IGNORED

Pro’s and cons of LJs reign

Robbored

Pro’s

Has made season on season progress in the Championship table despite having to sell on his better players pretty much every window and rightly or wrongly that’s exactly what SL expects. Personally I like way he conducts interviews. I feel he tries treats us fans with respect by using coaching speak that few fans actually understand.......but at least he tries. 

Cons

He’s prone to runs of losses and tends to react by changing the team in an effort to stop the rot (we saw a glimpse of that yesterday with 7 changes).

His style of play lacks any real flair or tempo and has often been described by fans as boring, drab and uninspiring. Many are fed up with the lack of excitement on show. Personally I think he’s way too cautious when he sends his team out. It’s as if they’re under strict instructions on what they can and can’t do. 
Take Eliasson and CoD for example. Both skilled, pacy with quick feet but how often do we see either of them have the freedom to try to create havoc? The teams looks shackled to me. 

Imo the explanation for that is that LJ is way too concerned about losing the match and tends to massively over complicate  what is a simple game. 

Summary

Despite losing his better players thru transfers I feel that LJ has been at AG long enough to have created a squad capable of reaching the top six but so far has failed to do so and it’s looks increasingly unlikely this time around. That  means SLs dream of the PL Riches goes on hold for yet another season.

Will SL have lost patience with LJ yet?  because regardless of what we fans think its ultimately his decision on LJs future at AG.

My feeling is that maybe, just maybe that he has..........

Massive con for me is the grey, lifeless, sterile boring football served up now for quite some time. I just won't spend hard earned money to watch that crap and I don't actually care what position we are sitting in the league - it's just soul destroying to watch.

I think one pro, whether that's down to LJ or just coincided with his time here, is that the profile of the club is larger than when he first arrived. Perhaps I'm being a bit unfair, year on year progression would've definitely helped with that. 

I think we're a more attractive proposition to potential new managers than we were in 2016. 

Pros - :dunno:

If you like interviews then we should bring in Graham Norton . I agree that LJ talks the talk and tries to inform us about the game ( like the much maligned SOD did ) 

Effectively he has given us a presence in the media that hasn’t been there much before . I would prefer that he had some concrete achievements to make his opinion worthwhile. 

Every club , bar a handful, has to sell their best players but the money has been made available to LJ to improve the team which he has failed to do .

Cons - Inconsistency, clueless, blaming players when it’s his responsibility, over complicating the game. 

Summary - Time to go Lee.

Pro's - it hasn't been bad all the time.

Con's - lack of action during matches to alter the tactics etc. 

Propensity to blame players (when they weren't even on the pitch). Lack of management skills (as opposed to coaching). Too much spin, buzzwords. Mostly, I find his over reliance on certain players concerning. It seems a shame that we might lose specific players because of his inability to coach them or play them to the best of his ability. We have had some gems over the last 5 years and I am so disappointed to not see them reach their potential because of this.

Over-reliance on stats and computer data when assessing a player. A combination of skill and footballing knowledge is required to interpret data and not just go by 'scores' on a program, but that would appear to be unfashionable and old hat. 

show our identity? we lost that years ago and no one has a clue how we are going to set up, who will play, if LJ has a best team.  He is the ultimate tinkerman and while many talk about the spinning tombola each week, in jest, it sometimes looks like that.?

He has so many clubs in the bag, and the KP signing at 4+million is another huge question mark.  SL will not be seeing year on improvement for sure.  Times up sadly 

10 minutes ago, Lez said:

People go on about him having to sell his best players.....that happens to every club in this league.

Swansea lost their 2 best players and manager, Millwall lost their manager, Brentford lost their best player, Cardiff changed manager, Derby lost their 3 best players and manager. It doesnt wash with me (discussed on latest osib, link to listen below, hint hint plug plug)

6 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

Pro - he's helped to raise the profile of the club and has no doubt contributed to a more professional set up.

Con - he is the David Brent of football management.

Summary - lovely bloke, good ideas, but cannot practice what he preaches. Time for a change.

Brilliant summary- there won't be many other Managers who are as committed and passionate about BCFC as Lee has been and still is. I believe he's always done his best and given his all but is now taking us into a cul- de- sac. I feel much better about my club generally now than I have ever done before ( save Cotts double season).

Whilst it appears that his best is not quite good enough, I'd just hope that the vitriol towards him can be moderated. . As far as SL is concerned - he'll act when he thinks its appropriate and in the best long term interests of the Club he owns and massively subsidises, not because a load of fans who may or may not actually attend matches are demanding it.

Think we should look at the positives, he took a struggling team and has turned us into play off contenders, and given us a fantastic cup run. All that whilst selling his best players for good fees. 
This season has been a major disappointment with big money signings not performing to standard. Midfield has been very poor, with the ‘upgrade’ ? of Nagy, HNM and KP contributing very little. 

Pro's : Not many.  There are some good players in the squad. I don't know who's really responsible for signings.  When they're good it's LJ. When they don't work out LJ says they're Mark Ashton's.

Cons: Too many. Boring football, Tactically  Poor,  Bad team selections, wrong formations, wrong substitutions, no identity, too many changes,  No settled style of play.  Cringeworthy David Brent-esq sty;e interviews. Big ego - nothing is his fault. Throws players under the bus.  Players don't respect him (see Wilbs OSIB interview) Very little progress for the money spent and 53 senior and 12 Development players signed

The OP  - @Robbored -  makes the point repeatedly that LJ has had to sell his best players as some kind of excuse for his lack of progress.  I don't agree. Every club sells players, Real Madrid sold Ronaldo , Liverpool sold Suarez. etc etc.  Every club in the championship sells players as well but where LJ has an advantage over most in this league is that he is given funds for more than adequate replacements . As in sell Flint, buy Webster , sell Webster but Kalas,  sell Kelly buy Dasilva, Sell Reid buy Palmer & Wells, sell Kodjia buy Fammy sell Pack buy Massengo and Nagy...............you get the idea.  So it's no excuse. Team building is part of a manager's job - the main part actually - so LJ can't complain as he's been very well supported during this process every season.

Summary:  He has to go. Now.

20 minutes ago, Lez said:

People go on about him having to sell his best players.....that happens to every club in this league.

Agree.

Not having this excuse for one minute. Every single championship club has to rebuild year on year. We may have lost some good players but we have made some massive money in the process.

we are in a much better financial position than most clubs at this level and can therefore re-invest in the playing side. That’s up to Lee & MA to ensure we do effectively and get the best out of any new recruits. More failures than success with new players that’s for sure and for some reason this need to stockpile players.

Posted this originally back in Feb:

POSITIVE

+ Year-on-year progress up the league; from relegation battlers to play off contenders

+ A good away record and some particularly enjoyable away wins

+ The Carabao Cup run and Man Utd win

+ The ability to develop certain players into highly valuable assets that we can sell on for a handsome profit

+ Some very good signings

+ At times, some very entertaining football - most notably the 17/18 pre-Christmas purple patch

+ A sense of being someone who genuinely loves and cares about the club

NEGATIVE

- Poor performances at home, and a lack of entertainment at Ashton Gate

- A lack of consistency in team selection, tactics and formation; a sense of not knowing his best team

- A lack of defined playing style

- Some poor signings

- Some questionable man-management and a tendency towards calling out individual players rather than taking responsibility for a poor team performance

- Irritating management-speak eg “box entries” etc.

- A lack of any previous notable success or achievement

11 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

Pro's : Not many.  There are some good players in the squad. I don't know who's really responsible for signings.  When they're good it's LJ. When they don't work out LJ says they're Mark Ashton's.

Cons: Too many. Boring football, Tactically  Poor,  Bad team selections, wrong formations, wrong substitutions, no identity, too many changes,  No settled style of play.  Cringeworthy David Brent-esq sty;e interviews. Big ego - nothing is his fault. Throws players under the bus.  Players don't respect him (see Wilbs OSIB interview) Very little progress for the money spent and 53 senior and 12 Development players signed

The OP  - @Robbored -  makes the point repeatedly that LJ has had to sell his best players as some kind of excuse for his lack of progress.  I don't agree. Every club sells players, Real Madrid sold Ronaldo , Liverpool sold Suarez. etc etc.  Every club in the championship sells players as well but where LJ has an advantage over most in this league is that he is given funds for more than adequate replacements . As in sell Flint, buy Webster , sell Webster but Kalas,  sell Kelly buy Dasilva, Sell Reid buy Palmer & Wells, sell Kodjia buy Fammy sell Pack buy Massengo and Nagy...............you get the idea.  So it's no excuse. Team building is part of a manager's job - the main part actually - so LJ can't complain as he's been very well supported during this process every season.

Summary:  He has to go. Now.

For me your post loses credibility when you open with “Pros: not many”. Immediately it suggests an unwarranted bias against Johnson.

I’m LJ-out as much as anyone now, but the guy steered us away from relegation and has improved our league position every single year he’s been here. His spending has to be compared to our rivals, not our own history, and he’s never had the benefit of parachute payments and worked with a mid-table budget. Yes, selling players is part of the deal but he has lost players other clubs in our division might have been able to keep hold of.

People talk about LJ’s reign as some sort of disaster - by pretty much any measure it clearly hasn’t been.

13 minutes ago, Taylor10 said:

Agree.

Not having this excuse for one minute. Every single championship club has to rebuild year on year. We may have lost some good players but we have made some massive money in the process.

we are in a much better financial position than most clubs at this level and can therefore re-invest in the playing side. That’s up to Lee & MA to ensure we do effectively and get the best out of any new recruits. More failures than success with new players that’s for sure and for some reason this need to stockpile players.

“More failures than success with new players” - really?

I’d like to see some proper analysis to back that up. It’s an easy throwaway comment to make but is it really the case? To my mind it’s a mixed bag and for every Engvall or Garita there’s been a Dasilva or Tammy.

25 minutes ago, Redpool said:

Brentford lost some very key players over the last year. No excuses at all

In the last 2 seasons Brentford have finished 9th and 11th, we’ve finished 11th and 8th so we were moving in the right direction. Not sure on the net spend figures, would imagine we’ve spent a bit more, but made considerably more. Just saying, clearly things on the pitch for Brentford do look better currently, don’t think they’ll make the top 2 unfortunately, so playoffs and a 75% chance of playing with us in the Championship again next next year. I hope they go up, if we aren’t.

2 minutes ago, zombie said:

In the last 2 seasons Brentford have finished 9th and 11th, we’ve finished 11th and 8th so we were moving in the right direction. Not sure on the net spend figures, would imagine we’ve spent a bit more, but made considerably more. Just saying, clearly things on the pitch for Brentford do look better currently, don’t think they’ll make the top 2 unfortunately, so playoffs and a 75% chance of playing with us in the Championship again next next year. I hope they go up, if we aren’t.

I have this feeling Brentford are going to cause an upset and West Brom will miss out.

Pros - he’s helped stabilise us as a regular team in the Championship.

He managed some of the best football on the eye for a few months, peaking at the Man Utd game.

Cons - I couldn’t tell you what a Lee Johnson team play is like or his preferred style of play or formation.

@Robbored another sensible post following your ban. Good work

3 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

“More failures than success with new players” - really?

I’d like to see some proper analysis to back that up. It’s an easy throwaway comment to make but is it really the case? To my mind it’s a mixed bag and for every Engvall or Garita there’s been a Dasilva or Tammy.

Yes really. 

Until this season I would of said it was a mixed bag but 50+ Players later just how many have been a real success here? 

The main con for me is Leadership. In which he has none. Constantly baiting his own players after poor performances but will happily take the credit when we play well. Man Management at this level is far more important than coaching techniques and drones, I feel.

Pros: some great memories - Tammy, Tomlin free kick at Fulham, the cup run. I'd wish Lee well for the future. Him and his Dad will be great guests for trips down memory lane for years to come.

Cons: for me he represents something that is fundamentally wrong with Bristol City...the whole 'project' business.The 'project' being a long term plan to build the club that Steve Lansdown wants to own, almost regardless of whether the people he's trusting to deliver are up to the job. A project that appears to me at times to treat the paying supporters as an after thought, or an irritant. Lansdown's goals of financial sustainability and managerial stability are laudable, but whereas with the building of the stadium and infrastructure, and in managing the rugby club, he has appointed accomplished people with demonstrable experience to deliver, with City he's relentlessly backing a bunch of relative novices who've not appeared up to the job for some time. It baffles me. 

Summary: thanks for the memories...now let's hire an experienced and talented managerial team to deliver what we are told is the goal, promotion.

18 minutes ago, Henry said:

Pros - he’s helped stabilise us as a regular team in the Championship.

He managed some of the best football on the eye for a few months, peaking at the Man Utd game.

Cons - I couldn’t tell you what a Lee Johnson team play is like or his preferred style of play or formation.

@Robbored another sensible post following your ban. Good work

I have regularly made sensible posts Henry - they’re not a new phenomenon but I am working my levels of irritation and frustration and trying to practice what I preach - ‘let it go’....................:cool2:

Archived