IGNORED

Year on year progress....

Davefevs

....is about to come to an end.

7F6FEBF0-BC95-450C-81AC-A5C9B02E27AA.jpeg.ea8fb37e6c99083a8a09dd93286f10bc.jpeg

We now need 5 wins and a draw from 7 games to make progress.  4 wins and any combination of anything else, is not enough for progress, in terms of points.

I see little likelihood of finishing better than 8th either.

Just now, Davefevs said:

We now need 5 wins and a draw from 7 games to make progress.  4 wins and any combination of anything else, is not enough for progress, in terms of points.

Plus the football is getting worse and worse. Bye, Lee.

Just now, Davefevs said:

I think we’re finish about 12th , can’t see us getting anything from forest and we could sneak a point against Cardiff.

I had a quick look at decade on decade progress - from the end of the GJ era.

In 2009-10 we finished 10th with 63 points.

As a long-term project I wonder what SL makes of that? Ten years and all that off-the pitch investment.

2 minutes ago, glen humphries said:

I think we’re finish about 12th , can’t see us getting anything from forest and we could sneak a point against Cardiff.

Every team we now play has something to play for - at either end of the table - while realistically we have nothing now to play for, unless you are Professor of Optimism  at Positivity University.

That being the case , I'd be worried that, at the moment, and with the way we are playing, it's possible that we could struggle to sneak anything from anyone!

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It’s not so much the stats for me. It’s what I’m seeing on the pitch and it’s got progressively worse. We’re 11 months into the season, his 5th season and he still doesn’t know his best team or formation. 

Making SEVEN changes today just shows the man is under pressure and realisation that he’s out of his depth. 

2 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

It’s not so much the stats for me. It’s what I’m seeing on the pitch and it’s got progressively worse. We’re 11 months into the season, his 5th season and he still doesn’t know his best team or formation. 

Making SEVEN changes today just shows the man is under pressure and realisation that he’s out of his depth. 

I know.....this thread was for those that purely think league position means progress.

12 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Plus the football is getting worse and worse. Bye, Lee.

I feel like this is a point that doesn't get mentioned a lot but probably should.

Watching us play can feel like a chore sometimes. A lot of our games are dull as ditch water. 

Just now, Red Exile said:

I had a quick look at decade on decade progress - from the end of the GJ era.

In 2009-10 we finished 10th with 63 points.

As a long-term project I wonder what SL makes of that? Ten years and all that off-the pitch investment.

That’s the big that often goes missing isn’t it? We’re standing still despite more and more investment and better infrastructure. 

20 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Likely to have the worst GD record as well. Also a chance of lowest goals scored and most conceded.

6 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

That’s the big that often goes missing isn’t it? We’re standing still despite more and more investment and better infrastructure. 

It explains why those of us more long in the tooth have a latent and enduring frustration!

24 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I don't know about progress Dave, but could you see that side today playing that style of football, beating Cott's promotion wining side?

Just please sack him. JM can see the season out and we take a look. 

Wilbo in his interview alluded to SC not getting the backing this bloke has. And what has he done with it.

Most of us are used to losing, you don't support us if you can't take that, but the turgid defensive football we are forced to watch inevitably leading to giving up soft goals is hard to take. 

LJ is obsessed with formations and can't find one that functions with what he has. Think back to early season. Moore doing well HNM playing out of his skin as we were ravaged with injuries and we Had to play to what we had. Now this, everyone fit and we are shit. LJ out thinks himself every game. ****!

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

He's making the most bizarre decisions I've seen in all his time here.

Did I overrate him? Yes I think I did.

He tries so many different things, one thing is bound to eventually work.

So that 17/18 442 with the 2 false 9s was something he tried because he kind of had to. 

Give him millions to have a back up for Fam and it would not have happened as he would probably not have ever tried it.

Around about Ipswich away last season he had tried different things that were not working. Many of us calling for a more solid 4141 type formation for a long time. He goes to that in the second half of that game and we look good and win the game.

We then go on an amazing run based around that system. He guessed it during a game, it worked and our new way of playing would carry on for a few months where we went on a great run.

If we look back at when we survived in the 16/17 season. Some of us were saying drop Tomlin for months. I was saying it for ages, not all agreed but some did as Tomlin was absolutely awful. When you're losing every game and you have a fat man who doesn't care, it is pretty obvious to drop him!

Brownhill played one second half on the right of a midfield 4. Night game I think, can't remember who against. We won the game I think. Really can't remember the details but I just remember how good he looked there.

It was clear how good he was in that position. LJ took several weeks or even months, can't remember how long. But he finally played Brownhill there with Pack and Smith in the middle. Dropped Tomlin FINALLY, and played a proper hard working forward that supported Tammy in Matty Taylor. 

He'd probably tried everything else by that point. Was our survival that season down to a lucky guess from LJ? It seems so as otherwise why wouldn't he just go with that side months earlier!

I could probably go on. But I'm beginning to think even the good parts of LJs time here have happened because he is so random in what he does and eventually something clicks. 

In some ways it's not a bad strategy if you don't know what you're doing!

It should be that he can see what will work and he makes it happen.

We can see what can and can't work and we don't have the benefit of seeing it in training. He has! Yes he still gets it horribly wrong. 

I did not expect to change my mind on LJ after 2 games since coming back. But what is he doing. I really think I may have been wrong about his ability as a head coach.

I don't see whatever it is I thought he had before.

In short, the selection tombola has gone on the blink, plus more luck than judgment.

1 minute ago, REDOXO said:

Just please sack him. JM can see the season out and we take a look. 

Wilbo in his interview alluded to SC not getting the backing this bloke has. And what has he done with it.

Most of us are used to losing, you don't support us if you can't take that, but the turgid defensive football we are forced to watch inevitably leading to giving up soft goals is hard to take. 

LJ is obsessed with formations and can't find one that functions with what he has. Think back to early season. Moore doing well HNM playing out of his skin as we were ravaged with injuries and we Had to play to what we had. Now this, everyone fit and we are shit. LJ out thinks himself every game. ****!

Good point. I think some stato would find our form under Johnson in an injury crisis is better than when he has options. The bloke has no clue of his best formation, best 11 and never has. Dressed up as being some tactically flexible mastermind. 

34 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Dave 8th is incredibly optimistic. At the moment, I think a top half finish is less than 50/50. It’s that bad, with no sign of improvement any time soon.

2 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Dave 8th is incredibly optimistic. At the moment, I think a top half finish is less than 50/50. It’s that bad, with no sign of improvement any time soon.

If Sheff Wed could manage to turn WBA over in their next game more than likely they will be above us!!

7 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Good point. I think some stato would find our form under Johnson in an injury crisis is better than when he has options. The bloke has no clue of his best formation, best 11 and never has. Dressed up as being some tactically flexible mastermind. 

He said last week post match that he needs to pick a team he can trust. 
this week he says “I know my teams”. 
he, literally, talks rubbish.... how his bosses can’t see it is beyond me.

49 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

So he won’t hit Landowns states aim....ergo pack your bags son...

41 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

....and I suspect he’s pissed off quite a few players in the process.

I agree, don’t think players are happy with him, his tactics or what they’re being asked to do, as been said many times on here, think we have best squad of players we’ve had for a long time, but he doesn’t know how to get the best out of, or utilise them. 
If Lee is in charge next season can I have my season ticket money back please.

1 hour ago, Mendip City said:

He said last week post match that he needs to pick a team he can trust. 
this week he says “I know my teams”. 
he, literally, talks rubbish.... how his bosses can’t see it is beyond me.

Listened to some football reporters this morning on sky saying how it was interesting listening to the shouts from the dugout at various games, they were surprised that most of it you can hear at any parks games most weekends, not particularly scientific or out of the ordinary, and therein is our problem, over coaching, over thinking, and over complicating what is a simple game, and being surprised when the players seem confused.

11 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

Listened to some football reporters this morning on sky saying how it was interesting listening to the shouts from the dugout at various games, they were surprised that most of it you can hear at any parks games most weekends, not particularly scientific or out of the ordinary, and therein is our problem, over coaching, over thinking, and over complicating what is a simple game, and being surprised when the players seem confused.

Yeah there’s so much rubbish spouted about modern football and by Lee in particular but it still remains that a well-drilled, confident  average Bunch of players will out perform a talented team who are confused, unfamiliar or unclear about their roles. 

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

He's making the most bizarre decisions I've seen in all his time here.

Did I overrate him? Yes I think I did.

He tries so many different things, one thing is bound to eventually work.

So that 17/18 442 with the 2 false 9s was something he tried because he kind of had to. 

Give him millions to have a back up for Fam and it would not have happened as he would probably not have ever tried it.

Around about Ipswich away last season he had tried different things that were not working. Many of us calling for a more solid 4141 type formation for a long time. He goes to that in the second half of that game and we look good and win the game.

We then go on an amazing run based around that system. He guessed it during a game, it worked and our new way of playing would carry on for a few months where we went on a great run.

If we look back at when we survived in the 16/17 season. Some of us were saying drop Tomlin for months. I was saying it for ages, not all agreed but some did as Tomlin was absolutely awful. When you're losing every game and you have a fat man who doesn't care, it is pretty obvious to drop him!

Brownhill played one second half on the right of a midfield 4. Night game I think, can't remember who against. We won the game I think. Really can't remember the details but I just remember how good he looked there.

It was clear how good he was in that position. LJ took several weeks or even months, can't remember how long. But he finally played Brownhill there with Pack and Smith in the middle. Dropped Tomlin FINALLY, and played a proper hard working forward that supported Tammy in Matty Taylor. 

He'd probably tried everything else by that point. Was our survival that season down to a lucky guess from LJ? It seems so as otherwise why wouldn't he just go with that side months earlier!

I could probably go on. But I'm beginning to think even the good parts of LJs time here have happened because he is so random in what he does and eventually something clicks. 

In some ways it's not a bad strategy if you don't know what you're doing!

It should be that he can see what will work and he makes it happen.

We can see what can and can't work and we don't have the benefit of seeing it in training. He has! Yet he still gets it horribly wrong. 

I did not expect to change my mind on LJ after 2 games since coming back. But what is he doing. I really think I may have been wrong about his ability as a head coach.

I don't see whatever it is I thought he had before.

Agree with that, when he is backed into a corner he does well, give him an 18 man squad and he will get something out of it. It's no coincidence that most of our decent runs have often come in the middle of a injury 'crisis' forcing his hand to play a particular and stable style and team. 

The second he has any choice it all goes wrong, and its all because he has no courage in his convictions, as soon as we lose a game or 2 we throw the baby out with the bath water and start throwing random teams and systems together until as you say by luck he gets something that works, but again the minute it doesn't work he hasn't the ability to see what's wrong and tweak it he has to start throwing systems about again. 

He has never as far as I can remember taken responsibility for a single defeat. 

Some of the stick he gets, the midget stuff and all that is harsh but I can understand it, he's not a terrible manager but he's the sort of manager that most of us will have worked for at some point, he's doesn't come across as a likeable bloke, he's incredibly arrogant and will always throw his players under the bus before taking an ounce of responsibility, so is always going to generate that sort of visceral reaction from people as he literally personifies that utter *** you have probably worked for at some point that would blame everyone under them to cover for their own inadequacies. 

13 minutes ago, Spud55 said:

Agree with that, when he is backed into a corner he does well, give him an 18 man squad and he will get something out of it. It's no coincidence that most of our decent runs have often come in the middle of a injury 'crisis' forcing his hand to play a particular and stable style and team. 

The second he has any choice it all goes wrong, and its all because he has no courage in his convictions, as soon as we lose a game or 2 we throw the baby out with the bath water and start throwing random teams and systems together until as you say by luck he gets something that works, but again the minute it doesn't work he hasn't the ability to see what's wrong and tweak it he has to start throwing systems about again. 

Couldn't agree more with this.

Archived