IGNORED

Year on year progress....

Davefevs

45 minutes ago, mozo said:

Absolutely, and I said above that LJ "couldn't sustain success with all the many challenges that a head coach faces".

So the question is, was Johnson dealt an impossible hand that season (and subsequent seasons), or did he simply fail to navigate the bumps along the way.

As per my placebo post from 2018, he doesn’t spot and understand why things go well, nor go wrong.  So he can’t tweak, coach, develop.

Its a lot of guesswork, with no substance. Sometimes he stumbles on something that works, often he fumbles around with things going wrong.

We deserve better than stumbling and fumbling.

We need structure, method, process, couple with challenge from below (assistant coaches / players) and above (a combination of mentor / DoF / COO).

As someone else said (possibly you), LJ and MA have created a self-congratulating bubble below SL, that creates a cosy culture.

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

As per my placebo post from 2018, he doesn’t spot and understand why things go well, nor go wrong.  So he can’t tweak, coach, develop.

Its a lot of guesswork, with no substance. Sometimes he stumbles on something that works, often he fumbles around with things going wrong.

We need structure, method, process, couple with challenge from below (assistant coaches / players) and above (a combination of mentor / DoF / COO).

As someone else said (possibly you), LJ and MA have created a self-congratulating bubble below SL, that creates a cosy culture.

Maybe it's the tinkering that will define his time with us. Whether the tinkering is enforced (injuries etc), or by design, he doesn't get it right.

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Ma must be sweating, I think he’d advise sl to get rid of lee jay to take some heat off himself ( hopefully)

On 28/06/2020 at 16:13, Red Exile said:

I had a quick look at decade on decade progress - from the end of the GJ era.

In 2009-10 we finished 10th with 63 points.

As a long-term project I wonder what SL makes of that? Ten years and all that off-the pitch investment.

I had a longer look:

1910        16th      First Division    (start as you mean to go on)

1920        8th       Second Division 

1930        20th     Second Division 

1940        -

1950        15th     Third Division South

1960        22nd    Second Division 

1970        14th      Second Division 

1980        20th     First Division 

1990        2nd      Third Division 

2000        9th       Third Division

2010         10th     Second Division 

2020         12th    Second Division  

Generally, then, as a decade ends, we are for the most part either somewhere in the middle of the second tier keeping ourselves to ourselves, or on our way back up or down to the second tier.

For all SL's great investment (of time, sweat and money), he has us pretty much where we have always been. 

Where do we think we will be in 2030? Somewhere between 9th in the third tier and 9th in the second seems a good bet.

Would be the first time he would'nt have improved points total...

But has lost Adam Wesbster and Josh Brownhill, both current starters in the premier league.

Looking objectively, it would be very harsh to sack him

On 28/06/2020 at 16:14, Lew-T said:

It’s not so much the stats for me. It’s what I’m seeing on the pitch and it’s got progressively worse. We’re 11 months into the season, his 5th season and he still doesn’t know his best team or formation. 

Making SEVEN changes today just shows the man is under pressure and realisation that he’s out of his depth. 

I think that's a good point, people would be more forgiving if we were entertaining. We don't create enough changes and barely muster any shots on target. 

18 hours ago, billywedlock said:

Suggesting we had set up to be like Liverpool is really an extraordinary comment. Randomly out of the blue, without the players to apply their system, and no preparation (well 6 or 7 days) it is extraordinary, nonsensical and has no bearing on where we are right now, and to use the name of one of finest football teams and managers as your guide, when you are not even remotely close to the ideals and application of Klopp , well it is delusional at best and downright deceitful at worst. Who would be trialling such a change at this stage of the season unless you are making it up.  Even David Brent would not have had the gall for that one. Who is actually scrutinising these things at the club, where is the accountability ? Are they all in it together, honestly believing what they say between each other ? I remain astounded that SL is being made to look , let's be being kind, taken for a ride. He is an astounding businessman, but he is running blind on this one and his judgement is being clouded. It is hard to fathom why, and even harder to fathom why he has not seen through the charade for what it is. To be lacking a clear and robust strategy after 4 years, but be allowed to spend millions without such a plan, really does beg serious questions about accountability of those making the decisions, but also the ability of those allowing them the freedom to action them. Why does it feel like it is going to need a tragedy before Sl wakes up. Thats is the sad part, because there is a lot of good things in place now, but all that good can be lost if the club continues to disregard the emergency alarm bells. That we are so close to the play offs with 7 games to go, and there is this reaction, tells the underlying story. The squad we have is n to perfect, but it can do far far better. Negative goal differences do not lie. 

You say that SL is running blind, but surely Jon Lansdown has his finger on the pulse. He was a fan (or more so than his dad), he watches games, listens to the podcasts, probably even has a sneaky peek on here too. 

The Lansdowns must surely know how bad it is as a spectacle and as a rational footballing project. 

They'll be in meetings with Johnson and he will share his mitigating circumstances such as Afobe, Smith, DaSilva and Nagy injuries, newbies bedding in, maybe even recruitment gripes... And they will give him the courtesy of some time.

I don't think the dismay of the fans, or even the performances, will be the deciding factors for the Lansdowns.

The first thing I think what will have really gotten their goat is the failure to beat Shrewsbury and the loss of big revenue as a result.

Secondly, they will have been told that we return from the break with a fully fit squad, excellent preparation and everyone versed in the philosophy...and we collapse.

Thirdly, expenditure. They've invested a lot and they expect return on investment. Ashton will be adamant that he did excellent business.

Surely Johnson will be feeling the heat.

Archived