IGNORED

Today please Steve

Top Robin

28 minutes ago, mozo said:

A couple of things on that:

1. Given Smith joined Villa in October 2018, I'm not sure he had any influence on player contracts. 

2. Villa were probably gambling on promotion knowing that Grealish was c£30m of talent, and McGinn and others could raise a few quid.

3. Smith proved he can do more with less at Brentford. With us he'd be at a club bang in the middle.

1. They made £9.9m worth of signings in January plus a number of loans- that probably added to it.
  2. Sold the ground for a reason- I've looked at their accounts in some significant detail. Just imagine they stay down and promotion and Xia payments unnecessary- £23m loss despite and inclusive of £36m ground sale, £14m HS2 revenue (think the rounding may take that sum total to £51m but anyway), maybe an estimated £15.5m in Parachute Payments and £10m in profit on disposal of players. From some angles, it was promotion or bust- a wage bill of £75-80m before and exclusive of any promotion bonuses!!
  3. Think Frank is an upgrade in a number of respects. Smith has strong points for sure, but defensive organisation? I don't mean in a Pulis/Warnock etc but defensive organisation- nah. He showed it at Brentford, he showed it with such an expensive squad at Aston Villa. Higher level this season too but I won't necessarily judge him on that in some ways.

Bear in mind it was their last year of parachute payments too...few problems! Huge shortfall, loans expiring and little (FFP headroom anyway) cash to replace them with- it was in some ways promotion or bust. I'm not fully sold on Smith.

7 hours ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Incredibly it is possible and those who know anything about LJ know he is as streaky as they come.

Do I think it will happen - no. Do I feel it times to change - yes. But we’ve seen so many times before that we’ve been shockingly bad and then win 4 on the bounce and suddenly we look good. 

I want him gone as you do, but I totally agree that the good and bad streaks are such a "thing" about his managerial career, that we should not discount the possibility.  The streaks have pretty much been present through his entire time in management, but the one thing we can't be totally sure of is that, just because our current form has been abysmal plus the fact that the last 2 seem to have blown our play off chances does not mean we can't get back on a winning run (with a little caveat at the end of this!)

To check out our most current history we started our most recent good run after a six match run where we lost every game except for Luton at home, culminating in the 0-4 thrashing at AG on New Year's Day.  Did anyone then think we would go on another 6 match run (League only) in which we would win 5 (3 of them away with 4 clean sheets in all 6 games)? Probably not.  And now we are on another horrendous run.  

So we are surely due for another winning streak starting at Forest, then home to Cardiff, which will then gather so much momentum that we breeze into the play-offs.  Well, yeah, but no, but etc.  The one consistent thing so far about Streaky Lee is that, if we ever need a winning run to get us into the play-offs, the opposite will happen, part of the Club's soft underbelly probably!  So my gut feeling is that we will keep losing points until we can no longer mathematically make the play-offs, following which we will go on a decent run in the last 3 or 4 games and end up in the top 9, which will probably save his skin. It's called SOD's law (no I don't want him back either!) I think the only circumstance in which SL will act is if we just totally implode for the rest of the season, after failing to get anything from the next couple of games!

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

There is a politics forum is there not?

Meanwhile....anytime now Jon/Steve! Thanks Redoxo!

Yep, but look at Bristol City twitter.

Politics and football are intermingled now whether we like it or not.

2 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Yep, but look at Bristol City twitter.

Politics and football are intermingled now whether we like it or not.

YEP....But apparently you cant have a 1 inch poppy on the sleeve of an England shirt on armistice day!

I think we all know really that nothing will happen at the moment, the situation will be assessed at the end of this season and I think LJ will unfortunately get the start of next season, it's when we are in a relegation battle which we surely will be and crowds dwindle, which I think they will that SL may be forced to take action but he will be very reluctant to do so.

2 hours ago, weepywall said:

I think we all know really that nothing will happen at the moment, the situation will be assessed at the end of this season and I think LJ will unfortunately get the start of next season, it's when we are in a relegation battle which we surely will be and crowds dwindle, which I think they will that SL may be forced to take action but he will be very reluctant to do so.

Talk about being reactive instead of being proactive. If everyone else can see the problem before us, why can't he? 

I think JL said recently 12k STH's had renewed before lockdown. Not bad.

But how many were there this season - 15-16k was it?

I can't imagine many of the 3-4k who hadn't renewed suddenly enthusiastically besieging the club to get their seat to watch another year of this terrible football.

With change though - PLUS a really positive appointment to inspire the fans it may actually be enjoyable occasionally to watch City at AG - I expect many non re-newers would view the prospect of having a ST next season far more positively.

If up to 25% of STH's do not renew SL will surely have to ask himself why - the answer, and solution (although it may already be too late for some) is pretty obvious afaic.

On 29/06/2020 at 16:14, mozo said:

If City win 6 of the 7 remaining games, we could make the play offs. I don't think you can sack Johnson when he still has a slim chance of achieving his objective. 

How many chances ? Lets face it we have played crap boring football for a while now. He needs to go 

On 29/06/2020 at 09:14, mozo said:

If City win 6 of the 7 remaining games, we could make the play offs. I don't think you can sack Johnson when he still has a slim chance of achieving his objective. 

Stop Press:  Sad and deluded individual spotted watching Flying Pigs over Bristol...........Pope also seen streaking naked through Vatican City!

54 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I can't imagine many of the 3-4k who hadn't renewed suddenly enthusiastically besieging the club to get their seat to watch another year of this terrible football.

With change though - PLUS a really positive appointment to inspire the fans it may actually be enjoyable occasionally to watch City at AG - I expect many non re-newers would view the prospect of having a ST next season far more positively.

If up to 25% of STH's do not renew SL will surely have to ask himself why - the answer, and solution (although it may already be too late for some) is pretty obvious afaic.

Sack anybody not called Johnson .

17 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Stop Press:  Sad and deluded individual spotted watching Flying Pigs over Bristol...........Pope also seen streaking naked through Vatican City!

Well I don't condone cross species breeding, but I'm all for the Pope expressing himself through naturism...

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I think it was about 14.5K including half season tickets. 

Why would anyone else buy a season ticket now - with every possibility that we won't be able to attend for the first half of the season?

I will want a refund for mine if I can't be there!

On 29/06/2020 at 09:14, mozo said:

6 wins?! The last win we had was in February against Derby when we had a 3 goal lead and almost threw it out the window.  The last time we won 6 out of 7 games was in January.... 2019, that's 17 months ago! There is no way he's pulling off a 6 out of 7 win streak when we have Forest, Cardiff and Preston still to play. The way we've been playing since the return of football we'd be lucky to beat Stoke right now! 

Honestly, I don't get the over positive attitude of some people with this club, I mean I'd love to be so positive that I could sit on a sinking ship singing along happily as it sunk but it's just not me, I want to fight, I want my club to fight and I want to see success. 

Archived