style and indeed now position wise in the League.

I see a side that is somewhat less than the sum of its parts (IMO). Doesn't even hit it, let alone exceed- not really seeing the Ashton blaming yet.

Fair points.

3 hours ago, Harry said:

We had the ability to keep the ball. Now we don’t. 

Pack and Brownhill were important cogs for sure but our possession stats weren't necessarily through the roof last season. Better than now of course!

It is hard to keep the ball however if you have Smith and Massengo v Evans and Travis with Holtby forming a 3 as and when. Or with Bannan- and he's better shielded in a 3 I think- alongside Lee and Luongo. Behind the 8 ball again eh. 

That's my own hobby horse but it certainly adds difficulties.

I'm saying it now. 2 genuine CMs and any of O'Dowda, Paterson, Palmer as CM number 3, well good opposition, hell not even good but clever opposition can unbalance that quite well! 

Archived