IGNORED

Is the tide turning?

Lez

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Dunno why Ashton is getting too much flak- I see a fairly talented set of individuals, players, who are far from a cohesive unit, far from having consistent patterns of play, far from showing movement.

Sure don't have to agree with every signing but I refuse to believe this is the uppermost capability of this squad, form or style and indeed now position wise in the League.

I see a side that is somewhat less than the sum of its parts (IMO). Doesn't even hit it, let alone exceed- not really seeing the Ashton blaming yet.

Bristol City is, and has to be, a business if it is to have any chance of being competitive on the pitch.

I understand that many fans are suspicious of a guy wearing a suite and spouting modern management speak, but whether we like it or not MA has been pretty effective in generating money for the club. In fact I would go so far as to say, he has had a few clubs' pants down with the fees he's negotiated and in  a few cases beyond anything fans thought possible. If he was to leave then the club would almost certainly replace him with another, similar, guy in suite spouting modern management speak, who would get up fans' noses, but he might not be quite so effective when it comes to negotiating, and in the post covid world of football finance, that ability is going to be very important and invaluable. 

Yes, he might be mates and on good terms with LJ, but while MA can bring good players into the club it's down to LJ what happens to them when they are here. Sadly, there are too many examples of good players having their flair and talent coached out of them once they step into Ashton Gate, and I struggle to see how MA can be he'd responsible for that.

Just now, StGeorge said:

Three piece suite?

You mean the chairman?   ?

Apologies for joke, you make a very good point

Bloody predictive tie pin!

SCS have a sale on so perhaps we could get a replacement there.

:laughcont:

2 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Aside from anything else, Mark Ashton's job is literally to make sure difficult decisions get made for the good of the club without sentimentalism getting in the way. If he does not now push for SL and the board to make the change then I simply don't see how he is doing the job he gets paid to do.

Am I correct in saying that he pushed for a change once before. Seem to recall reading it.

• It appears Lee left a £13M loan player pus £15.5M of his own signings on the bench today. If they're not good enough, they're his signings, if they are good enough, why on earth didn't they play? If they're not trusted, who's Managing them?
  • 9Famara Diédhiou
  • 19Niclas Eliasson
  • 45Kasey Palmer                £4.5M
  • 1Daniel Bentley                 £2.5M
  • 26Zak Vyner
  • 20Jamie Paterson
  • 4Ádám Nagy
  • 31Filip Benkovic              13 loan
  • 22Tomas Kalas               £8.5M

9 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

It appears Lee left a £13M loan player pus £15.5M of his own signings on the bench today.

He had £24m of his own signings on the bench actually. Add on Benkovic and that's £37m of talent. That's just insane.

13 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yes- Pack in a 3 would've seen him produce even more IMO.

This is the same Pack who can't get in the Cardiff team, a Cardiff colleague of mine says that he's not very highly rated by the fans there, too pedestrian and slows the game down too much

Archived