IGNORED

This sums up COD

ohhhshauntaylor

1 hour ago, ohhhshauntaylor said:

Great few snippets on twitter (apologies if shared elsewhere already). 
highlights how poor we are in midfield and then just how utterly useless and frustrating COD is. 

@jbcfc_ is an excellent follow and does some great in depth bits of analysis

I’m really no great shakes at tactical awareness. But those examples of the gaps in midfield when we're in possession are exactly what I’ve been seeing from the Dolman for a long, long time. I’m the bloke with his arms stretched forward towards the middle third of the pitch going, “Look, look - who’s he supposed to pass it to?” in an anguished voice 27 times a game!

I’d have thought that “move into some space ahead of the ball where your team mate might be able to pass to you” was on page 1 of the coaching manual and that a competent coach would be able to identify when it wasn’t happening and do something about it. But clearly not.

Maybe drones have blind spots so it's not obvious in training.

I got talking to an avid lifelong Oxford Utd fan a few months ago, a few seconds into our natter he talked so enthusiastically about COD, said he would have him back in a heartbeat and how amazing he was for them but with regard to his form for us his words were "But you're playing him all wrong"  My impression of his view was just get the ball to him out wide, let him run and cross, don't ask for too much else.

Longer ago I had a similar conversation with a Swans fan regarding Lee Trundle and exactly the same words "But you're playing him all wrong" were used although in this instance it was let Lee go where he wants just get the ball to him in sight of goal, don't ask for too much else.

OK different times, different players and different styles but football is still a simple game, put round pegs in round holes, square pegs in square holes.

9 hours ago, Taylor10 said:

Callum O’Dolittle. God how disappointing has he been? I’m surprised he was one of Lee’s ‘trusted ones’.

Incredibly inconsistent.

And totally afraid of running toward opponents goal with the ball - he stops for no reason and turns back toward his own goal. Frustrating? No, completely brain dead.

9 hours ago, ohhhshauntaylor said:

Great few snippets on twitter (apologies if shared elsewhere already). 
highlights how poor we are in midfield and then just how utterly useless and frustrating COD is. 

@jbcfc_ is an excellent follow and does some great in depth bits of analysis

It sums up a lot mor than just COD. Agree, it's a good bit of analysis and points to a real weakness.

I said on the match day thread yesterday that HNM needs to have players making them selves available, and this highlights that problem. It's all very well criticising him for holding it too long, or giving the ball away, but if there's no red shirt within 40 yards.......

Smith, HNM, Nagy; pick two of 3 for your deep midfielders but it's no use then having Weimann, O'Dowda sitting out on the wings and no other options through the middle. What made it even worse yesterday was the first substitution when we took off HNM for Eliasson, another out and out winger, leaving us with no midfield at all. And sure enough we concede another. 

30 minutes ago, Floatn Over said:

I got talking to an avid lifelong Oxford Utd fan a few months ago, a few seconds into our natter he talked so enthusiastically about COD, said he would have him back in a heartbeat and how amazing he was for them but with regard to his form for us his words were "But you're playing him all wrong"  My impression of his view was just get the ball to him out wide, let him run and cross, don't ask for too much else.

Longer ago I had a similar conversation with a Swans fan regarding Lee Trundle and exactly the same words "But you're playing him all wrong" were used although in this instance it was let Lee go where he wants just get the ball to him in sight of goal, don't ask for too much else.

OK different times, different players and different styles but football is still a simple game, put round pegs in round holes, square pegs in square holes.

I think that's true. As far as I can see, O'Dowda should only be used as a pure wide midfielder. He is athletic and fairly quick, decent dribbler and at times can make an impact with these attributes. I don't think his game is well rounded enough to play centrally. 

Agree entirely about Trundle. Special player and someone we used all wrong. 

I'm not sure that's just O'Dowda to single out. There are plenty of examples this season where our midfield has done things like this. It's so frustrating. 

I do wonder if this is down to the tactics drilled in to them as whenever any of them get too far up the pitch they seem to panic, stop and pass backwards (or in this case lose the ball). 

It's almost like you can see their football brain say, run forward, take players on and then the tactics kick in and tell them not to which results in a panic and mistake. Other teams who do their homework on us have quickly worked out how to counter this.

We don't seem to have any shape or formation. No-one knows where they should be playing, let alone where someone else is to pass too!

If I was manager and had a fully fit squad my XI would be;

Maaenpaa

Pedro Kalas Baker Dasilva

Smith HNM

Palmer

Eliasson

Afobe Wells

Wouldn't be a front 3 - NE would drift between left and right wings to be able to cross. His defensive work/strength have improved a lot. Smith or HNM would always have 1 sitting so would be 2 centre backs + 1 CDM + 1 full back as cover.

Palmer to slide balls thorough to the front 2 + NE when in space

8 hours ago, swanker said:

And some on here actually rate him? Even the commentators on Robins TV were singing his praises last week against Blackburn!

Well they will be the last ones to continue praising him to be fair; no surprise there. 

Its right about him running into an often imaginary wall; very frustrating watching him do that time after time. He has not been the same since his transfer debacle; we should have sold him then when he stalled his decision. Still looks disinterested. Hope he improves in the last few games for what its worth.

I think he’s championship quality and with the right manager at Ashton gate could really make an impact . He wants to play and knows he’s being played in an unfamiliar role while other more suited players are left out. My problem is with the manager 

6 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

But they are not proper football commentators! 

They are puppets of Bristol City who only say what they are allowed to say!

I remember at the beginning of that game they said something along the lines of "everyone gets excited when he's on the pitch as they know what he can do"... couldn't think of a worse description of his play during games

14 hours ago, lager loud said:

I’m really no great shakes at tactical awareness. But those examples of the gaps in midfield when we're in possession are exactly what I’ve been seeing from the Dolman for a long, long time. I’m the bloke with his arms stretched forward towards the middle third of the pitch going, “Look, look - who’s he supposed to pass it to?” in an anguished voice 27 times a game!

I’d have thought that “move into some space ahead of the ball where your team mate might be able to pass to you” was on page 1 of the coaching manual and that a competent coach would be able to identify when it wasn’t happening and do something about it. But clearly not.

Maybe drones have blind spots so it's not obvious in training.

Or maybe the grass is a tad to long

I actually thought he was a lot better yesterday than his totally anonymous performance at Blackburn.

If someone plays 80 minutes or so you can always find something that went wrong as this clip shows.

I do remain to be convinced by him overall & think we are now trying him centrally because we are very weak there with Brownhill gone & because Ireland have done so on occasion.

Agree that he either plays wide left in a 4 or not at all.

17 hours ago, Taylor10 said:

Callum O’Dolittle. God how disappointing has he been? I’m surprised he was one of Lee’s ‘trusted ones’.

Incredibly inconsistent.

16 hours ago, ohhhshauntaylor said:

Consistently inconsistent or consistently useless. 

When was the last time he played anything better than average this season?

Once v Cardiff (a)

A bit of a game v Charlton (h)

The other league games he’s started don’t stand out in the memory:

Leeds (h)

Swansea (h)

Reading (h)

Wigan (h) 

Barnsley (a)

Forest (h)

West Brom (a)

Wednesday (a)

West Brom (h)