IGNORED

Today please Steve

Top Robin

3 minutes ago, mozo said:

Yeah if Lansdown was starting to think seriously about a head coach, the best way to do it would be to give them a few games this season to get a feel for the squad and their output, and also the full 4 weeks break as a pre-season. 

Recruiting after 10 or 20 games next season does render 2020-21 a bit of a write off.

I do think it makes sense to get the Forest game out of the way first, before a definitive decision. 

But I also could see Lansdown waiting longer.

I doubt if we’ll hear anything for a while, but I’d be seriously concerned if the club aren’t already seriously checking out what’s available out there in the market as a replacement.

I personally wouldn’t want us to have caretaker manager, as that wouldn’t gain us anything.  

I’d just like to see us have a fresh start next season, with a new new encumbent already settled in and having as much time as possible to work with what is clearly a talented squad of players, who’ve been badly mis-used through poor team selection and tactics.  

Morale must be falling fast now and the players must be wondering what the hell’s going on at the moment, so it’s little wonder they look a  total mess on the pitch.

38 minutes ago, ReggyRed said:

BLM isn’t political, it’s a humanity issue that everyone should be behind. 

You have done your research about them then I take it as to say they are not political is a bit naïve to say the least, behind there primary message is all sorts of nonsense which I'm sure you probably would not like if you read up on them.

57 minutes ago, 2015 said:

All the same to me. Like EDL group and movement is all the same. People need to read into what this 'movement' actually want, as it certainly is not equality and for Football to get behind it, is disgusting

No. 

The football lads alliance don't represent me at all. Just cause it says football lads doesn't mean it talks for all.

Please do research otherwise you look like a solid gold twerp. 

Just now, Selred said:

No. 

The football lads alliance don't represent me at all. Just cause it says football lads doesn't mean it talks for all.

Please do research otherwise you look like a solid gold twerp. 

Doesn't represent me either. If you read the context of the conversation you'd realise I was stating political activism has no place in Football. I havent once mentioned Football Lads Alliance either. I'm against the core goals BLM, EDL, FLA and that's that.

9 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Doesn't represent me either. If you read the context of the conversation you'd realise I was stating political activism has no place in Football. I havent once mentioned Football Lads Alliance either. I'm against the core goals BLM, EDL, FLA and that's that.

There is politics forum for this discussion so I'm not going to say more than this but the core goal of BLM is saying that Black Lives Matter as much as anyone else's lives and black people should not be killed by police officers or denied access to justice in cases which would be unlikely to happen to people of other races in the same circumstances. I cant imagine that is really a core goal many people are against. 

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

There is politics forum for this discussion so I'm not going to say more than this but the core goal of BLM is saying that Black Lives Matter as much as anyone else's lives and black people should not be killed by police officers or denied access to justice in cases which would be unlikely to happen to people of other races in the same circumstances. I cant imagine that is really a core goal many people are against. 

Ok so I'm against them for wanting to defund the police and them wanting to overthrow governments which is anti democracy and anti human rights of ALL people. Football shouldn't get involved in any of this and to TELL it's players to take a knee is breaching individuals their right to freedom of speech and freedom of expression. The police in this Country are among the best in the World, for anyone to claim them as racist is generalising in itself, most of them are good people who want to help others.

Same in the US, im afraid, where more black people kill black people than cops kill black people. 

Sorry, it is the truth

Getting back on topic, I don't believe SL will act today (much as I would like him to) but two defeats this week would put us at least 8 (and potentially 11 points off the play-offs with 5 games to go). Even two draws are likely to make the gap insurmountable.

I don't see any justification at all for not making a change if we fail to win at least one of the next two games. The next pre-season will be short and we need to get a manager quickly. Even if we probably can't appoint anyone until the end of the season, making a change now would give three or four weeks to get the recruitment right and steal a march on anyone who makes a change at the season's end.

If, come Saturday, we have no wins in seven and are six or more points off the play-offs, a change absolutely has to be made now. And, bar us going on the sort of winning run that only Lee Johnson appears to currently think could happen I don't see any circumstance where he should be in charge beyond the end of the season. 

1 hour ago, Odd socks said:

So what happens when a player does not want to take the knee , everyone would support him also ?

I imagine it would be quite a lot like when players refuse to wear a poppy. Some fans and papers will be upset and outraged, there'll be a bit of a debate online and the world will continue to turn.

At the same time, I've not seen loads of evidence of players not wanting to take the knee. Most footballers are young lads with black and mixed race friends and teammates. All they are being asked to do is to take a knee in support of the idea that their friends and teammates' lives have the same value to theirs. I don't see loads of evidence that any players at all are reluctant to make that statement. 

1 hour ago, 2015 said:

Ok so I'm against them for wanting to defund the police and them wanting to overthrow governments which is anti democracy and anti human rights of ALL people. Football shouldn't get involved in any of this and to TELL it's players to take a knee is breaching individuals their right to freedom of speech and freedom of expression. The police in this Country are among the best in the World, for anyone to claim them as racist is generalising in itself, most of them are good people who want to help others.

Same in the US, im afraid, where more black people kill black people than cops kill black people. 

Sorry, it is the truth

To see it as some kind of competition as to who kills the most black people is to completely misunderstand the point. The simple point is that, in a democracy, every single person should have the same rights and protections under the law. If there is a situation where the murder people from some racial backgrounds is not investigated with the same rigour as people form other racial backgrounds or, even worse, law enforcement officers ignore the legal process act as judge, jury and literal executioner of unarmed people from certain racial backgrounds, that is a massive problem for that democracy. It is vital in any functioning democracy that everyone has equal access to the law. Without that, you have no democracy.

3 hours ago, ReggyRed said:

BLM isn’t political, it’s a humanity issue that everyone should be behind. 

I am afraid it is; as the many people who have donated over a million pounds in recent weeks might wish for their money back now that they know or have read the manifesto. It calls for an end to capitalism, democracy, prisons and the police, condemns the suffragettes, says appointing a Pakistani as a heritage minister is racist, condemns stop and search even if it reduces knife crime, describes charities as colonisers and so it goes on. The trouble with this version of herd mentality is that a lot of people don't fact check first not least your average lazy journalist.

Steve?

19 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

To see it as some kind of competition as to who kills the most black people is to completely misunderstand the point. The simple point is that, in a democracy, every single person should have the same rights and protections under the law. If there is a situation where the murder people from some racial backgrounds is not investigated with the same rigour as people form other racial backgrounds or, even worse, law enforcement officers ignore the legal process act as judge, jury and literal executioner of unarmed people from certain racial backgrounds, that is a massive problem for that democracy. It is vital in any functioning democracy that everyone has equal access to the law. Without that, you have no democracy.

You are missing my original point. Football has no place in politics. For hundreds of people to be told to take a knee when they know little about the BLM cause is pure ignorance. Do not let the media fool you.

You have taken one sentence I have said and have used it for your agenda. The stats say more blacks kill blacks than whites kill blacks. Surely that is contradicting everything they say they stand for?  

Looking at fixtures and the table, it is quite conceivable that come the weekend we could easily find ourselves in 15th or 16th place instead of going the other way.........I don't think Steve will act this week or even next week, but this is the first time that I have felt the majority of fans have had enough (I definitely sit in that camp) and the shouting will only get louder, previously it was mainly fans on here doing the shouting. That has also changed since yesterday with social media outlets being very vocal. Surely it is only a matter of time before the club act, it's quite clear season ticket sales have dropped, although I imagine the pandemic will be used to justify this and not the crap football that has been on show. 

#JohnsonOut #Jexit

6 minutes ago, 2015 said:

You are missing my original point. Football has no place in politics. For hundreds of people to be told to take a knee when they know little about the BLM cause is pure ignorance. Do not let the media fool you.

You have taken one sentence I have said and have used it for your agenda. The stats say more blacks kill blacks than whites kill blacks. Surely that is contradicting everything they say they stand for?  

It doesn't contradict it in the least, which is the point I am trying to make.

The issue is not simply one of people of a particular race getting killed but those people's families not getting the same access to justice as other citizens of a democracy. So it is things like the Ahmed Arbery case, where the killers hid behind a fake claim of self-defence until a video clearly showed their story was untrue or the multiple cases where black people were killed by law enforcement officers where white people people would not have been.

Of course, the murder of anyone is a tragedy. However the fundamental problem is one of unequal access to justice. It's not about "who kills the most people of a particular race" but "everyone should have equal access to justice in a democracy". All you need to believe in order accept the statement that "Black Lives Matter" is to believe that everyone who is killed in potentially unlawful circumstances has their cases investigated with the same rigour and without fear and favour.

As I've mentioned above, there is a precedent in political statements in football, in that clubs in the UK wear poppies in November, which is supporting a cause in a similar way. Personally I've no problem at all with clubs wearing poppies and making that statement. But I don't see why the statement that the lives of black people are of the same value as anyone else's should be seen as a controversial statement either. The FA are with it, FIFA are fine with it, clubs are fine with it and players are fine with it so I really don't see the problem.

But again, much of this probably should be saved for the politics threads. We've got very off-topic...

5 hours ago, Dolman_Stand said:

CHris WIlder and Dean Smith would suggest otherwise but looking at the top 6 currently you may have a point

Dean Smith- did you see their wage bill? Wilder is fantastic, but Dean Smith- said it elsewhere, a club wide effort to get promotion or bust- had they not gone up, big problems which might still manifest themselves if they come back down. Saw some stat that said they had the 2nd highest wage bill in Championship history though happy to go and check that one!

There have been thousands of posts regarding our manager and who might replace him. I don’t wish to replicate anything that’s been said but would like to offer a perspective for others to challenge or even to agree with.

Everyone wants Bristol City to be successful. Success means winning football matches and ultimately winning promotion and trophies. I hope that we can at least all agree on that. In addition I suggest that most fans would like to see us not only winning football matches but playing entertaining and attractive football.

Arguably, other ‘stakeholders’ (especially those whose investments and livelihoods are at stake) are perhaps more concerned with results and less concerned with entertainment.

It is these two potential differences that I want to focus on.

Many fans are saying that our results and style of play are simply not good enough and many have had enough and want a change of manager. For the record I’m in this place now.

Those who run the club may feel the same way but they are tasked with doing something or not about it.  The faith that has been shown to LJ by our hierarchy is commendable and in part might be explained by the realities of changing manager.

After four and a half years the evidence points towards LJ not being good enough in terms of winning football matches and ultimately winning promotion and trophies. Football is a results business. This season he has certainly succeeded in providing very poor entertainment or precious little attractive football. Hence the growing disquiet among the fans for a change of manager.

If, as I have suggested, the Board and other stakeholders are more concerned with results than entertainment then its likely they too are considering the future as we look to be heading towards a mid-table finish.

They will of course need to decide whether to stick or twist and if they decide on a change then the big questions have to be addressed……..when is the best time, who would fit with our approach, set up and strategy, who else would need to come and go, etc, etc. Some of the multitude of factors involved will inevitably be inter-related and depend on things such as timing, money and our place at the table. Based on the way our club is run it’s reasonable to expect that the dossier on potential managers is a constant work in progress.

In short.... even if there is a consensus at the top of the club that a new manager is required the process of replacing LJ needs to be really very carefully handled. Then we will hopefully end up with what we want - a manager who (working within our ethos) can win football matches, gain promotion, win trophies and do so while serving-up attractive and entertaining football.

16 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

There have been thousands of posts regarding our manager and who might replace him. I don’t wish to replicate anything that’s been said but would like to offer a perspective for others to challenge or even to agree with.

Everyone wants Bristol City to be successful. Success means winning football matches and ultimately winning promotion and trophies. I hope that we can at least all agree on that. In addition I suggest that most fans would like to see us not only winning football matches but playing entertaining and attractive football.

Arguably, other ‘stakeholders’ (especially those whose investments and livelihoods are at stake) are perhaps more concerned with results and less concerned with entertainment.

It is these two potential differences that I want to focus on.

Many fans are saying that our results and style of play are simply not good enough and many have had enough and want a change of manager. For the record I’m in this place now.

Those who run the club may feel the same way but they are tasked with doing something or not about it.  The faith that has been shown to LJ by our hierarchy is commendable and in part might be explained by the realities of changing manager.

After four and a half years the evidence points towards LJ not being good enough in terms of winning football matches and ultimately winning promotion and trophies. Football is a results business. This season he has certainly succeeded in providing very poor entertainment or precious little attractive football. Hence the growing disquiet among the fans for a change of manager.

If, as I have suggested, the Board and other stakeholders are more concerned with results than entertainment then its likely they too are considering the future as we look to be heading towards a mid-table finish.

They will of course need to decide whether to stick or twist and if they decide on a change then the big questions have to be addressed……..when is the best time, who would fit with our approach, set up and strategy, who else would need to come and go, etc, etc. Some of the multitude of factors involved will inevitably be inter-related and depend on things such as timing, money and our place at the table. Based on the way our club is run it’s reasonable to expect that the dossier on potential managers is a constant work in progress.

In short.... even if there is a consensus at the top of the club that a new manager is required the process of replacing LJ needs to be really very carefully handled. Then we will hopefully end up with what we want - a manager who (working within our ethos) can win football matches, gain promotion, win trophies and do so while serving-up attractive and entertaining football.

I think the biggest factor in all of this is ticket sales, that's what will be a big factor in deciding to change, certainly above entertainment although not results. But then ticket sales and entertainment go hand in hand, if it's entertaining people are more likely to watch (subject to being allowed to watch). As I've stated previously I think the club will use the pandemic for falling sales and thus keep Johnson in a job that little bit longer.

#JohnsonOut #Jexit

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Dean Smith- did you see their wage bill? Wilder is fantastic, but Dean Smith- said it elsewhere, a club wide effort to get promotion or bust- had they not gone up, big problems which might still manifest themselves if they come back down. Saw some stat that said they had the 2nd highest wage bill in Championship history though happy to go and check that one!

A couple of things on that:

1. Given Smith joined Villa in October 2018, I'm not sure he had any influence on player contracts. 

2. Villa were probably gambling on promotion knowing that Grealish was c£30m of talent, and McGinn and others could raise a few quid.

3. Smith proved he can do more with less at Brentford. With us he'd be at a club bang in the middle.

Archived