IGNORED

Would you want him back?

ohhhshauntaylor

Would you go back?   

283 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It would not be a good idea to bring him back, even if he wanted to come back.

The argument has been raging for long enough, Cotterill was a good manager without the diplomatic ability to work with an owner who wanted things done a specific way. He would not fit in with the owners criteria of what was required now, any more than he did before. Sadly we'll never know what he could have achieved given the backing his successor had. 

Johnson on the other hand, has had the backing of the owner and does meet the criteria for the job. So at the end of the day, MR Lansdown gets what he wants, is happy that the club is being represented in a professional way but, we have a crap manager.

On 29/06/2020 at 01:12, Sniper said:

I'd go and pick up Cotts right now!

I'd have him back in a heartbeat as he gave me one of the best seasons ever, with fight, passion, and team tactics and formation pretty spot on.

No BS buzz words, like dynamic, and identity, and all the other gibberish we hear.

I'd imagine there are so many players under the Bristol City bus at the moment it wouldn't be able to move. Don't recall much of that (I've ****** up again but let's blame the players) from Cott's if any at all.

Imagine what he could have done if he was backed with half that money, let alone all of it.

spot on brought about a good dressing room spirit unlike the fall out and bully boy tactics give him half the money the bully has wasted and see where it takes us.

1 minute ago, ReggyRed said:

I’m sure LJ would want Messi, Ronaldo and Van Dyk but there’s a difference wanting someone to actually signing someone. So not sure what you’re on about to be honest. 

I’d argue that cotts going for unrealistic summer signings cost him his job and nearly got us relegated.

Didnt you know cotts had deals with two of them agreed till lansdown jr moved the goalposts on wages ?

13 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Didnt you know cotts had deals with two of them agreed till lansdown jr moved the goalposts on wages ?

You wanna ask yourself why?

And why was Cotts given alot less time than any other manager under SL?

And it was SL that got involved not Jnr

23 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

Are people suffering from brain rot? Yes, I love Cotts, but he was a good League One manager, he already proved that the  Championship was a step too far.  So you want to replace someone who has taken us to the brink of playoffs, with someone who almost got us relegated? What? 

Can you remember the anger at the time? Whats wrong with peoples memories? Take the League One DVD out of the machine for god sake. 

All that was proven in Cotts' last season with us is that investment was needed to take us further on.

Cotts could only have dreamed about the level of financial support afforded to L.J.

We'll never know what might have been but who really believes that Cotts wouldn't have done a better job than L.J. if he'd had that same level of investment?

10 minutes ago, Sir Leigh of Somerset said:

All that was proven in Cotts' last season with us is that investment was needed to take us further on.

Cotts could only have dreamed about the level of financial support afforded to L.J.

We'll never know what might have been but who really believes that Cotts wouldn't have done a better job than L.J. if he'd had that same level of investment?

Well after seeing us play nearly every game of his last season and the woeful tactics employed, i could'nt see Cotts doing as good a job as LJ as done. Nowhere near.

He'd still have us playing that very predictable tactic of long diagonal balls, which championship defenders read all day long.

39 minutes ago, Riaz said:

on my god! people have very short memories!

Cotts was taking us down - we were woeful under him in the championship

LJ kept us up and we havent looked like relegation fodder since

Yep he was but people often forget that.

The why and wherefore of SC sacking has been done to death and it doesn’t matter now anyway. No way would SC ever come back whilst SL makes the decisions.

As much as I like Cotts I honestly think he'd want to spend a lot more than we realistically could so I feel like we'd be swapping a known entity in LJ for a potentially more costly option that may not improve our position. As much as I love Cotts and what he did for us, I'll genuinely never get over how good that season was, he looked tactically out of his depth in the Championship and the Birmingham fans will agree with this through and through. 

What we need is not the current or the old but a new fresh coach/manager with experience and most importantly, the ability to really understand tactics and work with players to get the best out of them. Afobe on the wing just confirmed to me that LJ isn't confident in himself and he's working more on guesswork than actual knowledge. A good coach/manager will find the best 11 and a handful of players to fill gaps when needed, he'll go for consistency and he'll have an identity for his starting 11, a great coach will have the same along with a plan b and a plan c ready to cover most situations. Currently we have a coach who doesn't even have a plan a, isn't confident with selecting a starting 11 and all this despite building pretty much the entire squad from the ground up. There are coaches out there doing amazing things having only brought in a handful of their own players, all because they know how to get the best out of players and they are tactically strong. 

LJ needs to go, we don't need to recruit a replacement from within and we certainly don't need an "up and coming coach" of he can not do the things I mentioned that a great coach can do. We need a man who can work with the players without having disputes that result in players we are screaming out for sitting on the bench, a man who can give us a footballing identity and a man who can stick to his tactics until he absolutely knows they need to change and is prepared for that change, none of these are LJ. 

Just now, RobintheRed Red said:

But the best football weve witnessed in the last ten years.

Not once we got in the championship. As i said Woeful

8 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

:laugh: waste of time debating with you your a johnson lover i reckon your family .

Ah okay ignore the point...

Some might think there was more than meets the eye....

3 minutes ago, Spike said:

As much as I like Cotts I honestly think he'd want to spend a lot more than we realistically could so I feel like we'd be swapping a known entity in LJ for a potentially more costly option that may not improve our position. As much as I love Cotts and what he did for us, I'll genuinely never get over how good that season was, he looked tactically out of his depth in the Championship and the Birmingham fans will agree with this through and through. 

What we need is not the current or the old but a new fresh coach/manager with experience and most importantly, the ability to really understand tactics and work with players to get the best out of them. Afobe on the wing just confirmed to me that LJ isn't confident in himself and he's working more on guesswork than actual knowledge. A good coach/manager will find the best 11 and a handful of players to fill gaps when needed, he'll go for consistency and he'll have an identity for his starting 11, a great coach will have the same along with a plan b and a plan c ready to cover most situations. Currently we have a coach who doesn't even have a plan a, isn't confident with selecting a starting 11 and all this despite building pretty much the entire squad from the ground up. There are coaches out there doing amazing things having only brought in a handful of their own players, all because they know how to get the best out of players and they are tactically strong. 

LJ needs to go, we don't need to recruit a replacement from within and we certainly don't need an "up and coming coach" of he can not do the things I mentioned that a great coach can do. We need a man who can work with the players without having disputes that result in players we are screaming out for sitting on the bench, a man who can give us a footballing identity and a man who can stick to his tactics until he absolutely knows they need to change and is prepared for that change, none of these are LJ. 

yes definately one with a personality and no more bullshitters and bluffers someone that can attract top players .

46 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

Are people suffering from brain rot? Yes, I love Cotts, but he was a good League One manager, he already proved that the  Championship was a step too far.  So you want to replace someone who has taken us to the brink of playoffs, with someone who almost got us relegated? What? 

Can you remember the anger at the time? Whats wrong with peoples memories? Take the League One DVD out of the machine for god sake. 

What happened at Bristol City is well known. but don't forget he kept Burnley competitive in the Championship for 3 seasons with no money and tiny squad of about 14. He had basically 1 striker - Andy Gray - and when he was out injured in Cotts last season they struggled but he kept them mid table and decided to leave at the end of that season because he couldn't take them any further on the limited funds they had.  He well at Pompey and was poached to go to Forest and only left there when there was  a takeover an the owner wanted a bigger name.

He's done ok previously at Championship level without ever really being backed. He also has 4 promotions on his CV.  I'm sure with the £50M LJ was given he'd have done better but clearly SL can't or won't work with him.

Another negative often aimed at him - mostly by a certain poster on here! - is that he failed to adhere to SL's buy cheap young players - develop - and sell on.....rinse and repeat,  overlooking the buying of Kodjia by Cotts who netted City about £10M in 12 months, unfortunately he never got the chance to "repeat"

14 hours ago, shelts said:

Cotts hasn’t worked much since leaving us . Why ?

Because he loves watching us on a Saturday  at the gate ? He wasn't backed in the summer after promotion he became very frustrated knowing we needed players.. I loved his passion for this club and I know he's held in high regard of former players.. yes I would have him back but we need to move forward and find someone to replace Johnson that can take the club and players to the next level.

I think after 4 1/2 years LJ should now be replaced. However much as I enjoyed our time under Cotts I think that boat has now sailed and it’s too late to go back. I would prefer either an experienced  successful manager with a proven track record or perhaps a highly regarded number two at a premier league or foreign club who is now looking to move up.

1 hour ago, Badger08 said:

The thing that winds me up slightly is, much as I love the football we played under Cotts and great those memories were, the reason we struggled in the Championship was not simply one of quality but that, if you accept the the popular narrative over what happened, the basic facts are - after feeling he was ****** over during the summer around transfer business - Cotts put his ego, sense of grievance and desire to prove a point to the board over the club and was more fixated on proving he was right than keeping us in the division.

I do find it a bit surprising that people who love and support the club feel more of a sense of loyalty to someone who decided the club were less important than they were than to the current manager who, for all of his undoubted faults, genuinely seems to want what is best for the club over all else. Don't get me wrong - I'd like LJ to move on but I find the obsession with a manager who - for all the brilliant football we played - almost got us relegated to prove his point over a perceived slight to be quite a weird one. 

4 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

Another negative often aimed at him - mostly by a certain poster on here! - is that he failed to adhere to SL's buy cheap young players - develop - and sell on.....rinse and repeat,  overlooking the buying of Kodjia by Cotts who netted City about £10M in 12 months, unfortunately he never got the chance to "repeat"

That’s exactly why SC was sacked. SL had lost faith in him because he reneged on what he’d agreed at interview. The trust was gone after SC asked for finances to sign strikers having claimed that he’d “got all that he could out of the squad”

That came from SL himself at Senior Reds Xmas lunch.Why some posters think that its bullshit is beyond me.

12 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

What happened at Bristol City is well known. but don't forget he kept Burnley competitive in the Championship for 3 seasons with no money and tiny squad of about 14. He had basically 1 striker - Andy Gray - and when he was out injured in Cotts last season they struggled but he kept them mid table and decided to leave at the end of that season because he couldn't take them any further on the limited funds they had.  He well at Pompey and was poached to go to Forest and only left there when there was  a takeover an the owner wanted a bigger name.

He's done ok previously at Championship level without ever really being backed. He also has 4 promotions on his CV.  I'm sure with the £50M LJ was given he'd have done better but clearly SL can't or won't work with him.

Not just that...

22 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Heard the rumours but never given any money at florest or Brum Harry spent it all at Brum.

Yeah but he had a great squad at Brum and his selections were awful according to a few of my Brummie mates, they genuinely hated the guy. I don't think he's capable of doing well with a championship club, he practically bought L1 with us, we bought so many top players in L1 and he had the pick of whoever he wanted, when that was no longer an option at Championship level he didn't have the management skills to keep us going. At the time he wanted top Championship /bottom half Premier League strikers to sign for us, that was never going to happen. He was looking to do the same thing at Championship level as he did at L1 level and we didn't have the finances or appeal to players to do that, that's when he lost us. 

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

That’s exactly why SC was sacked. SL had lost faith in him because he reneged on what he’d agreed at interview. The trust was gone after SC asked for finances to sign strikers having claimed that he’d “got all that he could out of the squad”

That came from SL himself at Senior Reds Xmas lunch.Why some posters think that its bullshit is beyond me.

We started the Championship with only Wilbs (who was 36), Agard (who'd never played in the Championship, and Kodjia (who'd never played in the EFL at any level)....................of course we needed strikers.  Cotts was right.     How many strikers has LJ signed?

SL just tells the worshippers what they want to hear at these overpriced lunches you attend. He's hardly likely to say that he f ucked up is he?

Archived